• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/19 Tire choices!!!

FYI, a member here in so cal runs 17/18 Advan RS' with that same Project Mu Caliper.

Looks good. However, if I switch, I want to use rims similar to my current wedsports, which would be switching to the SA60-M and I don't think they would clear my brakes Is he using a spacer or anything to get them to fit? DO you know his offset?

Here's how close brakes are with the 18x10" with 40 offset now..

brake-clearance.jpg

brake-clearance2.jpg

For the available front, You could run 15mm spacers to achieve an effective 33 offset. That would be very close to the Advan fitment above.

It's not the rears I'm concerned about, it's the front, clearing the Project MU's.

Duh, I should have read your post closer, you were talking about the fronts.
I haven't found an USA suppliers who have the 60m in 17".

Duh, I should have read your post closer, you were talking about the fronts.
I haven't found an USA suppliers who have the 60m in 17".

Just get advans. They are lighter and better built than the weds. You should have jumped in on my RSII group buy. Contact Ahmed@vivid. He may even get the weds if you are bent on those. Email or call don't PM him. If you search I have several threads and polls on the sa60M versus the advans. The weds don't come in the right affects either. Advans do.

Just get advans. They are lighter and better built than the weds. You should have jumped in on my RSII group buy. Contact Ahmed@vivid. He may even get the weds if you are bent on those. Email or call don't PM him. If you search I have several threads and polls on the sa60M versus the advans. The weds don't come in the right affects either. Advans do.

Thanks, but I'm pretty stuck on the Weds. They fit in with my long-term aesthetics and the blue matches my brake powdercoat. I'll try and get in touch when Ahmed and see if he can get the 18" and 17" weds.

Thanks, but I'm pretty stuck on the Weds. They fit in with my long-term aesthetics and the blue matches my brake powdercoat. I'll try and get in touch when Ahmed and see if he can get the 18" and 17" weds.

You'll probably need some spacers then.

Just found another tire to add to the list of 18/19 combos.

Federal 595 (formerly the ss595)
http://www.federaltire.com/en/products_detail.php?class=Federal-Motorsports&products_detail_sn=8

b_photo_1324946666089.jpg

Available in 215/35/18 for the fronts
And 265/30/19 or 275/30/19 for the rears!
http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/products/20120711233035187.pdf

Not sure how good they are but I hear they are inexpensive. I'm curious to see how they'll be as a street tire with their UTQG is 240/AA/A. As a side note, I've run the 595RS-R (a different tire) with a UTQG of 140/AA/A and they are fantastic on the track.

Some people do like this tire, one observation I can make is that it seems really wide size for size.

- - - Updated - - -

It is also funny that people think Weds, Advan, Enkei etc. are better than one another - they are all made by Enkei...

Last edited:
Angus where do you get that information from? I have never heard that Yokohama has enkei making their wheels. Even if true, and they are being made in the same factory, that certainly does not make these brands the "same wheel". The reason I said the RSII is better than then weds SA60M is because the sa60 is sort of an ignored wheel by weds. They come in very limited offsets, limited colors, and are heavier. Are they manufactured "better", I don't know. I don't know if the SA60 is flow formed.

Truth is within one brand the quality of wheels differ greatly. A Volk is a higher quality wheel than a Gram Lights, even though they are all made by volk. Even under the enkei brand you have very high quality forged wheels, and you have some pretty cheap cast wheels. I don't think anything coming out of an enkei factory or a Yokohama factory is going to be "poor" in quality, but I can't say that for all brands. It is best to compare model to model. I think saying the wheels are the same because they exit the same factory is like saying all Bridgestone tires or Michelin tires are the same. Or saying "Bridgestone is better than Dunlop".

Last edited:
Angus where do you get that information from? I have never heard that Yokohama has enkei making their wheels. Even if true, and they are being made in the same factory, that certainly does not make these brands the "same wheel". The reason I said the RSII is better than then weds SA60M is because the sa60 is sort of an ignored wheel by weds. They come in very limited offsets, limited colors, and are heavier. Are they manufactured "better", I don't know. I don't know if the SA60 is flow formed.

Truth is within one brand the quality of wheels differ greatly. A Volk is a higher quality wheel than a Gram Lights, even though they are all made by volk. Even under the enkei brand you have very high quality forged wheels, and you have some pretty cheap cast wheels. I don't think anything coming out of an enkei factory or a Yokohama factory is going to be "poor" in quality, but I can't say that for all brands. It is best to compare model to model. I think saying the wheels are the same because they exit the same factory is like saying all Bridgestone tires or Michelin tires are the same. Or saying "Bridgestone is better than Dunlop".

It's all about marketing, if you look at the "good" Enkei wheels, they are the ones made in Japan - these are the ones I am referring to. BTW - none of them are really "forged" rather they use "M.A.T" ("most advanced technology").

If you look closely, you will see the labels inside the barrels of Adavn, Enkei, and Weds (only to name a few) are all the same, some even bear the name of the same inspectors etc.

There are only a few foundries in Japan making wheels - Enkei is one of the largest.

I assure you that if a difference exists in the Enkei Japan wheels it is due to the design and style of the wheels and not the manufacturer, within every brand there are stronger or lighter wheels, I was merely commenting on what I have heard many times - "Advan is better than Weds or Enkei is better than ..."

I see your point about products ranging in quality within one company, the difference is that with Rays, their wheels are all made in Japan in the same factories - Volk = are almost always forged wheels (with the exception of those that use cast centers) and while the Rays Gram Lights "brand" also has featured some forged 2pc. wheels (using the exact same barrels as the Volks and cast centers) they have mainly now become heavier cast wheels.

Rays also makes other people's wheels for them - Prodrive, RO_JA, etc.

The same cannot be said for Enkei, their Japan made wheels are mostly all the same high quality - with the exception of some 2pc wheels that were made in the past like Weds 2pc. , Blitz 2pc. , Racing Hart, original Stern just to name a few (on the old days - 80's LOL - there were scores of wheels made by Rays and Enkei, all labelled with other brand names) - most of their wheels now are 1pc. and use the same "M.A.T" process while their cheaper cast wheels are made in China.

It is not at all the same as comparing to tires because while tires use a different rubber compound to change the performance, I have found that the metallurgy of the wheels made by Enkei in Japan is not much different - as I said the design might produce a wheel that is lighter or stronger but the build quality (the process) and materials are the same - in fact a lot of the Enkei wheels are marked with the grade of aluminum used, I have seen the metal used in wheels from years of welding them myself and even making one wheel out of two sometimes (a Chinese Enkei cast wheel and a Japan Enkei wheel are completely different, and these are not what I am referring to)

So do you have actual proof that weds and advan are made by enkei? What I am asking is, is this a gut feeling you are confident of or is this actually spelled out in some document? Because I have heard otherwise. I am not saying you are not correct, I just don't know who to believe. FWIW, I don't think advan makes any cast wheels. Enkei has plenty.

How did this thread go into a "these wheels are better than these wheels because of this and this name". I want to read about tire choices.

Haven't we exhausted 18/19 tire choices?

Anyway Angus started it... LOL

I think this thread is great for those who choose to use it (there are still the odd "what 18/19 tires do I get" posts) so I think it'll go on.

Sorry for dragging it off topic guys (I'll PM you TURBO)

Back to 18/19 TIRES!

How about those Federals...

I think this thread is great for those who choose to use it (there are still the odd "what 18/19 tires do I get" posts) so I think it'll go on.

Sorry for dragging it off topic guys (I'll PM you TURBO)

Back to 18/19 TIRES!

How about those Federals...

+1 for this. Yes, how about those Federals. Love the look of them. How about performance? Anyone tried them yet?

Ok, so here is my new question. My turbo and engine is done, and I made 280rwhp, which makes my 275/35/19's useless on my back tires. I still profess total ineptness at the whole tire ratio concept.

Also, I know many people will disagree with running different model tires on front and back, but at 580rwhp and 2745 lbs of car, I want to try because I have to keep my 18"front/19"rear setup.

I would like to get 295's on the back, if so, what size should I put on the front?

I can get 295/30/19 or 295/35/19 for the rears. If I did this, what's the best suggested front tire size you guys would suggest?
Thanks a ton!

I made 280rwhp, which makes my 275/35/19's useless on my back tires. I still profess total ineptness at the whole tire ratio concept.
I would like to get 295's on the back, if so, what size should I put on the front?
You're laboring under the common misconception that tire size is a major factor in traction. It's not - especially in straight-line traction. The major factor in traction is the design of the tire, as reflected in its characteristics like compound, tread design, construction, etc. A stickier, narrower tire will always give you better traction than a less sticky, wider tire. The reason your 275/35-19 tires aren't sticking isn't because of the size; it's because they are almost certainly a relatively low-performance tire.

If you really want to improve your traction, you'll need really sticky "extreme performance summer tires". Unfortunately, no such tires are available in NSX-friendly 18"/19" sizes (like 215/35-18 and 265/30-19 or 275/30-19). Get some 17"/18" wheels and you can get some supersticky Dunlop Direzza ZII or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 (and AD08R) tires for them, in 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 or 265/35-18. They'll give you way more stick than anything in 18"/19" sizes for an NSX.

You're laboring under the common misconception that tire size is a major factor in traction. It's not - especially in straight-line traction. The major factor in traction is the design of the tire, as reflected in its characteristics like compound, tread design, construction, etc. A stickier, narrower tire will always give you better traction than a less sticky, wider tire. The reason your 275/35-19 tires aren't sticking isn't because of the size; it's because they are almost certainly a relatively low-performance tire.

If you really want to improve your traction, you'll need really sticky "extreme performance summer tires". Unfortunately, no such tires are available in NSX-friendly 18"/19" sizes (like 215/35-18 and 265/30-19 or 275/30-19). Get some 17"/18" wheels and you can get some supersticky Dunlop Direzza ZII or Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 (and AD08R) tires for them, in 215/40-17 and 255/35-18 or 265/35-18. They'll give you way more stick than anything in 18"/19" sizes for an NSX.

Thank you for the suggestion. I can't do 17/18's. We have tried, but no 17" rim will fit around my Project MU front brakes, they are the first generation Project MU's made, and just too big. I have photos at the top of this page. Even with spacers, offsets, etc. The diameter of a 17" is too small for front calipers.

This is why I'm going to try putting 2 different tire types/brands/models on the car.
So, like a something like an Extereme Performance Tire in the rear and and a different tire model on the front, like a Max Performance. If I tried this, what size combo would you suggest?

that will give you huge understeer as the back will push the front through the corner

I agree. It's not a good idea to use a much stickier tire at one end of the car than the other, because the handling will suffer, as noted above. (However, as an exception, if you enjoy taking your car to the dragstrip, you might consider getting an extra pair of rear wheels with stickier tires in the rear, but not for the street, only for the strip.)

I'd go with the Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is the only max performance tire available in 215/35-18, at all four corners. For the rear, I'd go with 275/30-19 on a '91-93 NSX, 265/30-19 on a '94-05 NSX.

Last edited:
I agree. It's not a good idea to use a much stickier tire at one end of the car than the other, because the handling will suffer, as noted above. (However, as an exception, if you enjoy taking your car to the dragstrip, you might consider getting an extra pair of rear wheels with stickier tires in the rear, but not for the street, only for the strip.)

I'd go with the Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is the only max performance tire available in 215/35-18, at all four corners. For the rear, I'd go with 275/30-19 on a '91-93 NSX, 265/30-19 on a '94-05 NSX.

Good suggestion. I did some research and found some good threads on the Sumitomos. Here's a nice write up... http://www.gastiresoil.com/showthread.php?t=1868

Of course my favorite tire, the supersports, still are number 1, but alas, I must give up with my 18/19's. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/michelin-pilot-super-sport-page-10

Back