• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A little better audio wanted

Greetings All….I have a 1991 NSX. I’m wondering what the simplest way to improve the sound system is. I’ve read the forums on major upgrades for the system — and a few less major upgrades…but I’m wondering if there are any ideas for making an improvement w/o replacing everything.

I love music, but I don’t need the “Full Monte” in the NSX. I have replaced the amps over the years, and the Bose currently works as designed…just looking for a little more.

Greetings All….I have a 1991 NSX. I’m wondering what the simplest way to improve the sound system is. I’ve read the forums on major upgrades for the system — and a few less major upgrades…but I’m wondering if there are any ideas for making an improvement w/o replacing everything.

I love music, but I don’t need the “Full Monte” in the NSX. I have replaced the amps over the years, and the Bose currently works as designed…just looking for a little more.

A head unit is always a great start. THe output is generally stronger, hence more clarity etc. Building bass is another story, but I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. I have replace my headunit and all my factory components. Changing components is another step you could consider.

Easy and cheap

Put the GROM Ipod adapter and your music quality goes from SHI***Y to AMAZING, is really incredible the HUGE difference it makes, once I got mine I was shocked a 90K car could have such bad sound OEM factory system, yet, after I installed now I feel SORRY for the guys that dump 1K on a better sound system without giving the OE a try.

--unless you have blown speakers or Subwoofer-

Trust me, I play tunes like DUB stuff on my car, and 100% of the times people that are on my car ask me if that is stock, like, "WTF is that stock?"

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/ipd3...05_ipod_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html

I have mine for 3 years and sounds as good as new, installing takes 30 minutes total!

Good luck!

Oscar

Agreed! I have the grom ipod adapter too. Sounds clear and have good bass too. Sounds wayyyy better then the cd changer that were in there.

Another Grom (do you pronounce it G rom or Grom?) I too, also wanted more this, or more that.......no need now! Clean, forceful and very tight sounds. Do it!

This doesn't make sense. Why would an ipod adaptor running off an ipod with music most likely encoded at 128 or 256K sound better than full wave CD's through the CD player? Are you guys sure it isn't just louder? from a technical standpoint it doesn't add up.

For me not only its louder but on my ipod i could play with the equailizer to suit the way i like. Before even with the cd i had to turn the volume up a bit to get to where i like it. Now i dont have too. The stock amps works good for bass too.

OK, but none of this is saying it improves audio quality at all.

is it just me or is the apple engineers really put some thought into the ipod because everything sounds better with my iphone/ipod

If you are going to use the ipod/iphone then try to buy music at as high a rate as possible and use this:

You can also plug this in between the head unit and the amplifier. This is a fairly inexpensive unit but uses pretty sophisticated DSP circuitry and some acoustic analysis of the car with some tuning. Should make a decent difference. Still, there is no substitute for pulling out the Bose and installing something even of medium quality.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SS3Lf92z90U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
If you are going to use the ipod/iphone then try to buy music at as high a rate as possible and use this:

You can also plug this in between the head unit and the amplifier. This is a fairly inexpensive unit but uses pretty sophisticated DSP circuitry and some acoustic analysis of the car with some tuning. Should make a decent difference. Still, there is no substitute for pulling out the Bose and installing something even of medium quality.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SS3Lf92z90U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crazy little gizmo... never heard of it

Its a smaller toned down version of the MS-8. It's new.

Pretty cool video.. Beat having to spends lot more on high end setup, espeially if u dont want aftermarket stereo. Double in and whatnot. Keep everything stock looking but sounds better. I like it.

Head units are passe.... LOL...

Really my source will be my phone going through this to an amplifier driving two door speaker seperates. No radio, factory amps, antenna, CD changer, subwoofer. Lighter, simpler, and better sounding.

I don't get it. I can understand how this might work for your average, low cost factory stereo system in a cheaper vehicle. But Bose's claim to fame (no flames please) is that supposedly all of their amplifiers are 'tuned' to the acoustics of the vehicle that they're going into .. so, assuming your Bose amps are working correctly, they should already be optimized and plugging in this gizmo should have no benefit .. other than JBL might use some different optimization routines than Bose uses and you might like them better. And if your Bose amps aren't working properly, any attempts at trying to optimize (ie. adjust) your input source will likely only be defeated by the bad amps.

Now where I see it as potentially useful is if you have already swapped out the Bose stuff for aftermarket amps/speakers (so you've lost the Bose "acoustic tuning") and can now benefit from the JBL tuning.

In my NSX, music coming from my iPod sounds better because of two reasons:

1. It sounds better than music coming from my CD changer because it doesn't skip
  2. It sounds better than music from the tape player.

:wink:

I don't get it. I can understand how this might work for your average, low cost factory stereo system in a cheaper vehicle. But Bose's claim to fame (no flames please) is that supposedly all of their amplifiers are 'tuned' to the acoustics of the vehicle that they're going into .. so, assuming your Bose amps are working correctly, they should already be optimized and plugging in this gizmo should have no benefit .. other than JBL might use some different optimization routines than Bose uses and you might like them better. And if your Bose amps aren't working properly, any attempts at trying to optimize (ie. adjust) your input source will likely only be defeated by the bad amps.

Now where I see it as potentially useful is if you have already swapped out the Bose stuff for aftermarket amps/speakers (so you've lost the Bose "acoustic tuning") and can now benefit from the JBL tuning.

The hope is that perhaps the JBL MS2 can untune that Bose "tuning". LOL

Truth is though, it still can't take the door panels off and remove the crap behind there.

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense. Why would an ipod adaptor running off an ipod with music most likely encoded at 128 or 256K sound better than full wave CD's through the CD player? Are you guys sure it isn't just louder? from a technical standpoint it doesn't add up.

+1

I have to agree with the above quote. When I listen to the Ipod hooked in to another system, whether it be vehicle or home system, there is something about it at "first glance" that seems great...but when you really listed to vocals and such, everything seems kind of muddied together vs. a good cd. The best way I can describe it is that its warmer sounding from the CD, individual pieces of the music (vocals, guitars, backgrounds, etc) all seem more defined and easier to pick up. The Ipod is bright, yes, louder possibly due to a "hotter" signal, but its like everything is more run together and harder to pick out. I have a docking unit on my high end Onkyo Integra home system and its the same thing. In my MDX I have a Double Din alpine HU with direct Ipod connection specific for Ipod, and if you compare CD to Ipod on the exact same song, there is so much more depth to the CD than on the Ipod,(the cymbals seem to ring smoother, bass tends to be more deep and rolling, but the Ipod is louder and brighter sounding at same volume level for sure, bass seems "punchier". Granted, there is no arguing the convenience of playlists and so on you get with an Ipod.

I think because the NSX is a tough accoustical environment to begin with, engine and road noise, and for those with a T, listening with roof off, the Ipod is going to give the ellusion of sounding better because of the brightness, hotter signal, and the various EQ functions you can play with on it.

Going with the integrated Ipod connector is probably the simplest way of getting you the perception of better sound, and not change anything, but a CD is clearly the more pure source of "higher definition" sound, you just might not hear it in the NSX. Many people associate a "flatter" sound as been less quality than a brighter/bassier sound. CD's tend to sound a bit flat to me in the NSX , but for whatever reason the source signal from the factory OEM CD changer is very low, which may be seeming like it is a lesser quality source.

As far as audio upgrades, there are so many options that members have done, all of which take it to another level, along with cost.

The ipod integration obviously,
changing door speakers to a component set
external amplification
a true subwoofer
head unit

I have opted for keeping factory OEM headunit, and integrated it into an aftermarket EQ/processer, then to a small and simple amplifier that runs my speakers and a subwoofer. I used a custom built box built by prime member "Angus". All in all, cost was not huge, mostly because I didn't change the headunit, that is probably the most expensive part of a upgrade.

As discussed on many other threads, unless you are looking for audiophile quality, which it appears you are not, don't go too crazy since the NSX is not the ideal vehicle to build and expect high end car sound from...too many other variables.

You can get a $150 amp, a $200 set of separates, and it will sound better. So you're into it for $350. I think you CAN get great sound in the NSX without revamping the whole car. OP, other than the MS2 I suggested, it's going to take removal of the sound system. But that's not a big deal. It doesn't need to be elaborate and expensive. It just needs to be done right. You can get terrific drivers cheap. The key is mounting them right, and what you do with the NSX cabin. I have a great idea on how to quiet the cabin fully too.

It just needs to be done right. You can get terrific drivers cheap. The key is mounting them right, and what you do with the NSX cabin. I have a great idea on how to quiet the cabin fully too.

Agreed - clean installation and wiring will be a key, (doesn't really cost any more to do it right...) and some sound deadening material will really help. I did inside of doors (in the cavity of the door on the outer sheetmetal) as well as inside of door panel itself and the immediate area around the speaker. Nice and tight. Also did the floor with a couple layers in the entire cabin...from front firewall all the way back to bottom half of rear firewall. Again, floor is nice and tight...blocks some road noise (which helps the stereo system come through) and tightens up the bass response. Not a huge cost to do this, just time and patience to remove seats, carpet and some dash components. During the winter, I had the time, so did a nice installation, better than average sound, on a tight budget....

Last edited:
You have to be careful with sound deadener especially in the NSX as it is heavy stuff, and it is often overused. Sometimes in spots where it makes little to no difference. I think the factory usually does a very good job of deadening a car, because it is done by measurement and science not a random "I will just cover every part wiith deadener"... which works, but it comes at a cost of weight. I am sure Slycurt has made an improvement, I am just saying to save weight, you have to be very conservative.

I think the areas surround the speaker itself on the door are worthwhile but one of the real weak areas is the "baffle" itself which the speaker is mounted to. Right now we have a few versions of this:

speaker_panel_kit_6501.jpg

Some are plastic, some are made of wood. Problem with plastic is that it is just a poor material and too flexible for a baffle that must be ROCK SOLID for proper bass. MDF is better but it is not good over time as it doesn't like moisture in the long haul.

The best thing to do is to have a baffle made of a solid piece of billet aluminum. Both light and strong. I am working on getting this done, right now I have a sample template. Once I get that done I am going to hand the design over to a couple of the fabricators on here I trust and see what they can do with it. Then perhaps I will setup a group buy to make it worthwhile for the fabricator so he can make some of his invested time back.

I have gone back to the idea of trying to get the MOST possible bass out of the door speakers without a sub. Just seperates, high power via a class D amp, a solid baffle, and a high excursion strong cone woofer. Everyone thinks you need lots of cone area to get bass. It is not true. The woofer I am using now has a Neodymium magnet that is both 10X stronger and much lighter than your traditional woofer magnets (most of the real high-end seperates are using them now) and a larger than normal cone:

rf4.jpg

My idea on quieting the NSX cabin is not to take away from the actual cabin noise, which in an NSX is a difficult task... but I am producing something that takes that noise away from YOUR EARS. I'm playing around with a couple of things and my background in acoustics is a big help here.

Last edited:
My idea on quieting the NSX cabin is not to take away from the actual cabin noise, which in an NSX is a difficult task... but I am producing something that takes that noise away from YOUR EARS. I'm playing around with a couple of things and my background in acoustics is a big help here.

Active noise control? Or something else?

Back