• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/19 Tire choices!!!

So I'll be ok running the 265's on my 10" wide rim?
Most 265/30-19 tires, including the KDW2, are approved for mounting on 19x10 rims. So they should be okay. However...

I was gonna go with the s drives, but I hear they are discontinuing them and replacing them with a new tire.
The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (which you can get in 215/35-18 and 275/30-19) is still better than any other tire available in 18"/19" sizes, including the KDW2 and the S.drive. On an NSX, why settle for anything less than the best? :smile:

This is true, although some may wish to sacrifice traction for longer wear or other things...

This is true, although some may wish to sacrifice traction for longer wear or other things...
True, but the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric should last as long as the KDW2 or the S.drive, in addition to providing better performance.

I just got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in 215/35-18 and 265/30-19. I got the fronts from Tirerack and the rears from Discounted Wheel Warehouse, but I think they too are now out of the 265 size although they are still listed on their website.

Tirerack did tell me though that the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 will be there soon and is offered in the 265/30/19 size (it is already priced in their system). The '2' is supposed to be lighter and have a higher wear rating. However, it isn't yet known if it will be produced in the 215/35/18 size for the fronts. It would be in 2012 at the earliest if they do.

Keith
97T blue/tan
BBS LM's!

True, but the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric should last as long as the KDW2 or the S.drive, in addition to providing better performance.

HA! - NOT EVEN CLOSE!

I have worn down F1 asymmetrics to the wear bar consistently in 6K miles.

KDW's lasted me 8K+ on the same car.

S-drives are in the middle somewhere.

Last edited:
Here's another shot that is hopefully a little less 4x4 looking.
I have a steep driveway, and just installed the car's 4th chin spoiler, so the factory settings will have to do for now...

Attachments

• 2011-09-02_13-07-00_845.jpg
    2011-09-02_13-07-00_845.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 384
Not really....

Toyo T1R: 265/35ZR18 97Y RD 246090 9.0-10.0-10.5 25.4 10.5 10

Yoko S Drive: 265/30R19 93Y 01078 XL 300/AA/A 25.50 9.5 9.0 - 10.0

Only .10 Inflated Dimension diff.

I would go with S Drive

Spec is one thing but real life says otherwise...I ran a T1R 215/35/18 up front and it has a slightly stretched look, no rubbing. However I tried the Yoko in the same size and it rubs for sure!

How come no one here has suggested the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs? Those are the most popular in the s2000 group and they look/feel great.

Spec is one thing but real life says otherwise...I ran a T1R 215/35/18 up front and it has a slightly stretched look, no rubbing. However I tried the Yoko in the same size and it rubs for sure!

How come no one here has suggested the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs? Those are the most popular in the s2000 group and they look/feel great.

check tire sizes and you will know why

Yes - the S-drive is VERY big for it's size -

The star spec is not available in 18-19 sizes.

Yes - the S-drive is VERY big for it's size -

I was planning on getting the S-drives for my LMs, but my offsets will be very aggressive and it seems like the size of the S-drives will cause rubbing.

Would the BFG KDWs be a better choice then?

For the absolute best traction in a street tire, stick with the "extreme performance" tires like the Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Star Spec, or Kumho XS.

Unfortunately, none of those come in the tire sizes discussed in this thread.

Unfortunately, none of those come in the tire sizes discussed in this thread.
And that's why it's unfortunate when a thread gets hijacked by someone whose setup is different from what's being discussed here.

Going back to 18"/19" tire sizes, there are no extreme performance tires in 18"/19" NSX sizes. At the time this topic was first created, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric was available in 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, but that rear size has been discontinued. The only maximum performance tire still available in those sizes is the Sumitomo HTR Z III, so that's what I'd recommend to those looking for the best performance for 18"/19" wheels.

To add to this, could I use the S-drives for 18/19 if I am dropped 1.25 or would I run the risk of rubbing?

I'm slammed & I only rub when entering a steep driveway & the wheel is slightly locked. Nothing too serious, the rear doesn't rub at all.

I'm slammed & I only rub when entering a steep driveway & the wheel is slightly locked. Nothing too serious, the rear doesn't rub at all.

Just to be clear... Are you on S drives? Like the stance you have, I'm aiming for something similar.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Folks..

I was looking for the latest info on tires to replace my fronts on my 94 stock NSX. This thread is interesting and I really like the look of the car posted earlier.

Some stupid questions if I may..

You've gone to 18/19 (front/rear?) wheels.. any particular brand recommended?

How does this affect performance and what is the main reason for this mod?

I see the recommendations for tires but it seems like a hit and miss situation as far as rubbing is concerned?

thanks gents!

Hi Folks..

I was looking for the latest info on tires to replace my fronts on my 94 stock NSX. This thread is interesting and I really like the look of the car posted earlier.

Some stupid questions if I may..

You've gone to 18/19 (front/rear?) wheels.. any particular brand recommended? Yes, 18front/19rear. Look around and buy whatever wheel wheel/brand YOU like.

How does this affect performance and what is the main reason for this mod?
I've had 17/18's for 6+ years and 18/19's for about 7 months & to me the car feels exactly the same, I can still take corners as hard as I did w/ my 17/18 auth BBS LM's.
I see the recommendations for tires but it seems like a hit and miss situation as far as rubbing is concerned?
If you get the right wheel size(width & offset) & the right tire size, you should be fine. You may only rub on the inside of the wheel well when the wheel is locked or entering/ exiting steep driveways. I avoid ALL places that have steep entrances. But if your going for the look of the blue Nsx w/ the BBS's you wont have any problems rubbing.
thanks gents!

Here's a recent pic so you can see how low it is.
20120202_165852og.jpg

That's my car! Thanks for the pic. Saving it as an inspiration.

I'm not really sure how to make the call on the wheels. I will look around this forum and see if there are any discussions with details.

What are BBs ? And DPEs? :)

thanks for the info. your car looks great.

Last edited:
Back