• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why no hype?

The most tangible thing a supercar can offer to (and stir up hype within) the majority who have no chance of ever buying (or even riding in) one is its appearance, particularly the fascia...

i'd agree with that.

that's what puts posters on the bedroom walls of teenagers. and for adults who do reside in the top few percentage of the population who can afford a car in the six figure bracket, i'd imagine looks is a very important factor, if not the most...

I'm no longer in the market as I just bought a 2016 GTR.

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, what factors influenced your decision? Were you settled on the NSX but changed your mind?

I had a one of the first 2008 GT-Rs and really enjoyed it, and it was a legendary bargain (even though I paid extra for that million layer silver paint). For the past 2-3 years, I have been hoping for an "all-new" model that would complete with the NSX 2.0. I personally don't like new cars near the end of their production runs. Maybe that's not a good policy--- no doubt the "refreshed" GT-R is still an amazing machine on every level.

- - - Updated - - -

i'd imagine looks is a very important factor, if not the most...

Maybe. I had money down on the R8, but switched to a GT-R immediately after I drive the R8 at Infineon and found it to be underpowered (this was original V8 version). My wife was confused as to why I would prefer such an ugly car over such a beautiful one. I would distinguish between "looks" in the sense of a visual signature that suggests something special versus inherent beauty. I'm a bigger fan of the former than the latter--- although somethings they converge.

Last edited:
I'm no longer in the market as I just bought a 2016 GTR. Out of curiosity I looked at the on line NSX configurator and it is pathetic. Not a lot of choices, odd interface, high option cost. Mostly cosmetic. No standard brakes yet. I see a tough row to hoe at this price point, given the underwhelming power to weight ratio. My 2 cents, it will be way more reliable than the McLyin 12C in all it's iterations.

As a footnote to my earlier post regarding the TT Porsche v new NSX......

I attended a huge (for the Pac NW) cars & coffee type event yesterday, June 5,2016 - conservatively 200+ cars. You name it
in Microsoft's back yard, Redmond, WA. Usually go 2-3 time a season and always big crowds.

Mine was the only 991 turbo of the 30 or so Porsches in attendance & reality, it just blended in & was nothing special.....the Lambos & F Cars get a lot of attention +
other older exotics & classics.

I'm no stranger to the NSX (see signature) & in the past met a lot friends at West Coast NSXPO's and other get togethers over the years. Yesterday there were 4 NSX's and
and talking with owners who I knew & didn't about the upcoming NSX - the consensus overwhelmingly boiled down to probably OK but "way too much money". Others who know I was/am an
NSX enthusiast, but have never owned one, echoed the same "WTF is Acura thinking?" I have nothing else to add other than some who think the car will be a 918 competitor
for way less $$$ probably need to sign up for the revival of Trump U.

I think the WTF is Acura thinking is not a bad thing. If one keeps making products that are predictable, then what is the point really? Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. already have that corner. The public already expects them to excel in what they do best.

Most people probably want another S2000 not NSX in terms of affordability. That has been clearly shown for the brand that is Honda. Everyone said the same thing about a $100K 290 hp V6 mid-engine Honda. Even at $60K, there were other JDM lovers who would argue that the $30K JDM supercars were a better bargain. How true was that?

Only this time, the NSX's horsepower level is actually quite comparable to other supercars of contemporary times.

I think the WTF is Acura thinking is not a bad thing. If one keeps making products that are predictable, then what is the point really? Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. already have that corner. The public already expects them to excel in what they do best.

Most people probably want another S2000 not NSX in terms of affordability. That has been clearly shown for the brand that is Honda. Everyone said the same thing about a $100K 290 hp V6 mid-engine Honda. Even at $60K, there were other JDM lovers who would argue that the $30K JDM supercars were a better bargain. How true was that?

Only this time, the NSX's horsepower level is actually quite comparable to other supercars of contemporary times.

You're forgetting one fact......after about 1993 Acura dealers could barely give the NSX away w/o BIG factory to dealer incentives & HUGE discounts.

This continued to 2005 for a total of 249 cars sold in the final year...... Ask me how I know?

Great cars but, overpriced then and more than likely now.

Perhaps the NSX badge is a detriment. The 2.0 car is about as far removed from the 1.0 car as possible while still being a sports car. I'm not sure the NSX 1.0 car or buying experience or anything is relevant AT ALL, other than perhaps getting a tiny bit of inertia and free press from the narrative of this being an evolution of a prior car.

I couldn't care less about the name or badge. I'd like to think that reliability will be good because it comes from the folks who made Civics, Accords and MDXs I have owned (all reliable), but I am considering this car as an all-new platform.

I think a name/market positioning that focused more on the "Performance Hybrid"/"Torque Vectoring" aspect would have been more effective then "The New NSX." It is a different car for a different audience. I think the Cayman is more NSX 2.0 than the actual NSX 2.0, for example.

Agreed. I think it's clear the original NSX was a one off, and this new car is a different species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might make for an interesting poll......should the new car have been called nsx or something completely different.

I'd imagine comparing a 91 911 or 348 to current models wouldn't be much different than comparing an original NSX with the new one.
I've read many Porsche fans consider the air-cooled 911 to be the "real" Porsche's.
Doesn't mean the current 911's are not true Porsche's, they're just different than the old ones.

Honda built up a certain amount of equity in the NSX brand as a mid engine sports car and it makes sense for them to use that.
I'd say whatever Porsche calls a 911 is a 911, and whatever Honda calls an NSX is an NSX.

Congratulations. Out of curiosity, what factors influenced your decision? Were you settled on the NSX but changed your mind?

I had a one of the first 2008 GT-Rs and really enjoyed it, and it was a legendary bargain (even though I paid extra for that million layer silver paint). For the past 2-3 years, I have been hoping for an "all-new" model that would complete with the NSX 2.0. I personally don't like new cars near the end of their production runs. Maybe that's not a good policy--- no doubt the "refreshed" GT-R is still an amazing machine on every level.
- - - Updated - -

The 201X NSX was an internet and tech love affair. Like many others I expected it to come in under $150k and be in my garage by now. Financially 2015 was terrible for me, and I felt led on by a company I trusted and respected.

I had been seeing GTRs on the road and the look grew on me. I'd read a ton of reviews where they were pitted against 911 turbos of course, and did well. In my traded 991 turbo s, comfort mode was still classic 911 skull wump but no excitement. I was also weary of taking huge depreciation hits on cars "too nice" to drive hard, often, and four seasons. (Lots of 12C service calls and headaches.)
So, GTR and no regrets! It's a flat cornering monster as you know, a bit more civilized than in 2008, but most importantly, honest. Not a luxury GT, and something happens when you step on the right pedal. Not drama, not lag. Fine in freezing weather too, to my surprise. I'd much rather have new technology for safety efficiency and just plain bragging rights. By now though the GTR tech is old but the bugs are out. My wife hasn't even sat in it, if that says anything.
I did look at the overpriced R8 V10, and drove the C7 Z06.
Looking for the R36 too...not even on the horizon as far as I've heard.

I'd imagine comparing a 91 911 or 348 to current models wouldn't be much different than comparing an original NSX with the new one.

In fairness, the "last model" NSX was 2005, not 1991. In any case, let's look at the 911 from 1991 versus current.

I present two naturally aspirated, RWD, flat-six, rear engine, manual transmission cars. Remove the badges and any 12 year old will still say "Porsche 911."

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 11808781565_1a824c3306_k.jpg
    11808781565_1a824c3306_k.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 1991-Porsche-911-Carrera-2-004.jpg
    1991-Porsche-911-Carrera-2-004.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 188
But 12 year olds do not sign sales contracts.

Honda created the issue about if the new car should be an NSX by not having a product for 12 model years (let's leave the lack of support for the previous product out of the equation).

Honda new that had mucho brand equity from Gen 1 and chose to use the name. I think that was a good move for them. We are also seeing Lexus not use the SC designation for the replacement coming next year. My sense is the change in segment for the new car is the reason (the LC will be a higher end product than the SC and be far more performance oriented).

In fairness, the "last model" NSX was 2005, not 1991. In any case, let's look at the 911 from 1991 versus current.
I present two naturally aspirated, RWD, flat-six, rear engine, manual transmission cars. Remove the badges and any 12 year old will still say "Porsche 911."

I used a 91 NSX because at that time it was the sum of Honda's thinking on a mid-engined sports car.
As Bricks and bio has stated Honda didn't keep up the evolution of the car over the years so by 2005 it was essentially the same car, out of date, and out of compliance with current standards of the day.

The new NSX is the sum of Honda's thinking on a mid-engined sports car 25 years on.
A new design, a new method of construction, a new type of driveline.
Equally as much of a departure from the norm as the 91 NSX was in it's day.

And the philosophy seems about the same.
Superior handling, driver centered, high quality, many technical innovations, adequate power.
Not the fastest in the class in 91 nor 2016.

Yes Porsche has chosen to keep the family resemblance on the 911 which is astute of them given the long history of the 911 moniker.
Ferrari has chosen to move their design quite a bit from the 328 to the 458.
But under the skin of either one not much, if anything, has stayed the same.

I think those fortunate enough to own the NSX will be delighted with the car itself.
Not the marque with the most cachet, perhaps not the most endearing design, but I believe the car itself will be just a good or better than the 91 was in it's day.

i'll be completely frank and honest here, and i know these remarks will be met with much criticism i'm certain.

when i'm working in the sportscar/Supercar industry, at car meet-ups or rolling around town in my 2002 NSX and the subject of the new NSX comes up, it is never met with much enthusiasm. not by the guys at Autozone, or the Malibu car meet-up crowd, or guys at the race track regardless of what they're driving. i've found it quite surprising, but almost no one i've personally conversed with is really that into the new car...

i'll be completely frank and honest here, and i know these remarks will be met with much criticism i'm certain.

when i'm working in the sportscar/Supercar industry, at car meet-ups or rolling around town in my 2002 NSX and the subject of the new NSX comes up, it is never met with much enthusiasm. not by the guys at Autozone, or the Malibu car meet-up crowd, or guys at the race track regardless of what they're driving. i've found it quite surprising, but almost no one i've personally conversed with is really that into the new car...

The supercar market is crowded now. The new NSX is an all-around performer but lacks a wow factor in design which makes it a difficult sell. I think it's the kind of car that grows (or doesn't) on you. The original NSX had the wow factor -- an amazing, and now proven to be, timeless design. The new NSX will appeal to those who appreciate the hybrid tech, are looking for something different, etc. I think the initial reviews of lack of steering and feel on a background of a botched slow-release has soured many. If the car is good as it is hyped on Prime, it will be a success. Otherwise, it will be an also ran. Only time will tell.

Plus we have the hypercar segment with 900+/- HP to get excited about.

You can get over 700 HP from the HellCat program if you want.

Excitement can be had a a bunch of price points these days.

As of June 5, 2016, the new NSX is still close to vapor ware in many minds.

unless you're a billionaire, or Doctor Evil, Hypercars are pretty seriously out of reach. and Hellcats sure as hell don't interest me in the slightest.

even a $200,000 Supercar is stupid money for an automobile when i could drive past dozens of homeless people a day. but i can rationalise that...

You're forgetting one fact......after about 1993 Acura dealers could barely give the NSX away w/o BIG factory to dealer incentives & HUGE discounts.

This continued to 2005 for a total of 249 cars sold in the final year...... Ask me how I know?

Great cars but, overpriced then and more than likely now.

Tell me about how well the other 90s sports cars that sold too. Even the infamous Z lineup gave up in 1996. The late 90s and 2000s were barren of real sports cars.

- - - Updated - - -

The supercar market is crowded now. The new NSX is an all-around performer but lacks a wow factor in design which makes it a difficult sell. I think it's the kind of car that grows (or doesn't) on you. The original NSX had the wow factor -- an amazing, and now proven to be, timeless design. The new NSX will appeal to those who appreciate the hybrid tech, are looking for something different, etc. I think the initial reviews of lack of steering and feel on a background of a botched slow-release has soured many. If the car is good as it is hyped on Prime, it will be a success. Otherwise, it will be an also ran. Only time will tell.

The original was shunned by critics in design and deemed derivative of Ferrari or Lambo. Now everyone wants to love the "timelessness" of the NSX. I call it the Star Wars effect. The sequel is never going to satisfy all of the fans that waited 20+ years because they have their own expectations of what an NSX should look like.

The original was shunned by critics in design and deemed derivative of Ferrari or Lambo. Now everyone wants to love the "timelessness" of the NSX.

Being an old guy I was there when the 91 NSX came out and agree with you completely.
The comments now about the new NSX are pretty much the same as those made back in the day about the 91.

I always enjoy reading comments from current of NSX's about how they like the design and reliability etc.
And how many comment they'll never sell their NSX and so on.

Tell me about how well the other 90s sports cars that sold too. Even the infamous Z lineup gave up in 1996. The late 90s and 2000s were barren of real sports cars.

- - - Updated - - -

The original was shunned by critics in design and deemed derivative of Ferrari or Lambo. Now everyone wants to love the "timelessness" of the NSX. I call it the Star Wars effect. The sequel is never going to satisfy all of the fans that waited 20+ years because they have their own expectations of what an NSX should look like.

In terms of design -- which is very subjective -- I am just speaking for myself and not about the critics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand you and everyone has their own opinion. My point is that when the NSX first came out from virtual obscurity, the only comparable looking cars were the Lambos and Ferraris, which already had established themselves brandwise. So of course doubters and naysayers are going to say, O, it's an Italian knockoff :rolleyes: Even the Lotus cars were deemed "Better Looking" and "Timeless" over the NSX.

I think this is just history repeating it itself. Depending on reliability and execution of performance, in another 20 years, the NSX 2.0 could reach icon/legendary talk again, if it technically hasn't already as it has a much greater presence among the non-hardcore fans like the ones on these forums that doubt it for their own personal reason (mainly costs.)

whether the Japanese are true exotic sport scar producers or not is in part determined by your age and perspective.At the time in 91 the automotive press was split..the snobs called it an italian wannabe , others applauded it for the precision in construction.Tough sell.....but the rest is history.......now what about those folks born in the lat 80's......to them the Japanese auto industry is a different animal then to those of us born in the 50's and 60's.

Agree ↑↑↑

In 1994 (my 1st NSX) was in a different world compared to anything else I'd ever driven (Star Trek tailpipes aside ha!)

94%20Black_zpsmetg18xq.jpg~original

Last edited:
fast

I am just saying that it is a noisy environment regarding fast, brash cars.

I am no Hellcat fan either but recognize there are a lot of folks that are excited about these kinds of cars.

The way things are going, we may have to wait for Fall before we get a good sense of the lust or less the new NSX will really garner.

Last edited:
Back