• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10,000 rpm redline?

i know this may be unrelated to forced induction, so i apologize in advanced. I saw a best motoring video, and a street driven NSX had a 10k redline. what mods to a stock 3.0L would i have to do to redline 10k. how would this change the sound of the car a higher rpm? would you guys advise this for a gain in higher performance. thanks yall

You would have to change the rev limit in the ECU by changing the chip or replacing the whole ECU with something like an AEM unit. The oil pump gears would need to be upgraded to billet. I don't think you would gain anything other then bragging rights and a much shortened engine life.

Its not about being able to rev to 10,000 it is about being able to make power up to 10,000 :wink: having 3000 rpm's of flatspot would really suck, to be able to make power up to 10,000 you would need internal engine work such as pistons and the most important CAMS, and the valvetrain that would be able to support it, also fuel management, with really good tuning :biggrin: Hope this helps...

Yes some extremely high lift cams once the VTEC kicks in is what you need to make power up at that high RPM. You should have the max cam lift your engine will allow before the valves would come in contact with the pistons and trust me you don't want that to happen at 10,000 rpm. Also make sure to upgrade the valvesprings to prevent valve float at that high an engine speed. You may also want to have lightened flywheel just to help it rev better. What some people don't understand is that engine power doesn't really have as much to do with an engine's ability to rev or how much displacement it has as they would think. The limiting factor in an engine's power is the cams, valves, and essentially efficiency of the head flow because a large displacement engine with poor headflow is like having a marathon runner breathing through a straw. This is why VTEC has the ability to allow our relatively small displacement engines, more along the lines of the Honda 4-cyl engines, to make more power than thought possible up in the higher RPMs. If you build the engine internals to handle high stress ie. balance, blueprint, shot-peen, and then get lighter pistons and forged everything, and have the computer delete your rev limit sure your engine will rev to 10,000 rpm easily maybe even higher but you will not make much additional power after 7-8K unless you have major headwork done to supply the needed air flow at those engine speeds.

Does anyone know what the SuperGT(JGTC) cars redline at? Particularly , the gt300 MTEC NSX. I love the exhaust tone on that car. I would love to have an NSX sounding like that one.

Well the JGTC cars are 3.5 litres aren't they? If they only need 300bhp then they shouldn't need any more RPM, it's torque they want. I checked on their site and it doesn't quote an rpm figure i'm afraid..

-Rob

I thought I was the only one that wanted to build a 10000 RPM NSX engine, with supporting mods to continue to make power up there, of course. Anything more anyone knows about this, I'd love to hear. :smile:

10k RPMs sounds like a really loud can of worms to me,I agree with Braink your motor would be screaming for mercy. I worked with a ferrari 333sp team and those are 12 cyl 5 valves per and they were capped off at 9k. 10k in an NSX motor just sounds like trouble to me..JZ

zahntech said:
10k RPMs sounds like a really loud can of worms to me,I agree with Braink your motor would be screaming for mercy. I worked with a ferrari 333sp team and those are 12 cyl 5 valves per and they were capped off at 9k. 10k in an NSX motor just sounds like trouble to me..JZ

Hmm. Seems like if you can get 12 cylinders to agree to go to 9k, it should be easy for 6 to do 10k. :biggrin:

a couple years back before i got the nsx, i used to have a crx with a B16. With just a Mugen ECU upgrade, i got the car rpm limit from 8k to i believe either 9500 or 10,000, while still producing power at those rpm's. I would think that since honda motors are built to be revved, it should be a similar scenario with the NSX, unless its due to the fact that we have 2 extra cylinders... i don't know, just a thought.

rbirling said:
Hmm. Seems like if you can get 12 cylinders to agree to go to 9k, it should be easy for 6 to do 10k. :biggrin:

hmmm I would think it would be easier for an engine with more cylinders to rev higher than an engine with lesser number of cylinders if we're talking relatively similar displacement in both engines since the engine with more cylinders such as say a 3.0L V12 will have a much shorter stroke than our 3.0L V6, allowing it to rev much faster...also with a 12 cyl engine, you would get a power stroke from one of the 12 cylinders every 60 degrees rotation of the crank chaft unlike a V6 which occurs once every 120 degrees rotation so therefore in theory the ability to rev higher would be easier with more cylinders (still talking in terms of same displacement in both engines).

A 3.0L 12 cyl has pistons that are much smaller and usualy have a shorter stroke than that of a 3.0L 6 cyl engine so higher RPMs with less vibration are possible. formulaRX is correct.. :smile:

2000 more RPM = a 25% increase in piston to wall velocity. I'm of the opinion that if you wanted to get a reliable extra 2K RPM out of the same engine, you would need to decrease the stroke of the crankshaft and increase your rod length. Aside from the marathon runner breathing through the straw outlined in the post above, this is one of the largest limiting factors in getting an engine to rev and the main reason you don't see large displacement engines with huge strokes on them revving to kingdom come. :wink:

Back