• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

97~99 vs 00~01 vs 02~06 oem headers

What is the difference between 97~99 vs 00~01 vs 02~06 OEM headers?

Any proven dyno gain for NA1 NSXes using NA2 oem headers? If they perform nearly as well as aftermarket NA1 headers, I don't see why spend the extra $600~$1000.

They must flow quite well, as the highest known CTSC dyno result is with oem headers. Not sure if it will work well for NA1 though.

Honda credit most of the 20hp gain by the header, not engine displacement increase.

Great question, I was wondering the exact same thing. Lets see what info comes out, and if there are fitment and or design issues between the years you listed other than the 06:wink: .

First generation NA1 header will not fit on 97 plus unless you find some one who can customize a straight pipe for you. The reason is because the header is longer in length; therefore, the connecting point of cat and exhaust are in different locations and shape differently.

I have an 03, and I ordered the Fujitsubo header, which is for NA1 only, in this case, I will have to go straight pipe unless I order another exhaust with NA1 spec, as well as the NA1 cats. Basically, change the entire header/cat/exaust system.

I have seen people replace their NA1 header, cat, and exhaust off a NA2, they told me there is considerable amount power gain.

The reason JDM don't offer too many after market header for NA2 is because the factory NA2 header is very good; also, there are not enough NA2 out there, so it will not be worth while to spend money on R & D to creat headers that will not sell in high quantaty.

Mugen, Fujitsubo, etc specializing in exhaust and header for Honda, and they don't offer NA2 header.

If you own a NA2, specially 2000 plus, very little results will come from let's say a Comptech/Taitec/DC sports headers, because the diameter of the pipe is acutally not as big as factory, if my information is correct. NA2 factory header has large bore and allow more air to flow through than the USDM aftermarket headers.

similar concept as S2k, factory header is so good that no after market header will out perform it, the only reason for anyone to get an aftermarket header is for weight saving purpose.

1997-99 headers are the same, then 2000-2005 are the same. In 2000 they added an air pump with air injection to conform with ULEV specs. I suspect there may be a clearance notch in the header for the air nossles located in the heads.

I think the headers functionally are the same. Please understand this is speculaive on my part. I have not seem them side by side.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry...I have a set of 2002 headers here if someone would like to compare photos...

So, my plan is to install these 2002 headers + "95-99" test pipes from dali+OEM NA2 exhaust...on a 91 (NA1)

Other than needing to extend the 02 sensor leads, is there any reason this plan won't work?

Thanks in advance
Matt

u00mem91 said:
Thanks Larry...I have a set of 2002 headers here if someone would like to compare photos...

So, my plan is to install these 2002 headers + "95-99" test pipes from dali+OEM NA2 exhaust...on a 91 (NA1)

Other than needing to extend the 02 sensor leads, is there any reason this plan won't work?

Thanks in advance
Matt

What straight pipe are you using?

Hi

i always had the ideia that a NA2 (97+) complete exhaust in my 97 NA1 would make some good...

the test pipes combination always made me some confusion... because when i see that when a aftermarket brand have both headers for NA1 and NA2 (like TAITEC), the NA1 cost more... i always think to buy for a NA2 and adapt them.. but then... what test pipes?? or make a custom ones??

these are doubts i have :tongue: :tongue:

by the way...do any of you NA2 guys have the stock headers lost somewhere in the garage and want to sell me ??:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The reason NA1 aftermarket header such as Comptech cost more than NA2 is because the piping of the NA1 header is longer, so most of them adapted the method of making the same header for both version, and add an extension pipe on the NA1, that is why when you look at the pictures, there is always an extra pipe sitting next to the main header. If you buy an JDM NA1 header, they don't use that method, so in my case with the Fujitsubo header, I will either have to buy an NA1 exhaust and Cats/Straight pipes or custom a straight pipe to use with my existing NA2 exhaust.

Vance,

thanks dude.... now is understood.... :wink: :wink:

and about your stock headers...... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: as in ... do you need them after the fujitsubo gets in ???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

UnhuZ said:
Vance,

thanks dude.... now is understood.... :wink: :wink:

and about your stock headers...... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: as in ... do you need them after the fujitsubo gets in ???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most likely not, may keep it for smog purpose, but dont know yet. Look me up in a month, when my header arrives:smile:

UnhuZ said:
Hi

i always had the ideia that a NA2 (97+) complete exhaust in my 97 NA1 would make some good...

What are you saying??? :confused:

Are you saying you have a 97 NSX that has a NA1 exhaust system installed?

or

Are you saying you have an NSX manufactured in 97 that is a NA1?

What does the VIN say?

heads'up...

AU_NSX said:
What are you saying??? :confused:

Are you saying you have a 97 NSX that has a NA1 exhaust system installed?

or

Are you saying you have an NSX manufactured in 97 that is a NA1?

What does the VIN say?

It's also possible it might be an automatic-transmission '97 NSX.

If i got this right...
If you have a NA1, upgrading to OEM NA2 headers would seem like a good idea?
You gain performance, and its still a OEM Honda quality product. - I like that! :smile:

The downside is that you'll have to replace the rest of the system aswell. :confused:

Any idea what a set of NA2 headers cost?

Vancehu said:
Most likely not, may keep it for smog purpose, but dont know yet. Look me up in a month, when my header arrives:smile:
ok.... i'll bug you... :wink: :wink:

AU_NSX:
I have a 97 NSX that is NA1.... the VIN say NA1 :tongue:
check it: JHMNA11600T300020 , attention, it is a Euro VIN, but out of curiosity, see what your US EPC says when you insert it ;)
When i insert it in my local dealer...it says 10/94... but it's hard to believe that it took almost 3 years to seel it (probably the chassi was built in 94 and the car was only assembled in late 96).
The first owner was german and bought 7 new NSX, the first in 91 and the last in 04, all of them directly from Tokio (then german Honda legalized them)

I bought the car to the first owner. The car was bought brand new in 07/03/1997 and i think the NA2 were only sold in September, here in Europe.

Osiris_x11:
Man, no Auto....i only like manual..... :wink: :wink:

RacingHeart:
I'm talking about COMPLETE exhaust, ence, headers/pipes/muffler
so, i think (correct me if i'm wrong) i can install a complete NA2 exhaust in my NA1.

nsxsupra said:
Is it ok to have the OEM NA2 headers installed on NA1 without the heatshields?

Yes, most headers do away with the heat shields. Only Mugen and OEM come with heat shields.

UnhuZ said:
ok.... i'll bug you... :wink: :wink:

AU_NSX:
I have a 97 NSX that is NA1.... the VIN say NA1 :tongue:
check it: JHMNA11600T300020 , attention, it is a Euro VIN, but out of curiosity, see what your US EPC says when you insert it ;)
When i insert it in my local dealer...it says 10/94... but it's hard to believe that it took almost 3 years to seel it (probably the chassi was built in 94 and the car was only assembled in late 96).
The first owner was german and bought 7 new NSX, the first in 91 and the last in 04, all of them directly from Tokio (then german Honda legalized them)

I bought the car to the first owner. The car was bought brand new in 07/03/1997 and i think the NA2 were only sold in September, here in Europe.

VIN numbers are country specific. I am in Australia and although we have European spec NSX's here our VIN numbers are different.

I can guarantee you that your chassis did not sit around for 3 years before it was built. And it really doesn't matter when your car was bought... It could sit on the showroom floor for 5 years before it sold.

What is the "Build Date" stamped in the engine compartment? That will give you the year of your NSX...

UnhuZ said:
RacingHeart:
I'm talking about COMPLETE exhaust, ence, headers/pipes/muffler
so, i think (correct me if i'm wrong) i can install a complete NA2 exhaust in my NA1.

Yes you can install COMPLETE NA2 system onto NA1. You need to buy headers + Cats + Exhaust.

AU_NSX said:
What is the "Build Date" stamped in the engine compartment? That will give you the year of your NSX...

i'll check it and post here....i don't know where it is, but i'll find it :biggrin: :biggrin:

so to clarify:

If I have an NA1 NSX, I can use a complete NA2 header, cat and exhaust and it is a complete bolt on?

Or use NA2 header and exhaust with custom test pipes?

Nothing is a direct bolt on without the NA2 cats right? I don't see any NA2 test pipes available.

My current setup is NA1 with stock header, NA1 test pipes and NA1 JGTC lightweight. I would like to add the NA2 header without too many custom modifications

Last edited:
taqman15 said:
so to clarify:

If I have an NA1 NSX, I can use a complete NA2 header, cat and exhaust and it is a complete bolt on?
Yes

taqman15 said:
Or use NA2 header and exhaust with custom test pipes?
You don't need custom test pipes with an NA2 header and exhaust, just the standard NA2 test pipes or NA2 cats.

taqman15 said:
Nothing is a direct bolt on without the NA2 cats right? I don't see any NA2 test pipes available.
They are

taqman15 said:
My current setup is NA1 with stock header, NA1 test pipes and NA1 JGTC lightweight. I would like to add the NA2 header without too many custom modifications
Then to keep your NA1 exhaust you will need NA2 header, NA2 test pipes or NA2 cats, plus adapter pipes.

Back