• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z Vs NSX

The problem is this: The 350Z isn't in the same class as the NSX...but today we have nothing else to really compare the NSX to. There are no more supercars from Japan.. They've all been replaced by things like the Evo, Sti, 350Z, Rx-8, etc.
It's only natural to compare cars that are hot right now...the 350Z is hot, but lets face it, it is no 300Z TT...but then again, it doesn't cost $40k either. I would imagine a modern day 2006 300Z TT variant would be tipping $50k at the showroom.....and not enough people are willing to pay that right now.

Hopefully we'll see some sort of revival....we'll see that the Gt-R does for Honda and Toyota...maybe we'll finally get our new NSX and/or Supra.

Me, I sold my 2003 350Z for a 1991 NSX....why? Why not...just couldn't think of a good reason not to.

Oh, and Ford just announced that it's ending production of the Ford GT. They're saying it's planned...but again, it's tough to sell supercars and make $$.

Last edited:
Z is sweet..... but there is something wrong with this area.... looks funky. the roof looks messed up. I love the car, but that's the only thing i really don't like. Personally, i'd buy a G35 over the Z anyday. same car, same price, a lot better looking.

Attachments

• image_133153.jpg
    image_133153.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 186
Sorry to dig up an old thread and all...but I thought having some quantifiable data may be in order. Seems the 350 and 370's are better track cars than the NSX. I personally own a NISMO 350Z and I must say the car is a hoot to drive and very responsive. Anyhow, check out this link as it has a lap time for the cars in question. Obviously, different tracks may yield different results.
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track15.html
Just my .02

Sorry to dig up an old thread and all...but I thought having some quantifiable data may be in order. Seems the 350 and 370's are better track cars than the NSX. I personally own a NISMO 350Z and I must say the car is a hoot to drive and very responsive. Anyhow, check out this link as it has a lap time for the cars in question. Obviously, different tracks may yield different results.
Just my .02

Don't feed the trolls.

I do not see him as a troll at all but was just trying to inform us. I was always wondering how the nsx does in well known tracks compared to others more modern cars since cars have come a long since the nsx debute. The Nismo Z definitely does post impressive times since on a track a DE powered 350Z laps around the same as a E46 M3 so I would expect the HR powered Z's to do even better. However looking at the results, that nsx was a 91 nsx with the smaller tires. The NSX was always under tired from the factory, put some nice 235/275 combos and i'm sure the lap times will improve dramatically esp considering that your comparing cars with modern performance tires vs ancient tires that was designed back in the 80's which is over 20 years ago.

Just my .02

Thanks for the data.

The fact that a stock 1991 NSX 3.0 posted a lap time at Willow in 1991 a mere seven seconds slower than a 2008 NISMO 350Z is actually a testament to how fast the 1991 NSX was and is.

I would be more concerned that your NISMO was only 0.14 seconds faster than an Acura TL Type-S Sedan, but I don't care about arguing about lap times on the internet.

But since you are interested in making a point about your NISMO versus a 1991 NSX, consider the tires:

Your NISMO comes with: 245/40R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires in front and 275/35R19 in rear.

The 1991 NSX came with: Yokohama A-022 tires in 205/50ZR15 in front and 225/50ZR16 in rear.

With only a few exceptions, the FD, C4 LT1 and Viper, the other cars on that list are much newer, and many are the factory motorsport version, closer to an NSX Type-R.

We all know an NSX Type-R will wipe the floor with your NISMO on any track.

Who cares?

Oh, and welcome to NSX Prime.

If you have a sincere interest, you will find this forum to be an invaluable asset. I think you will find it is better to enjoy the merits of many different cars. If you do not, you are unlikely to enjoy your experience here.

I do not see him as a troll at all but was just trying to inform us. I was always wondering how the nsx does in well known tracks compared to others more modern cars since cars have come a long since the nsx debute. The Nismo Z definitely does post impressive times since on a track a DE powered 350Z laps around the same as a E46 M3 so I would expect the HR powered Z's to do even better. However looking at the results, that nsx was a 91 nsx with the smaller tires. The NSX was always under tired from the factory, put some nice 235/275 combos and i'm sure the lap times will improve dramatically esp considering that your comparing cars with modern performance tires vs ancient tires that was designed back in the 80's which is over 20 years ago.

I agree...read my mind...

You all have a very good point about the tires and tire technology. OE tires are also are not Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R; but RE-50a here in the US. The NSX was and still is a very good sports car (way ahead of it's time). It looks like it may evolve and return in 2011. I absolutely love sports cars period - from practical to ludicrous and ridiculous. I do not see many NSX's here in Ohio - Z's either for that matter (winter really sucks). It is really hard to compare the NSX and a 350Z for many reasons - many of the previous posts regarding the Z were probably with the old DE engine which was lower revving and much less torquey than the newer HR engines the HR's red line at 7500 rpm . I feel both cars are very well poised and balanced; yet have very different feels (and yes, I have driven an NSX (never had the privelege of owning one yet.)). The NSX is definitely a little more delicate and precise vs the Z's can be precise; but they love to be hurled sideways into corners and man handled. One of the reasons I love my Z so much is that I fit rather well in it. I'm 6'1 and 250 lbs with large shoulders and it fits me like a glove - one of the few cars I have leg room in and don't have to recline the seat 60 degrees to drive. Anyhow, not looking to pick fights on lap times etc. just wanted to give a little more info on the Z - which is quicker than the old 300 tt btw. The interior of the car is really it's weakest link - it is very "ordinary" in comparison to many cars and definitely on the cheaper side of interiors; however $ for $ it is really hard to find something better that isn't used. I think overall the Z cars are cars that you either really love or really loathe, not much middle ground.

Last edited:
Thanks for the data.

The fact that a stock 1991 NSX 3.0 posted a lap time at Willow in 1991 a mere seven seconds slower than a 2008 NISMO 350Z is actually a testament to how fast the 1991 NSX was and is.

I would be more concerned that your NISMO was only 0.14 seconds faster than an Acura TL Type-S Sedan, but I don't care about arguing about lap times on the internet.

But since you are interested in making a point about your NISMO versus a 1991 NSX, consider the tires:

Your NISMO comes with: 245/40R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires in front and 275/35R19 in rear.

The 1991 NSX came with: Yokohama A-022 tires in 205/50ZR15 in front and 225/50ZR16 in rear.
+1

We were doing 1:32s on a 235/275-shod Naturally Aspirated NSX late last year.

Seems the 350 and 370's are better track cars than the NSX.

:biggrin: here we go, a 4 year old thread reopen .... dude, now we know you have a NISMO, Awesome!

Oscar

+1

I drove the 350Z to see what's all the hype.

Nissan's interior is right there with Mitsubishi. The very bottom.

NSX is the highest
Then MKIV
Then FD

I think that is really stretching to compare a nissan interior to a mitsubishi. I would definitely put it ahead of mitsubishi and subaru. I know the FD's interior may look nice but they are poorly fastened together with very thin plastics to save weight. Most FD's I've seen have at least one piece of the door that is broken, or the center console hanging off. I did hear that they made a big improvement in the interior for the 94 vs the 93's but I have yet to be in a 94.

Also Nissan has improved the interior the 350Z mid cycle, the 370's interior is esp nice, very very comparable to a infiniti's interior.

......I know the FD's interior may look nice but they are poorly fastened together with very thin plastics to save weight. Most FD's I've seen have at least one piece of the door that is broken, or the center console hanging off. I did hear that they made a big improvement in the interior for the 94 vs the 93's but I have yet to be in a 94.......

Maybe I take care of my cars better.

My FD with over 250k miles did not have a single piece broken off. I did have some very minor finish that was coming off from wear and tear. The only issue that I had with the interior was the Japanese Bonded leather. POS. Got hard, cracked and started to show it's age faster than the rest of the car.

Of course not many people Zaino their cars inside and out EVERY week for a daily driver.

Yes, the 94 FD fit and finish is better than the 93. U can see, feel and even hear the difference. It's also heavier. Let's just say it's tantamount to a 91/92 vs. 03+ interiors

HI HAVE A 2005 350Z convertable an a 94 nsx wen a drove my 350z hi dont catch to much attention but wen im on the road wit my N hi catch lots attention !! and the feeling is very different nsx is like you drive a racing car and make me feel so proud !! if hi have to sale one of my cars hi will sale the 350z !

SALUT FAITES wen le convertible 350Z d'A 2005 un nsx 94 a a conduit mon 350z salut n'attrapent pas à beaucoup d'attention mais wen im sur l'esprit de route mon attention de sorts de crochet de N salut ! ! et le sentiment est nsx très différent est comme vous commande une voiture d'emballage et rend me la sensation si fière ! ! si salut devez la vente une de mes voitures salut vente le 350z !

Of course, the 350 won't be as sexy as the NSX.

I driven an auto 350z and it felt fast.....lots of torque.

However the looks, fit, and finish of the interior/exterior did nothing for me.

The 370z look better but still doesnt compare to an NSX.

Adding BBK, SC, Suspension and proper tires to an NSX and it will pretty much be competitve with most cars now a days.

ediddy you make adding a SC, BBK and suspension seem like nothing, those are very costly mods with the combined value of those mods adding up to the cost of a whole car that is as quick as a nsx ( like a C5 vette )

Wow.. old thread... As a former 350z owner, there is no comparison. The NSX is a much better car in every aspect regardless of the power advantage of the Z.

I think it's the TQ advantage that you are thinking about.

Isn't the 350z rated at 280HP and the NSX is between 270-290hp?

So the difference is null.

Factor in weight differences and the NSX has the upper hand.

The 350z/370z are at least equally as fast as any NSX. In many tests, the Nissan is actually faster than NSX. The look-and-feel is at no level to compare to a NSX, but the 370Z is arguably(probably only argued on this forum by us NSX owners) the better car when it comes to performance. The reality is cruel, but NSX hasn't been considered as a very fast car for about 8 years now. Its "performance" is quiet laughable today when cars at less than half of it's price can beat it in 1/4 miles, autocross, and on tracks.

With proper modifications, NSX can keep up with most of the modern cars, under the hands of the professionals. It takes a lot of skills to keep it fast, and cash in the weight advantage and agility of the NSX. For the average street drivers and weekend track day warriors, we can easily be faster in a M3 or Corvette, due to the power.

It is what it is, and I accept that NSX is not a very fast car. I love it just the way it is, and I don't have to bash other cars to make it look good, because it already does in my book.

ediddy you make adding a SC, BBK and suspension seem like nothing, those are very costly mods with the combined value of those mods adding up to the cost of a whole car that is as quick as a nsx ( like a C5 vette )

They are also costly mods on any other car.....and also theres different levels of bbk and suspension. Only thing that is the most expensive out of the three is the sc compared to other cars prices for sc's.

Since the 350z, 370z comes with rotors that are close to like BBK size and theres a Brembo option you can buy that are bbks. Those are not cheap as well.....its all the same price. Even the coilovers are the same price or close for like JICs for the Z as NSX.

With the NSX you have way older specs.....so to make it fair, all I was stating is by adding modern specs ie...decent suspension, 17, 18 wheels with better tires, and BBK will make the car keep up with most modern cars on the track...of course adding sc will be unfair...but all that still doesnt equate to a C5 does it? Unless they are like 15k for one......suspension 1.8k-2.2k, bbk 2.5k-3k, sc lets just say 8k- 9k.

Comparing a 199xs NA1 to a 2003+ 350z, 370z is just a testament to how good the NSX is.

I have nothing against the Z's....I actually prefer the earlys 300zxtt which is what I grew up with. I just don't like some of the z owners out there that always have to rev or race me everytime I am cruising.....its like every wrx, evo, 350z, g35 always has to prove a point when they see an NSX for some reason.

Anyways carry on....I don't really care about the thread....I have the car I want.....

Back