• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 mdx

seems like the new 17 pilots are now cannibalizing mdx sales...my large dealer can't keep pilots on the lot while he had 10 16 mdx available....acura must know this since they are offering some low money factor leases and 1.9% financing..plus they will wiggle on the sale price...we just picked up a tech package.

I like the new pilots. They are larger than the mdx. I have a 2010 mdx and the 2014 and up models are like minivans. They are low to the ground and boring. I like the generation prior to the 2014 far better. The pilot has more space and better looks outside, but the mdx I am sure is far better inside. The mdx is also priced much higher than a pilot.

the acura has less nvh than the pilot...but the space is nice....my wife likes the cozier feel of the mdx and the drivers seat feels better to her.To me though the pilot provides a good value.

I love my mdx. I like pilots too though. I can fit more dogs into the pilot if I had 1.

I have a 09 Pilot. I love it, it's a work horse. It can halt many kids and/or adults. I've moved fridge, washer and dryer and 3 single mattress at the same time. I've gone camping with 7 people and halt all the gears and food. I won't say it's a great car but you can't beat the value this SUV offers. I hated the look, it's like a boxy Jeep. For what I paid, I got my money worth.

As to the new Pilot, it copies the Benz layout but it does have a lot of new tech stuff in the car. I did hear many compliant on the steering feel. I haven't driven one but when I need to upgrade mine, I probably will end up with anther Pilot.

Now that you say the new MDX is not selling due to the Pilot. It just might be time to steal one cheap. I love the MDX but I miss the 8 passengers capability of the Pilot.

well we did lease it.....ahh the new car smell....but the steering wheel vibrating is a bit much...

Wheel vibration on a new car?

Lane departure I expect.
You mean like the Chevy Suburban I almost bought which vibrates the seat as you drift from a lane?

yes, I'd rather my booty shake than the steering wheel.

I hope you have better luck with your MDX than we have.

Our 2014 SH-AWD we bought new has had all kinds of issues. Look on the MDX forums - This vehicle is the reason why I will not be an early adopter of the new NSX. Supplier quality sucks, electronics are glitchy, etc. Luxury and build quality is OK for the price, but the nice design is let down by component quality in my opinion. I expect the electronic suppliers would be the same for the NSX and other Acura models unfortunately.

I was glad we got the old six speed compared to the new 9-speeds that seem to have a lot of issues, but now even it has developed a problem. I need to make an appointment as the drivetrain seems like the torque convertor is constantly locked up. It doesn't have the pep around town, and doesn't roll forward or backward when you put it in gear like it used to. Ugh... Good thing our local Acura dealer is nice.

Dave

Only thing I can say so far, in auto mode the new mdx is underwhelming in its acceleration...the last rdx I drove was much more peppy.

seems like the new 17 pilots are now cannibalizing mdx sales...my large dealer can't keep pilots on the lot while he had 10 16 mdx available....acura must know this since they are offering some low money factor leases and 1.9% financing..plus they will wiggle on the sale price...we just picked up a tech package.

Keep in mind the MDX came out 2 MY's before the Pilot so the Pilot is "hotter" at the moment. MDX sales have been excellent over the past few years and into 2016.

We replaced our 08 MDX with a 15 and love it. The interior is much nicer as is the ride. The exterior styling is a bit bla and the previous gen might have it beat there. However, it is a SUV so looks are low on the list. Great vehicle and we are very pleased.

Last edited:
Good to hear...the handling is far superior to the 06 mdx we had.Just all the intrusive electronic nannies of the new car make me have to disable everything.

With 30k miles on our MDX's DI engine, we now have severe engine knock while cruising down the highway.

I didn't notice it until this summer when we just took a trip with the A/C on and mildly loaded with people and stuff. It's so bad I have to manually downshift it a gear.

We've always used top tier 91+ octane fuel in it. Our dealer drove it, confirmed it, called Honda in CA, and said there was nothing they could do for it. Just keep using a good brand of premium fuel.

BS. At least Toyota gets DI engines right by combining port and direct injection.

Why have a quiet ride when it's pinging away all the time?

Honda still hasn't been able to replicate the transmission hesitation when shifting out of park. About 5% of the time the car doesn't want to move until you rev it up to about 2000 RPMs.

We're dumping this POS in the Fall.

what year?

The first model year for the 3rd gen's... 2014.

It's the reason why we will not be an early adopter of the new NSX... and I would like to wait for the targa version.

Don't know about others but we leased....even with the upfront payment buying the car at lease end would end up being like purchasing with financing of 1.5%

The Pilot's interior is not on the same level of refinement as the MDX's. That said, my 2014 MDX had transmission issues starting around 40K miles. Reluctantly, the NNW Fort Worth dealership replaced the torque converter under warranty. I had to get Acura Client Relations involved and the whole experience was unpleasant. Honda/Acura know their TCs are known for high failure rates and trashes the tranny if not replaced in a timely manner. The MDX now drives like new. Unfortunately, that dealership is why I will unlikely buy another Acura. Pilot possibly in the future.

I've moved fridge, washer and dryer and 3 single mattress at the same time.

Wow, did you take a photograph? I'm picturing:

car.jpg

There's a new TSB released earlier this month that supposedly covers the torque converter problem.

Apparently it is due to breakdown of the transmission fluid under very high temps. Instead of replacing the TC, Acura now just replaces the fluid and will come out with revised transmission computer programming to keep the fluid temp down.

My problem with the transmission is that ~ every 5 starts, the transmission won't engage into drive or reverse. My dealer has been helpful, but as expected, it never does it for them. Earlier this week I paid $200 out of pocket to just go ahead and flush the tranny with 25k miles on our '14 we bought new. I have to admit it has made the transmission shift like new. We have the 5k tow package and I've used it to tow my NSX around in the past.

I guess in the future I'll just do a tranny drain and 3qt fill every other engine oil change to keep it fresh.

Now all Acura has to do is solve our DI engine pinging problems. There is a noticeable drop in performance as well as spark knock.

Honda reliability? Sucks. They should have this stuff worked out before releasing cars, but American Honda is just like any other car manufacturer apparently.

Last edited:
Back