• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2013 Detroit Auto Show

I like the overall design of the car... I think they did well with it. I'm excited for the awd aspect... as well as the "hybrid" regen or whatever it's going to be. That's good... all cars are heading this way anyhow.

I'm not as excited about the prospects of not being able to order one in a manual... I'm still not ready to give up the 3rd pedal! A good part of the reason I've had two NSX's in the first place... and the reason I'm on my 2nd 997 Turbo and not my 2nd GTR. Maybe in two years will I be ready to give it up... I'm open minded.... but could be a deal breaker.

Now, here's the issue... what's going to be special enough about this car to keep me from buying a 991 Turbo instead? I'm going to have to guess price, but then there's a certain point where price doesn't factor in as much. If this thing is north of $100k.... well, there's all sorts of competition up there. If it's priced around the new Vette, then I can see it being an ultra attractive alternative. What about the next gen GTR (assuming there is one)... ? Will this NSX be able to at least compete with it #'s wise? Maybe they'll say that people don't cross shop all these cars, but as one who does, there's are things to consider. I really enjoy the back seats of my 997 right now... as of now there are two child car seats back there. Ultra handy. I'm willing to buy a 2nd vehicle if this car is badass enough to replace that however and obviously my kids won't fit back there forever.

If they offer this car in some sort of spyder/targa variant, it may be enough to push me over the top.. for now this car is just on my "radar" and not my wish list. A "poor mans" McLaren is something I'd be into. So Honda, can I order it in Imola Orange? :)

its going to be a purpose built sports car. who cares about golf bags fitting in it. take your other car if you want to go golfing. multiple people have said this same thing....its just odd.

And golf clubs fit in every car in the passenger seat.

I don't think useful storage is an odd request. Such in the original NSX is the only way I was able to take my dad with me to two-day track event 440 miles (6 hours) away. This is the only way I can go golfing with a buddy and carpool. The only way I can use the car for a weekend away with my wife. I could go on, but you get the point.

Hopefully the new engine/tranny/exhaust is compact enough that they can fit useful storage in there under the hatch. I say "the hatch" because with the rear design I don't think separate trunk/engine hatches would work. If we're going to see storage back there it may be under the engine hatch (which would have seals for more than one compartment) - though on both concepts it is certainly not wide enough for golf bags...so that may be lost (like with bikes, we'll need external racks). Doesn't mean storage should not be a consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

A "poor mans" McLaren is something I'd be into.
This! Plus Honda reliability, ergonomics, etc.

Hi Perry, you and I read from the same. I didn't want to make it too obvious and risk killing the goose who has been giving us the golden egg of information.

LOL understood. At this point though as the NSX goes I haven't seen anything he told us about confirmed so just have to wait and see. It would be a true about face for Honda to go turbo but then again them even making another NSX is an about face. It's either going to be about performance or ECO and Ito is always banging the green drum.

They need to get rid of that SH-AWD and all other emblems. It's tacky on a car like this.

I can't imagine Honda put badges all over, like the SH-AWD, ATEH (AWESOME TRI ELECTRIC HYBRID), SUPER MART iVTEC, etc.

Just keep the A badge and left the rest of the car alone.

They have an obsession with the word SUPER.

I will be at the Detroit Auto Show today taking pictures of the new NSX. If anybody else happens to be there you should send me a pm and we can get together around the NSX booth.

I went to the Auto Show on press day, and was very impressed with the show this year.

The Acura NSX concept is just stunning. It looks WAAAAY better than it did when it debuted last year. I did a review on this car, showcasing the huge improvement this car has made in the past year.

Chris

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipeRiRLFH3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris, I may simply piggyback your review, but yes, this car MUST be seen in person to be appreciated. I must say that I love the current NSX just a little less after seeing what might be. But the appearance might change and has nothing to do with performance.

Gentlemen, if you don't like what you see, I urge you to see it in person. Unfortunately, the rest of Acura's offerings were abysmal. It seems hard to be proud of Honda these days.

+1. this car has to be seen in person.

?.......... but yes, this car MUST be seen in person to be appreciated. I must say that I love the current NSX just a little less after seeing what might be. But the appearance might change and has nothing to do with performance.

Gentlemen, if you don't like what you see, I urge you to see it in person. .

No argument there. Pictures/videos definitely don't do it justice. But I was amazed at how much better it looked this year than last.

Chris

ssJzGav.jpg

I just wonder if I can drive the NSX 2.0 20 years later and be as (relatively...) up to date as I am now in a 92 NSX.

I was wondering about the battery replacement when the car reaches certain age; however, I think we are at the edge (the highest possible level) of supercar and there is really no more room to improve on for brands like Honda simply due to price point. Just look at Nissan, they can propel a 3700lb car to 60 in less than 60 seconds, I can't see how they can achieve any significantly better, also we don't know what's in the pipeline from our beloved law makers. Therefore, if this new NSX can do 0-60 at 3 seconds, and reaches 190mph, while stay as one of the cleanest car in the world, I think this may very well be the last supercar Honda makes; perhaps a typical 0.2 liter increase during mid model year change. After that, you really need a massive turbo, or a much bigger engine to pass 200mph. And for somehow, FI is just not Honda's thing.

the car is looking waay better, it looks sharper everywhere, i am still not too sure about the rear end personally.
but the badges have got to go, one of the nice little touches our cars have is they dont have huckery big badges all over them the only place you have NSX is on the door handle it doesnt even say Honda just an 'H' or a funny looking 'A' up north of here.

I think all the badges on today's cars are stick-on, no?
3M adhesive remover should do the trick
Can glue them back on (or not) when it's time to sell?

This car now looks waaaaaaaay better than any R8. Usually concepts get worse as they head towards street trim. This has gotten better. I really like it.

This car now looks waaaaaaaay better than any R8. Usually concepts get worse as they head towards street trim. This has gotten better. I really like it.

Maybe your eyes are fooling you:biggrin:. Honestly, it does not change veeery much since the 1st debut. They need to something about the butt, I still don't like the butt since I am the butt man. LOL

With the emphasizing of the flying buttress in this latest concept, I can see it becoming a real styling statement for the NSX - something which differentiates it form other exotics.

As for the butt, it just needs some more finessing, maybe a bit more surfacing in the upper half, and less depth to the openings in the lower half? But regardless of that, in the pictures above by "seize" it already is a genuine "home run".

Yeah, let's try an Advan RS or Adv.1 10 SL.

Yeah, let's try an Advan RS or Adv.1 10 SL.

I like the look of the wheels on last year's concept...but can see how they might be too heavy. I get what they're doing with the aerodynamic wheels on this year's concept. Once they are refined like the rest of the car has been they may end up looking good and be a better fit than anything else.

Was at the show over the weekend and badgered the senior presenters and they admitted that they weren't getting any details on the powertrain. However, the formal pitch said the car would be available within "two short years", so I later asked what "two short years" meant. The answer was that it will be hitting showrooms late 2014 as a 2015... which means that by NSXPO in Ohio next year, things should be pre-production or early production .. and it's pretty normal for new models with fall launches to be shown at NAIAS in January of that year so my guess is that next year we'll essentially see the production version minus a few last minute tweaks.

Regarding the Detroit news article about the concept this year having a powertrain .. I spent quite a bit of time staring under the car and could see no evidence of any suspension or drivetrain. Even the backs of the wheel openings (behind the tires) just looked like a flat piece of carbon fiber-like material. One thing I did notice as I was staring into the wheelwells was that there was a small piece of silver colored metal in the front left wheelwell near the rear of the tire that had NSX0002 stamped/engraved on it and seemed to be riveted to the bottom of the wheel opening. Normally it wouldn't even be that visible but the overhead lighting was so intense that I could have taken a picture of it.

Back