• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX-R & NSX-Reventon project

GoldNSX is right, I missed that clip of the vaccum hose for the brake booster!:rolleyes: Your sharp eyes missed the earth cable unattached to the front valve cover :wink:
2 cars have simply too many clips, bolts and plugs for one person, ideally I will need someone at the end just to check the full car for these type of oversights
Actually, I thought that the cable to the front cylinder head looked some kind of weird. :wink:
No, problem, send me the pics of the finished car and I'll check. :)

I believe the "ground" terminology is for the american spoken english, while the "earth" is for the british english terminology

Anyway Acura and Honda chassi have different grounding points, this is why Moses doesn´t see any "earth cable" conected to his front valve cover, this is only for the JDM/Euro honda chassi where it is then connected to a welded small plate under the engine bay front glass, that doesn´t exist in the Acura.

jdmboundpoints.jpg

In the Acura, the ground cable is located in the right hand side of the engine bay, where the red arrow points there is a 2nd hole there to connect that bond cable, that doesn´t exist in the Honda.

Then of course on the left hand side of the engine bay there is the main and much thicker ground cable connected to the gearbox.
You can disconect the smaller one without seing any difference, his function is probably just to reduce radio interference or static electricity on the long term but of course you better keep it there conected as it was designed to be

If you disconnect the thicker one, you will probably cause the smaller one to burn next time you´ll start your engine considering the engine/gearbox are isolated from the chassi, as it can´t take all the starter high current!

Last edited:
Good news, the Reventon is finally alive!

I have been trying to start her for 3 long days, double checked all harness conectors, disabled the alarm...but she simply wasn´t starting!
I then replaced almost all the modules with the ones form the R, including the ECU, the Igniter and so on...and nothing, not a sign of life, nothing!
I tested almost all the sensors, crank, timing adjuster and so on

I had Fuel arriving at the injectors, injector resistance was ok acording the the manual...and I had current arriving at the injector plug!
I also had spark when I removed the spark plug from the cylinder and make it touch the ground to check it!

I was really getting out of ideas, then in a desperate act I had the idea to pour some fuel directly in the cylinders, idea was to produce an explosion! I just pour some drops of course, like a small coffee spoon quantity
Then engine was awakening, wanting to start, but still unable to!
I then knew my problem had to be fuel related!

Fuel pump was new as original one was dead and all rusted with 16year old fuel in the tank.

My problem was then reduced to only 2 possibilities: injectors or the pressure regulator! So, I took the pressure regulator from the R and still no start.
I then replaced all 6 injectors with the ones from the R, and VOILA I just found the guilties! Incredibly all 6 injectors were blocked and refusing to open, but with a good resistance. Anyway that is not too bad for an engine stopped for so long time I guess.
Almost no smoke came out of the exhaust this time, and surely no manure like the R:biggrin::biggrin:

I will now clean the nsxR this weekend and post the first pictures of the car completed! I need to take some days off from the Reventon now
Stay tuned!:wink:

Definitely looking forward to pics. I keep checking the forum for this thread day after day LoL.

I think he must be a very busy man with obligations beyond these 2 cars, and posting his progress on Prime, but I can't help it, I'm addicted.

I'll just keep watching and waiting I guess! :D:wink::biggrin:

Thank you all for your support!
I have some terrible news: the R needs a new gearbox! The 1st and 2nd gears are jumping and it makes a huge gearbox grinding sound that we almost can't hear the engine while driving! Worst of all is I knew its serial number was in the snap ring failure range! I wish I had at least opened the access port while the engine was out of the car, I would have found pieces of the broken snap ring! I was so busy with the suspension sandblasting and the engine revival that I forgot to open that access port!!! So now I need to take that gearbox out again! What a nightmare!
Of course I need to find a new gearbox to be able to drive to France with the car as there is no way it will last 2000miles! I should already be there by the way. I could also get just a new transmission housing maybe? Well I really don't know what to do, I am searching for a used one, I found 2 but both of them were also in that snap ring failure range!

One good thing about such a project is that now I can't give up and will have to solve the problem no matter what:)

The Reventon needs new injectors...these cars are ruining me!

Thank you all for your support!
I have some terrible news: the R needs a new gearbox! The 1st and 2nd gears are jumping and it makes a huge gearbox grinding sound that we almost can't hear the engine while driving! Worst of all is I knew its serial number was in the snap ring failure range! I wish I had at least opened the access port while the engine was out of the car, I would have found pieces of the broken snap ring! I was so busy with the suspension sandblasting and the engine revival that I forgot to open that access port!!! So now I need to take that gearbox out again! What a nightmare!
Of course I need to find a new gearbox to be able to drive to France with the car as there is no way it will last 2000miles! I should already be there by the way. I could also get just a new transmission housing maybe? Well I really don't know what to do, I am searching for a used one, I found 2 but both of them were also in that snap ring failure range!

One good thing about such a project is that now I can't give up and will have to solve the problem no matter what:)

The Reventon needs new injectors...these cars are ruining me!

Sorry to hear that! Maybe it's salvageable, take it apart and inspect the internals, get new casing and what not needed for the snap ring repair and have it rebuilt.

Tried cleaning the injectors? I sent mine away for servicing. Anyway, if you go with new injectors, might aswell do the RDX swap if you're into that.

Good luck, and let us know the progress!

Definitely looking forward to pics. I keep checking the forum for this thread day after day LoL......I'll just keep watching and waiting I guess! :D:wink::biggrin:

Or you could just subscribe to the thread, and be notified by email when something is posted. :confused:

Here are some auto update notifications for the subscribed members :biggrin:

After some intensive geabox searching, I finally found my happiness in a Portuguese scrapyard, where incredibly there is a burnt NSX! No much left from it, but the gearbox was intact! it just got some melted plastic from the upper engine accessories, and some severe aluminium corrosion! Car is there for ages, with very low miles according to the scrapyard owner word.
And Oh good news is it´s out of the snap ring failure range this time, and he gave me 3 months of waranty, so I bought it, I already ordered some new seals and will then have to take all the valves and speed sensor from my defective gearbox as the wires burnt...Pictures to be posted very soon

Meanwhile, here´s what a broken snap ring looks like! I took these pieces just by removing the access port on the left side of the gearbox:

img0868lx.jpg

The rest of the snap ring is still in place and holds the shaft I really don´t know how! I would say it won´t last 50 miles more!

As I already have a replacement gearbox, I thought it would be helpful to shoot what a SNAP RING FAILURE GEARBOX sounds like running, and the shift lever symptoms, just prior to fail I guess!
I am sorry for the poor quality shooting, what really matters was the sound and not the image and as I was alone filiming and driving, I first fixed the camera on the seat headrest this is why all we see was the sky :rolleyes:

Gearbox sounds like a sequential racing one, or more like a reverse gear...but so loud we almost can´t hear the engine!

Last edited:
Here are some auto update notifications for the subscribed members :biggrin:

After some intensive geabox searching, I finally found my happiness in a Portuguese scrapyard, where incredibly there is a burnt NSX! No much left from it, but the gearbox was intact! it just got some melted plastic from the upper engine accessories, and some severe aluminium corrosion! Car is there for ages, with very low miles according to the scrapyard owner word.
And Oh good news is it´s out of the snap ring failure range this time, and he gave me 3 months of waranty, so I bought it, I already ordered some new seals and will then have to take all the valves and speed sensor from my defective gearbox as the wires burnt...Pictures to be posted very soon

Meanwhile, here´s what a broken snap ring looks like! I took these pieces just by removing the access port on the left side of the gearbox:

img0868lx.jpg

The rest of the snap ring is still in place and holds the shaft I really don´t know how! I would say it won´t last 50 miles more!

As I already have a replacement gearbox, I thought it would be helpful to shoot what a SNAP RING FAILURE GEARBOX sounds like running, and the shift lever symptoms, just prior to fail I guess!
I am sorry for the poor quality shooting, what really matters was the sound and not the image and as I was alone filiming and driving, I first fixed the camera on the seat headrest this is why all we see was the sky :rolleyes:

Gearbox sounds like a sequential racing one, or more like a reverse gear...but so loud we almost can´t hear the engine!

Good vid! My 1:st gear sounds like reverse but not the other gears and my box is not in snap ring range. Should I be worried? :frown:

Congrats on the gearbox find! :biggrin:

mr_goat, for what I read, the snap ring failure only aftecs the 1st and 2nd gears at the same time, if you have a "reverse" gear sound only in the 1st gear I don´t thing you have a snap ring failure problem but probably just a syncro worn out symptom, but easiest way to check it is to remove the access port bolt on its left side and see if there are any pieces of a broken ring. I have that reverse sound on all my 5 gears + gear poping in 1st, 2nd and reverse!

Car returned today at the shop for the gearbox swap.
Meanwhile I had time to wash it and took her first pictures of the almost completed project

nsxr1.jpg

nsxr3.jpg

next task is to fit some crazy auto-star + microwave anti-proximity alarm during this weekend:biggrin:

Last edited:
Do you drive with the orange side-blinkers in the future?

This car reminds me of a car here locally. Looks like 99% of it.

Very nice indeed ... and I'm sure very satisfying to have brought this to the spec you wanted ...

Congrats!

Wow!! I am sooo jealous! 2 dream cars at the same time as projects. Congrats.

Thank you guys, you are too kind!
GoldNSX I have no plans yet for some white or black side blinkers yet, I like the orange oem ones for the moment, but what do you suggest? :biggrin:

Well, the "new" gearbox is already in place, the car runs perfectly now, no reverse sound nor stick jumpings.
I sandblasted the gearbox before fitting it. Donnor car burnt so there was a lot of melted plastic and had to swap all the valves and sensors...
On the left is the orginal one, already with the swapped burnt sensors from the sandblasted one on the right

img0879bo.jpg

gearboxnumbers.jpg

Of course I replaced all seals and filled it with new HONDA MTF3 fluid, so now this problem should be solved for the remaining lifetime of the car I hope.

Best way to repair a deffective gearbox in the snap ring failure range is to replace it with a gearbox out of that range :wink:
For those who do not know: The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978

My defective gearbox will be for sale, the gears, pinions and LSD are still intact and coming from a french JDM/Euro car, I believe they are shorter than the Acura version? ...well anyway if anyone wants it just PM me

Last edited:
Thank you guys, you are too kind!
GoldNSX I have no plans yet for some white or black side blinkers yet, I like the orange oem ones for the moment, but what do you suggest? :biggrin:
white. :wink:

Of course I replaced all seals and filled it with new HONDA MTF3 fluid, so now this problem should be solved for the remaining lifetime of the car I hope.

Best way to repair a deffective gearbox in the snap ring failure range is to replace it with a gearbox out of that range :wink:
For those who do not know: The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978

My defective gearbox will be for sale, the gears, pinions and LSD are still intact and coming from a french JDM/Euro car, I believe they are shorter than the Acura version? ...well anyway if anyone wants it just PM me
The countershaft bearing is still a known weak point in the transmission. If you change the clutch in the future it's not a bad idea to open the case and change the snap-ring and bearing.
Euro cars have the about same long gearing for 91-93. 94+ was definitely shorter like JDM.

Back