• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.5 years in a garage. Fuel?

Do you guys think the fuel gummed up? How about the oil? It's been sitting pending repair since I wrecked the front end almost 4 years ago. I kept the fuel in there because I heard its better then air which contains moisture which equals rust in fuel lines. I wanna keep cost down & hope I don't have to remove fuel tank & flush :confused:

from what I have read on prime unless you put a fuel stabilizer in the tank you will have to flush that whole fuel system after sitting for 4 years.Plus there are some other things you need to do..as the valve train and pistons may need some lube before being run.

I agree. Just read some articles about fuel storage, that sucks... But for oil, I heard I can just drop a dash in the spark plug hole, turn it over manually to get some lube in there, maybe even coat the cams with fresh coat, then fire her up, but yeah the fuel flush sounds like a procedure I'd like to understand & get done. Will pop the cover open or see if the fuel will drain first, if it's liquified or gummed. Cross my figures for the earlier.

I agree. Just read some articles about fuel storage, that sucks... But for oil, I heard I can just drop a dash in the spark plug hole, turn it over manually to get some lube in there, maybe even coat the cams with fresh coat, then fire her up, but yeah the fuel flush sounds like a procedure I'd like to understand & get done. Will pop the cover open or see if the fuel will drain first, if it's liquified or gummed. Cross my figures for the earlier.

I've got my parts car in similar situation mine has been sitting for almost 4yrs I've got 3/4 of a tank of stale fuel I have no plans of trying to run it on that gas. I will have to pull the motor anyway to swap into another chassis so I'm gonna drop it out and do a once over on it, replace all fluids and re-do the timing belt and check all the seals, maybe even do the harmonic balancer too while she out.

Be interesting to see what oil is left coating if anything once I pull the valve covers off. I was doing all my oil changes using OEM filter & Mobile1 Synthetic. I wish you luck on your endeavour, are you re-building the car?

Would be very unwise to try to run the motor with the old oil or fuel. Gasoline begins to degrade after 6 months without stabilizer. 4 years isn't even in the ball park. I'd replace the brake and clutch fluid as well but those do not chemically change into junk in 4 years like gasoline does.

If there is rust in the lines, then there is rust in the lines. Draining the tank will not help with that.

In theory, keeping the gas tank full during a long period of storage is better than- let's say a half tank, as there is less room for air to condensate into water. The fact is, you can't get away from air over time, condensation and ultimately phase separation, especially with the e10 fuels. Chances are very very hight that the last time you filled up before storage it was with e10 (or higher).

I've never experienced this with a car, but !#&*#@! have had enough problems with boats and this e10 crap to know that you should not even think about running that crap through the NSX.

My suggestion would be to:

1) Drain the oil. Pour some oil in each cylinder and manually turn the engine over a few times (or just pull the plug wires and give it a few quick blips from the starter).

2) Pump the fuel tank out as best as you can. Put about 1/4 of a tank of high test and Star Tron along with Sea Foam...run a recirculating pump from the fuel filter output to the top of the tank. Jostle it around a bit. Rinse and repeat.

Nevermind man, just take it to a good shop. I get all wrapped up what I would do, but when it comes down to it, I almost always wish I would have just taken it to a shop and watched them do it.

Did I mention that I hate outboard motors? Every one I've ever owned has been just hopin' wishin' prayin' cussin' punchin' towin' cussin' punchin' cryin' and drinkin'.

Replace gas and oil.

+1 The fuel has likely started to smell like varnish (clue.. give it a whiff)

If you have a shop nearby that you trust with the car, take her there and have it done correctly... junk in = junk out in this case

Back