• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CT Engineering Supercharger

I wonder if they will come up with a new SC based on the 4-lobe design in the new ZR1. It makes more power and less heat. Sounds great for the NSX to me.

A small % have Bausch or Low Boost SC---Even smaller High Boost CTSC. I here you on the more efficency---But will the DRIVETRAIN handle much more hp and be reliable? Maybe it would not take as much HP to make the SC work.......But who knows. I for one would love more power, but not ready for a rebuild...........Cost wise. I would love to see a thread on the most miles/hp/tq on an FI car with stock internals.... (may already be one)....It was a thread about adding in intercooler to the current CTSC

Last edited:
let me get this straight.....

you just bolt on the supercharger and the factory ecu can cope?

How can it do that, how does it work and fuel another 80hp?

If it really is that simple (and reliable!) I want one!

Thanks

Jamie

Its as the guys above explained, but its more like 100whp more

Picking up on the question about the breather on the Autorotor units that the new CT Engineering unit apparently did away with: (a) is the breather on the Autorotor necessary (ie what did CT engineering do) and (b) anyone have concerns about the small oil capacity of the Autorotor (2.5 oz) and the losses through the breather (I have worried that a 45 min track session might deplete the resevoir on mine)?

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Picking up on the question about the breather on the Autorotor units that the new CT Engineering unit apparently did away with: (a) is the breather on the Autorotor necessary (ie what did CT engineering do) and (b) anyone have concerns about the small oil capacity of the Autorotor (2.5 oz) and the losses through the breather (I have worried that a 45 min track session might deplete the resevoir on mine)?

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

i was paranoid about that also. Its hard to judge by the dipstick.
after 30 min of spirited driving, I checked mine and no change.

After driving from Tampa to Atlanta and back---2000 miles, avg speed 79. 3.6 hr non stop.........I may have lost 1 ML. My autorotor on car is about 23 months old............

Last edited:
I just purchased and installed that breather kit because I was getting the same rear window mess as the rest of you. The breather kit doesn't seem to work that well. It still hazes up the back window.

Thats because people in Ohio cant work on cars correctly :) j/k
I never had any issue with oil "spit" on the glass. But, then again, I always try to wipe down my engine bay once every couple of weeks. So, I guess thats why.

Thats because people in Ohio cant work on cars correctly :) j/k
I never had any issue with oil "spit" on the glass. But, then again, I always try to wipe down my engine bay once every couple of weeks. So, I guess thats why.

Kyle did install that himself so I may have to agree with you there... Who knows where he ran the breather lines etc.. :biggrin:

Kyle did install that himself so I may have to agree with you there... Who knows where he ran the breather lines etc.. :biggrin:

Haha, support against Kyle for the win!! :biggrin:
Its okay, we wont hold it against him. He gets bonus points for havig a CTSC-GTOne V5.1 on an Imola Orange.

Haha, support against Kyle for the win!! :biggrin:
Its okay, we wont hold it against him. He gets bonus points for havig a CTSC-GTOne V5.1 on an Imola Orange.

True to all of the above... That is a sick ass car!

Oh and props to whatever company did the install here in cincy! They do AMAZING WORK!

How hard is the CTS installation???

Says 13 hours.

I have done my exhaust, headers and Coilovers by myself. Im not afraid to wrench on the NSX. Possible with unlimited time frame? or are their specialty tools needed?

its not that hard. If you know you way around the NSX it will take you less than 8 hours. I have an electronic copy of the installation instructions, which are excellent. PM me your email address, and I will toss them your way. From there you can read them and make up your mind if you think you are capable of the install.

Nathan

Under regular driving conditions (ie like 80 mph for hours) my car puts out very little oil from the breather. However, at WOT it sprays. My concern is under constant WOT like track conditions, will I blow through the 2.5 oz. Thanks.

I ran watkins Glen for 2 days, the breather definitely spewed some oil. The belt and air turbulance blows a bit on the rear glass. I became concerned. I had it checked afterwards and everything is normal. I did not lose enough oil to even register. Having said this, I would check it after tracking. I don't get any overflow under street driving.

I hate you guys. :wink:
The breather is under the motor mounted just in front of the exhaust. Brian, I'll show it to you next time I've got the car up there. It was an easy install. I did it just like the directions showed. Not really sure why I still get the residue. :confused:

I've got a breather and I still get a little bit of spray on the back window. Nothing compared to how it was without it though, and it usually takes several weeks without a wash before I notice it.

I might be the first guinea pig or test mule ........ but Shad plugged the breather on my snout a few weeks ago as the spewing all over the timing belt etc. at the track was just not acceptable. Since then I drove a full track day (about 4 sessions of 20-25 minutes), another track day that didn't count for much, and normal street driving for some total 600 miles. The level has stayed steady at the lower mark - and I suspect part of it is due to the number of times we checked/wiped for the oil level. The oil will expand under heat and constant boost, so you need some room for it to expand - and I suspect everytime we checked it right after a session we wiped some off.

The issue is not whether one track day or session will affect the oil level or the seals. But how long such a set up (i.e., plugged) will cause premature wear of the internal seals as the pressure built up with 13K revs is noticeable - you will hear the hissing sound when you open the cap.

A few weeks ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Lysholm re this same question, the gist of their response is: the plugged solution works in most cases, but every application is unique. Based on the past history of one vendor delivering successful installation with non vented oil cavities one would assume that it works - however, they have no records though on their endurance test activities for this application. No guarantees and no warranties. YMMV.

I've got a breather and I still get a little bit of spray on the back window. Nothing compared to how it was without it though, and it usually takes several weeks without a wash before I notice it.

Do you have your engine cover on? I do. So I don't even consider mine a spray, and I don't get oil anywhere else (except the manifold plate where the SC rests, I get a little sometimes but I heard that is normal), it's more like a fog on the window. Is that what you get?

Do you have your engine cover on? I do. So I don't even consider mine a spray, and I don't get oil anywhere else (except the manifold plate where the SC rests, I get a little sometimes but I heard that is normal), it's more like a fog on the window. Is that what you get?

No. I don't have my engine cover on. Yes, it is so subtle that I shouldn't even call it a spray. You don't really notice it at all unless dirt starts sticking to it.

I might be the first guinea pig or test mule ........ but Shad plugged the breather on my snout a few weeks ago as the spewing all over the timing belt etc. at the track was just not acceptable. Since then I drove a full track day (about 4 sessions of 20-25 minutes), another track day that didn't count for much, and normal street driving for some total 600 miles. The level has stayed steady at the lower mark - and I suspect part of it is due to the number of times we checked/wiped for the oil level. The oil will expand under heat and constant boost, so you need some room for it to expand - and I suspect everytime we checked it right after a session we wiped some off.

The issue is not whether one track day or session will affect the oil level or the seals. But how long such a set up (i.e., plugged) will cause premature wear of the internal seals as the pressure built up with 13K revs is noticeable - you will hear the hissing sound when you open the cap.

A few weeks ago, I exchanged several e-mails with Lysholm re this same question, the gist of their response is: the plugged solution works in most cases, but every application is unique. Based on the past history of one vendor delivering successful installation with non vented oil cavities one would assume that it works - however, they have no records though on their endurance test activities for this application. No guarantees and no warranties. YMMV.

I have to go look to see if I'm remembering correctly but I believe the snout on my charger is plugged with a bolt. I've never compared mine to others, but I know it looks like a simple bolt with teflon tape wrapped around the threads. I've only tracked the car with the charger on twice but I've had it that way since installation in November 2005 and I've put on approx 7K miles since then.

Hrant, I spoke with Shad about this oil fume issue and he told me about your solution. I suspect that he's right about his estimation that the vent is not needed. Still, perhaps a more dedicated track car, not one like mine which is street driven 99% of the time, could still benefit from a vent.

For me, I'll probably make my own homegrown vent and use it only on the rare track days I attend.

J

I have to go look to see if I'm remembering correctly but I believe the snout on my charger is plugged with a bolt. I've never compared mine to others, but I know it looks like a simple bolt with teflon tape wrapped around the threads. J

You're right, It is plugged with a bolt, but the bolt isn't solid. Take a look at it closely. The "gold" color on the top of the bolt is actually small (maybe copper) rods pushed together, tight enough that liquid won't get out, but heat can escape. I'm no engineer, but that's what it looks like.

- Kyle

You're right, It is plugged with a bolt, but the bolt isn't solid. Take a look at it closely. The "gold" color on the top of the bolt is actually small (maybe copper) rods pushed together, tight enough that liquid won't get out, but heat can escape. I'm no engineer, but that's what it looks like.

- Kyle

Geez, then it sounds like I just don't get into boost as often as I should for as long as I should :redface: because I've never had one bit of oil in my engine comnpnartment! I guess there's a good and bad to everything: I'm not getting the oil residue but I'm not using my car as it's capable of being used :frown:

J

James, for the most part the SOS solution/option would work for those who don't push it ....... but I am concerned given the amount of mist/spewing at the track, if that options wouldn't lend itself to the "potential" of a fire if it hit the hot exhaust regularly, or a nice 360 spin if it got on the tires/brakes based on how long it spewed and how the wind was blowing and how often the areas are cleaned ...... Chances of this happening probably minuscule ........ but it is all about risk management according to each driver's concerns.

Another option that I am still trying to put together is a catch can/plastic bottle at a height about 1" above the snout within a foot distance so it can back fill the snout by gravity once the pressure has stabilized. [The motorized alternative is not my cup of tea ....!] I understand the catch needs to have a breather on the top. So far, the only location that I have come up with where this might work is with a horizontal (i.e/, flat) catch can tied to the Comptech T- brace. It not aesthetic and not sure if there is clearance with a breather on top ........

You guys are debtaing the necessity of the breather but obviously it is not necessary if the new units don't even have it? This is the real question. Did they just get rid of it or did they change something in the design? Hrant, did Lysholm say anything at all about the new one not having it?

I hardly get any oil seepage street driving. At the track with a 20 minute session and that thing almost constantly on boost, it drips some. I don't have an engine cover. I don't think it is "spraying" out of the breather. I think the fumes or micro drops are being picked up by the air circulation and deposited on the hatch glass above.

Back