• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wrecked the NSX after only 7 days of ownership. Need advice!!

Blaine am I totally shocked this your thread, I kept skipping over it! Anyway sorry to hear and glad pops is OK, 3 yellows in under a year for Texas. I'm gonna have my new bumper put on one day and in asking all the exotics on the local car scene I was referred below. I haven't done the work, but was impressed with what I saw when I took my car in for a quote. Just a suggestion.

http://www.berlisbody.com

Ko-nsx, I've heard good things about this place in Austin. Have you?

http://www.autocraftbodywerks.com/index.html

well that kills the car value a lot more.

The car has been in an accident...it's value is already killed! What difference would respraying the whole car make now? I seriously want to know. In my opinion, I'd rather have a fully painted car that was in an accident rather than one that was blended.

Last edited:
The car has been in an accident...it's value is already killed! What difference would respraying the whole car make now? I seriously want to know. In my opinion, I'd rather have a fully painted car that was in an accident rather than one that was blended.

I prefer to have the OEM paint unless it was bad, and just deal with a slight blend on one corner, which I still believe CAN BE DONE perfectly. It's a lot tougher explaining to some buyer down the road why the entire car was repainted. That usually points towards a major accident. This is not a major accident. I'm not a body guy though so I don't claim to be an expert on this. I am just looking at what seems logical.

Thanks alot for all the great responses. I will be looking in to all the body shops recommended. I hope this only puts the car down for a couple months.

Blaine

I prefer to have the OEM paint unless it was bad, and just deal with a slight blend on one corner, which I still believe CAN BE DONE perfectly.
iagree.gif

Find the best, most NSX-experienced body shop you can, and rely on their advice on the best way to fix it. I bet this is what they'll advise.

Value significant lower on any cars w/paint work even more w/dirty carfax especially on a car such as NSX,Porsche or any exotic. As far as matching color, due to multi stage paint (primer then white then metallic then yellow and clear) spa yellow cannot and will never match OEM paint. Under certain light you will see different shade of yellow for sure. Body shop has to paint whole front end and blend into doors unless you paint the whole car.

Blaine I strongly recommend you PM pbassjo to get his input. He has repaired/painted more NSX's than probably any other body shop in the US. I am sure he will steer you right.

+1 agree on Honcho's advise but the insurance company will NOT total your car out it doesnt meet their requirments has to hit a 45% mark in repairs of the value of the car.

shop around and ask to see pictures of teh NSX's they have done, All body shops take pics of the cars they do for bragging rights.

if they dont have any they havnt done one.

as for the dash, man that has so many screws and bolts, wire harness's and each with a tab that can break off at anytime.

I was at an Acura Dealership couple years ago and this tech was tring to take the dash out of an Acura TL maybe a 2009 model and I was walking past him as he had his feet on the dash ripping it and pulling it I had to stop and say " if that was my car I would beat your ass just sayin " he stopped and walked away to take a break from the abuse he was giving that car.

Now the NSX dash isnt that bad to remove but they need to take it slowly.

heres a pic of an NSX dash sitting on my shop floor right now its cracked at the passengerside airbag. I tried fixing it but its so thin at the top where they break its pointless

- - - Updated - - -

well looks like I cant upload today LOL geez will try in a few minutes

Value significant lower on any cars w/paint work even more w/dirty carfax especially on a car such as NSX,Porsche or any exotic. As far as matching color, due to multi stage paint (primer then white then metallic then yellow and clear) spa yellow cannot and will never match OEM paint. Under certain light you will see different shade of yellow for sure. Body shop has to paint whole front end and blend into doors unless you paint the whole car.

This ^^^

Blaine I strongly recommend you PM pbassjo to get his input. He has repaired/painted more NSX's than probably any other body shop in the US. I am sure he will steer you right.

and this ^^^.

The damage is an EASY 11-14k IMO.

That is far from totalled. I've seen worse where it's an older NSX with more miles and a common color have worse damage to the front and every panel was scuff up (hydroplaning on freeway and bouncing off center divider and hitting another car.

The luck was that all of the contacts didn't hurt the frame at all.

The good thing is a very good NSX mechanic will be doing the dash and a place called custom coach works will be doing the body work and paint. I'm really happy about this becase Scott has been working on NSX's for 20 plus years and has taken out countless dashs.

I will also try to get a hold pbassjo on some advice on body shop. Thank for the advice.

Blaine

+1 agree on Honcho's advise but the insurance company will NOT total your car out it doesnt meet their requirments has to hit a 45% mark in repairs of the value of the car.

shop around and ask to see pictures of teh NSX's they have done, All body shops take pics of the cars they do for bragging rights.

if they dont have any they havnt done one.

as for the dash, man that has so many screws and bolts, wire harness's and each with a tab that can break off at anytime.

I was at an Acura Dealership couple years ago and this tech was tring to take the dash out of an Acura TL maybe a 2009 model and I was walking past him as he had his feet on the dash ripping it and pulling it I had to stop and say " if that was my car I would beat your ass just sayin " he stopped and walked away to take a break from the abuse he was giving that car.

Now the NSX dash isnt that bad to remove but they need to take it slowly.

heres a pic of an NSX dash sitting on my shop floor right now its cracked at the passengerside airbag. I tried fixing it but its so thin at the top where they break its pointless

- - - Updated - - -

well looks like I cant upload today LOL geez will try in a few minutes

. ... the guy in the Ford Ranger had State Farm thank god.

State farm. Pfft.
I just typed and deleted an angry rant here. Let's just say I'm taking a break from sitting on the phone with them.
Beautiful car OP; everything will work out OK in the end. If everything is not OK, then it is not yet the end.:smile:

Update.... Car is coming out of body shop next week but now we have a dash issue. The Dash that Acura specified was the correct one per the VIN number came in with the grey stitching instead of the black stitching. Can some please verify to me that the 1991-2001 NSX came with black stitching and the 2002-2005 came with the grey stitching???? Acura is saying that the dash they sent us is the only one they show as available for the car.

I need a NSX Guru to chime in here and let me know what I should do. The big problem here is that the door panels are still in the black stitching and the new dash will have grey stitching and of course the insurance company does not want to replace the door panels to match the dash. Please let me know if any of yall have some advice.

thank you in advance,

Blaine

My dad's insurance agency is USAA and the guy in the Ford Ranger had State Farm thank god.
Definitely good for you! I've had several unpleasant experiences with damages insured by Allstate, and only satisfactory ones with State Farm. Body shops I've worked with all told me that's very common.

Update.... Car is coming out of body shop next week but now we have a dash issue. The Dash that Acura specified was the correct one per the VIN number came in with the grey stitching instead of the black stitching. Can some please verify to me that the 1991-2001 NSX came with black stitching and the 2002-2005 came with the grey stitching???? Acura is saying that the dash they sent us is the only one they show as available for the car.

I need a NSX Guru to chime in here and let me know what I should do. The big problem here is that the door panels are still in the black stitching and the new dash will have grey stitching and of course the insurance company does not want to replace the door panels to match the dash. Please let me know if any of yall have some advice.
It's quite possible that the older dash is discontinued and no longer available. (Like the way the ivory sun visors are no longer available; the parts are still available but not necessarily in perfectly-matching colors.) In which case, just get the newer dash, and don't obsess over it. Nobody will ever notice the difference in stitch colors. And if it really bothers you, you can make it match by using a black marker.

Phew that's a close call, really sucks that happened but it could have been much worse. I agree here that as long as everything is straight and it's just the fender and all that you show in the pics should be fine.

I have an original press release on the 2002 NSX when it was introduced. It states that the Grey stitching was New for 2002. Another option, provided Scott isn't able to get Honda to give you the right one, is to have just the arm rests on the doors re-stitched by a reputable upholsterer. That would be less work and you wouldn't have to worry about the sun bleaching your markered stitch job. Plus, I think that when the light hits the dash just right the marker would be noticeable.

Last edited:
Back