• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

'91 NSX w/exhaust vs. Mercedes SL65 AMG

Black SL65 AMG :eek:

It was bad… he pulled 3-4 car lengths up to about 70mph… and I think he was on his cell phone. :cool: He began to pull almost immediately, the mid-engine launch kept me even for about the first 100 ft. When I shifted into 2nd gear it was like hitting a brick wall and I just watched him pull on out. :mad:

And we raced 3 times at 3 different stop lights before he turned off. Same story each time... beat down, beat down, beat down…

I couldn’t even yell “let’s take that boat to a track and we’ll see who wins!”…

All those NSX performance parts lying in the garage need to go on ASAP!!!
(6spd. tranny w/NSX-R gearing, headers, intake, etc.)
I've got more performance parts on the floor of my garage than on the NSX. :frown:

After this morning, I’ve got to find some more stuff to do.

The NSX would take him on the top end though. I would roll by him at 167mph when he hit his governor at 155mph. LOL, it would take me about a mile to catch up but in the end I would pass him! Let's take this to the autobahn... at least that's what I can keep telling myself. :rolleyes:

Man that thing was fast.

Dude. SL65. 604HP, 738 lb-ft of TQ. There is no way on earth you are going to touch that thing without a GJ turbo on there.

man... that SL65 AMG is like godzilla, i love the NSX but netviper is right, lol,
that thing is a monster even if you were putting 500+ rwhp to the ground, it would give you a hard time :biggrin:

btw if anyone has one lying around i'd gladly take one off your hands :biggrin:

haha you'd probably end up with len3.8's car :biggrin:

TTony said:
The NSX would take him on the top end though. I would roll by him at 167mph when he hit his governor at 155mph. LOL, it would take me about a mile to catch up but in the end I would pass him! Let's take this to the autobahn... at least that's what I can keep telling myself. :rolleyes:

Man that thing was fast.

As long as he is stock you will eventually catch an SL65, but I think it will take more than a mile. However, if he has the Renntech ECU with the speed limiter removed, he will disappear into horizon quickly. Renntech quotes 680 hp and 840 lb ft of torque with the ECU upgrade. Damn!! :eek:

Kudos for at least putting up a fight. :smile:

whiteNSXs said:
Man, why did you even THINK of playing with a SL65? That thing is BRUTAL!
Steve

He was an S-class sleeper. I thought it was going to be the base model. I mean, c'mon... how often do you run into an SL65 AMG? LOL

I got...
Owned!.jpg

I've got smoke by a 911 GT2. Lucky not many people witness it on the road. :biggrin: Top speed is not everything.

SL is assumed to be the S-Class'es sportscar/roadster

JDM_SXE-10 said:
Wait, it was an S-Class sleeper? The S-Class and SL-Class look nothing alike.

I think he meant genre/grouping... :confused:

Top-level luxury: S-Class
S sedan, CL, SL

Mid-level luxury: E-Class:
E sedan, CLK coupe, CLK cabrio

Entry-level luxury: C-Class
C sedan, C-coupe (no longer offered)

*MB actually lists distinct classes: SLK-Class, CLS-Class, CLK-Class, SL-Class
(along w/ C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, M-Class, G-Class)

V-12 Twin Turbo MONSTER with a price tag of around $190K. I don't think your NSX even had a chance. At least you had some fun. :biggrin:

TTony said:
I couldn’t even yell “let’s take that boat to a track and we’ll see who wins!”…
Unless that track is rather twisty it would still win against a stock NSX. They can rather easily show up 360 Modenas on a track with a good driver.

Auraraptor said:
Unless that track is rather twisty it would still win against a stock NSX. They can rather easily show up 360 Modenas on a track with a good driver.

But probably not while on the cell phone. :cool:

I did mean "SL"eeper also. It's like having an SC'd Viper, everyone knows it's fast but no one knows it's "that fast".

Ouch, that hurts. Those things are beast bone stock but they're heavy as hell, something like 4480lb's. :eek:

beware of the sl 55 and the sl600, they will both give you a serious dose of humility. BTW, the sl600 with renntech chip=sl65. apparently the sl600 is just a detuned sl65. only the sl500 can be owned by our cars

WOODY said:
beware of the sl 55 and the sl600, they will both give you a serious dose of humility. BTW, the sl600 with renntech chip=sl65. apparently the sl600 is just a detuned sl65. only the sl500 can be owned by our cars

Actually, the SL65 has more displacement than the SL600 (6.0l vs 5.5l I believe) which equates to 100+ hp and 140+ lb ft torque increases under factory warranty plus a more aggressive sport tuned suspension, AMG wheels, body cladding and exclusivity warranting the $50k premium.

I think the SL65 is a great choice for someone who wants a luxury roadster that can crush 98% of the cars on the road today while driving with just one hand and other on the girlfriend.

Personally, I would opt for the S65 with the Renntech software and blow away dedicated sports cars at stoplights with the kids laughing in the backseat. :biggrin:

Hmmm, a Renntech S600 family hauler? :wink:

the SL65 has more displacement than the SL600

both v12 with a larger bore on the sl65?

WOODY said:
the SL65 has more displacement than the SL600

both v12 with a larger bore on the sl65?

I would guess it's from a bore increase. Highly unlikely they changed the stroke of the engine.

I know someone with a Renntech CL65 and it's suppose to be badass from a dead a start and monstrous from a roll. I heard he has smoked modified Z06s, Cobras, and other muscle cars from a standstill.

I think a debadged S65 would be the ultimate sleeper. I want one. :smile:

My dad has a S600 not TT though but off the line it'd beat the NSX up to 30-35 MPH. It'll beat most cars off the line simply due the amount of torque.

but the TT/SC mercs are just weapons.

I was blown away by a SL65 from 60-120MPH

I am surprised he only beat you 3~4 car lengh, it is the almighty SL65 after all, the Ferrari/Lambo/Vette killer. Even Supercharged NSX will not stand a chance. It is going to take at least NSX in the level of Gerry Johnson's personal NSX to beat it. SL65 does high 11s~low 12s consistently on street tires.

Personally if I get a chance to line up against SL65, I will try to give it a run as well :biggrin:

nsxsupra said:
I am surprised he only beat you 3~4 car lengh, it is the almighty SL65 after all, the Ferrari/Lambo/Vette killer. Even Supercharged NSX will not stand a chance. It is going to take at least NSX in the level of Gerry Johnson's personal NSX to beat it. SL65 does high 11s~low 12s consistently on street tires.

Personally if I get a chance to line up against SL65, I will try to give it a run as well :biggrin:

I think up to 70 that a 4 car lead sounds reasonable, but only if he was able to launch the NSX perfectly out of the hole. However, by 120 mph, I bet that lead would stretch to 20 cars. A Comptech car would get thrashed by the 65 pretty soundly as well. It would require a highly tuned FI NSX to have a chance of even keeping up in the higher speeds.

Remember, it has 738 lb ft of torque stock and a mere 604 hp, which is crazy! I'm sure quite a few have the Renntech ECU as well, pushing that torque number to 840. That is four times as much the NSX! :eek: The 65 is a bad ass luxo car!

Agree.
A minivan can seat 7, a Jeep will climb hills better
and a $190,000.00 V12 AMG will pull an NSX.
These types of posts crack me up,
WRX, Z06, SL65 AMG etc.
Just got back from a blast down PCH in the 94.
No interest in any of the other cars mentioned above,
still wearing an ear to ear grin. :biggrin:

MCM said:
Agree.
A minivan can seat 7, a Jeep will climb hills better
and a $190,000.00 V12 AMG will pull an NSX.
These types of posts crack me up,
WRX, Z06, SL65 AMG etc.
Just got back from a blast down PCH in the 94.
No interest in any of the other cars mentioned above,
still wearing an ear to ear grin. :biggrin:

I agree it's an unfair comparison between a modern $190k twin turbo V12 luxury coupe versus an older purpose built sports car. What do we expect the outcome will be if you put up 270 hp versus 600 hp in acceleration contests? However, it's still fun to talk about racing crazy cars like the 65s.

Then again, the guy in the 4500 pound SL is not going to have the same rewarding experience you had in your lithe NSX on the PCH. Sounds like you had a great time carving the twisties. :smile: I would much rather run the twisties than racing in a straight line on the interstate. Unfortunately, here in Vegas they are limited, then again we have the LVMS and Pahrump tracks. :)

Have fun on the PCH!

Last edited:
Back