• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/19 Tire choices!!!

I agree. It's not a good idea to use a much stickier tire at one end of the car than the other, because the handling will suffer, as noted above. (However, as an exception, if you enjoy taking your car to the dragstrip, you might consider getting an extra pair of rear wheels with stickier tires in the rear, but not for the street, only for the strip.)

I'd go with the Sumitomo HTR Z III, which is the only max performance tire available in 215/35-18, at all four corners. For the rear, I'd go with 275/30-19 on a '91-93 NSX, 265/30-19 on a '94-05 NSX.

Ok, so I'm going to take your suggestion and try the Sumitomos, 215/35R18 Fronts. Last question...... Do you see an issue if I put the 285/35/19's of the Sumitomo on the rears? My TCS is totally disabled, so that's not an issue.
Thanks!

Ok, so I'm going to take your suggestion and try the Sumitomos, 215/35R18 Fronts. Last question...... Do you see an issue if I put the 285/35/19's of the Sumitomo on the rears? My TCS is totally disabled, so that's not an issue.
Thanks!

Do not put a 285/35/19 on the rear. It'll look really off balance as the sidewall of the rear will be significantly more than the sidewall size of the front. I guess it's ok if you're going for the dragster look.
The rear should be no more than a 275/30/19

I'm pretty sure I explained this all to you before you got your other tires that you're now replacing.. Just as a side note though, don't expect much more traction from the Sumitomos than the tires you already have, you're still going to have tons of traction issues.

Last edited:
Do not put a 285/35/19 on the rear. It'll look really off balance as the sidewall of the rear will be significantly more than the sidewall size of the front. I guess it's ok if you're going for the dragster look.
The rear should be no more than a 275/30/19

I'm pretty sure I explained this all to you before you got your other tires that you're now replacing.. Just as a side note though, don't expect much more traction from the Sumitomos than the tires you already have, you're still going to have tons of traction issues.

I'm running Yokohamas S-Drives now, so I would hope the Sumitomo HTR Z III are better. Do you have experience that they won't make any difference? Reading some archives, some Primers say that running 2 different make and models are not that bad, as long as they both are in the same "Performance" category. http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-165582.html

Other option might be the CT-Engineering camber bushings at http://ct-engineering.com/ProductLi...rontCamberBushingsNSX/tabid/1028/Default.aspx

Then I could run bigger tires in front without rubbing, which would allow bigger in the back.

I've run different makes of tires on my nsx for a long time. Never was really comfortable with the knowledge that it's not idea but did it anyways. I never ran on a track though but planning a head I've now sourced correct matching tires for the fronts.

It's not ideal but it's not a big deal I don't think as people make it out to be, just match performance categories and be aware that if you ever track it throw off the balance of some things and also if you're driving in any "abnormal conditions" you should keep that in the back of your mind...

I've run different makes of tires on my nsx for a long time. Never was really comfortable with the knowledge that it's not idea but did it anyways. I never ran on a track though but planning a head I've now sourced correct matching tires for the fronts.

It's not ideal but it's not a big deal I don't think as people make it out to be, just match performance categories and be aware that if you ever track it throw off the balance of some things and also if you're driving in any "abnormal conditions" you should keep that in the back of your mind...
I love in hawaii so no track, and the islands only about 40 miles wide, and normally traffic as hell. My driving is 98% straight line and stop lights.

Thanks!
I don't know if there are any clearance issues with that size. But the handling of the NSX seems to suffer when using a "stagger" (difference in widths, front vs rear) of greater than 50 mm. So I think you'd be better off with the more common 265/30-19 or 275/30-19, both of which are available for the HTR Z III.

Pirelli offers their P-Zero Nero in NSX 18/19 Sizes. Does anyone have any experience with these? http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/car/sheet/pzero_nero_gt.html

- - - Updated - - -

After searching and reading more, I have found the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. They offer 18/19 in 215/35/18 and 265-295/30/19's. From every forum I've read, they seem to get good reviews on Prime and other car forums.

How the heck did I miss this thread?

Thanks again for the input. I reposted my question here at your suggestion so that it was in the appropriate thread.

The odd thing is, my car has tons of room up front for more, and the same for my rears. I've attached 2 photos that I have, and my rears have 5mm spacers on them already, so I what would the problem be if I put those spacers on the front if necessary?
What are your wheel widths and offsets front and rear?

What tire and sizes F&R are these? (Post #103)

Ok, so being the non-conformist I am along with access to wholesale pricing, I figured, what the hell, why not try it and see. So I ordered the Michelin Pilot Supersports for my car. Had them put on my Wedsport SA-55ms. 18x8 fronts and 19x10 rears. Here's the tire sizes I did...

Front - 225/40ZR18
Rears - 275/30ZR19

Love them!! The passenger side rubs only if I turn the wheel as hard as I can full lock. They cleared the welded seam in the rear part of the fender area by about 1/2cm at the point where the weld starts to curve down, so I took a dremel and shaved about 1cm off of this seam at the corner just to be safe.
Been driving on them since Saturday and love them. So much more comfortable and stable then the Falkens that were on before. I loved the Super Sports on my m3 and love them even more on my NSX. The car feels like it simply couldn't slide no matter how hard I push it.
I'm glad I took the risk, as I honestly haven't seen any tires that stand up to the Super Sports.
Will post pics tomorrow when I remember to take them in good light. Been inside the car too much enjoying it.
THANK YOU for not following the norm and pioneering what will probably be the direction to go in for future NSX tire sizes. After days of research, I came up with the direction that you already went in and your posts solidify my plan on following in your footsteps.

While the recommended 215/35-18 front 265/30-19 or 275/30-19 rear setups are 'ideal' especially when looking at TCS ratios, there are pretty much no good tires in this size.

There is a TON of great tire selections in 225/40-18 and with the removal of the inner liners (which I think I have a good replacement idea to solve the rock chip issue), and possibly the DF wide front fenders, I think the 225/40-18 is the way of the future.

HOWEVER, your 275/30-19 rear is out of the range for TCS. If you don't use TCS, then there is no issue, but you don't have any sidewall which can affect your straight line acceleration, ride quality, and cornering compliance over bumps. Now a 265/35-19, 275/35-19, 285/35-19, and 295/35-19 ALL fall into the acceptable TCS range for the NSX when used with a 225/40-18 front tire. The large sidewall of said tire also better matches the sidewall of the 225/40-18 front tire.

So:

-a 215/35-18 does not work visually or TCS with a 2_5/35-19 rear
-a 225/40-18 does not work visually or TCS with a 2_5/30-19 rear

BUT:

-a 225/40-18 DOES work both visually and with TCS with a 2_5/35-19 rear.

The larger rear sidewall of the 275/35-19 will improve acceleration, ride quality, and cornering compliance.

I agree with you and also really like the PSS tire, which is in the same class as the AD08, RS3, and NT05. IMO all of these are a lot better than the Sumitomo HTR ZIII.

Here's some pics. Not best quality as sun is behind the car, but all I can do this morning. That's my 1969 Bronco behind the car. I'm actually happy to say nothing I drive has power steering :).
Do you have more pictures of this setup? (Post #119)

Did you ever install the KW coilovers?

Last edited:
Imho 275 35 19 or even 265 35 19 is way too tall. That is just from previous 12 years of ownership and about 100 sets of wheels. LOL

Imho 275 35 19 or even 265 35 19 is way too tall. That is just from previous 12 years of ownership and about 100 sets of wheels. LOL
They look great on my M3, all of the best tires are in this size, they offer more compliance for ride quality and performance than a 30 sidewall, and subjectively, they look more like a fatter sidewall on GT racecars. I've also never really been a fan of paper thin tires.

If you like the look of the tiny sidewalls and the compromised tire sizes that come with them, and you don't need the best tires on the market, then by all means go with a narrower tire.

If you want the best performing tires on the market, and a sidewall that will improve ride quality, compliance, and performance on track, this is probably the future direction for the NSX.

Opinions are opinions. I'm never against what anyone else wants to run on their own car. To me, and many others that much meat on an 18/19 setup just looks silly. WAY too big for the wheel wells on the NSX. If you're looking for a beefy setup, 17/18 hands down is a better way to go. Our wheel wells are MUCH smaller than a M3, I have also owned many in the past.

Here's a "prime example"

I would love to see it!
My guess is that it'll look horrible and you'll have tons of rubbing and TCS issues.

Here's a 265 or 275/35/19
20120726_175031.jpg

Here's a guy that put a 225/40/18 on their car:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46035

They look great on my M3, all of the best tires are in this size, they offer more compliance for ride quality and performance than a 30 sidewall, and subjectively, they look more like a fatter sidewall on GT racecars. I've also never really been a fan of paper thin tires.

If you like the look of the tiny sidewalls and the compromised tire sizes that come with them, and you don't need the best tires on the market, then by all means go with a narrower tire.

If you want the best performing tires on the market, and a sidewall that will improve ride quality, compliance, and performance on track, this is probably the future direction for the NSX.

The NSX is very "Sensitive" to tire sidewall changes. M3's are a totally different car and cannot be compared since euro cars have huge wheel wells.

I would care to add that even the brand of the tire is very important. In my trial and error, the same tire 215 up front, a Yokohama would not fit and rub, but the Toyo T1r fit perfectly.

As the NSX owner, you really need to decide how you want the overall look such as a rake angle or sitting flat, how low is your car and what body enhancements you have on the car. Improper sizing will make even the best NSX look horrible. This is my experience so be careful what you pick.

I used to run 18/18 BBS wheels and the rears (255/40/18) never looked right. It was always too small or too thick depending on the angle. Only when I switched to a 18/19 combo and picked the right tire did it settle correctly.

Opinions are opinions. I'm never against what anyone else wants to run on their own car. To me, and many others that much meat on an 18/19 setup just looks silly. WAY too big for the wheel wells on the NSX. If you're looking for a beefy setup, 17/18 hands down is a better way to go. Our wheel wells are MUCH smaller than a M3, I have also owned many in the past.

Here's a "prime example"
What tires is that car running? Like track widths, sidewalls vary from brand to brand and tire model to tire model. After looking at various 275/35-19 setups on a 19x10 (including my M3) they do not bulge as much as that car.

There is a lot wrong with the picture of the red car which makes it not a very good example. Its on uneven pavement which visually makes the front ride height even worse, the front tire is not properly balanced with a 225/40-18, the front and rear ride heights are off (needs coilovers), and is pre-02 bodywork which visually makes the car look higher.

Here's some 275/35-19 that looks a lot better:
Nero Tenebre 19x9.5 275-35-19.jpg
19x10 295-35-19a.jpg

The NSX is very "Sensitive" to tire sidewall changes. M3's are a totally different car and cannot be compared since euro cars have huge wheel wells.

I would care to add that even the brand of the tire is very important. In my trial and error, the same tire 215 up front, a Yokohama would not fit and rub, but the Toyo T1r fit perfectly.

As the NSX owner, you really need to decide how you want the overall look such as a rake angle or sitting flat, how low is your car and what body enhancements you have on the car. Improper sizing will make even the best NSX look horrible. This is my experience so be careful what you pick.

I used to run 18/18 BBS wheels and the rears (255/40/18) never looked right. It was always too small or too thick depending on the angle. Only when I switched to a 18/19 combo and picked the right tire did it settle correctly.
The T1R is okay for the street but it's not a very good track tire.

I'm pretty familiar with tracking NSXs, knowing how 'sensitive' they are to any tire size changes, the importance of balance, and fitting wide (345) tires on them :wink:

I suck at photoshop, and the car still does not have the 02 bodywork on it, but here's a vague idea:
0000 test lowered.jpg

Last edited:
To me, and many others that much meat on an 18/19 setup just looks silly. WAY too big for the wheel wells on the NSX. If you're looking for a beefy setup, 17/18 hands down is a better way to go.
I agree. But to me, looks are secondary, and performance and practicality are bigger considerations. And to me, 17"/18" is a better way to go for those reasons as well. There are lots of choices of really sticky tires in the 17"/18" sizes too. No need to mess around with the protective inner fender liners, either.

Bonhamsurf ran 225/40-18 on a 18x8 +35 under a stock fender. I feel there would be a little more wiggle room if Downforce wide front fenders were used with no front fender liner.

Here's an example of a 225/40-18 on a stock fender with my masterful photoshop skills to lower his car:

supersports (15) LOWERED F.jpg

Attachments

• supersports (15) LOWERED.jpg
    supersports (15) LOWERED.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
I thought this would be a good place to record this- not all tires are created equal that's for sure. I just put a 215/35/18 BFG KDW2 on an 8.5" front wheel and it's so wide it doesn't even look stretched and it has bead protectors that keep wheels safe. Maybe not the top tier performance tire and this size may be on it's way out but I love this tire to death. It's getting hard to find matching rears but I found a pair used and put the matching 265/30/19 on a 10" rear and it also looks right. First four pics front, last one rears.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397526529.633815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397526543.067193.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397526552.517874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397526572.867019.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397526614.450700.jpg

Does anyone know if the sumitomo htr ziii runs wide or narrow? It doesn't have a bead protector but maybe the width can make up for it...

20140610_160822a.jpg20140610_160753a.jpg
A bit late. I picked up the Sumitomo's some time in October 14. Front 215/35/18. Rear 275/30/19. TE37's are 8.5" Width in the front and 10" Width in the Rear. Stock height, they do not rub. I lowered it a month after with coils. It settled a bit low, and rubbed on the outer fenders on slight turns and bumps. I raised it close to stock height. When I bought the car, it had the TE's with Toyo tires. The fronts had 215/40/18. Stock height it rubbed on the inside of the Wheel well around U turns or almost full lock. I kept in mind the tire circumference because of traction control. I also did not want to split the models for the tires. The Sumitomos don't feel as sticky, but I haven't slipped on them yet. They just seel to flex or take a split second to settle when I am cornering. Yet again this is all sujective. In the picture I had driven about a month on it and it settled to this height with the new suspension. As you can see there is not much bead protection in the front. The rear is closer to flush, but it is because of the rim width.

- - - Updated - - -

20140801_075354.jpg

Attachments

• 20140610_160750.jpg
    20140610_160750.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Any pics of the inside of the wheel to see how stretched the tire is on there?

I'll try to get a few pictures. I have some when it is off but only the face of the Rim. It isn't stretched that much. I think it had 215's on there before but the profile was too tall and would rub on the inside at full lock, I think 40. The rear at 265 the lip of the rim would stick out. I think with the front, the rubber rim guard starts where the lip of the rim is and doesn't give much protection but doesn't look like it is off.

2_zps06b8e607.jpg

225/40/18 and 275/35/19. Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Front DSCN0598.jpgDSCN0599a.jpgDSCN0606.jpgDSCN0607a.jpg RearDSCN0603.jpgDSCN0604a.jpgDSCN0605a.jpg I think the 4th picture shows the front inner rim. It is about a 1mm out from in from the lip. There is some stretch because of the profile. Since I put the tires on, its been over 2,000 miles now.

"Necro-bump* I know, but...

Well its about that time for me (to replace tires) - All I can seem to find on TR, in the summer category, are the Sumi HTR ZIII's and Yoko S-Drives (in 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 sizes) - Toyo doesn't seem to be offering the T1R's in these sizes anymore.

Therefore, I must ask, does anyone have any better suggestions as of late, on responsive/grippy tires in these sizes?

Pilot Super Sports are in your rear size and close in your front size and they are a great tire.

Back