• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boostzilla!!!

Here is Cybernations car. 423HP 323 TQ.. I think it is a 97+.

They have never finished this yet have they? I was also interested in what factor x was doing but it doesn't look like they will ever finish this either.

Because if Marc does what he always is awesome for you get a really good product for the best deal possible.

As ncdogdoc said, the real value of the graphs, if any, is in the shape of the power curves. They do show fairly clearly the differences in compressor type. Those who know a lot about forced induction won't see anything unexpected but others may find it informative. Beyond than that I agree they are of little genuine use. As for the CT claims, keep in mind that they previously claimed 400hp from the old 6lb kit so I wouldn't bank on their claims to translate into typical real-world output. Like most big vendors they quote best case results after far more tuning and tweaking than your car is likely to see. I also find it particularly odd that they don't share the torque curve. It could be calculated, but I'd rather see it from the dyno run.

I replaced the comptech site dyno with one from the dyno day in TX last year... the car is a 1995 with i/h/e and 6lbs boost.

mygraphnew.jpg

You can see the Comptech makes WAY more low end TQ than either SC kit..

General Questions and comments.......

We are back from the NSteXpo road trip and here is a quick composite:

BadCarma said:
I am liking this,way to go MJ

Thanks! :D

NetViper said:
Are we going to be able to purschase this unti directly from comptech also? or is it a DALI only product? Will other people, like SOS pick it up?

It is a “Dali Only” product.

NSX FoYoAss said:
So there are 4 Boostzilla superchargers?

There are currently 4 “stages” of kits coming to market.

Juice said:
I'm curious. If the system has been studied so well, and is ready for sale, why then is there no price listed?

No one said it was ready for sale yet, (most likely July) and I didn’t have every bid in for the parts that I don’t make myself before we left for the event. The "basic" BOOSTZILLA kit wil be priced at $5500.00, the "BABYZILLA" will be under $5K.

Wouldn't I just be able to purchase it if every thing was ready to go? And where does the boost hit with this kit?

the website will have that information as it is updated – we update every Wednesday.

MORE importantly, I want to see MONGOzilla!

Come to NSXEXPO’03

nsxxtreme said:
Gotta love the picture though, looks like someone PO the wrong person.

“Someone” did.

NSXTC said:
Anyway, I think I have seen the design inspiration for this kit a couple of year ago.

There are only a finite number of places to put an SC in the NSX, and the RTR kit was not an inspiration.

whiteNSXs said:
Since Mark Johnson and Mark Basch are best friends and business partners. Are these superchargers just the same unit but different labels? Is that why the logos are pretty much the same design?
Steve

You have not been keeping up to date, neither of those ass-umptions are the case anymore. The “logo” (and that page) is a parody of the BBSC page – if you have been there you will know what I mean, and there is a lot more to it under the surface than meets the cursory glance. There is nothing about the Dali SC kit that has ANY business relationship with, design similarity to or derivation from the BBSC kit except that they both force more air into the motor.

Darkcyd said:
I think you missed the part where they became ex-friends, ex-business partners. Looks like the FI arena is about to get ugly. :eek:

When my two blown up by the BBSC kit motors are repaired and returned I’ll be as happy as the next guy. Since when has more “choice” been ugly?

Number9 said:
So to pick up on something that SJS implied, why go centrifugal at all in a tabula rasa SC NSX design, given the underlying TQ curve of the NSX engine? The positive displacement blowers present a more challenging packaging problem, but if you're going to go SC instead of turbo, that's where the SC R&D work should be directed, since the PD charger output has much better synergy with the flat, unboosted NSX TQ curve...

Go for it – if your kit is better than ours and comes out at at a better or equal price, I’ll buy one.:D

j14nsx said:
My little rant, unprovoked maybe, but I just need to say.........

Nice to see new developments in this area as always. I hope for this project Mark, gets the time and space to work on the project without a bombardment of 'potential' customers and their questions. I mean, do all the people that post an endless list of questions really are going to go out and buy one tomorrow? I think maybe not.

Mark's emailbox is probably already over quota and refusing new emails, and then the flames will start, and a NSX vendor, may just wonder if this hassle is actually worth it.

Of course if Mark wants a European demonstrator for the kit.....where do I sign?!!!

Nice idea :D

We WILL NOT spending all day everyday answering questions and fighting over who has the larger male appendage in the Forums. We will have an EXTENSIVE FAQ posted on the BOOSTZILLA site over the next few site updates, and prior to the kits shipping.

General FAQ questions about the kit should be sent to [email protected]. They will be replied too and all the questions and answers will be posted online here:

http://boostzilla.com/mothra/web/store/allzilla/faq/installation.cfm

PLEASE check that area in a week or so for the first round of updates. Technical “how do I attach part X to part Y?” or “how do I tweak 20+ more HP out of the kit?” questions will be answered to kit owners ONLY. All purchasers will be able to log in to the support area [you will need to have a password] and ask questions about tuning etc. and have an answer in 24hrs or less.

ALIENT said:
From what I understand, it uses a stock ECU with some some type of mapper (smartmap?).. He did mention that the stock ECU was perfect for the SC implementation.
NSXTC said:
Hmmm.... I think most people on this board with any real NSX FI experience would disagree with that.
58.gif

Then those people may need to rethink their position.:D

NetViper said:
Is it ok to run these SC products without aftermarket headers and exhausts?

Yes, - you will just not get as much HP on the dyno.

Wheel Kinetics said:
This Boostzilla kit really is done right!

:D

Lud said:
I think comparing the dyno numbers or graphs from the manufacturer sites is simply bad information. They are not even using the same TYPE of dyno machines, much less the same machine. Further, there is no control for what other mods are on the car, and no baseline dyno for any of the cars.

I understand that everybody wants to compare all these systems, but the margin of error doing it this way is greater than the difference between the graphs being compared.

A same day, same dyno shootout like the one compiled by Eric from last year's nstexpo is a much more reasonable method (though it still did not account for baseline variations).

Thank you for reminding THEM LUD. :D

Ojas said:
Originally posted by NetViper
I don't know the setup of the boostzilla car other than its a 3.0 L.

If I recall correctly, it has RM headers and RM exhaust. Other than that, I don't know.
Chris mentioned that the intercooler will be located to the left of the engine on the production Boostzilla system. The coolant tank (and some other stuff) will be relocated to accomplish this.

The test car at NsteXpo (and the plot posted on the website) DOES have the RM headers and RM exhaust, and no other mods but the BOOSTZILLA kit. The location for the intercooler kit for the next version of the kit is not set in stone as we might choose another intercooler design based on further testing.

sjs said:
As ncdogdoc said, the real value of the graphs, if any, is in the shape of the power curves. They do show fairly clearly the differences in compressor type. Those who know a lot about forced induction won't see anything unexpected but others may find it informative. Beyond than that I agree they are of little genuine use. As for the CT claims, keep in mind that they previously claimed 400hp from the old 6lb kit so I wouldn't bank on their claims to translate into typical real-world output. Like most big vendors they quote best case results after far more tuning and tweaking than your car is likely to see. I also find it particularly odd that they don't share the torque curve. It could be calculated, but I'd rather see it from the dyno run.

We’d be happy to participate in any organized “group dyno” at an independent shop where all the data is on the same machine on the same day tested by the same tech – maybe we can have some fun with that at NSXPO? The kit tested at NSteXpo was NOT tweaked and tuned for weeks, it is just what CK has been driving around currently, and reflects the state of the project at this time with some new shiny pipes so that it looked nice. We had the intercooled kit injectors installed and they were too big for the boost level we were running without it, so our A/F ratio for the dyno test was way “fat” – bummer as it left some HP on the table. The test car prior to the mods was baselined in Tucson at 233RWHP, so headers + exhaust + basic BOOSTZILLA = +166 RWHP on the 3.0L.

Of course, YHPMV.

It’s all good.

MJ,

Now I see what you meant a few weeks back.

Very very very impressive.

I'm in for the mongozilla.

Last edited:
NetViper said:
You can see the Comptech makes WAY more low end TQ than either SC kit..

If you know anyone who races the NSX shifting between 2000 and 4500, the Comptech is a sure fire winner!!!

Re: General Questions and comments.......

NSXGOD said:
...The kit tested at NSteXpo was NOT tweaked and tuned for weeks, it is just what CK has been driving around currently, and reflects the state of the project at this time with some new shiny pipes so that it looked nice...

Good to know, but my comments were specifically refrering to the claims CT made about their kit and what is seemingly typical from other "large" vendors. It's too soon to question/doubt your claims. ;)

Hey MJ-

Congrats on the new kit! Looking forward to seeing one in person (especially the MONGOZilla) at NSXPO!!

PS- you should say that PD's car was the inspiration for this design.....that's just good marketing!:D

NSteXpo :)

NetViper said:
I mean.. when are we going to see these 3 cars tested on the same machine, same time, same day..... not anytime soon.... at least it gives us an idea..

Well, we did it at NSteXpo last year (Comptech, GruppeM, BBSC) along with a dozen or so NA cars. It just takes someone putting it together. I'm sure that someone in SoCal with each flavor of boost would be willing to get together on a Saturday morning to get this kind of data together for the community.

EDR

Re: NSteXpo :)

We have been talking about doing this for too long already! I say we meet up on Sat July 12th at this place. Ill bring my 9lb BBSC. Who else can commit?? I can make some calls to the dyno owner and see what kind of deal he can give us, but his first question will be how many cars will be coming!

erobbins said:
It just takes someone putting it together. I'm sure that someone in SoCal with each flavor of boost would be willing to get together on a Saturday morning to get this kind of data together for the community.

EDR

You just need 1 of each...

1) stock
2) BBSC
3) Boostzilla
4) Comptech 6lbs
5) Comptech 9lbs
6) gruppeM -- may be harder to find

That should give us a pretty damn good idea. Seems like everyone with an SC has headers and exhuast done, so we could test a stock and stock + H/E.

Errata

You just need one of each...

1) Stock
2) BBSC
3) Boostzilla
4) Comptech 6 PSI
5) Comptech 9 PSI
6) Gruppe M

Need to revise #2 to read "BBSC 6 PSI".

Add #2a to read "BBSC 8 PSI".

Add #2b to read "BBSC 10 PSI".

Mine is currently #2a and tuned to removed the richness of the AFR. Before tuning mine was 383 RWHP. I suspect (hope) I have picked up 15-ish RWHP with the smoothened AFR curve. In a couple of months (after other projects are complete) I will install the 10 PSI (theoretical 11.6 PSI) pulley that is patiently waiting in my toolbox. Unfortunately, that will required me to completely start over with fuel maps, which with the current configuration, took about a month of tuning as I had time.

I've had #4 and #6 and even #2a in the untuned condition outperformed RWHP by a noticeable margin.

DutchBlackNsx said:
VERY nice stuff.
If you can start of with the baby, and then in time go up to the more HP ones, it will be very interesting.
Don't know what it will do in dollars though....

Way to go MJ!

Mich

We will have a kit running around Europe very shortly - I'll post it in the Euro Forum section when it is installed.

:D

Black&Tan97Tnewportbeach said:
What "Zilla" really means

I would say its really a plant, not a lizard so f@ck off if they try to shut the name down.

I think it would make a great logo!!:

zilla [botany] A low, thorny, suffrutescent, crucifeous plant (Zilla myagroides) found in the deserts of Egypt. Its leaves are boiled in water, and eaten, by the Arabs.

Source: Websters Dictionary

(01 Mar 1998)

NSXGOD said:
I think it would make a great logo!!:

zilla [botany] A low, thorny, suffrutescent, crucifeous plant (Zilla myagroides) found in the deserts of Egypt. Its leaves are boiled in water, and eaten, by the Arabs.

Source: Websters Dictionary

(01 Mar 1998)

Try my logo instead. Hey, it's close!

D'Zilla [boostany] A low, stormy, stuff-air-efficient, crucifying (Izillit inmygroin) found in the deserts of San D. It leaves its soiled slaughter to stand beaten by the curbs.

Source: Websters Inductionary

Juice said:
Try my logo instead. Hey, it's close!

D'Zilla [boostany] A low, stormy, stuff-air-efficient, crucifying (Izillit inmygroin) found in the deserts of San D. It leaves its soiled slaughter to stand beaten by the curbs.

Source: Websters Inductionary

May I quote you? :D

We will be installing 2 kits in San Diego in the near future (2-3 weeks) I'll post on it if you guys are interested in the dyno tuning.

NSXGOD said:
I'll post on it if you guys are interested in the dyno tuning.

Hmmm... Hey guys. Is anyone here interested in the dyno tuning? Dyno numbers? Anyone? No, these guys don't seem to take their charts and numbers serious around here. Especially Lud. He seems to... Wait a minute. Is it safe to tease a moderator? :D

Wheel Kinetics said:
If you know anyone who races the NSX shifting between 2000 and 4500, the Comptech is a sure fire winner!!!
Point well taken - however VERY few of the potential customer cars are actually being "raced." So given that the principal application is probably street driving for the bulk of the target demographic, what RPM range is really of the most interest?

P.S. I've got a PD and centrifugal SC car, so I have no particular axe to grind here...

Number9 said:

P.S. I've got a PD and centrifugal SC car, so I have no particular axe to grind here...

Since you have both, which do you prefer? (i know the cars are different.. but in general)

NetViper said:
Since you have both, which do you prefer? (i know the cars are different.. but in general)
This is a very vehicle and application dependent optimization. For cars with good NA low end torque that falls off in the upper range (e.g., C4 vette, E36 M3), a centrifugal makes a lot of sense and props up the torque curve in the upper rev range, which yields nice peak HP numbers as well as a flat torque curve. Contrast this with something like an NSX, which already has a flat torque curve, albeit at a modest absolute torque level, and then a PD blower seems to be a better match. During all this chatter about the various new centrifugal SC options being better than the Gen1 CTSC, we shouldn't forget that the Gen2 CTSC beta is producing comparable peak RWHP to the centrifugals, with likely the same or better TQ over the entire RPM band. From what I can tell, the aftermarket likes centrifugals because their more compact size makes them easier to configure into a kit. The auto manufacturers however seem to prefer PD blowers in OEM applications (e.g, Mercedes).

Number9 said:
we shouldn't forget that the Gen2 CTSC beta is producing comparable peak RWHP to the centrifugals, with likely the same or better TQ over the entire RPM band.

Just curious where you are getting this information?

Back