• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/19 Tire choices!!!

S-Drive 225/35-18 & 275/30-19

Hi guys,

Just went thru the dilema myself as I had to make my tire selection, however
it was very simple as I could only find matching front and rears at Tirerack.com
in one brand / Yokohama S-Drives.

I've had these HRE 547's (Front 18x8 & Rear 19x10) since my last NSX nine
years ago. I ran Bridgestone Pole Positions at that time since they were
available, no longer apparently...

I went ahead and ordered the S-Drives in 225/35-18 & 275/30-19. I've read
the concerns about fronts rubbing and figured I'd have an oppertunity to return
/ exchange them for the 215's if neccesary with Tireracks 30 day policy.

I tried 215's nine years ago and too much of my lip was exposed and the front
tire looked stretched / too round as well. So we'll have to see how these go
once my coilovers arrive today and hopefully install and lower my latest NSX
soon. I'll be sure to post the results here....

I had them mounted yesterday and the appearance is great on the 225 with a
straight up the side in to transitional / smooth role over on to the tread pattern.
The front and rear profiles match up very well...

Here's a few pics...

Attachments

• Front HRE 547 S-Drive 225-35-18.jpg
    Front HRE 547 S-Drive 225-35-18.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Rear HRE 547 S-Drive 275-30-19.jpg
    Rear HRE 547 S-Drive 275-30-19.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Front 18x8 n Rear 19x10 HRE 547 S-Drives.jpg
    Front 18x8 n Rear 19x10 HRE 547 S-Drives.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 84
Sorry to say.. I can confirm lots of rubbing with this size 225/35-18

I was running S-02s at the time and only lowered on stock springs with Bils lower perch.

Bummer! I checked the old Bridgestone Pole Positions that I took off and found
that the S-Drive was actually a little smaller. Therefore I thought that I would
not have any issues. Then again I was lowered on my 2000 NSX with Eibachs
on stock shocks.

Will be sure to post my results after installing the coilovers, lowering, etc....

Now that I look back at some of my old pics I can see that I was not extremely
low, so I may have issues ... will have to see.

Attachments

• New_1_2000 MB.jpg
    New_1_2000 MB.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 156
  • New_1_2000 MB 2.jpg
    New_1_2000 MB 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 153
  • New_1_2000 MB 3.jpg
    New_1_2000 MB 3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Bummer! I checked the old Bridgestone Pole Positions that I took off and found
that the S-Drive was actually a little smaller. Therefore I thought that I would
not have any issues. Then again I was lowered on my 2000 NSX with Eibachs
on stock shocks.

Will be sure to post my results after installing the coilovers, lowering, etc....

Now that I look back at some of my old pics I can see that I was not extremely
low, so I may have issues ... will have to see.
You may be able to get away with it if you max out the neg camber. I had not at the time.

All is well thus far, took some Hard turns today and some high speed
bumps with no rubbing at all. I'm sure it will settle a bit more in the
week to come but am satisfied and am positive these work fine.:biggrin:

I guess it may also depend on the wheels / offsets for some...

Attachments

• No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 678
  • 2 No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    2 No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 669
  • 3 No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    3 No Rub 225-35-18 n 275-30-19.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 97
You've gone to 18/19 (front/rear?) wheels.. any particular brand recommended?

How does this affect performance and what is the main reason for this mod?
Changing to 18"/19" wheels has a big negative effect on performance, mostly due to tire availability. None of the really sticky "extreme performance" tires are available in NSX-friendly sizes for 18"/19" wheels, and there aren't many of the "max performance" tires in those sizes, either. That's why some people with 18"/19" wheels have had to take a big step down in performance, with inexpensive value-oriented tires like the Yokohama S.drive. The S.drive is a popular fitment for inexpensive sport compact cars, but using the S.drive on an NSX, instead of one of today's highest performance tires, really sacrifices a significant amount of the NSX's performance potential.

The most common 18"/19" sizes, 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, also are a step down in handling due to their higher "stagger", with a 60 mm difference in treadwidth, front vs rear.

If you want the best performance, get 16"/17", 17"/17", or 17"/18" wheels, with extreme performance tires to go on them. The most common, best-fitting sizes are 205/45-16, 215/45-16, or 215/40-17 front, and 245/40-17, 255/40-17, 255/35-18, or 265/35-18 rear. Depending on size, these tires include the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Kumho Ecsta XS, and Falken Azenis RT-615K. Another popular tire for NSXs is the Continental ExtremeContact DW, which is almost as good as these others on dry pavement (and way better than the S.drive), while providing better treadlife and a somewhat lower purchase price.

Last edited:
All is well thus far, took some Hard turns today and some high speed
bumps with no rubbing at all. I'm sure it will settle a bit more in the
week to come but am satisfied and am positive these work fine.:biggrin:

I guess it may also depend on the wheels / offsets for some...

The main reasons I don't like the 225/35/18 front (besides the rubbing & TCS issues) is
1) The sidewall of the tire ends up being bigger than the rear. (pix 1)
2) It also fills the fender gap more than the rear too, giving the car an unbalanced look IMO. (pix 1)
3) Because the sidewall is bigger, the car actually has a "reverse rake" (the front sits higher than the rear). (most noticeable in pix 2)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wheels on the car look great though, Terry! Still waiting on the "REAL" photoshoot if you know what I mean.. :biggrin:

How about Riken Raptor ZR tires? Sub division of Michelin tires. Lot a good reviews from different car forums. Good performance tires and grip wet & dry. I thought I'd give them a try at $430.00 out the door for set of 4 plus $100.00 rebate debit card. I dont drive the car anyways. Hope there not too much taller than my old school Yoko ES tires.

How about Riken Raptor ZR tires? Sub division of Michelin tires. Lot a good reviews from different car forums. Good performance tires and grip wet & dry. I thought I'd give them a try at $430.00 out the door for set of 4 plus $100.00 rebate debit card. I dont drive the car anyways. Hope there not too much taller than my old school Yoko ES tires.

If you read a bit into what Ken wrote above, you will see that most "performance" tires are a big downgrade on the NSX due to the fact that the OEM tires were actually an extremely sticky tire.

The Riken tires would be a great choice for a mostly stock Civic or Accord - but for the NSX it's a mistake in my books.

The main reasons I don't like the 225/35/18 front (besides the rubbing & TCS issues) is
1) The sidewall of the tire ends up being bigger than the rear. (pix 1)
2) It also fills the fender gap more than the rear too, giving the car an unbalanced look IMO. (pix 1)
3) Because the sidewall is bigger, the car actually has a "reverse rake" (the front sits higher than the rear). (most noticeable in pix 2)
Wheels on the car look great though, Terry! Still waiting on the "REAL" photoshoot if you know what I mean.. :biggrin:

Hey there Hapa, Thank you!

It is a little unbalanced in the pics, the front is a bit higher than the rear as I was tired of removing and adjusting and figured I'd wait to adjust it a week later after it has settled. Should look even better after final adjustment. Still no Rubbing at this time....

I guess I may have to check out a set of 215's as I would prefer a bit more roll from the side wall to the tread. I had read on another thread somewhere here at Prime that the S.Drives were wider than most mfg's but disregarded the reading as I had a terrible experience with 215/35-18's Ten years ago with Bridgestone Pole Positions & Michillin Pilot Sports I had taken off my last NSX immediately as they were too stretched and gave the roll over like a lowrider on Wire Daytons! That's when the guys at HRE had me order a set of Pole Positions in 225/35-18 and they worked perfect. Just ordered a set of S-Drives in 215 and will see which one looks better... then sell the remainder.

Take care!
T

Last edited:
Well, a couple days later now ... Verdict In on S-Drives! 215/35-18 Indeed
appears better! Ordered them Wednesday and they arrived Thursday and
mounted Friday with a night time install / last night and pics today.

215/35-18 & 275/30-19 Is the Setup to Stay:biggrin: ..... here are a couple of pics!
t-bodz

t-bodz

Last edited:
Hapa88, You were Right! The Sidewalls match up must better with
a similar roll on the edge to the rears / not straight up the wall!

Thanks Brother / Stormrider!

Last edited:
I just went 18/19 too.
Went a bit more affordable than others as a friend of mine had great success with ROH wheels. He's 17/18, but the ROH is hard to find in 17 front anymore.
Went Sumitomo HTRZ3, 215/35-18 and 275/30-19

Here's a pic of the wheel test fitting. Need correct hub rings as the nice metal ones fitted were 65mm instead of 64.

0ba4ccdb.jpg

I just went 18/19 too.
Went a bit more affordable than others as a friend of mine had great success with ROH wheels. He's 17/18, but the ROH is hard to find in 17 front anymore.
Went Sumitomo HTRZ3, 215/35-18 and 275/30-19

Here's a pic of the wheel test fitting. Need correct hub rings as the nice metal ones fitted were 65mm instead of 64.

0ba4ccdb.jpg

Looking Good, interested to see what you think of the Sumitomos .... Please
let us know down the road. Looking forward to pics of the finished product!

I may be able to get a good price on a pair of rears that match the make/model of my fronts. Problem is the size is 275/35/19, rather than 265/30/19 or 275/30/19. Anyone know if there are TCS issues (or other issues) with running 275/35/19 in the rear with 215/35/18 in the front?

I may be able to get a good price on a pair of rears that match the make/model of my fronts. Problem is the size is 275/35/19, rather than 265/30/19 or 275/30/19. Anyone know if there are TCS issues (or other issues) with running 275/35/19 in the rear with 215/35/18 in the front?

Don't do it.

Back