• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why spend that much for your NSX?

Have to say, the photo's Brylek has taken are superb, and, without question, seals the deal on Silverstone.

Thank you both for responding to my post.

Best,

DJ

DJ here is a photo of my slightly modded silverstone on the street. It's not as stock as bryleks but every person that walks down the sidewalk does a whole walk-around. I get a crazy amount of questions and compliments on it. It's very mean looking.

56F9FA10-5DBC-4A0E-AC7C-A16E5D0A2AD4-1332-000003C5ECA2839D.jpg

DJ here is a photo of my slightly modded silverstone on the street. It's not as stock as bryleks but every person that walks down the sidewalk does a whole walk-around. I get a crazy amount of questions and compliments on it. It's very mean looking.

56F9FA10-5DBC-4A0E-AC7C-A16E5D0A2AD4-1332-000003C5ECA2839D.jpg

everytime i see this pic it makes me want to do 02 conversion.

Bought my 91 6.5 years ago and have never questioned it. Still to this day there is not another car I would buy for the same money....maybe even twice the money.
Just put a SC kit on it last year and I'm in love even more. If performance is in question...these cars are only a turbo or SC away from silly speed. I just put 300 miles on it yesterday with a couple different groups of car enthusiasts and loved every minute of it. I still get excited every time I get to bring it out of the garage and go for a spin and I can still just sit in the garage and stare at it for a long time and admire it.
I still have yet to have any real reliability problems with my car.
These cars have aged incredibly well that most people think it's some new car when they ask me about it. They are in shock when I tell them its 21 years old.

Bought my 91 6.5 years ago and have never questioned it. Still to this day there is not another car I would buy for the same money....maybe even twice the money.
Just put a SC kit on it last year and I'm in love even more. If performance is in question...these cars are only a turbo or SC away from silly speed. I just put 300 miles on it yesterday with a couple different groups of car enthusiasts and loved every minute of it. I still get excited every time I get to bring it out of the garage and go for a spin and I can still just sit in the garage and stare at it for a long time and admire it.
I still have yet to have any real reliability problems with my car.
These cars have aged incredibly well that most people think it's some new car when they ask me about it. They are in shock when I tell them its 21 years old.

............exactly and you are in the "biz"

Thanks for the heads up, docjohn.

Guys I've chatted with on the FGT Forum are all very happy with the NSX. One conversation comes to mind where the fellow was comparing the NSX to the FGT: "One is like a surgeons scalpel and the other is like a machete."

DJ

That sounds like the characteristic stylings of our own Roger:wink: He too is proud of his lift:wink:

aemnvk.jpg

Pictures always make for a more interesting post.

Are those posts free standing, look like they are not bolted down ? I am thinking to get one, but not sure that they need to bolt down or not since I live in CA earthquake zone.

BTW, you have a beautiful garage!!!

Last edited:
Doctors parking lot

im curious, could you elaborate more on that statement?

Hospital parking lot is often the place where people gossips about who drives what. Doctors showing up to work with Ferraris and Lambos gives out negative images of the profession. No one is going to appreciate your passion for motor sport. The hospital is a place for team work. Many disgruntled workers and office politics. IT is best to leave the flashy cars at home for the weekend. The NSX is the best car to take to work. Reliable, safe, fun, low key and most of all no one is going to judge you negatively. The car guys will give you a thumb up and compliment you. The single girls will think you are a frugal and responsible physician. Older doctors will think you are mature with your profession and money. The patients will see you as a nice and dependable physician they can refer to family and friends.

Comments I heard when my buddy (an orthopedic surgeon) began driving his neon green Gallardo LP 560 to work on a daily basis.

Patients: Oh that doctor is charging me way too much for the procedure. I just paid for that flashy car of his.

Older doctors: This young doc has never seen money before and is eager to blow it all off on a car. Is this guy committing medicare fraud. He's never been named in a medical malpractice law suit? What's his story?

Single nurses: That Doctor with the flashy Ferrari / Lambo is a player and womanizer. Be extra careful with this one. Probably going through early mid life crisis, divorced with child support and alimony to pay.

I am a car fanatic and complement on his good choice in cars. But toys should be left home. Bringing a toy to school will create trouble for any kids popular or not.

Love the look of your car, TURBO2GO.

It certainly can be a ton of fun driving these super-cars as well as watching others appreciate the beauty of these rolling works of art. I'm sure too, that most every time you pull into the gas station, it is an "arrival event" with car guys wanting to take pictures and asking questions about your ride.

Great car and wonderful color.

Best,

DJ

Last edited:
Are those posts free standing, look like they are not bolted down ? I am thinking to get one, but not sure that they need to bolt down or not since I live in CA earthquake zone.

BTW, you have a beautiful garage!!!

Thanks for your post, drtruong.

These are free standing posts and have optional wheels that attach to the lifts for moving the lifts as needed, a feature I've used many times.

Would be best if you consulted an expert on the bolting down issues for your area. While I'm in the quake zone as well, I believe the lifts will dance on the floor along with "every thing else" and at the same rate. Since the cars are not "bolted" to the lifts, the thinking is, they will travel along with the lift as the earth shakes....... Hope I never have to find out if my thinking is flawed.

Appreciate your kind comments on the garage too.

Best,

DJ.

Where the next super-car will reside:

aemnvk.jpg

Pictures always make for a more interesting post.

I like your style. They say variety is the spice of life:

Italian exotic, check
American exotic, check
German exotic, check
Japanese exotic, Doh!! :eek:

Back to the original question, why did i spend that much? My reasoning might differ from others because Japan was, and is, a real part of my life (you can imagine that after living there for almost a decade). I've driven if not owned most of japans turbos while there, I met a number of friendlies there that I had the pleasure of sitting in during drags/drift events, and dealer hopping for test drives was fun. Its a little piece of Japan that I will keep, and cherish. Why the NSX is an icon and how where it stands in the automotive history are just side effects. It reflects "Japan" all over it, focus on balance vs power, efficient, lightweight, futuristic, stylish. My souvenir and trophy.
IMG_2623.jpg

Last edited:
thats a special pic Lamini!:cool:

Re: Doctors parking lot

hmmm not sure if i agree with your argument :rolleyes:
your statement below assumes that the general public can distinguish an NSX as a honda and not some "exoctic" sports car. I would venture to say that the average person would not be able to tell the difference between a red ferrari and a red NSX... To them it looks like a flashy expensive car... one they aren't used to seeing...as such they will automatically assume that its exotic (expensive).

"The NSX is the best car to take to work. Reliable, safe, fun, low key and most of all no one is going to judge you negatively" - maybe at cars and coffee but not at some random parking garage surrounded by camrys and suv's.

"The single girls will think you are a frugal and responsible physician"
sorry I had to laugh at this one :biggrin:
from my experience most girls have no idea honda made anything
outside of accords and civics

"Older doctors will think you are mature with your profession and money" - Most older doctors wouldnt know anything outside of a S class mercedes or 7 series BMW...they are about as cluless as the single girls above.

"The patients will see you as a nice and dependable physician they can refer to family and friends" - way too much ASSumptions here for me to even begin to explain :biggrin:

"The car guys will give you a thumb up and compliment you" - finally something I can agree with you on :tongue:

zaid

Hospital parking lot is often the place where people gossips about who drives what. Doctors showing up to work with Ferraris and Lambos gives out negative images of the profession. No one is going to appreciate your passion for motor sport. The hospital is a place for team work. Many disgruntled workers and office politics. IT is best to leave the flashy cars at home for the weekend. The NSX is the best car to take to work. Reliable, safe, fun, low key and most of all no one is going to judge you negatively. The car guys will give you a thumb up and compliment you. The single girls will think you are a frugal and responsible physician. Older doctors will think you are mature with your profession and money. The patients will see you as a nice and dependable physician they can refer to family and friends.

Comments I heard when my buddy (an orthopedic surgeon) began driving his neon green Gallardo LP 560 to work on a daily basis.

Patients: Oh that doctor is charging me way too much for the procedure. I just paid for that flashy car of his.

Older doctors: This young doc has never seen money before and is eager to blow it all off on a car. Is this guy committing medicare fraud. He's never been named in a medical malpractice law suit? What's his story?

Single nurses: That Doctor with the flashy Ferrari / Lambo is a player and womanizer. Be extra careful with this one. Probably going through early mid life crisis, divorced with child support and alimony to pay.

I am a car fanatic and complement on his good choice in cars. But toys should be left home. Bringing a toy to school will create trouble for any kids popular or not.

Last edited:
Re: Doctors parking lot

hmmm not sure if i agree with your argument :rolleyes:
your statement below assumes that the general public can distinguish an NSX as a honda and not some "exoctic" sports car. I would venture to say that the average person would not be able to tell the difference between a red ferrari and a red NSX... To them it looks like a flashy expensive car... one they aren't used to seeing...as such they will automatically assume that its exotic (expensive).

"The NSX is the best car to take to work. Reliable, safe, fun, low key and most of all no one is going to judge you negatively" - maybe at cars and coffee but not at some random parking garage surrounded by camrys and suv's.

"The single girls will think you are a frugal and responsible physician"
sorry I had to laugh at this one :biggrin:
from my experience most girls have no idea honda made anything
outside of accords and civics

"Older doctors will think you are mature with your profession and money" - Most older doctors wouldnt know anything outside of a S class mercedes or 7 series BMW...they are about as cluless as the single girls above.

"The patients will see you as a nice and dependable physician they can refer to family and friends" - way too much ASSumptions here for me to even begin to explain :biggrin:

"The car guys will give you a thumb up and compliment you" - finally something I can agree with you on :tongue:

zaid

lol having parked in doctors lots for 20 years I can agree with you ....the stuff you responded to is bassackwards.

Do you know how much it costs to change the brakes on a GTR?

From Automobile Magazine...

""22,872 miles The brake squeal is unbearable, and our dealer tells us that it's time for replacement. Total cost for pads, discs, fluid and labor? A staggering $7346!"

Do you know how much it costs to change the brakes on a GTR?

From Automobile Magazine...

""22,872 miles The brake squeal is unbearable, and our dealer tells us that it's time for replacement. Total cost for pads, discs, fluid and labor? A staggering $7346!"

Holy crap. What month is that in?

I am pretty sure a handy mechanic man can do that for fraction of the cost, except maybe the parts are expensive. Stealership needs your money for his new house.

I am pretty sure a handy mechanic man can do that for fraction of the cost, except maybe the parts are expensive. Stealership needs your money for his new house.

Brakes are by Brembo. Only Brembo makes the brake parts for GTR. So the only cost you would be saving would be the mechanic's labor cost and some savings on a mechanic's discount on materials vs Stealership cost.

GTR weighs in with driver at approx: 4000 lbs. The brakes that will stop a 4000 lb car that can top out at 196 mph would have to be "special" and "special" will not be cheap.

Last edited:
Here is my last response to the OP for "why spend that much for your nsx"

BECAUSE I CAN!!! :)

Ps that's not an attack..just a statement

LOL, good statement!

When I see people come in here and ask questions about the NSX like this, it's obvious they are clueless.

People spend money on way dumber things and lose far more (just ask my buddy who gambles how much he loses per year). The NSX is chump change in comparison. Just buy the car if you can afford it, if not go buy something else.

NSX owners buy these cars not because it's the fastest but it's because WE WANT TO!

^Actually, I don't think the original question was a bad question. I assumed that most people with the means to afford the NSX have the ability to reason, and I was simply interested in their thought process. Sure, there are some people who just buy it because they can (like Honda Civic fanboys who remain fans just because). Thanks for sharing your opinion though.

I'll tell you one thing, this fella won't be suckered into buying a $50k+ S2000, no matter how much the owner thinks it's worth. FYI, I'm a current S2000 owner, and a big fan.

question was fair and OP was polite about everything and imo rational re his reasoning (faster/more modern/less milage/newer) options out there for similar money.

at this point however this thread has pretty much exceeded its lifespan of usefulness.

^Actually, I don't think the original question was a bad question. I assumed that most people with the means to afford the NSX have the ability to reason, and I was simply interested in their thought process. Sure, there are some people who just buy it because they can (like Honda Civic fanboys who remain fans just because). Thanks for sharing your opinion though.

I'll tell you one thing, this fella won't be suckered into buying a $50k+ S2000, no matter how much the owner thinks it's worth. FYI, I'm a current S2000 owner, and a big fan.

Well, you have to understand that S2000 don’t cost $50k brand new. An NSX cost $90k+ when new, is not like sellers are out there asking for more than what the car originally cost. <O:p</O:p

Well, you have to understand that S2000 don’t cost $50k brand new. An NSX cost $90k+ when new, is not like sellers are out there asking for more than what the car originally cost. <O:p</O:p

It was an inside joke.
It was a joke about s4play's $50k+ S2000 that he is trying to sell.

Back