• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I have come to the conclusion that a proper garage has...(sort of a poll)

When I moved south several years ago, having lived in northern climates all my life...I was determined to finally have the garage I always wanted......and the cars I alwayed wanted.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Garage 01.jpg
    Garage 01.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 539
When I moved south several years ago, having lived in northern climates all my life...I was determined to finally have the garage I always wanted......and the cars I alwayed wanted.
Dayyyyyyummmmm....

I think the manual transmissions will scare them away!!

Edit: That was supposed to be linked to Chris's thread: "I've been thinking about adding a moat and a drawbridge to mine. Might do the crocodile pit under the front door step at the same time.
Need to get these projects completed before my daughters are teens."

Last edited:
BamaFan - consider coming up to Raleigh in May for the MidEast NSX Meet - May 18 -20.

John

Attachments

• ME17-32.jpg
    ME17-32.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 495
This is my spin on a garage... the Car Cave (16 x 46) addition to rear of the Toy Box (which is 30 x 46). It has storage (or work space) for 4 assorted cars, had 4 motorcycles (one was just sold so theer is space till its replacement arrives soon) plus an electric bike, 2 single post lifts (provide a lot of floor space over a 2 or 4 poster), tool benches (at each end), rough sawn ship-lap barn boards over insulated concrete walls, vintage porcelain commercial lighting fixtures (with mogul to medium base adapters for LED bulbs), assorted car and motorcycle memorabilia and models, several show trophies, commercial storage racks, TV and music systems, Heaters and Fans (soon to be replaced with ductless mini splits). It's kind messy for now till I reorganize plus enclose the racks with more barn board sides and barn doors for access. And I haven't settled on what I want to do for a more suiting floor covering. A better pic would be with Gen 1 included, but its in house attached garage where I'm doing some cosmetic tweaks to it.

DSCN6715.jpgDSCN6727.jpgDSCN6733.jpg

Eh, what the hell. I'll play too. I wish I had the ceiling height for for a lift, but alas I do not.

S2000 was picked up for my soon to be 15 y/o daughter and I to work on together, and it will be her first car. 2005 basically all original barn find with 61k for $13k. It has been fun dad daughter time.IMG_6989.jpg

You might be surprised on being able to have a lift. You only need about a foot+/- more than height of the two cars in play. That allows the height of each plus the lift bed or track height (probably ~4" +/-) and some wiggle room pending where the safety stops are. And of course you want enough head room above the top car to avoid ceiling hit, but not much is needed. Most lifts will require you lift above the stops (an inch or so), and then settle back down on stops. Then you'll need to raise a bit again to release stops latching before lowering to floor again. With NSX as one and S2K as other I suspect your OK... If you have enough depth such that the upper car when backed in will have windshield beyond the top of Overhead door door edge when up. If a small issue, then you can set the door to open less hence retract into the interference space less. Perhaps some pix of the front Toy Box section will show my points better. The floor to bottom of Truss Joists here is about 10'-9" at car roof centers. The 4 post lift tracks are 4" high. and there is plenty off space between the two somewhat high GT-R and 350Z. The T-Bird is a little shorter. Hope these visuals may help some visualize that they may be able to do what they might have dismissed as not possible. taking proper measurements and planning ( and shopping lift option wise) can go along way. Also note there "may" be some clearance room available to gain by moving overhead rails higher (with mods of course) as well should that be a stumbling block. The doors here are 18' x 9' so higher than standard. But thy could have been shorter doors with vertical going higher than opening before bending inward for the horizontal track portion. A good door guy can figure out what is or is not possible.

P1080748.jpgP1080769.jpgP1080764.jpgP1080761.jpgP1080660.jpg

Gadgetman said:
You might be surprised on being able to have a lift. You only need about a foot+/- more than height of the two cars in play. That allows the height of each plus the lift bed or track height (probably ~4" +/-) and some wiggle room pending where the safety stops are.

I haven't measured it all out with the S2000, but with the NSX and M3 it was close but no cigar. I have 8' doors and maybe another foot beyond that where the highest point on the car would be.

There might be a way to shoehorn one in there, but at some point the juice just didn't seem worth the squeeze. We have built up reflective roofs out here, so my original thought was 'well why don't I just raise the ceiling height'. Drainage concerns caused that quote to be quite large. And I would need to move at least the garage door opener to a jackshaft operator - which means electrical, drywall and a change to at least the spring system on the door. And I have post tension floors, so do I want to chance it?

For better or worse it was my conclusion that it would probably be better and cheaper just to build a dedicated shop. Hopefully I will get to that at some point, but it hasn't been a priority yet. For now, I am trying to spend as much time with the kid as I can before I become uncool / irrelevant. Silver lining there: more time for cars. It isn't a perfect plan, but its what I have.

Love your collection by the way, in particular the 300ZXs.

Ouch
I would think S2K and NSX would work fine being stacked.
Though I see your issues are more than easily resolved. Still might be worth some measuring to see if you can do what you think you can't. Take measurements and draw it all out. you might be surprised or get an out of the box idea pop.

I have a friend who modified his ceiling by small structural mods to enable an ~ 1 foot recess just in the area of the cars roof. And it kinda look cool vs a work around. Doesn't sound like an option you can pursue if I understand the structure of floor above. Keep your family priorities as stated for now and an added proper place later makes sense. I got married late so no offspring (regretfully). So had more time and funds to pursue hobbies. Would give up many toys for one though. So consider yourself more lucky.

Thnx for kudos on the Z's. They were my favorite passion prior to getting into the more costly NSX's. The '91 Z32TT took 1'st in 2013 Nationals in NH. It was also judged for Golden Cup but missed by 2 pts. The 350Z took 3'rd in 2015 National's in Memphis. Though it also qualified to be judged for Golden Cup as well, it missed because I had it in wrong category. I was told if I had it in proper class, it would have taken 1'st and Golden Cup because some mods made were several point deductions ( vs pluses or no deducts) due to the class it was in. Learning from those two events, I did better in '16. The 90' n/a took 1'st palce and got 1 of 2 golden cups at 2016 National's (In Canada). Winning a Golden Cup it becomes retired by VIN from any future National judging. Fine by me. Hopefully I can try again with the '91 and '03 and do better.

Enough rambling.

...Heating, cooling, a fan, welder, drill press, compressor, band saw, sheet metal brake, hydraulic press, grinder, belt sander, every tool, lots of flat cabinet space, rolling tool cart, power reel, surround sound, storage...

IMG_3543.JPG

Garage, Phase 1

^Plus beer refrigerator.:biggrin:

Ha Ed you should install a web cam:tongue:

John,

That’s incredible.

There are others in this thread that are larger and have couches you can nap on, but your garage is the Apple Store of garages I’ve seen. :)

John,

That’s incredible.

There are others in this thread that are larger and have couches you can nap on, but your garage is the Apple Store of garages I’ve seen. :)

Thanks Andy, and believe it or not I do actually change oil on that carpeted floor. We need to get together during my next visit to Pittsburgh!!!

john

LIGHTING! Ive seen so many garages with a single lightbulb... Need at least two fluorescent lamps per stall...

mine has double wide lift, foam insulated , ductless ac/heat, epoxy floor, drain to wash, compressor, hose, multiple high hats ,loft for storage built in roussau cabinets , the cars, and big ass led light banks mounted under floor of lift with motion sensors ... with cars and solid floor on lifts the high hats deemed useless lol

Back