• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wide Band O2 sensor at Dyno?

ak

Legendary Member
I was curious...people talk about using WideBand O2 sensor at Dynos to read the air/fuel ratio accurately. I'm just wondering how and where they hook the probe for the sensor?

It depends on the shop. I've seen some drill a hole in the exhaust wherever they please and stuff a plug in it later. Others have a long flexible probe that gets run up the tailpipe. The tailpipe ones might not be as good if they can't get it far enough up, but otherwise they're OK. Or, you could get the specs from your local dyno shop and install your own fitting.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 25 February 2002).]

Originally posted by ak:
uhhuh, that's interesting. hmm but who would want to drill into their exhaust!

If it's done well, no big deal, and it can be useful for installing your own EGT sensor or the like. After all, there are already fitting for other things such as the stock sensors. But my point about some shops is that they are less than careful about doing it properly. Too many customers who don't know any better.

Here is my theoretical response: As long as the minimum operating temperature of the sensor is maintained, then it can simply be inserted in the tailpipe. The NGK WB O2 sensor has a heater which helps it maintain correct operating temperature.

By the way, the cost of the WB O2 sensors have come down considerably (about $120 for the NGK - I just received one from Partsbin.com). The interface electronics is also very cheap now, there is a DIY design on the DIY EFI web page (www.diy-efi.org) if anyone is interested.

I hope the days of tuning with a narrow band O2 sensor will soon be over.

Bryan Zublin

------------------
Zublin Engineering
http://www.zublin.com

Originally posted by BryanZublin:
Here is my theoretical response: As long as the minimum operating temperature of the sensor is maintained, then it can simply be inserted in the tailpipe. The NGK WB O2 sensor has a heater which helps it maintain correct operating temperature.

By the way, the cost of the WB O2 sensors have come down considerably (about $120 for the NGK - I just received one from Partsbin.com). The interface electronics is also very cheap now, there is a DIY design on the DIY EFI web page (www.diy-efi.org) if anyone is interested.

I hope the days of tuning with a narrow band O2 sensor will soon be over.

Bryan Zublin

Holy Smokey Robinson, that's cheap...cheaper than EGT. Anyway, if you have cats still on the car, would the tailpipe trick still work?

Originally posted by BryanZublin:
Careful...just what is the minimum operating temperature? I'm thinking 450 degrees Celcius is a good starting point. Without an exhaust temp. meter, how do you know you've reached minimum or worse yet, exceeded the maximum operating temperature of 800 degrees Celcius.My impression on the heater is to help bring the sensor to operating temperatures faster and to reduce the fluctuations and smoothen the the up and down changes of temperature.
"Holy Smokey Robinson, that's cheap...cheaper than EGT. Anyway, if you have cats still on the car, would the tailpipe trick still work?No,after the cats will produce a cleaner mixture than what is actually coming out of the engine. By then you have also lost a tremendous amount of heat.Besides, shoving a probe up the NSX's tailpipes won't get you too far.
I agree with "sjs", he raises some very good points...

TAITEC Straight Pipes have a exhaust probe port bung mounted. This facilitates taking these readings if run them.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
TAITEC Straight Pipes have a exhaust probe port bung mounted. This facilitates taking these readings if run them.

-- Chris

Hey Chris...that's good to know. How much are they and are these readily available.
I see you've made it back home safely.How did the rest of your tour go? I bet you had to answer alot of questions since Mark and Nick were unable to continue the tour and assist you.Well,it was a pleasure meeting you, Mark and Nick. I wish we could have chatted a little more...

Back