• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will I rub?

I plan in putting 235 RA1s on my 8 inch Tecnos up front. My car is lowered about 2 inches with Toda Fightex c/os.

I'd like to anticipate if I'm going to rub and where.

I know that I will probably rub on bumps, but what about lock to lock?

What have you experience with 8 inch tecnos and lowered cars with wide tires up front?

+47 offset

TIA

Last edited:
'd like to anticipate if I'm going to rub and where.

I know that I will probably rub on bumps, but what about lock to lock?

What have you experience with 8 inch up front?

+47 offset

TIA

Bio, only your buddy Red can help you with these gay questions. But what does +47 offset, TIA mean? Is that some sort of homocode? :tongue: :biggrin:

Most likely you will rub on the inner wheel well.At a 2 inch drop you could hit the underside of the outer fender margin that would depend on how strong your shocks are to reduce compression on dips and under braking.FWIW I used to rub in both these places with 235/40/17 with my HR springs and koni yellows which are only a 1.5 in drop.Now only rub on the inner well at greater than 2/3 lock with same size tires on the type R susp.

hey dave
i am running 235 RA1 on 17x8 too, but mine are +38 offset, i will have to roll the fender lip and remove the liner to fit, mine didnt rub on the inside, but it still rubs the fender when going on speed bump sideway (if u know what i mean)
i have another set of 235/40/17 and 275/35/18 spare too, if u havent got it yet, let me know!

Dave I am running those wheels and tires. I do rub on my fender liners, nothing I notice when driving but I have worn a number of holes in the liners. Just another consumable...my car is low, don't know how much drop but I would guess at least 2" drop.

Based upon some calculations, it seems like the inner tire is going to be about 1.8cm closer to the mid line than what is on the car now (different rims and rubber)

Thanks to all of you above. Based upon Daves experience, Im expecting to burn through the liner, which is fine.

Really looking forward to this set up.

Thanks all

I now have offset monoball bearings in the front end, allows me to pull the top edge of the tire in by about 1 cm, gives me good clearance on the fender lip(plus -3 degrees of camber to make the tires grip!!!):biggrin:

I'm running 235/40r17 hankook r's up front with 17x8 offset 43 wheels up front and they rub on the top edge of the fender liner as well as the rear frame gusset (where the mudflap would sit). I also have the comptech offset front lower ball joints installed and about 3.3 degrees of camber for track use (tires seem to wear about even and temps are about 20 degrees different across the tire with the outer edge coolest and center warmest. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm running 235/40r17 hankook r's up front with 17x8 offset 43 wheels up front and they rub on the top edge of the fender liner as well as the rear frame gusset (where the mudflap would sit). I also have the comptech offset front lower ball joints installed and about 3.3 degrees of camber for track use (tires seem to wear about even and temps are about 20 degrees different across the tire with the outer edge coolest and center warmest. Hope this helps a bit.

Is car lowered?

Oops! Yes, car is lowered. Tein RA's about 2/3" higher than factory setting which lowers the car about 1 1/2" all around. Mostly notice in rubbing the rear gusset on full lock and the fender liner rub on speed bumps and large dips/bumps and heavy heavy braking i guess.

hey s-zero
do u know where i can find instrutions to install those comptech front camber bushings?
my package doesnt have any instrution, and i cant find them on comptech's website!
pls help!

Not hard to do, just heat up the end of the lower A arm, and the steel reducers press out. The top 'cup washer' has a slightly smaller hole than the tapered side so you want to tap it off first with a tight fitting punch. The tapered section will almost drop out once you heat the aluminum up to about 300 F. I use a IR thermometer and a propane torch.

Install in the opposite order with the offset tapered hole toward the outside of the car. Use some 'press fit assist' Locktite to help everything seat together.

I wonder if there is a way to post all the Comptech info on the Wiki section of Prime? That would be a great reference!

You will rub. I had those same sizes/wheels.

Now, using the same size RA1 with CE28N high pad, and with Comptech Pro suspension and Type R bar and Comptech sway bars at full stiff on the fronts, I managed to tear the inside liner near the edge of the fender. The car was left at the previous height of Bilstein lower perch and OEM springs but it had a good 1" drop.

I just raised the suspension by 0.25" and installed Dali's track sway bars and will see if that helps at the next track event - that is before I change the inside liners.

:eek:
i dont think i can do all this in my garage right!
but i need some "Paper" to show my shop so they can follow the steps!
anyone bought the comptech kit and has the instrutions???????????
thanks dave, but these will be rocket science to me!:tongue:

Not hard to do, just heat up the end of the lower A arm, and the steel reducers press out. The top 'cup washer' has a slightly smaller hole than the tapered side so you want to tap it off first with a tight fitting punch. The tapered section will almost drop out once you heat the aluminum up to about 300 F. I use a IR thermometer and a propane torch.

Install in the opposite order with the offset tapered hole toward the outside of the car. Use some 'press fit assist' Locktite to help everything seat together.

I wonder if there is a way to post all the Comptech info on the Wiki section of Prime? That would be a great reference!

Bio, only your buddy Red can help you with these gay questions. But what does +47 offset, TIA mean? Is that some sort of homocode? :tongue: :biggrin:

I've been trying to get Dave to stay away from the boys and move on to the ladies, so "rubbing one out" is a step in the right direction for him:wink:

He keeps saying he misses his "SkiBanker Buddy", I think TIA was a typo - he meant ITA, International Travel Association - he's keeps saying he want to go to England and visit his favorite queen!:wink: :tongue:

As you already heard they will rub.

I am using the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup's
245/40/17 & 280/30/18

Since this is a 40 series vs 50 series I was using with the RA1's that helped.
Ra1's were taller than the Mich. Extra width with the Mich helps as well. :)

I like the Mich much better than the RA1's More grip.
They hold up well. The Ra1's are not as costly.

You don't need to shave the Mich where you do need to have the RA1's shaved.
I buy the Mich Heat Cycled. Last set was ~1200 including shipping from the tire rack.
I have 10 track days on them so far and still have tread and they continue to soften up when hot.
I suspect I can get another 4-6 days on them. Maybe more?

Thanks Don - you mean that you were rubbing with a 235/40/17 RA1 and NOT with a MPSC 245/40/17??

I just bought a new set of front RA1s to match the rears I have left over from last year. May buy one more set of rears as theyre blowing them out right now, and then maybe Ill try the MPCSs.

If youre getting 15ish days out of them thats pretty solid.

FWI imho the sport cups did'nt have the consistancy after many heat cycles that the ra1 had.The pilots where very good but had a narrower window of optimal grip as a function of pressure.For me the ra1 is more versatile if your thing is just hpde esp if you just want to drive to the track on them.

Sorry R-GT but i cant find any instructions anywhere for the install. Any competent mechanic should be able to install them if they know what they are doing and what the part is used for.
On another note i also found the sport cups had more grip than the ra1's. I've talked to other people felt exactly opposite and found it pretty curious. Perhaps it has to do with the vehicle or car setup that influences how the tire grip feels. All i know is my average lap time drops about 1/2 to 3/4 seconds a lap and i can be a lot more aggressive with the throttle on exiting with the sport cups on my car.

Thanks Don - you mean that you were rubbing with a 235/40/17 RA1 and NOT with a MPSC 245/40/17??

I just bought a new set of front RA1s to match the rears I have left over from last year. May buy one more set of rears as theyre blowing them out right now, and then maybe Ill try the MPCSs.

If youre getting 15ish days out of them thats pretty solid.

The MPSC's rub but not as bad as the RA1's. The RA1's in the size I was using is slightly taller .2 inch. Not much but it helps. :)

FWI imho the sport cups did'nt have the consistancy after many heat cycles that the ra1 had.The pilots where very good but had a narrower window of optimal grip as a function of pressure.For me the ra1 is more versatile if your thing is just hpde esp if you just want to drive to the track on them.

I agree. The RA1's you can run until you cord them. The MPSC's only can take
so many heat cycles and they are done. The first two sets I had were take off's. The set I am using now I bought new so I 'm keeping track of the days.

When they are good they are wonderful. :)

Sorry R-GT but i cant find any instructions anywhere for the install. Any competent mechanic should be able to install them if they know what they are doing and what the part is used for.
On another note i also found the sport cups had more grip than the ra1's. I've talked to other people felt exactly opposite and found it pretty curious. Perhaps it has to do with the vehicle or car setup that influences how the tire grip feels. All i know is my average lap time drops about 1/2 to 3/4 seconds a lap and i can be a lot more aggressive with the throttle on exiting with the sport cups on my car.

My car is setup for the track. Lots of camber caster. I have the comptech pro suspension.
I found both to be sensitive to tire pressure. I have a probe type pyrometer.
I had a pretty good idea where to start when I went to the MPSC's so I got to the happy spot pretty quickly.
At least that is what I think... :)

The RA1's will get greasy when hot. The MPSC's don't seem to. I need to push it more!
As I recall I want the MPSC's 32 ft and 35-36 Rear HOT.
I start off at around 23 cold ft/back.

I trailer my car to the track but the MPSC's when cold are hard.
They are meant to be able to drive on them to the track but with all the camber I have I am trying to save the inside edge. :)

I hear the follow on to the RA1's R88? are good. I have not tried them.
Some day I'll try slicks. but once I do I'll never go back.

Later,
Don

Back