• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'92 no start

Thanks again, guys. Yes I did check the starter connector wires and they were tight. Re: the battery, it's brand new and, when this happens, all other electrics work fine--so, I m assuming it's not that.

I'll fill you all in on the progress. The difficult thing about this type of problem is that it's been soooo intermittent--ie once every 3-4 weeks-- then it starts after a few tries. If I knew that it would always be this way, I'd forget about it. However, I want to avoid the day when it just doesn't start at all and I'm miles away from home.

Well , after one year or so with no problems, my car did the old no-start routine again--same as described above; complete power to all accessories, but none getting to the starter. HOWEVER, this time when I turned the key, it began to turn over for a fraction of a second and I heard a loud click from behind the glove box and then nothing. This must be the starter relay referred to above(?) Would this suggest that this is the problem? Of all of things I did, I never replaced this relay. As always, after a few tries, the car started right up again.

Second Q--is it possible to hot start an NSX by jumping a wire from the solenoid connector directly to the positive battery post in the fuse box in the engine compartment? ( assuming that the ignition key is on and someone is depressing the clutch , of course). I ask this just in case the car doesn't start at all some day miles from home

By the way, one of the things I replaced last year was the main relay--as a preventive measure

Hi Doc,

After re-reading this entire post I think it is time to have your starter rebuilt:).

HTH,
LarryB

I do not do it myself. I do have a very trusted Auto electric shop in NJ that I have used for 30 years. There may be someone up by you that can do it. Removal is not very difficult.

If you hot wire the selonoid I cannot see how it would not start, unless of course your starter is bad:). Also make sure you check the selonoid connection, I think we went over this already though.

PM me if you like:).

Regards,
LarryB

My case may be different from yours but it doesn't hurt to check. I too had the intermittent starting and it drove me nuts. I found out it was the plastic piece down on the clutch pedal when depressed. It was cracked and brittle and everytime I pushed the clutch in it would not engage whatever needs to engage to start. I changed the plastic piece and no more problems.

Thanks--I looked at no-start switch on the pedal that last year and it seemed ok then. Another look is in order. Thank you.

Update! Since the last post on this recurrent problem, I shorted out the clutch no-start switch and , since doing that, the problem hasn't occurred once. It's been about 5-6 months now and about 6k miles w/o one bad start. I'm pretty sure that this was the problem. However, given the episodic nature of this problem, I'm going to continue with this test a bit longer.

Hey guys I've been having the same type of starting issue with my nsx.

I'm still just in the process of narrowing down the possibilitys, so any input on what you think i should try first is appreciated.

So i noticed that my car starts normally when its cold, no problem. But if i take it out for 15-20min turn it off, then turn it back on again it cranks revs to about 2k then dies about 1 second later. Usually after 3-4 attempts of trying to start it stays running and runs perfectly normal.

I have try'd the "wiggle the ignition key trick" all the lights stay on, no problem. I also can clearly hear the fuel pump turning over everytime. The battery is brand new just replaced it couple months ago.

So what my main question is the main relay or ignition switch still possibly a factor in this issue?

Other things i have read that i should look at are as follows:
-Check cable connections to starter.
-Check neutral safety switch: adjustment or replacement.

*also this only started happening JUST after filling my last tank of gas, which is still in the tank

Last edited:
/bump

Anyone? still no input?

You may have gotten some bad gas. If that is the case it may take you a while empty the tank via driving. Once you refuel(from a different station) see if the problem continues.

Back