• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 - 94 NSX vs ND2 MX-5

CoG

Registered Member
The NSX is an attainable dream car of mine. I recently saved up enough to buy it. However, while I was saving up, I test drove an ND2 MX-5 with the recaro seats. Now I've never driven an NSX, but the MX-5 blew my mind. It was so unlike any sports car I've driven. I felt so connected and organically entwined with it. It was a Jinba Ittai treat. This test drive happened right after I test drove a C7 Z51 7-SPD. I didn't have the top down in the ND2.

Like the NSX, the ND2 MX-5 prioritizes driving pleasure over all out performance. Both have hard core racing versions and wonderful aftermarket upgrades. Both have easy to rev engines and the best inputs (shifter, pedals, and steering). Both are reliable, but the ND2 probably moreso. The NSX is hands down superior in the exotic looks department. The MX-5 is hands down better in the no worries, drive everywhere, park anywhere department.

So it comes down to which one feels more fulfilling as a driver's car and whether it is more important to have looks vs carefree fun. Since I've never driven or owned an NSX, please enlighten me with your perspectives. Thank you.

The NSX is an attainable dream car of mine. I recently saved up enough to buy it. However, while I was saving up, I test drove an ND2 MX-5 with the recaro seats. Now I've never driven an NSX, but the MX-5 blew my mind. It was so unlike any sports car I've driven. I felt so connected and organically entwined with it. It was a Jinba Ittai treat. This test drive happened right after I test drove a C7 Z51 7-SPD. I didn't have the top down in the ND2.

Like the NSX, the ND2 MX-5 prioritizes driving pleasure over all out performance. Both have hard core racing versions and wonderful aftermarket upgrades. Both have easy to rev engines and the best inputs (shifter, pedals, and steering). Both are reliable, but the ND2 probably moreso. The NSX is hands down superior in the exotic looks department. The MX-5 is hands down better in the no worries, drive everywhere, park anywhere department.

So it comes down to which one feels more fulfilling as a driver's car and whether it is more important to have looks vs carefree fun. Since I've never driven or owned an NSX, please enlighten me with your perspectives. Thank you.

Welcome to Prime! I moved your thread here since it fit better with the forum topics, as you are a prospective new owner who is looking at his choices. I think you've hit on some really good points and are on the right track in your search. Here are my brief thoughts, having driven both cars.

• If the ND2 blew your mind, then you're in for a treat with the NA1 coupes. The NSX will feel even more driver-connected than the Mazda both due to design and age (the NSX is far more analog and raw).
  • The NSX will feel much quicker both due to the driving position and the significant amount of torque available from the V6 compared to the 4-cylinder in the Mazda. If anything, the ND2 is probably more comparable to the AP2 S2000 than the NSX in terms of pure performance.
  • The NSX steering will feel heavy and not as responsive as the Mazda. This is due to the longer steering ratio used on the NSX- it was marketed as a GT cruising car for the European elite.
  • You will get a lot more looks/attention with the NSX.
  • The NSX gear shifter is simply the best ever. Nothing compares to the feel.
  • The 91-94 NSX is now squarely a classic sports car. That means no matter which one you buy, it will need some freshening to deliver the full NSX experience. Those cars are now almost 30 years old, so the "Honda reliability" factor only goes so far under those circumstances. So, take the "full maintenance with records" listing with a grain of salt- there's a lot of stuff on the NSX that breaks/wears out that is not covered by scheduled maintenance. NSX parts aren't cheap.
  • Kind of the same way, the Mazda is a new car and you get all of the cool things that come with a new car: tech, warranty, fit/finish, etc.
  • The NSX looks better- obviously very subjective here.

I'm a huge fan of the MX-5 in all its forms, but obviously I am biased in favor of the NSX. You really should try and drive one before deciding. I am sure we could find a local member who can help you.

I've owned my 1992 NSX for 10 years and bought a 2019 Miata just under a year ago. Both cars are amazing. I think how you should compare them depends a lot on how you'll use the car.

If you plan to track the car a lot, daily drive it, put around town, etc. the Miata is likely the better pick. If this is strictly weekends or once in awhile, the NSX could be the better choice. For me daily driving the NSX became too nerve wracking. The reliability concerns, sourcing parts and, most important in my experience, finding someone who knows what they are doing to work on it all made me less willing to daily it. I track both cars but the Miata is much cheaper in terms of consumables and aftermarket parts. It will teach you to carry momentum, it handles very well, tends towards oversteer a bit and is so darty. Tons of fun. I put KW Clubsport coilovers on mine along with Progress swaybars and it's great. A large part of my motivation to get a Miata was to 1. relive the 94 Miata I used to own and 2. become a better driver by not relying on power to get me around the track.

The NSX is more of a slow burn, it takes time and patience to get better at driving it fast on track. Your friends in front engine cars will wonder why you aren't pushing it as hard as they do and the reason is it handles differently than their cars. IMO every track driven NSX should at least have the rear beam bushings replaced, and at this age likely many others. I changed a lot of suspension components on my NSX to get it where it is. If you track yours a lot, you'll likely need to do similar.

As far as acceleration goes, I don't find my Miata feels slow. It's 600-700 pounds lighter than the NSX. It also has a strong midrange. Looking at magazine tests, 0-60 times are 1/4 to 1/2 a second slower than the NSX. I am very happy I went with a ND2 instead of a ND1 since the ND1 really gave you no reason to wring out the motor. The ND2 has that top end that makes it worth it. If you are planning to go FI a ND1 might be a better choice. I'm staying NA so no concerns for me. I really love zipping around town as well as on track because of the amount of speed you can carry and how light and nimble it is.

I love dropping the top on the Miata as often as I can, which I can't do on my NSX. I didn't consider a NSX-T, I wanted the fixed roof. I really enjoy tracking with the top down as well even though I know it's not the fastest.

Looks are very subjective. To my eye the Miata looks like a 5/8th Aston Martin from some angles and I love the curves especially in Soul Red Crystal. The NSX, well you already know it's a beautiful car, so no need to go into details there. The Miata doesn't get nearly as many looks or comments as the NSX, as far as I can tell, but that's not why I bought either car.

Overall the Miata feels more "disposable" since there are plenty of them out there, parts are easy to find and cheap, etc. The NSX at it's current age feels a bit more of a labor of love, and my NSX has extracted a fair amount of labor and $ from me. I really like both cars for different reasons. For what it's worth, I'm currently trying to simplify my NSX to get more of the "jump in and drive" mentality my Miata has.

For the ultimate test, if my garage were on fire and I could only get one car out, which would it be? That's easy, my NSX. The Miata is easy to replace/replicate. My NSX is not.

Honcho and mochanges have given you a good comparison of the two cars. In 2011 when I purchased my 2000 NSX, I also looked at a new MX-5 which was in the same price range as what I paid for my used NSX. Appearances are subjective and probably had me prematurely tilted towards the NSX. What clinched it for me was 'fit'. I found the NSX easier to get in and out of (than the 2011 MX-5) and I much preferred the seating position of the NSX. As I recall I found the footwell on the MX-5 a squeeze. The view out the front glass on the NSX is unsurpassed. With the top up on the MX5 I found it claustrophobic. The MX-5 would absolutely have to be a top down car for me. All of the preceding are subjective.

The one statement that you made that stands out for me is
I recently saved up enough to buy it.
. If your financial situation is just at the point where you can enter the bottom of the NSX market, I wouldn't. If you enter at the bottom of the price range you should expect that you are going to incur a lot of refresh costs and NSX parts are expensive because you are typically going OEM (the aftermarket supply is shrinking for these cars). If you are not a competent mechanic on-going maintenance can be a challenge because it is getting difficult to find NSX qualified mechanics. If you can't afford to take some cash flow hits after you purchase the car the MX-5 being 25 years newer is going to be a much less risky choice.

Last edited:
mochanges said:
I've owned my 1992 NSX for 10 years and bought a 2019 Miata just under a year ago. Both cars are amazing. I think how you should compare them depends a lot on how you'll use the car.

If you plan to track the car a lot, daily drive it, put around town, etc. the Miata is likely the better pick. If this is strictly weekends or once in awhile, the NSX could be the better choice. For me daily driving the NSX became too nerve wracking. The reliability concerns, sourcing parts and, most important in my experience, finding someone who knows what they are doing to work on it all made me less willing to daily it. I track both cars but the Miata is much cheaper in terms of consumables and aftermarket parts. It will teach you to carry momentum, it handles very well, tends towards oversteer a bit and is so darty. Tons of fun. I put KW Clubsport coilovers on mine along with Progress swaybars and it's great. A large part of my motivation to get a Miata was to 1. relive the 94 Miata I used to own and 2. become a better driver by not relying on power to get me around the track.

The NSX is more of a slow burn, it takes time and patience to get better at driving it fast on track. Your friends in front engine cars will wonder why you aren't pushing it as hard as they do and the reason is it handles differently than their cars. IMO every track driven NSX should at least have the rear beam bushings replaced, and at this age likely many others. I changed a lot of suspension components on my NSX to get it where it is. If you track yours a lot, you'll likely need to do similar.

As far as acceleration goes, I don't find my Miata feels slow. It's 600-700 pounds lighter than the NSX. It also has a strong midrange. Looking at magazine tests, 0-60 times are 1/4 to 1/2 a second slower than the NSX. I am very happy I went with a ND2 instead of a ND1 since the ND1 really gave you no reason to wring out the motor. The ND2 has that top end that makes it worth it. If you are planning to go FI a ND1 might be a better choice. I'm staying NA so no concerns for me. I really love zipping around town as well as on track because of the amount of speed you can carry and how light and nimble it is.

I love dropping the top on the Miata as often as I can, which I can't do on my NSX. I didn't consider a NSX-T, I wanted the fixed roof. I really enjoy tracking with the top down as well even though I know it's not the fastest.

Looks are very subjective. To my eye the Miata looks like a 5/8th Aston Martin from some angles and I love the curves especially in Soul Red Crystal. The NSX, well you already know it's a beautiful car, so no need to go into details there. The Miata doesn't get nearly as many looks or comments as the NSX, as far as I can tell, but that's not why I bought either car.

Overall the Miata feels more "disposable" since there are plenty of them out there, parts are easy to find and cheap, etc. The NSX at it's current age feels a bit more of a labor of love, and my NSX has extracted a fair amount of labor and $ from me. I really like both cars for different reasons. For what it's worth, I'm currently trying to simplify my NSX to get more of the "jump in and drive" mentality my Miata has.

For the ultimate test, if my garage were on fire and I could only get one car out, which would it be? That's easy, my NSX. The Miata is easy to replace/replicate. My NSX is not.

Wow what a great summary! Thanks!

The one statement that you made that stands out for me is . If your financial situation is just at the point where you can enter the bottom of the NSX market, I wouldn't. If you enter at the bottom of the price range you should expect that you are going to incur a lot of refresh costs and NSX parts are expensive because you are typically going OEM (the aftermarket supply is shrinking for these cars). If you are not a competent mechanic on-going maintenance can be a challenge because it is getting difficult to find NSX qualified mechanics. If you can't afford to take some cash flow hits after you purchase the car the MX-5 being 25 years newer is going to be a much less risky choice.
Great point here. I've thought about this a lot lately, especially when friends see the rise in the NSX prices and ask me if they should buy one. Often times, after learning they'll be stretching their budget to buy a bottom bracket priced unit with the intent to drive it, I have to honestly recommend they look at other cars. It kills me to do so but it's reality. The collector market might have priced these cars out of the enthusiasts grasp. In a way it reminds me of the McLaren F1. Except for Jay Leno and a few... most of the owners tuck them away rarely to see daylight while prices skyrocket.

If you take good care of the NSX while driving it, the continual increase in value will highly subsidize the TCO if not break even.

The Miata will just decay in value for a long time, losing some 60% in the first 3-4 years.

Assuming near the same secondary costs between vehicles: fuel, insurance, and maintenance....the NSX is likely to be the winner just from a cost POV.

Welcome to Prime! I moved your thread here since it fit better with the forum topics, as you are a prospective new owner who is looking at his choices. I think you've hit on some really good points and are on the right track in your search. Here are my brief thoughts, having driven both cars.

• If the ND2 blew your mind, then you're in for a treat with the NA1 coupes. The NSX will feel even more driver-connected than the Mazda both due to design and age (the NSX is far more analog and raw).
  • The NSX will feel much quicker both due to the driving position and the significant amount of torque available from the V6 compared to the 4-cylinder in the Mazda. If anything, the ND2 is probably more comparable to the AP2 S2000 than the NSX in terms of pure performance.
  • The NSX steering will feel heavy and not as responsive as the Mazda. This is due to the longer steering ratio used on the NSX- it was marketed as a GT cruising car for the European elite.
  • You will get a lot more looks/attention with the NSX.
  • The NSX gear shifter is simply the best ever. Nothing compares to the feel.
  • The 91-94 NSX is now squarely a classic sports car. That means no matter which one you buy, it will need some freshening to deliver the full NSX experience. Those cars are now almost 30 years old, so the "Honda reliability" factor only goes so far under those circumstances. So, take the "full maintenance with records" listing with a grain of salt- there's a lot of stuff on the NSX that breaks/wears out that is not covered by scheduled maintenance. NSX parts aren't cheap.
  • Kind of the same way, the Mazda is a new car and you get all of the cool things that come with a new car: tech, warranty, fit/finish, etc.
  • The NSX looks better- obviously very subjective here.

I'm a huge fan of the MX-5 in all its forms, but obviously I am biased in favor of the NSX. You really should try and drive one before deciding. I am sure we could find a local member who can help you.
Thank you for the warm welcome! This is interesting info. I hadn't considered that the NSX would be more analog and yet less responsive, for example. It makes sense since the manual steering provides better steering feel, but has to have a longer ratio and sacrifice response. Also, how could the NSX cable-shifter feel better than a direct shifter like that in an MX-5 or S2000? Another important factor is throttle response, which I hear is not so good in the NSX due to long throttle travel and high effort. Honda decreased the wide open throttle pedal angle for the Type R, but I'm not sure if I could do the same mod (can I?). One last thing, how many miles did you put on your NSX this year?

This is beautiful, thank you. I feel like this describes how I would feel if I already had both cars. Now I have to pick one based on this insight and after I actually drive an NSX.

I track both cars but the Miata is much cheaper in terms of consumables and aftermarket parts. It will teach you to carry momentum, it handles very well, tends towards oversteer a bit and is so darty. Tons of fun. I put KW Clubsport coilovers on mine along with Progress swaybars and it's great. A large part of my motivation to get a Miata was to 1. relive the 94 Miata I used to own and 2. become a better driver by not relying on power to get me around the track.

Which car is more fun on track: ND2 with the top down or NSX?

Honcho and mochanges have given you a good comparison of the two cars. In 2011 when I purchased my 2000 NSX, I also looked at a new MX-5 which was in the same price range as what I paid for my used NSX. Appearances are subjective and probably had me prematurely tilted towards the NSX. What clinched it for me was 'fit'. I found the NSX easier to get in and out of (than the 2011 MX-5) and I much preferred the seating position of the NSX. As I recall I found the footwell on the MX-5 a squeeze. The view out the front glass on the NSX is unsurpassed. With the top up on the MX5 I found it claustrophobic. The MX-5 would absolutely have to be a top down car for me. All of the preceding are subjective.
They say the ND 2016+ is much better in terms of "fit." You should try a 2019+ with Recaro seats. Anyway, yes the visibility of an NSX is unsurpassed and gives it a huge advantage. However, a huge disadvantage is the cost of breaking stuff/parts availability.

The one statement that you made that stands out for me is . If your financial situation is just at the point where you can enter the bottom of the NSX market, I wouldn't. If you enter at the bottom of the price range you should expect that you are going to incur a lot of refresh costs and NSX parts are expensive because you are typically going OEM (the aftermarket supply is shrinking for these cars). If you are not a competent mechanic on-going maintenance can be a challenge because it is getting difficult to find NSX qualified mechanics. If you can't afford to take some cash flow hits after you purchase the car the MX-5 being 25 years newer is going to be a much less risky choice.

Thank you for this. I do have a daily driver, so I could let the car sit while I save up for needed repairs. Still, I think I'll postpone my search until the end of January so I have some extra cushion.

If you take good care of the NSX while driving it, the continual increase in value will highly subsidize the TCO if not break even.

The Miata will just decay in value for a long time, losing some 60% in the first 3-4 years.

Assuming near the same secondary costs between vehicles: fuel, insurance, and maintenance....the NSX is likely to be the winner just from a cost POV.
Thank you. However, I feel like this dominates a lot of people's thinking when buying a fun car. So the used market prices this in and the prices of the cars reflect it (I'm not buying a new MX-5). That's why I will focus on everything else to make a decision.

Lol I actually replied to everyone who posted in a chronological order, but those were some of my first posts and are pending approval. Please bear with the mods...

Honcho and Mochanges have done a fantastic job of pointing out differences and things to consider.

I would just add the following regarding an NSX. Yes parts are more difficult to find than an MX-5. So are good technicians. But if you are handy with tools, the NSX is actually pretty easy to wrench on. Also, with the internet and the readily accessible global community, it is much easier to find parts for older cars.

The 91-94 NSX does have some things you want to pay attention to when shopping for one with respect to maintenance. You are dealing with a 25-30 year old car. And some items that I would now consider "must do" maintenance items never had a time/mileage based replacement criteria from Honda. Crank Pulleys and Coolant Hoses come to mind. There is probably a very good chance neither of those parts have been replaced on a significant percentage of NSXs out there. On a 91-94, there are 22 coolant hoses (MT) or 24 coolant hoses (AT). The parts bill for a complete coolant hose swap out runs between $400-$600. Labor is the killer. Expect 10-15 hours for the quote. Depending on where you have the maintenance done, replacing all the coolant hoses will run you between $1500 and $2500. This maintenance action is best completed in conjunction with a Timing Belt/Water Pump service (6 years/90K miles) since the cooling system has to be drained for the TB/WP. The crank pulley runs about $350-$400 for a new OEM pulley. Again, another Timing Belt/Water Pump service related action since you have to pull the crank pulley off and reinstall for the Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement. So you can be walking into a $5,000-$6,000 "bill" on that first Timing Belt/Water Pump service. Something to consider when buying an NSX. Now, if you are handy with tools, the cooling hoses and Timing Belt/Water Pump service can be completed in a garage on jack stands and with few "special tools"...

Many of us who have had our NSXs for years have done the hoses and crank pulley. I now have these as an "every other Timing Belt/Water Pump" maintenance item...that still has those hoses in the car for 12 year/180K miles (okay, 12 years for 99% of NSX Owners)

But compared to mid-engine Italian sports cars of the era, the NSX is a breeze to work on.

I think you need to drive both and get a feel for the cars. I can tell you that the NSX is always well received everywhere I go with it. And I love the seating position and road view in the NSX.

My final piece of advice - make sure you can afford the "total ownership costs" for whichever car you buy. The last thing you want is a "garage ornament" because you can't afford to fix it if it breaks. The NSX is very reliable - if you take care of it. And taking care of it does cost money.

But the NSX is really a special car...9K total from 91-05 sold in the US and Canada (18K world-wide)...considering the numbers that have been totaled and scrapped, you are getting into smaller and smaller numbers with the NSX - and that makes them even more special as time goes on. And there is something to be said for having such a car. You won't lack for opportunities to talk about the car on Saturday mornings when we get back to "cars and coffee" events as the NSX never fails to draw the people over.

Back