• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zaino better than Carnuba wax?

I know this subject has been beaten to death but my nextdoor neighbor was telling me (while I'm putting on another coat of Zaino)that Carnuba (sp) wax is the best thing you can put on car paint. The best for looks, best for protection, best lasting, best etc..

I don't really know much about carnuba wax other than people who enter their cars in car shows usually use it. I've been using Zaino for the last 6 months and am very happy with it, but like I said, my neighbor tells me Zaino is not the best (he's never even heard of it).

Other than what I read here and what the Zaino site tells me, is there a qualified source that can vouch for the qualities of Zaino over any thing else? Thanks in advance.

If your neighbor has never heard of Zaino, then I wouldn't worry too much about what he has to say. Obvious he doesn't have an NSX that he is putting it on. Just show him the real world testing on Zaino vs Zymol vs etc. Better yet, ignor him because you are using the best thing for your car.

really... there is no one best product. I have way to many waxes/sealents (I couldn't even list them all if i tried) and each one has it's use. It depends on what you want, what you want to put into it, and the car. There are so many factors. Since january i've had about 7 products on my car... i'm striping my Carnuba wax tomorrow to try another sealent. Just use what makes you happy. Try different products then decide. No one product is best on all cars/colors or anything else. It all depends.

Now what i can say. Carnuba waxes do not protect or last longer than synthetic sealents. Carnuba wax usually has a melting point of around 180 degrees F. It is easy for the surface of your car to reach over 200 degrees F on a sunny day. When this happens the wax starts to melt, then evaporate. It depends on the wax on how quickly this happens... but generally in less than a month 50% of the wax is gone. Even the best waxes last 3-4 months. All the tests i've seen have shown that without regular reapplication, no carnuba wax can last longer than 5 months. Carnuba also provides no UV protection or anything similiar (unless the manufacture has added this in some form of oil).

Synthetic products usually last longer (again depends on the product). I've seen studies that show synthetic products usually last around 9 months. With one little touchup and regular care, you can get this number to 15. This is because they are made out of polymer chains and are able to withstand temperatures. For instance Blackfire can substain temperatures of up to 480 degrees f before it melts and evaporates. These products also almost always contain elements to protect against UV rays.

That is all pretty much fact and based off science. As for which looks better... that's up to you. It's pointless to go around asking other people what YOU should use. You can ask to get advice or see what other people like. But YOU have to use what YOU like. No one product is that product for everyone. I know people who are die hard Meguiars users, and others who are Zaino Zealots... both sides are happy... you just have to find what makes you feel the same way.

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

just for a little proof.

Look at the red Camaro SS peaking out of the garage. The owner is a zaino user. I wouldn't be suprised if that car has over 40 coats. Every single picture i see of that car is stunning... simply perfect... and covered by zaino

attachment.php

then look at this vette and tvr. Covered with Carnuba. are they better, or worse? I say neither... all these cars look amazing.

pic3.jpg

tvrshoot11.jpg

there are a lot of good products out there... just find one you like. More time detailing and less time choosing. That is where the results come.

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

I have been using Zaino for almost a year now and I am pretty content with the excellent polish that it leaves. My only concern is how well Zaino protects the paint compared to pure carnuba waxes.

Back