• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

yes another targa vs coupe question.

as I'm driving my coupe. I feel that I want a targa.

hey other coupe driver out there.. can u gimme some of the reason why u r sticking with ur coupe? and not moving on to a targa?

and targa owners..how do you feel with a removeable top? is it COOLER or annonying ? or no comment?

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

I'm a 95 NSX-T owner, and I realize the argument about car rigidity as it relates to coupes and targa models. As it is, I didn't necessarily buy my NSX to have the ultimate performance vehicle on a track. Yeah, I realize that my car flexes more than a coupe, but at the same time, there's nothing like driving my NSX with the roof off in a (typical) San Diego day!!!! And I'll admit I do this much more than drive my car on a track.

BTW, turbulence w/out the roof is negligible, particularly with the passenger window still up.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I had a 95 T that I got used because it was a great deal ($500 month on a 24 month lease with $5k down) even though I was looking for a coupe then.

THen I had a 98 T that I got new because it was another great deal ($500/month lease for 24 months also with $5k down).

Throughout that whole time, I wished I had a coupe everytime I drove on a less than smooth road and could feel the steering or cowl shake...

Then I got my S2000, and that did it, I could not wait to get out of the 98T... Managed to get a '00 coupe (with Type S suspension and shift knob - seats would have been nice but expensive) at a reasonably good lease deal. The S2000 as a convertible was stiffer than the NSX-T with the top on!

I just extended my '00 coupe lease for another 2 years because I just cannot bear to switch to a T again and it seems we cannot order new coupes anymore. When I need the open air, the S2000 is just fine...

Originally posted by BostonNSX:

hey other coupe driver out there.. can u gimme some of the reason why u r sticking with ur coupe? and not moving on to a targa?

cant afford to go to a targa
frown.gif

I always wanted the black roof, F-16 inspired, "cockpit" look. Targa's are cool though, and I hope to own a 97+ someday...

I could have bought a 95 or 96 NSX but these are the reasons I didn't:

1. Don't like the sun in my eyes/on my head
2. Don't like the loss of safety should the car roll over
3. Too much of a pain to stop, put the top on/off
4. Too much body roll with T
5. Never have to worry about leaks with a coupe
6. Better rear visibility without roof storage blocking the view
7. Coupes are at least 100 pounds lighter

When I can afford it, my next NSX will be a '97+ coupe if I can find one (but not a 2002+). Yeah, I know they're hard to find, but I'll keep looking.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

I will get a 97+ next time, but I really don't want the targa. I really don't think I would EVER use it. Take it off, drive 15 minutes, put it back on. Pain in the butt.

I know it is very hard to find a 97+ coupe, so I will probably just get a targa but only because of all the enhancements it has over my 93.

I've owned my 91 coupe for five years and track it a few times a year. I've been thinking about going topless for years since I enjoyed driving an NSX-T with the open air feeling. However, I'm still attached to my silver NSX and would want a rigid car for open tracking. I would find it hard to let go of my silver NSX so I'd consider getting another NSX-T, when I could afford it. But if I had to choose between one car, I'd sway more towards the coupe.

Having OWNED both...

Useful rear visibility is the same. The only bit you lose is the area between the spoiler and the trunk lid which I don't think qualifies as very useful.

Body roll? Probably if you measured it, but you don't feel much difference. If you want to address body roll on a coupe or -T, a set of springs and sway bars are cheap. Throw a set on an NSX-T and it will have less body roll than a stock coupe.

I don't like the sun in my eyes either, so I keep sunglasses and a baseball cap in the car.

I don't know anyone with leaks on their -T unless it has been wrecked or something. Who has one that leaks?

The top is the easiest and fastest I have ever seen, bar none.. 30 second operation. If that is too much effort for open-air motoring to some people, so be it... Maybe it would be a pain if you tried to take it off every time you used it as your daily driver, but I don't use mine as a daily driver and I don't drive it in bad weather.

I don't know any groups in my area that won't let an NSX-T run at the track, but there are such groups some places in the country. Call around if that is a concern.

I'll trade 100 lbs for open-air driving any day of the week. If I wanted a track-only car I'd buy a Formula Mazda. Other people have different priorities. I do not think an NSX-T would be terribly attractive as a daily driver, but I love it for a weekend pleasure car that sees only occasional track events. Anyway that is my opinion.

Hi Boston NSX and every body,

I think that Litesokneecough brought some very good points.

But further on, Boston NSX, considering that chassis stiffness isn't a major factor since you mentionned that you won't do a lot of track, you must first find the answer of that question:

will I really enjoy driving with Top removed and at what speed do I usually drive my NSX?

Do you also like to listen to music while driving?

Personally I don't especially like the noise and wind produced with Targa nor convertible. Since I usually drive my NSX very fast ( almost every time I drive it I go over 120 mph... ) stiffness and car feel are very important. I also like the quietness of a well insulated and fresh cockpit.

OTOH I find the NSX T SO attractive but this is something appealing for me only when the car is standstill or when cruising at very low speed ( not to forget about the imperativeness of good weather... )...not ideal for me considering my fast driving habits...

When I want some air I open both windows and what I like about doing this is to hear a different way the engine sound combined with the wind noise. But it does not happen often...

And about the T version I especially like to feel that top of windshield is barely higher than top of my head! Have you noticed how near it is from your head? Awesome.

Effer

ps Boston did you receive my email?

pps I know that this a little off topic but what's the meaning of FUBAR? I read that in some thread and I don't know its meanning
( I suspect that it isn't positive!
smile.gif
)

Originally posted by effer:

ps Boston did you receive my email?

pps I know that this a little off topic but what's the meaning of FUBAR? I read that in some thread and I don't know its meanning
( I suspect that it isn't positive!
smile.gif
)

Sorry I didnt get your email..
did you mailed it to [email protected]?
what is the name u used on email? maybe I got it but didnt know that it was you.

and fubar.. if I remember correctly. it is the F word in German..=P

------------------

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Many groups holding track events will not allow a removable-top car to participate.

hey NSXtasy.. I no u got a coupe.. can you tell me the reason why you keep the coupe for so long and not moving to a targa?

------------------

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

I no u got a coupe..

Hey, we can all talk like Chico Marx! "I no gotta an NSX-T, I gotta a coupe, my uncle he's a sturgeon..."

Maybe you could type in English? And spell out the words that you're trying to use? That way, we could all understand you.

can you tell me the reason why you keep the coupe for so long and not moving to a targa?

Because I use the car primarily for track events. Because most of the track events I participate in do not allow removable-roof cars.* Because I prefer the added rigidity of the coupe. Because I rarely use my car for moderate-speed drives in the country for which the open top is best suited. Because the weather here is usually too hot or too cold to be comfortable with the roof panel off.

*The organization holding the greatest number of track events all over the country without requiring that you own a specific car is the BMW Car Club of America. And I believe that none of their events permit open-top cars to participate. Surprising, considering that many of their models have removable roofs (Z3, M Roadster, M3 Convertible, Z8, and the upcoming Z4) but true.

NSXtasy.. its just that I've been chatting too much on the internet so I cant spell out that words out normally now?? =P sorry about that if it causes you trouble.

after reviewing the posts, I think I fit into the "targa" catagory more. I drive at moderate speed, nice weather here sometimes.

Most of the cars I've driven are convertibles, maybe thats why I tend to like the feel of "open air" better. but I love the "quietness" of the coupe too.

Is targa not that " air tight" compared to a coupe? because I drove to NY sometimes too.

also I love to listen to music in car, but now my driver side amp is busted .. so I don't listen to music much now.

BTW: will the targa car still flex more than a coupe even with the top on?

Anyone in Boston area willing to give me a targa ride?

I'm currently interested in this 97 Spa Yellow I found

thanx for the inputs...

------------------

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

and plus. Does the same flex thingy happens on Corvettes, Ferrari convertibles and targas? if not , how did they over came it and Acura havent?

------------------

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

BTW: will the targa car still flex more than a coupe even with the top on?

Yes. When we discuss rigidity, we're usually talking about it with the roof panel in place.

Not only does the NSX-T flex more than a coupe, but the '95-96 NSX-T flexes more than the '97-02 NSX-T, because they made some improvements to rigidity in '97.

BTW, it's an NSX-T. The term "Targa" is a trademark of Porsche. And we wouldn't want our NSX to be confused with one of those, would we?
biggrin.gif

Does the same flex thingy happens on Corvettes, Ferrari convertibles and targas?

Yes. In fact, by all accounts, it's much worse on those other cars than on the NSX. The only open-top car that I've heard described as having as much rigidity as the NSX is the S2000.

HEY.. targa (tm) owners out there.
what makes you want to get a Targa(tm)?
because you like open air? or you simply want a new car (because coupe discontinued)

some inputs pls?

------------------

NSXCA # 1690 "Sabrina"

HEY.. targa (tm) owners out there.
what makes you want to get a Targa(tm)?
because you like open air? or you simply want a new car (because coupe discontinued)

Prior to my NSX I had a 99' vette coupe, in which I occasionally took the top off. Got the NSX in Aug of 01'. This summer I went 2+ months with out putting the top ON once. The NSX-T is a much better topless ride than the Vette was. Bats the wife's hair around a bit, but she just ties it back. The cowl flex isn't all that bad. A bit worse than my Vette but not bad. It has little to NO impact on how fast you can get around a turn, or threw the twisties. In fact after the first couple of bumps/turns you won't even notice it.

With the top on, it's very tight! I've never driven an NSX coupe.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800
02' Aprilia Falco SL1000

I actually like the black top alot. Most coupes come in the black top. Perhaps all of them do? I'm not sure. I think painting the top black on a Targa would look odd.

Originally posted by hyuan:
Most coupes come in the black top. Perhaps all of them do? I'm not sure.

The NSX was available as a coupe only for model years '91-94. All of those cars had the black top with the exception of most of the '94 Brooklands Green cars.

In '96-01, coupes were by special order, and very few were sold. I'm not sure but I think the default top was black but you could order it painted body-color, or it may be vice versa.

The fifty '99 Zanardi NSXs were all red coupes that came with red roofs.

Back