• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

05 CLK55 test ride

Joined
27 October 2004
Messages
2,837
Location
CA
I test rode in friend's CLK55 today, he called it the ultimate daily drivable beater car.

My initial impression is that the car has great low end torque, slam you back into the seat, (nsx push you slightly back into the seat), instant power. Give you the illusion of accelerating faster than actual speed.

The car felt faster than NSX, but it is likely due the feel of the 376lb ft of torque down low. In reality lightly modded NSX and CLK55 are probably a even match in straightline.

The interior is very nice as well, the factory stereo system sounded incredible for a oem stereo system.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like in E55, SL55, SL65. Mercedes's AMG division have set the new standard for horsepower.
 
I believe CLK 55 doesn't come with the V8 Supercharged engine that E 55 and S 55 do.
 
larrynsx said:
I believe CLK 55 doesn't come with the V8 Supercharged engine that E 55 and S 55 do.
No it does not, just plain na 5.5L V8 which still put down 376ft-ft of torque.

Instant torque sure feels good. My Supra has 500ft-ft of torque, but not instant like that. The CLK55 really give you that instant snap, no need to count 1001...1002

It must be crazy to sit in a supercharged/turbo charged AMG models(E55, SL55, SL65, etc)with even more torque. These cars are amazing.
 
I pretty mutch drove everything MB got to offer. The CLK55 is not so impressive also I dont like the CLKs styling anyways. SLK55 is, besides the SLR of course, the most fun AMG vehicle to drive fast, sure its fun to beat a SL65 or S65 but they are all too heavy.

Oh and by the way nsxsupra if you love the turbocharged AMGs so much get one fast. AMG is going for high-revving engines like the BMWs M-ltd.
 
Klayton said:
AMG is going for high-revving engines like the BMWs M-ltd.

are you sure about this information? where did you get it from? if you don't mind me asking.
 
Klayton said:
I pretty mutch drove everything MB got to offer. The CLK55 is not so impressive also I dont like the CLKs styling anyways. SLK55 is, besides the SLR of course, the most fun AMG vehicle to drive fast, sure its fun to beat a SL65 or S65 but they are all too heavy.

Oh and by the way nsxsupra if you love the turbocharged AMGs so much get one fast. AMG is going for high-revving engines like the BMWs M-ltd.

You are lucky. You must be a owner of Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo, Zonda or something in that category.

I am impressed with CLK55, mainly due to its instant torque, overall package for a coupe. This is just the NA version of the AMG 5.5L V8. I need to get a ride in SL55/E55.

I never rode in SLK55 so I can't comment on that, but it does share the same 362hp/375lb-ft 5.5L non super charged V8. The SL65 turbo V12 is capable of high 11s/low 12s. The weight matters, but when you have 600+hp, you are still going to be insanely fast in straightline.

Klayton said:
Oh and by the way nsxsupra if you love the turbocharged AMGs so much get one fast. AMG is going for high-revving engines like the BMWs M-ltd.

They are gorgeous cars, I can't see any car enthusiast not appreciate these cars. I enjoy wide variety of different cars. These AMG models are certainly some of the most impressive cars you can buy.
 
Last edited:
No, I dont own any supercar. I cant even afford a NSX but my fiancées dad is.. lets say a big shot at MB.

All AMG vehicles are fast in the straight line but here in europe we need to turn sometimes. :) I prefer a superb under-carriage, the 'light' SLK is just more fun to drive.
 
Klayton said:
All AMG vehicles are fast in the straight line but here in europe we need to turn sometimes. :) I prefer a superb under-carriage, the 'light' SLK is just more fun to drive.

I would imagine so. SLK55 is significantly lighter and quicker than CLK55, althrough they have virtually same hp#s.

Must be nice to have 376lb ft of torque on that lighter weight body. 0~60mph in 4.3secs in most magainze tests is just incredible.
 
nsxsupra said:
They are gorgeous cars, I can't see any car enthusiast not appreciate these cars.


Gorgeous yes.....

I'm not appreciate these cars in a simple formula:

Automatic+electronic gizmo+heavy weight = Monkey's dream car.

I'm not the monkey who likes to do burnt out and punch in staright. :tongue:
 
Back
Top