• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windshield replacement

Hi,

It's time to replace the windshield on my 1996 NSX. Does anyone have any recommendations where can I take my NSX to have the windshield replaced (Bay Area, California)? Is it best to go with Acura or is it easier to go with an auto glass repair shop like Safelite?

I live in San Jose and would be willing to drive all the way up to Sacramento.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Hi,

It's time to replace the windshield on my 1996 NSX. Does anyone have any recommendations where can I take my NSX to have the windshield replaced (Bay Area, California)? Is it best to go with Acura or is it easier to go with an auto glass repair shop like Safelite?

I live in San Jose and would be willing to drive all the way up to Sacramento.

Thanks in advanced!

I got mine done last year here: https://lowerpriceautoglass.com/

OE glass is NLA so I ended up with aftermarket. It was less than $250 installed if I remember correctly. The glass did NOT have the cutout for the VIN but there were no other options available at the time. I asked for their most experienced installer. I also ordered the OEM gaskets myself and had them use. My previous windshield was also aftermarket but was installed with generic gaskets. The OE gasket/trim is painted black and worth the extra money. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back in the day we always recommended oem glass...not anymore. Hopefully the gasket kits remain available..

Back in the day we always recommended oem glass...not anymore. Hopefully the gasket kits remain available..

I am balancing wishing to enjoy my NSX against the potential that I need a part and NLA..........ugh.

I've had my NSX for 11 years this coming November. Acquired from a gentleman in AZ who I truly hope is still around (Don Gehr) with 18,800 miles. The car now has 55,000 miles. In the first 7 years I drove it a lot. The last 4 years, not so much. In part due to other interests but also due to fear of damaging it on our crap roads and not wanting to wear it out and be left trying to source parts that are becoming difficult to find.

I'm not obsessed with this matter but have started to stock some parts that I think may become unavailable even through Marc Perez in Japan. For example I have a set of OEM springs, struts and associated hardware for a full suspension refresh and a throttle cable (already NLA anywhere -- sourced mine from Adnan at A.S. Motorsports), among other items. My fear is that at some point I'll need something that is NLA from Honda, not in my parts bin or unavailable from Marc, Adnan and sources other than Honda. Then what?

Best,
Jeff

Exactly why I have stopped tracking the Bee except for xpo...My last windshield was so pitted that Joe took it upon himself to replace mine. I felt lucky to have Him work on my nsx before and after his retirement.

Exactly why I have stopped tracking the Bee except for xpo...My last windshield was so pitted that Joe took it upon himself to replace mine. I felt lucky to have Him work on my nsx before and after his retirement.

Indeed Joe's retirement -- another reason my NSX will never see a track. Many resources disappearing as time marches on. I was glad to see he got his new NSX. The car is pretty much irreplaceable and likely not repairable in the event of anything more than a minor oops. Going to do my best to avoid that catastrophe.

Good to know Bram!.......More mead and pheasant!!!!!

I need to replace mine, probably good time to do it now while they are still available and not a fortune.

The glass did NOT have the cutout for the VIN but there were no other options available at the time.

Interesting. I just had mine replaced and had the same issue. Shop said that was the only one they could find at the time.

Make sure you get a windshield with the cut out for the vin. I was sent a few that did not have this and I advise not to install one. For docjohn's car Safelite sent a really nice non-oem Japanese windshield that was easily as good as OEM or better. Really optically clear and nice.

New OEM windscreen

Where is the best place to get one of these NEW OEM windscreens ? I’d like to get one OEM for a ‘97 + now as mine has a rock chip in the centre down by the dash and I know it will crack.
I’ve used Pilkington and like aftermarket windscreens In my Preludes and they are not as good as good as OEM by far. If I have to pay for it my self out of pocket instead of insurance.

Cher’s
nigel

As Joe states, it is important to obtain a replacement windshield with the windshield "cut-out" to display the public VIN on your NSX. Many states have law(s) + it's a federal law that the public VIN be visible from outside a vehicle. Usually a towable offense if Officer Friendly is having a bad day or been charged by his supervisors (Use that term lightly these days...) with parking enforcement duty.

Joe, you stated "a really nice non-oem Japanese windshield that was easily as good as OEM or better. Really optically clear and nice."

Do you recall whose glass this was? Like others, I would buy one out of pocket 'cause I know I will need it. :redface:

From my limited windshield research this is what I have written down:

'91-'96 glass had a bluish tint to the top of it. Original P/N: 73111-SL0-A00 but was replaced by one with a green tint. Replacement P/N: 73111-SL0-506. Both of these P/N are discontinued.

'97+ glass had a green tint to the top of it. Original P/N: 73111-SL0-A01 but was replaced by a newer part number: 73111-SL0-A02. This A02 part number still appears to be available in the US but it's $1733.90!

I have not been able to find concrete evidence that the A02 glass will or will not fit the '91-'96 cars. If it does fit, the only problem is since the parts catalog from Honda doesn't list the A02 as a replacement for either the A00 or 506 part the insurance companies won't cover that since to them Honda says it's not correct.

My windshield was replaced prior to my ownership and after years of Colorado roads is pitted more than I'd like to admit. My current aftermarket windshield is made by Pilkinton USA and has the VIN cutout. I don't know if they are still making them and if they are if they have the cut out, but at one time Pilkington was making replacement glass with the VIN cutout.

The issue with the post 97 glass is that it has a solar tint and will not match 91-96 side windows

Joe, you stated "a really nice non-oem Japanese windshield that was easily as good as OEM or better. Really optically clear and nice."

Do you recall whose glass this was? Like others, I would buy one out of pocket 'cause I know I will need it. :redface:

I just contacted docjohn and asked him to read the "bug" on the driver's side lower corner to get the name for you.

I had to replace my windshield in May-19 due to a very large chip I received while driving on the freeway. The replacement brand was LKQ and appears fine but it lacks the cutout on the driver's side for the VIN# plate. It was the only brand available and last one in stock (in the Bay Area) so I didn't have much of a choice. It replaced the existing Pilkington glass which did have the proper VIN cutout. We checked and Pilkington no longer has any available. I also researched Safelite but from what I found, some folks there also received glass w/o the VIN# cutout. They also indicated that they only had one last windshield in stock (I suspect they get the glass from the same supplier). At more than double the price of what the local installer quoted me, I didn't want to take a chance. Besides, my 99 dash VIN plate only shows the first few letters with the rest of it on the door jamb. So I don't think it would make that much of a difference if it's covered up.

If anyone has more updated info post May-19 regarding finding a windshield with VIN cutout, please post here as a reference. I hope a manufacturer makes another batch. Until then we should try to keep the "find one with a VIN cutout" comments to a minimum since it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

If anyone has more updated info post May-19 regarding finding a windshield with VIN cutout, please post here as a reference. I hope a manufacturer makes another batch. Until then we should try to keep the "find one with a VIN cutout" comments to a minimum since it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

That information does present an interesting data point the next owner could bring up to their insurance company. If the only aftermarket windshield available (assuming there are any at the time) doesn't have the VIN cutout and it's required by the owner's state I would think that would force the insurance company to purchase the OEM 97+ windshield. But alas I'm not versed in auto insurance at all so I could have my foot in my mouth.

for some glitchy reason prime is not accepting pics.....the only markings I could find on my new windshield is

FUYAO
AS1 M854
DOT-459
FW671

for some glitchy reason prime is not accepting pics.....the only markings I could find on my new windshield is

FUYAO
AS1 M854
DOT-459
FW671

FUYAO: That's the glass manufacturer. I highly recommend this glass. When I saw it in John's car I immediately could see how superior it was. Many in the shop commented on its clarity. It is the best NSX replacement glass I have seen and it is was sold/installed by SAFELITE. I hope they continue to offer this same quality going forward. It is NICE.

Last edited:

They are available. I am sorry your vendor could not get the correct glass. I had one delivered and installed without a vin cut out and had them cut it back out. They got the correct one and I assume it was easier to get than a new customer like me who was good for 40+ windshields a year. BTW the two piece gasket at the top of the windshield is not painted black. It is black plastic through and through. Two parts. One is a receiver that has a small line of adhesive to hold it in place on the windshield header and the other is the low gloss outside finisher. It is held with Christmas Tree, arrowhead type fins integrated into the underside and locks into the receiver. It's intent is not keep water out is a moulding. The urethane sealant is what holds the glass in and makes it water tight. When properly installed the windshield becomes part of the structure and a essential component of the supplemental restaurant system.

I believe these windshields without the vin cut out are for other non-US markets that use a different method for vehicle numbering and identification and getting passed off on unknowing USA customers. You don't want to get in a pissing contest with police and get accused of vin obscuring or alteration. Get the correct glass.

Back