• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 nsx

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick update. I picked up the car Saturday and drove it for most of the weekend. I'm very happy with it and the only thing that is beyond annoying is a horrible squeaking everytime I hit any kind of bump coming from the rear. The Bilstiens only have about 500 miles on them and the car is at stock height, so I'm going to be really surprised if that is the culprit. It's at the dealership today and the Foreman said he thinks it will probably be a bushing that either needs to replaced, or more than likely, just lubed.

Other than that, I got Steve's HID kit installed Saturday night and the US Spec Ipod adapter installed yesterday. I'm letting the dealership install the OEM alarm system today and if my hardwire kit for my radar detector comes in, they'll install that too. Had to spend most of my weekend close to my dog, as she is on the mend so I didn't get to drive it as much as I wanted. Anyway, here's the one picture I have of the car in his new home already sucking up a little bit of power for the battery. Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• 20121215_213906.jpg
    20121215_213906.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Awesome! I did not know you bought a Grand Prix White 1994. Is it a manual with Onyx (black) interior? If so, they only made 20 of them that year. I have one that is production number 00176. What number is yours? It will be the last 5 digits of the VIN plate or the plaque you see when you open the door. I am curious if they made the Grand Prix Whites together since there are so few.

Congrats!

Great looking NSX Chris - glad you made it back! Am sure the squeak will be a easy fix. If you're needing to attach a batter tender to it, check out the search for Phoen$x thread on it - great set up where the chord comes out the front lower bumper - easy to install and slick setup. Recently did it to mine and works like a champ. Congrats again - beautiful ride! Jay

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Got him back this afternoon. Apparently the rubber gaskets on the shock mounts was the problem. 2 gaskets per shock. Parts are ordered. Alarm is also installed.

It is GP White on Onyx. Vin 00122. My friend already had the battery wired where all have to do is just plug the tender right up. I'm still going to check out the post where it comes out of the bumper. That sounds very cool.

I doubt I'm going to take him out again this year if they sand the roads tomorrow. Sucks, because I'm really enjoying this car. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Damn, nice NSX you found! White and last standard year of the coupe. Picked up a black 94 myself a few months ago. Also fed the battery tender cable through the bumper, works quite well.

Great car, enjoy it!

DUDE you got a 14,000 mile 94 Grand Prix White NSX with OEM gunmetal wheels?? :eek: That is up there for find of the year. Congrats on getting an amazing NSX. All you need to do is drop the springs to the lower perch and you are set. Make sure to have all the maintenence done at the proper time and just drive this car. Wow. Please don't mod it up!

nice buy! All your questions can be answered by studying prime.

DUDE you got a 14,000 mile 94 Grand Prix White NSX with OEM gunmetal wheels?? :eek: That is up there for find of the year. Congrats on getting an amazing NSX. All you need to do is drop the springs to the lower perch and you are set. Make sure to have all the maintenence done at the proper time and just drive this car. Wow. Please don't mod it up!

Lol! I am not going to mod the car too much, but I am going to eventually change the wheels and put exhaust on. I promise that all original parts will be kept and that I won't do anything too overboard. Really appreciate the compliments and am thrilled to have the car and be a part of the community. Merry Christmas everybody!

-Chris

a 1994 GPW!!!!!! with 14,000 miles??? - I feel so sorry for the dude that sold this gem, I don't know whether to cheer for you, or cry for him?!

P.S. clean your garage and get those ladders away from the car man, you don't need a scratch on this thing.

Last edited:
a 1994 GPW!!!!!! with 14,000 miles??? - I feel so sorry for the dude that sold this gem, I don't know whether to cheer for you, or cry for him?!

P.S. clean your garage and get those ladders away from the car man, you don't need a scratch on this thing.

Thanks for the compliments. I can assure you that my friend definitely isn't hurting for money. He is, "downsizing" his inventory to 25 cars. Currently he has just over 30. He just never drives it and figured it would be one to get off the books. However, he asked for first right of refusal if I sell it later. That's the first car he's ever asked me to do that with.

I wouldn't worry about those ladders. The hangers they are hung on are in studs. They can pretty much take half the weight of the car.

I actually drove it today, but only to drop it off to have the clear bra trimmed and the window tint stripped and re-tinted. It was still a great drive. It hasn't been out since early last month. Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get a little input on this car. One of my best friends is probably selling his 1994 NSX. I always told him that if he sold it I wanted first right of refusal. So yesterday I got the call. Ironically, I was about to pull the trigger on a new M6. I know those two cars couldn't be farther apart as far a technology and power, but the NSX is probably the only car that I have always wanted and never actually owned. Per my wife, I'm only allowed to have one fun car. My daily is a 2013 550Xi, so I definitely want something that is fun to drive and enjoyable to look at. The 550 is extremely powerful and looks good, but it's a complete bore to drive.
A little about the NSX I'm looking at. It's a 1994. It has 14,000 miles on it. 2 owner car. All services are up to date, including timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed less than 2 years ago. New Bilstein struts were also installed at that time, because my friend said even though it sat all the time, he thought they should be replaced by time. He over-maintains everything he owns just like me.
Here is what I want to know about the 94's. Do they have any known issues like I've read some people say the earlier 91 and 92's had. I swear I read something about the casting of the engine or something like that could be a problem. I'm not sure what I read that was negative, but I know I saw something to the effect of if your engine has this problem say goodbye to the motor. I can't imagine putting too many miles a year on this car, anymore than I do any fun car I've owned, so I don't want to open a can of worms with a car when I don't know what I'm getting myself into.
I do wish the car was a 3.2 with the 6-speed, but my friend bought this one because he didn't want power steering, so I'll have to deal with what it is. It's still a beautiful and historic car as far as I'm concerned.
Here's what I am planning to do if I get it, and I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but the little bit of searching I've done has probably confused me more than anything. I want to make sure any mods I do to the car can easily and safely be taken back off the car, since it's completely stock right now. One of the first things I'd like to do is lower the car. It looks like it's riding on a rancho kit. I thought about just trying to find some Comptech springs, but they have already proven to be difficult to find since the company is out of business. I read some people write that you can just lower the spring perch, but then right under that post someone else wrote the car rides awful when you do that, because there's not enough suspension travel. Anyway, input on this would be nice. I also plan on putting an exhaust on the car. Again, Comptech probably would have been my first choice, since it's not too loud. The one other thing I would like to do is put some kind of Aux adapter in. I haven't checked, but I would assume Dice makes something for the NSX. I was thinking about putting a different stereo in the car, but then I realized that would take a lot of modifications and I really don't want to do too much to it to take it away from its stock condition.
Sorry for all of the questions, but I figure if I'm going to buy an almost 20 year old car I better do some research first. Thanks guys!

-Chris

Chris
I own a 91 that I've had since new
You'll have to do a bit of age related maintenance on the 94 but it will be minor.

Buy it and please put another 50 k miles on it asap.
It needs to be driven!!! :)

Jim

I may be the only skeptic and hope it is legit. But first why would the timing belt be replaced with only 14,000 on the car. And secondly can you tell if its ever been repainted? Also its not all that hard to turn back the speedo on the NSX. Do you have documented history and mileage when it was serviced? But I'm sure its a solid buy. Congrats.

Fast or not, its just another BMW when distilled. They can soup it up and dress it up but it's just a sum of its parts. The NSX is transcendent. When distilled, its an aluminum body exotic built in its own factory from bespoke parts and assembled by hand. A car who's X factor defines it and that changed the world of super cars forever. It's not just this forum that thinks so, there are plenty of comparison threads vs other great cars, on this forum and others! Anyways, you'll see soon enough ;)

Well Said!!! :)

im jelly, nice pickup

Because Acura recommends replacement every 90K miles or six years, whichever comes first.
I'm surprised that people still ask this question. The NSX timing belt is comprised of rubber, which dries out over time. My original spare tire is also comprised of rubber, and it has cracks all over the place. Imagine a component like that in your engine, and knowing that the NSX has an expensive interference engine, why would anyone risk it?

I may be the only skeptic and hope it is legit. But first why would the timing belt be replaced with only 14,000 on the car. And secondly can you tell if its ever been repainted? Also its not all that hard to turn back the speedo on the NSX. Do you have documented history and mileage when it was serviced? But I'm sure its a solid buy. Congrats.

Since the part about the timing belt has been answered, I can answer the rest. The car is a documented 2-owner car that I purchased from one of my best friends. He has owned the car since 1999. Since he also owns over 30 other vehicles, to include a Jaguar XJ220, two Lamborghinis, a handful of Ferraris, and many other vehicles (even a Foose Coupe), I don't think he would roll the odometer on me. Also, he specifically sought out a coupe with no power steering. That would be in keeping with the 1994, as it was the last year of that car. Really wish he had done more homework and he would have realized there was a Zanardi edition. He didn't and I probably wouldn't have paid the premium of one anyway. Other ways to tell if the car has more miles than stated are just too easy. I've been in the car business since I was in college. I've seen plenty of TMU's, but that mostly happens when the car trying to be sold already has a ton of mileage on it and you can't really tell the difference between 75k and 100k. At 14k, you can tell if it has substantially more mileage. To answer your question about paint, yes there are methods to look for even without a paint guage for aluminum. The easiest way is to look for fender bolts being turned. Since the car was all original when I purchased it, there would be no logical reason for the fender bolts to be turned.
I hope this answers your questions. I've owned the car since December of last year now and haven't even put 100 miles on it. Colorado just doesn't want to let winter go. However, the car is what I expected it to be and I really do love it. Thanks!

-Chris

I've seen plenty of TMU's, but that mostly happens when the car trying to be sold already has a ton of mileage on it and you can't really tell the difference between 75k and 100k.
In case I'm not the only one who wasn't familiar with this TLA (three-letter acronym :) ) and had to look it up...

TMU = True Mileage Unknown

Last edited:
Ok I learned something then. Never heard that before. I'm glad my Accord V6 Navi is good until 140,000 Kilometres.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the part about the timing belt has been answered, I can answer the rest. The car is a documented 2-owner car that I purchased from one of my best friends. He has owned the car since 1999. Since he also owns over 30 other vehicles, to include a Jaguar XJ220, two Lamborghinis, a handful of Ferraris, and many other vehicles (even a Foose Coupe), I don't think he would roll the odometer on me. Also, he specifically sought out a coupe with no power steering. That would be in keeping with the 1994, as it was the last year of that car. Really wish he had done more homework and he would have realized there was a Zanardi edition. He didn't and I probably wouldn't have paid the premium of one anyway. Other ways to tell if the car has more miles than stated are just too easy. I've been in the car business since I was in college. I've seen plenty of TMU's, but that mostly happens when the car trying to be sold already has a ton of mileage on it and you can't really tell the difference between 75k and 100k. At 14k, you can tell if it has substantially more mileage. To answer your question about paint, yes there are methods to look for even without a paint guage for aluminum. The easiest way is to look for fender bolts being turned. Since the car was all original when I purchased it, there would be no logical reason for the fender bolts to be turned.
I hope this answers your questions. I've owned the car since December of last year now and haven't even put 100 miles on it. Colorado just doesn't want to let winter go. However, the car is what I expected it to be and I really do love it. Thanks!

-Chris

Thanks for taking the time to update. Like I said I'm sure its legit, its just that in the cars I have bought or looked at there is always some unknown problems or secrets that you find out the hard way. If my response gives any buyer thought for a second look or deeper digging into a car they might buy then that would make me happy. You are very lucky to come across a great deal. You will never lose money on that car. I had mine up for sale just recently, but decided to take it off the market when I found out that after having it all these years and had fun with it, it actually went up in value since I bought it. I had two interested buyers after it, but had to turn them both down in the end. I just couldn't part with it. Tell me what other cars out there that go up in value like that? Besides the old old Vettes of course. Had one of them too. Made money on it but could have made a lot more if I had kept it until now. Cheers and happy driving. :)

Last edited:
Back