• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will you ever sell your NSX?

I've already sold my NSX's three times.....usually regret it every time, but after 17 years and three different ones I was ready for a more modern mid engine NA car...loving the 981 CS so far

I will probably sell another one or two before my time is up on this rock tho:biggrin:

I don't know if any of them are actually selling cuz same ones have been on auto trader for months(yes, I'm always looking for a deal) but holy crap people are asking ridiculous prices on there(hence why they are on there for months) same could be said for the market place on Prime, but if you notice only the reasonable priced cars actually sale on here.
I think people saw the Zanardi #51 sell for $275K and now assume their beat up 95 with 134989 miles is worth $70K now:redface:

I love EVs. I've been an early adopter and there is some kind of EV in our garage since 2013. However, I would sell the NSX before putting an EV platform in it. I sold my CTSC recently in trade for an NA built. I was missing living in the high rev range of this car. Short gears helps. I want to maximize that drama every time i'm behind the wheel these days. Albeit at more reasonable speeds which an NA motor, short gears, and ITBs can bring.

Great thread! A lot of people ask me often "would you be willing to sell?" but my answer is always no. The real answer is "for the right price." My previous owner sold due to baby so it may also hit me when I have my firstborn.

That being said, even my wife acknowledges how awesome the NSX is. Supercar looks, reliability, rarity, low depreciation, manual... My only regrets have been not driving it more.

I test drove an Evora 400 today. I would highly consider replacing the NSX with one of those. The driving experience is very similar.

tell me more about the evora.....how vestigial are the rear seats?

tell me more about the evora.....how vestigial are the rear seats?

Haha the rear seats aren't bad. You can definitely fit a booster seat in the back. Definitely not anyone larger than a small child. I was just not happy with the fact that the only way to move angle of the seat was the manual turn knob. If you're going to be putting stuff back there, you need quick access to the back. The LC500 (which I am cross shopping) has that.

In terms of the driving experience, it is on point. I test drove an automatic but would only be looking for a manual. The internet research seems to be on point here. Looks wise, driving wise, comfort wise the car is very good. I was impressed with how comfortable it was. Every button I would want is clearly labeled and obvious. The build quality is lacking only in the electronics. The trunk wouldn't pop and the door wouldn't open. For a daily driver those small things are huge. What if you got locked out of the car?

That being said, the NSX has all of these except for back seats. It is a bit redundant with the NSX so hence why I would consider replacing the NSX with an Evora. The owners of Evoras are also a passionate bunch.

I love Evora 400, and I would love to own one someday. My two concerns: it's so difficult to find a dealer and parts, and it depreciates like crazy.

Why would you want an Evora? BLASPHEMY!!! You'd miss all the creaks, rattles, and squeaks from the NSX...

Funny you mention that. My ‘99 has no squeaks or l LP rattles to speak of, other than stuff I’ve added.

As for the Evora, I have a local friend and NSX owner who is considering one. They are an amazing drive and an appropriate NSX replacement.

I purchased mine 7 years ago, I will not be selling it anytime soon. My plan was to sell it in 2022 to use the funds towards the purchase of a home in Turkey. That plan changed late last year when the Turkish Currency took a dive and I was able to purchase a home without selling the nsx. I’ve put a total of 125 miles on it the last 2 years due to clutch slipping, hasn’t been a priority to fix or drive it. I plan to take it with me to Turkey in a couple of years.

Although I don’t drive it as much, I still enjoy being an owner of an iconic vehicle. I hope to have the clutch repaired next spring so I can enjoy it more.

Thanks for starting this thread, first one I’ve read and felt the need to return to Prime for.

Let me talk about my NSX experience in lots of ways, my story is a fairly typical one;

Like you @RYU I’ve been an owner for only a short time (coming up on 12 years) longest relationship I’ve held to date :biggrin:

My NSX wasn’t the fastest car out when even you or I bought it, at the time the EVO and STI were far faster, more useable, Brembos, etc. even the S2000 (and later CR trim) are loads faster than a stock NSX.

When it comes to pure driving experience, the NSX is a car that you either get, or you don’t.

I have only considered selling my car once in the more than ten years I’ve owned her; When I was planning my move from the USA to Japan. I thought “well there are so many wonderful cars in Tokyo/Japan I would probably be just as happy with, and worst case scenario I could just buy another NSX over in Tokyo.” The thought of using that money to wipe all my school and personal debts was a pretty big consideration.

Got the ad ready and was primed to return the car to 100% OEM spec

My wife insisted that I keep the NSX. She said the car has meant so much to me (and now us) and since it doesn’t cost us much of anything to keep and replacing it would be impossible, why sell?

In the end, SO happy to have her talk me out of selling because the NSX is so much more than “just a car” to me.

It’s history; arguably the most important car to ever come from the land of the rising sun. Easily the most powerful (impactful) Honda ever created. Made against what conventional thinking was possible technologically, financially and conventionally by any other manufacturer in automotive at the time. The build quality of the NSX is absolutely in a different league compared to every other car I have ever seen/worked on (Porsche, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Ferrari, etc)

Personal history/attachment; I’ve done so much to my NSX, probably spent almost as much, if not more, time working on my NSX than I have driving it. The parts I’ve developed, the relationships forged because of it, the stupid hours spent hunting for rare parts and/or memorabilia.

All in all, I hope to keep the NSX until driving it becomes impossible.

I can’t wait to ship it to Tokyo so I can drive it again. JDM track days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
hey addict ,nice to see the robot!........Gleibig......if you do a bee I'm switching to rhinoceros beetle!!!!

I'm working on a custom Carbon fiber "horn" with Detlif for the front.....

I'm working on a custom Carbon fiber "horn" with Detlif for the front.....
funny you mention... I'm working on a carbon fibre version of this with Tamoske
mounted-real-steer-bull-cow-long-horn_1_5d4d10fa393c027ba6227066c7a581fd.jpg

Group buy........paging Turbo2go.........

I’m glad [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] posted this. A classic Prime thread. Most of you know my story already. I sold my 91 in 2015 and bought a 2013 GT-R. With the benefit of time and perspective, I now realize it probably was a mistake. I was a 7-year owner at that point, fairly well known in the community and may car was really, really close to what I wanted in a NSX. But, at the time I had a newborn son and a 2-year old daughter. My decision occurred in a moment, not after a long thought process. I was rocking my little guy to sleep at about 3 am one night and I was thinking about the carbon fiber bumper beams that I planned to install that weekend. I was so exhausted from the new baby that it just hit me: “What am I doing?” The thought of taking the front and back ends of my car (my daily driver) apart, installing the beams, and putting it all back together in time to make it to work on Monday just defeated me. I knew doing that would put the burden of dealing with the kids completely on my already exhausted wife, I’d be wiped out from the work, who knows what I would break during the process and would Acura have a replacement part ready on a Sunday? Then my brain went to the fact that the NSX had no back seats, so where were the kids supposed to go if Mrs. Honcho was out in the RDX? Right then, at that moment, I decided to sell it. And it was gone a few weeks later.

I tried with the GT-R. It solved the rear seats issue and I hoped I could have a similar experience to the NSX. Like many on this thread, I was also attracted by the new-ness, the blistering speed, ATTESA-ES AWD, modern A/V, the dual-clutch trans, all that stuff. I got involved on the forums, modded and tuned it to about 650 hp. I even went to some local club events, but it wasn’t the same. It was a bunch of swole dudes in affliction shirts and ripped skinny jeans, with slicked back hair to cover their pattern baldness. They all seemed to either own a gym or a bar, or some kind of shady small business. The heavy smell of cologne and fat, shiny Rolexes were just too much for me. All they talked about was roll racing Lambos and they drove like maniacs. They didn’t even really care about the cars- these were the guys that would pick up that used Gallardo as soon as their debt-swollen budgets would allow. Mrs. Honcho even remarked after one get together that this “wasn’t you.” Eventually the shiny-object fascination with the car faded. The 2.6 second blasts to 60 got old- after about a year, I never really launched it anymore. I turned the boost down to 15 psi and hit the road course, but even that was underwhelming. Even in “R” mode, the GT-R did all of the driving- I was basically along for the ride. It was almost comically faster than my old NSX in terms of lap times, but in truth all I could think about was how much I was wearing down my $3,000 tires. So, the GT-R was gone after 3 short years. In its place was a F-150 Super Crew and a fat check.

That journey got me thinking about the NSX and what I want from a sports car generally, and whether I was just done with sports cars altogether. Without getting too metaphysical, I came to the realization that I enjoy the man-machine connection you get from driving at speed. That connection to me is informed by my senses, which are fed by tactile and audible things like the feel of the clutch grabbing through the pedal, the brake modulation as you press your foot down, the snick of the gear lever, the pushback through the steering wheel in a corner, the momentum of the car in over/understeer and the sound of the engine. I can think of many cars that deliver some or all of these factors, but none seem to do it in a combination quite like the NSX. I’m not sure if it was intentional or an accident, but Honda really hit on something with this car that seems to be really, really hard to replicate elsewhere. I can’t quite put my finger on it, which is maybe what makes the NSX special. I think it’s also why NSX prices are rising so high lately- other people are figuring that out too.

So now I have another NSX. If you’ve seen my build thread, I’m doing stuff to it that will enhance all of the things I love about it. I’m leaving it NA. I’m making it light. I’m putting a hot exhaust on it. Because now I think I understand. I’m after the driving experience, not speed or cool tech or status. This is me now- just a few days ago actually. See that smile? It’s because I now know what I’ve got. I won’t be selling this one.

ACtC-3f2xPpMJzY86KDhZbCqq-LHnp8PnUjGfhn6YtNsUi6U-mWcCRaaXBUXlk5KMIkjfP4N5DBWswowfmlj20gns7hVY3xEI098Vks8RAb67tA1z5t88HF8P0AuWDpyZ11-PRMI_8di5k1z20wYY0A41-2S=w1684-h1263-no

Having been though the journey away from the car and back, I can now say that while cars like the GT3 RS, Cayman, Lotus, C8, etc raise my eyebrow for a moment, I know better. Even the NC1. So, my advice is to keep your NSX. Even if it just sits there for a while. Go and try the other cars- that’s fine- but, keep your NSX. You’ve got lightning in a bottle sitting in your garage. You’ll come back to it. I did.

I never thought I would have sold my car, but over the course of 15 or 16 years I actually bought and sold it 3 times. Unlike a lot of people though, I was very fortunate that I was able to buy back my exact NSX each time though! A 6 owner car, with me as 3 of them! Every time I got it back it and slid into the seat it was like putting on that nice old pair of jeans. I was lucky to have been able to track it down or it track me down each time the itch came back. Even after 3 times, I still sometimes wonder if I will keep it for the long haul when it is just sitting in the garage, but when I take it for a spin it just reaffirms why I keep buying it back and question myself how could I have ever sold it. I also remind myself how much I paid for it the 1st time, how little I got for it the second time and how much it cost me the third time! So if it ever leaves the garage again, I don't think there will ever be a 4th go round!

Love it.....mike drops all around....

Love hearing all these amazing stories. Thank you for sharing them.

I've bought a couple cars along the way that I thought might eventually replace the NSX. They never did, and have gone. I've also done some shopping for things that I really thought would better it, until I drove them. Maybe it is nostalgia, or maybe I am simply the new incarnation of the way people of my father's generation felt about 60s muscle? I don't know, but I don't think so. There is just something in the NSX that I have never quite been able to find anywhere else.

I was lucky in that I got exactly what I wanted when I bought mine. I'd sell it if I needed to, but I know I'd regret it and I'd never find another one like it. Other cars are still on the bucket list, and money/garage space is always at a premium, so never say never. But, I can't think of anything I'd rather have for similar money. So, here we are coming up on 20 years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to be in exactly the same place in another 10 or 20 years.

Last edited:
I've bought a couple cars along the way that I thought might eventually replace the NSX. They never did, and have gone. I've also done some shopping for things that I really thought would better it, until I drove them. Maybe it is nostalgia, or maybe I am simply the new incarnation of the way people of my father's generation felt about 60s muscle? I don't know, but I don't think so. There is just something in the NSX that I have never quite been able to find anywhere else.

I was lucky in that I got exactly what I wanted when I bought mine. I'd sell it if I needed to, but I know I'd regret it and I'd never find another one like it. Other cars are still on the bucket list, and money/garage space is always at a premium, so never say never. But, I can't think of anything I'd rather have for similar money. So, here we are coming up on 20 years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to be in exactly the same place in another 10 or 20 years.

I know what you mean about being in the same place in 10 or 20 years. I certainly hope that I am here - so far so good but you never know what lurks within. My car however seems to be timeless, looks as good as ever, and seems to be doing much better at fighting father time than I am.

Back