• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why my NSX went and Viper stayed

Well I had..

nsx (fun)
viper (fun)
dodge ram (buisness)
van (family)
jeep (family)

My daughter turned 16 and was begging for a new car. Well Id been taken some heat from my wife over two nice sports cars just sitting their all the time that I hardly ever drive (Your not suppossed to drive these kind a cars every day!!!!!!) So I decided to trade one in to get my daughter a new ride.

After about 5 minutes of thought...... We could talk all day about handling and ride ect. Means little to me. However the mid engine desighn of the nsx was taken into great consideration. As well as rarity were they seemed to be a walsh. Looks wise they are both quite beautiful so again to me this was a walsh.

When the chips were down and it really came to it I looked at the one thing that makes my heart skip a beat about these types of cars. PERFORMANCE.

After haveing my nsx supercharged and the engine blowing and spending big money on a replacement engine (non supercharged at 240 rwhp VS the 330 rwhp when it was supercharged) well it was just slow. But supercharged or not it was honestly always slow next to my 480 rwhp Viper..

This is why I kept the viper. As my nsx would simply get laughed at when it came to this type of competition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XPUFw0gpaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebpJWRMUBYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY4xZqg7dqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM6Z5vWJZXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPglwNGcPO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUSznhw4uw

Last edited:
On a 100% stock motor with 95k and my FIRST time to the 1/4 mile I ran mid 12's at 118. That's with me installing my Angus turbo in 3 1/2 weeks in my garage with Harbor Frieght tools. Yeah, it's faster than you stupid ugly Wiper. Go hang with your Snakey friends.

(bash away)

Well I guess your feeling remorse. The only reason for posting this, is for someone to justify your actions, or for someone to make you feel better. In your case you didn't ask for advice before you made your decision. Well goodluck in your venture.

I dont need to justify my choices in life to anyone and I certainly dont expect anyone else to. In the end your the one who has to live with it.:wink:

I dont question others choices since they are almost always personal, and I try hard not to "defend" cars since that doesn't make a lot of sense...

That said, I think a post like this does beg the question of "why post this?" Also, if street racing and street racing vids are a primary motivator, is it not all about modifications? Leaving aside the issue that street racing is something that I personally have a big problem with, who really cares about comparing showroom stock cars?

So with that said, there will *always* be a "YouTube" of someone blowing away someone else.

Its kind of silly to say the NSX "could never do that", when I can show you half a dozen *S2000s* that would have annihilated every car in those clips. Its all about power to weight and there are multiple 600+HP S2000s running around NJ alone. Not to mention Supras, Mustangs and every other kind of thing hitting near 800-900 genuine usable HP. And sure, you can mod a Viper to do that as well. Or you can start with a Vette and do it cheaper.

In the end, is there a point to it? Really not, IMO, but if there is, one could argue that its actually kind of *more* impressive to take a "sleeper" like an S2000 or an NSX and build it to annihilate Vipers... But in the end all that matters is what makes YOU happy and you did that so have fun and stay safe!

Also, I can guarantee that no one "laughs" at the NSX. Certainly not a GTR or S2000 guy unless they are immature jack offs. Maybe they would laugh at someone *drag racing a stock one* against a heavily modded GTR or s2000 on the highway, but thats really more about laughing at the *driver*, is it not?

Last edited:
Speechless.......

HONDA 4 LIFE!!!

I understand this on two levels:
One, your remorse- because I have a car just like yours that is right and it is awesome. My BBSC car got on an AEM before the SS box had a chance to kill it. You had a BBSC car so you had a taste and then went back to N/A when it blew. I get why you went back to N/A and naturally it paled in comparison to it's old self and the Viper, so you sold it. If you had gotten your car on an AEM before the SS box killed it I bet you would have kept it. Your remorse influenced your post.
Two, I have a car that I haven't been able to get right. Well, in this century anyway. Any ideas for a motor swap in an 84 SVO are welcome.
Some things just don't work out and I feel your pain.
Enjoy your Viper!

maybe later you can sell the viper and get another nsx lol. I always liked the viper, my favorite being a gts, but in the end of the day, it always came to looks and with the reliabiltiy of the nsx, there is really no other car that can compete in ragards to rarity and maintaince. You can make any car fast, but not every car reliable.

I went from a 9 second RX7 to a 13 second missle (NSX). No regrets what so ever.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1iT9uT7x1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Viper vs nsx come on, you can buy 2 vipers for the price of an 02 nsx. Go on ebay, they have more vipers than they have toyota tacomas. I drove buy a house a few weeks ago that had a red viper outside with half the cover on it with bricks on the hood, roof, and trunk, so the cover doesn't blow off. If that doesn't explain it all then I don't know what else can. Wish I took a pic.

I'll be the first to say...I probably would have made the same choice.

When I bought my NSX, I really wanted a '99 Viper GTS ACR (which I still prefer to the SRT-10), but I couldn't spend more than $30k at the time, so I ended up with the NSX (which I definitely don't regret). I would still love to own a Viper one day, but there isn't room in the garage for another monster...though my RX-7 would love a friend. Comparing the NSX to the Viper, just isn't apples to apples, but they are both great cars in their own right.

Not trying to start a war here guys. But the Viper is currently one of the fastest stock cars ever at the ring..7.22

has the worlds largest production engine at 8.x cubic inches

To the guy who said he went 12.5 at 118 with his turbo. Well these 03-06 Vipers run 11.7 at 123 mph stock. My fastest is 11.6 at 125 mph with a few minor mods.

The nsx does have more of a supercar look and the mid engine under the rear glass is pretty sweet.

My only problem with my nsx after around 3 years of ownership was sure you had some definite fans of the car. No doubt. But to many people it was just a slow old Honda. Then some realized the true value.

I hated the term japanese Ferrari. Its isnt anything like a ferrari. But calling it such was almost like a slap in the face for the hard work that went into the nsx. As ferrari's of that era were peices of crap.

The Viper on the other hand never gets compared to anything else as the poor mans this or cheaper Lamborghini ect. like I found happening with my nsx. It is simply a viper with no real equal at doing what it does. Torque and rawness.

A had them both for a year and a half. Honestly its my third Viper and I keep going back to them. But I will likely never again purchase a nsx. Not when nowadays you can get audi R8's ect. that are similar to the nsx but more powerful.

Happy I got to experiance a true everyday supercar for a few years. That part was fun

last day with my nsx. I made the decision based on what I wanted. Not saying its for you. If I only had one or two cars then that may have prompted me to keep the nsx. But thats not the case and wich ever I kept is just a toy.

BTW..Since they killed the viper in 2010 the prices have went up a lot. In 2010 you would be lucky to get 40K for a 2003. Now a year later my friend just sold his 2003 for 50K and the prices keep going up on vipers.

Vipers are finally getting what nsx's have had since 2005

heres the sad day I sold the nsx. Gone but never forgotten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUvtDuyfm7g

The Viper on the other hand never gets compared to anything else...

dont forget these :D

clown.jpg

NSX for a Kia ?? :eek:

Last edited:
I'm curious what the viper forum guys would say if the tables were turned and a guy posted on there that he had sold his viper and kept the nsx - (the story could go something like: "So I sold my viper after I S/C'd it and blew up the motor then bought a used motor and went back to stock, but it is now slower than my turbo NSX that runs 16 PSI doing 600WHP - the power to weight ratio is way better and the handling is 110% better....." etc. etc. etc.)

And BTW - the viper probably is better if all one cares about is going fast in a (sort of) straight line - and having the biggest engine.

I have driven a 10PSI S/C '99 GTS at length, many times and it is a different experience I tell you. (notice I did not say better)

Last edited:
I can't imagine why anyone would pay $50k for an NSX when you can get 500, 600, 700 horsepower cars all day long for less than that.

:frown:

Because it's an NSX... Duh! :rolleyes: LOL

My car always gets more attention then my buddy's viper... if I wanted a 500+ hp car then I would build one! Definitely wouldn't spend no where near $50k to do it (maybe $5k!)... :rolleyes:

E02.jpg

Lets just stick with the facts

I owned both at the same time for quite some time and Im not biased what so ever so here me out here..

Fact- stock 2003-2006 srt10 viper is faster than a stock 2002-2005 nsx

0-60 in 3.8 VS 4.5
Quarter mile in 11.7 at 123 mph VS 12.9 at 112 mph

This isnt a lil faster. This is a MASSIVE differance stock for stock

Honestly a supercharged 2005 nsx will still not run with a stock 2003 viper and only Twin Turbos will beat the stock viper. But what happens if you even bolt on minor mods to the Viper?

FACT-89K base price for a 2005 NSX VS 84K base prive for a convertable or 88K base price for a coupe. They are both in the same price range

FACT-both have less than 30K units made world wide and are bothe VERY rare vehicles

FACT-Both have bottom level exotic status

As FAR as HANDLING. Im in agreeance that my nsx was much easier to drive. But on actual road course the FACT is that a 2002 NSX couldnt even beat a 2002 Z06 in lap times. In comparison a 2003 Viper beats the z06..The porshe TT....lambos..ferraris..ect in all the lap timing test.

The current 2008 ACR Viper is the stock record Holder at numerous venues to include laguana secca as well as the Ring.

NSX while an amazeing car in my eyes. Isnt near the handling capability on a road course as a 2003 and up Viper. Now the 2002 and below GTS viper vs NSX is a much closer battle..

Again. It is a great feeling drivers car. I took great pleasure in driveing my nsx on spirited curvy roads with another friends nsx. but make no mistake stock for stock a srt10 viper is much faster on a road course. Though someone with great talent would be needed to exploit the Viper while a slightly above average driver could ring out a lot of potential from the NSX.

As to what gets more attention. Their were days people paid more attention to the nsx and days people paid more attention to the Viper. Also days it felt like I was driveing a regular car and no one noticed.

Simply put. If I ran into a bunch of sti and evo/supra guys then yea NSX over the Viper all the way. If I ran into a bunch of camaro/vette/mustang guys then Viper all the way. They both represent the near top of the food chain in their respective catergories.

Honestly these days you can get cars that have both of their strong points in one package. If my srt10 keeps raising in value like it has been then I may sell in a year or two and get a Gallardo or V10 audi R8. Both with the mid engine under glass the my nsx posessed, but also with the 500 plus HP V10 that my viper has, and both also great handling vehicles that will turn heads every bit as much as the nsx or viper.

Always will miss the nsx. But wont go back. Enjoy your cars gentlemen, They are VERY worth holding on too. probally shoot myself when a 1991 nsx is worth 70K in 10 years.

heres a vid of my baby's together. What a pair. Always fighting but they really cared for eachother and got along for the most part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryY1sB3K3U

I'm curious what the viper forum guys would say if the tables were turned and a guy posted on there that he had sold his viper and kept the nsx - (the story could go something like: "So I sold my viper after I S/C'd it and blew up the motor then bought a used motor and went back to stock, but it is now slower than my turbo NSX that runs 16 PSI doing 600WHP - the power to weight ratio is way better and the handling is 110% better....." etc. etc. etc.)

And BTW - the viper probably is better if all one cares about is going fast in a (sort of) straight line - and having the biggest engine.

I have driven a 10PSI S/C '99 GTS at length, many times and it is a different experience I tell you. (notice I did not say better)

Most of them honestly dont care about the nsx over anything other than historic merit as the fist all aluminum ect. ect. ect.

They focus on ZR1's and Lambos and Ferraris. Like I said. The 2008-2010 ACR Viper has decimated everything at this point. Faster than a ZR1 to 150 mph and faster than a GTR around the Ring ect.

Ive talked since into quite a few of them as how revolutionary the nsx was to the supercar world. My 1991 nsx interior was STILL GORGEOUS 20 years later..Look at a 1990 ZR1 interior or 1992 Viper interior and have a barf bag ready. Even the ferrari interior of that era was disgusting

I'd say if horsepower is your main criteria, you obviously made the right choice. You've owned both cars, and not just for a short while, so you are making an informed decision.

Everyone has their reasons for selling an NSX. I wanted to drive something different. I always thought the Viper, although very raw, powerful and American was a stereotype of itself. Part of me has to admit that at some level they're cool.

Anyway, I always think of 3 Vipers rotating out of corners and hitting the walls at the track at various track days. In 2 cases I drove slowly around 2 wrecked Vipers before the red flags came out.

This NSX owner had to try very hard not to laugh when he compared his car to those Vipers in that competition.

Last edited:
Because it's an NSX... Duh! :rolleyes: LOL

My car always gets more attention then my buddy's viper... if I wanted a 500+ hp car then I would build one! Definitely wouldn't spend no where near $50k to do it (maybe $5k!)... :rolleyes:

E02.jpg
Wow, where can I go and spend $5,000. and get 500hp! If you can tell me where I can do that I might just buy another NSX and do it! LOL

Back