• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CT Engineering Supercharger

I do want to hear an update from PhiAlpha44? Seems he has a compressor to manifold leak without any warranty? I don't know anyone other than Shad that might know of a shop that can resurface the manifold plate or???

Not sure if it needs to be re-surfaced. Took it to Source's shop. They said I just need a new gasket. Guess I'll be calling CT.

My understanding is that there is a (rubber?) bladder inside the thing filled with air (hence the "tire valive" on the one end). Gas (air) compresses better than liquid (water) so it can take the water's expansion (and surges in pressure from other sources, like water utility or momentum of water after slamming shut a large valve) but still push back and provide water pressure.

Back to the CTSC. As an interesting side note, an hour or more after a drive this past week I opened my SC's dip stick and heard air escape - so there was pressure contained by the Whipple & its snout there that didn't go anywhere. I can't find ANY signs of oil anywhere, except immediately around the dip sick cap. So, at least with the old whipple kit its not coming out the end of the snout as I recall one post indicating it would if there was no breather.

A couple days later I opened it again and heard air go in. :tongue: Maybe one means to avoid pressure is to always check the SC's oil level and seal back up when hot (air/oil is expanded). Then when it's all sealed up again there isn't much/any pressure at operating temp (and negative relative pressure when cool).

Just a note on this bladder / catch tank ideas... the amount of oil that escapes in a vapor is so incredibly miniscule that to make some type of catch tank with a drain back would be incredibly overly complicated. I do believe that a pressure relief fitting is the most logical approach.

Cheers,
-- Chris

hi guys --

Just a note that our customer with one of the latest supercharger kits was able to install and test our breather kit for the supercharger compressors without the breather port on the snout. Installation went well, and he reports that the seepage he was getting out of the snout has been significantly reduced (the remaining is likely residual fluid). We have verified this works on coupes, but would like to have a customer with the Comptech brace and engine cover test fit one. If you are interested, please drop us a line.

We will offer these for sale later today once the install guide is completed.

Cheers,
--Chris

Chris and others, tossing this idea out loud - not sure if it has any merits in terms of physics or thermal engineering.

Since the amount of oil escaping as vapor is rather small - though on the track I wouldn't consider it it insignificant or minuscule, what if the hose is connected from your new location on the compressor to the hole on the snout? The tubing would be sufficient to hold the amount in question.

I am totally guessing in here - if the gears inside the SC and the snout are different, wouldn't they rotate at different RPMs and hence generate different pressure assuming same size holes (even that can be adjusted) so the connected tubing can stabilize the difference by dumping whatever is collected in the chamber that has less pressure?

Hrant, if you zip tie a small baggie over the end of the SOS discharge tube when you track the car you will have no worries about the small amount of oil discharge. It would be so small of a amount I doubt you would be able to measure it but with the bag could contain it until the event was over.

You could even rig up a small plastic bottle like they use for pharmacy prescriptions for this. I doubt you would even get an eighth of a teaspoon of discharge even after a hard track session. There are solutions, easy ones if you think about it.

How about venting back into a fitting on one of the valve covers?

Hrant, if you zip tie a small baggie over the end of the SOS discharge tube when you track the car you will have no worries about the small amount of oil discharge. It would be so small of a amount I doubt you would be able to measure it but with the bag could contain it until the event was over.

Simple indeed, but I am trying to minimize the amount of work or maintenance at the track as my hands and schedule are filled with instructing/de-brief and the mandatory smack talk among boy racers ...... :biggrin:

You could even rig up a small plastic bottle like they use for pharmacy prescriptions for this. I doubt you would even get an eighth of a teaspoon of discharge even after a hard track session. There are solutions, easy ones if you think about it.

Actually, I tried that too and noted it in one of my prior posts; the location of the bottle is the issue if it is to work by gravity. Again, trying to minimize my worries of constantly checking ...... Otherwise, yes, it would be like any catch can that will fill after a while :wink:

How about venting back into a fitting on one of the valve covers?

And why not from the compressor back into the snout or vice versa, it would sexier no :biggrin: :wink:

Going back into the snout from compressor? Think about it. Pressure to pressure?

Perhaps Chris/SOS will resolve the hose from the top of the blower into a small bracket-can configuration which would be more practical if the vent is relocated on the top of the blower from th snout. I'm sure he'll come up with a good idea. Going into the valve cover ends the maintenance concern.

Again, this is a really small amount of oil. In a year of driving I doubt it would be a teaspoon. Certainly not a constant worry.

Going back into the snout from compressor? Think about it. Pressure to pressure? <snip>.

Joe, I do realize we are getting pretty academic in here, but yes high pressure to low pressure. As long as there is a pressure differential between the two based on the gearing and size of the hole (which can be adjusted to achieve such end), the pressure will be released to the lower pressured chamber - and if all this is less than a teaspoon, then the length of the tube should be able to handle it. As I said, I am no physicist or thermal engineer, just pushing the envelope to know why it can't be so simple.

But more importantly, what has Lysholm suggested to resolve this issue ..... :confused:

Talked to Nathan yesterday from CT. He said there should be ZERO oil leakage coming from my blower. He's sending the shop a new gasket and o-ring set.
When that's fixed, hopefully my rear glass will clear up.

Talked to Nathan yesterday from CT. He said there should be ZERO oil leakage coming from my blower. He's sending the shop a new gasket and o-ring set.

Geee:rolleyes:

Good to get the feedback regarding what appears to be the cause.

Just curious, how many miles did your CTSC have on it? Perhaps this is a maintenance issue with high mileage blowers or blowers than have been driven hard/tracked - too much heat?

Edit: So far, I am aware of 4 such cases.

Last edited:
Update, FWIW .......

Yesterday I was at Infineon Raceway with TrackMatsers/Niello Maserati hosted event. Had a blast as the car was hooked well. Amazing what a 10 year old street/track NSX-T can still do and be very competitive with new production cars and all their gizmos!

I ran the CTSC with the snout breather plugged (second track event now) and once again had no leaks from the pulley area and the level in the blower is still the same. When the breather is installed on the blower and not the snout, one CTSC appeared to still have had oil "venting" from the connection of where the snout met the pulley (and not outside the pulley facing the right rear fender). If I understand this correctly, the issue of oil spewing or venting form the pulley area when the snout is plugged (or no breather at the snout) is most probably due to older snouts which were "engineered" to fit the pulley.

Appreciate posts noting if newer snouts (please specify mileage on blower/snout), or the ones shipped by CT-Engineering in their most recent batch are indeed "venting" from the pulley area if there is no breather or the breather on the snout or the blower is plugged.

Yet another update for those keeping a maintenance log .......

After yet another track day at Infineon where the car was at its peak performance, here are pics of the engine bay with the snout still plugged. The engine bay around the snout/blower hasn't been cleaned since we plugged the snout 3 track events ago. There is no oil residue/mist.

Oil level in the blower is still where it was as before, but based on the color, I am suspecting it needs to be changed/drained - it has had about 6 good track days and normal street driving.

Last edited:
And another update. Snout still plugged and after yet another track day yesterday at Infineon, the oil level in the CTSC has stayed the same. Closing in on 5 mos since it was first plugged and with several track events now.

As part of maintenance, I might change the oil in the CTSC when I do the regular engine oil change. Will see.

Back