• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

45 astonishing long exposure photos

Here's another one for you. :wink::wink::wink:

lightpaintingfinalLR.jpg

I should start shooting long exposures. Glad I bought my tripod! :biggrin: Now this is what I call "photography".

very cool! (got more?)

Yeah, Jordan (http://www.shirakiphoto.com) and I did a bunch of them, but we never really polished up the rest to post (read: lazy :tongue:). That one was the first one we shot right out of the camera with no post processing. On that shot it was a pitch black room and we used hand held LED lights to wash down the car and then for a couple of passes turned the LED lights towards the camera in wavy motions.

This next shot was also done in the pitch black, but instead we didn't turn the LED lights towards the camera. So we bascially washed down/bathed the car in light, which is how the car looks spotlit, but with no lights anywhere. It's also why the red exit sign is so intense in the background because it basically burned for the whole 30 seconds while the shutter was open.

frontquarterLR.jpg

Yeah, Jordan (http://www.shirakiphoto.com) and I did a bunch of them, but we never really polished up the rest to post (read: lazy :tongue:). That one was the first one we shot right out of the camera with no post processing. On that shot it was a pitch black room and we used hand held LED lights to wash down the car and then for a couple of passes turned the LED lights towards the camera in wavy motions.

This next shot was also done in the pitch black, but instead we didn't turn the LED lights towards the camera. So we bascially washed down/bathed the car in light, which is how the car looks spotlit, but with no lights anywhere. It's also why the red exit sign is so intense in the background because it basically burned for the whole 30 seconds while the shutter was open.

frontquarterLR.jpg
yeah, that's cool, too... thx!

They are not quite as long as the samples but here are a couple I did outside Notre Dame in Paris including a fire twirler:

349100962_PxyUj-XL.jpg

349101014_9qjky-XL.jpg

n1552456860_13622_5891.jpg

n1552456860_13627_6864.jpg

n1552456860_13632_7821.jpg

This is NOT lightning, it is what is known as St. Elmo's Fire. Static electricity builds up on the windshield on the plane as we fly in the vicinity of very large thunderstorms. I lucked out with this 4 sec exposure with the camera sitting on the dash. It turns the windshield into a giant "plasma ball" with these discharges every few seconds. It happens every once in a while when the conditions are right.

Last edited:
Do you need a professional-grade camera to do this or do basic digital cameras have a long exposure setting? Guess I should break out the owner's manual. :confused:

as always, very nice, bob! what time of year were they taken?

Thanks. I took these in August 2008 when we joined the European and Japanese NSXers for some time at LeMans and then took a side trip to Paris.

Here are two more taken at 1:00 am:

349100914_toS92-XL.jpg

349101068_fMVd8-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Do you need a professional-grade camera to do this or do basic digital cameras have a long exposure setting? Guess I should break out the owner's manual. :confused:

A typical point and shoot isn't going to allow for 20 second shutter, but even the most entry level SLR cameras will.

Back