• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

About to install CTSC, headers, Exhaust etc.....Any Advice

I will be installing these things on my own in my garage. Any advice on going about to do this?

I did some searching in prime but maybe I can get some direct feedback here? I didnt find to much info as I would like to on doing this besides maybe wiki which wasnt to good.

One question I have is, should I install manifold first and then supercharger or assemble on bench and install as a unit?

Anyways. I will be doing this on saturday. I will be doing this with the help of my friend who is a general mechanic so I believe we are capable of doing this. Is it possible to get all this installed in one day if we spend ALL saturday working on this? We have all the tools in my 3 bay garage.

BTW, I received the "elbow repair kit". Its new and was included when I bought this. What is it for?
2012-03-22_16-57-01_412.jpg

2012-03-22_18-04-39_61.jpg

2012-03-22_18-04-29_968.jpg

2012-03-22_18-04-23_795.jpg

Take your time and follow the Comptech instructions. I mounted the blower to the manifold first per the instructions and things went smoothly. You have to flip the engine lift bracket at the right rear of the engine, otherwise the blower & manifold won't fit. This was omitted from early versions of the instructions.

The elbow repair kit replaces the original silicone bypass hose under the blower, which was prone to splitting & leaking.

I strongly recommend sending your injectors out for cleaning if you plan on re-using them. I used RC in Torrance and they did a great job.

Also, the Comptech ESM is wired up differently than the Zublin SmartMAP, so identify which one you have and use correct wiring.

You can find install documentation here: http://mosquitomagnet.hostoi.com/ctsc/

Good luck!

Russ - that's a nice repository!

Junior - Inclusive of what Russ said about your injectors (I mentioned these on FB also) you will want to think about changing your fuel filter. You'll be removing those fuel lines anyway. You will also want to get new crush washers for the fuel lines just to be safe. Make sure you torque these down to specs, not too tight. Get a new gatorback goodyear belt. It's a pain to change out later. Now is also a good time to clean all the grooves on those pulleys including the one on the engine. The less crap on those pulleys the less chances you'll slip the belt. If you're on your original fuel pump.. you may want to think about getting a fuel gauge and a AFR gauge. I only say this because if you're pump is on it's way out it'll run out of steam near redline and you'll run lean.

Mine was the autorotor so make sure you use the Whipple manual from Russ' links. It won't hurt to read the autorotor manual though. These CT manuals are some of the best i've used so it should have everything you need. Just take your time. It took me a week of working a few hours after work each day and cleaning stuff here and there.

I would change the fuel pump while you are at it.

One full day sat sounds pushing it to me. It took us about 11 hours to do the sc. Exhaust takes 20 minutes. I have never done headers, but I recall it not being a quick process. The fuel pump took another 4+ hours.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157958

This post will give you all you need in regards to headers.
Read everything 2x.

Take your time! Take lots of breaks and have silicone gloves on, eye goggles, ice tea ang gojo. I'd also recommend powerwashing the entire underbody with simple green before you begin, YOU WILL THANK ME!

Junior - If you're not ready for your car to be down for one long duration of time here are the different components involved in your install. You can tackle each one separately at different intervals of time.

1. CTSC - The only thing you already have installed that i'd change, so you don't redo work, is the fuel filter and maybe the air filter while you're at it.
2. Fuel Pump - If you're car is old you should look into monitoring your fuel pressure but there's no advantage to doing this now in terms of install time.. now engine safety, that's a different conversation...
3. Air Intake Scoop
4. Exhaust and Headers

This is how I would break apart your project. Your problem of having too many parts is a GREAT problem to have! If I were you i'd do the CTSC first. Leave the other stuff for another day. Get in some good really low boost shake down runs after the install. Check for fuel and oil leaks, etc. You don't want to go on one long drive right after your first time installing a CTSC - that's for sure. Good luck!

Note: Get at least a AFR gauge. A fuel press gauge would also be nice (actually I have an extra B&M unit. PM me). I normally wouldn't recommend these if you had a newer car but our cars are getting old. Your components are old and tired. Keep an eye on your vitals!

I would change the fuel pump while you are at it.

One full day sat sounds pushing it to me. It took us about 11 hours to do the sc. Exhaust takes 20 minutes. I have never done headers, but I recall it not being a quick process. The fuel pump took another 4+ hours.
I will do fuel filter, fuel pump at another time. I hope to at least get SC done on saturday and then finish off the rest next weekend.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157958

This post will give you all you need in regards to headers.
Read everything 2x.

Take your time! Take lots of breaks and have silicone gloves on, eye goggles, ice tea ang gojo. I'd also recommend powerwashing the entire underbody with simple green before you begin, YOU WILL THANK ME!
Thanks, I will take your advice. :)

Have it staged on a table and ready to roll. I just noticed he also sent me his oem injectors so I dont have to pull mine out just yet. This week I am sending injectors for a cleaning and testing and order some gaskets. hopefully, next saturday this will come on and headers will be installed weekend after that.
2012-03-24_12-23-31_368.jpg

Hi Junior40er,

Good luck with your install.

I have an early model Comptech blower..would you be able to take a pic of the 'Elbow repair kit' for me to see?

Cheers

SS

I will do fuel filter, fuel pump at another time. I hope to at least get SC done on saturday and then finish off the rest next weekend.

Thanks, I will take your advice. :)

I recommended the fuel pump because a few cars have been running lean up top. If would make sure you have af gauges or take it to a Dyno before really getting on it. Better safe than sorry.

Have it staged on a table and ready to roll. I just noticed he also sent me his oem injectors so I dont have to pull mine out just yet. This week I am sending injectors for a cleaning and testing and order some gaskets. hopefully, next saturday this will come on and headers will be installed weekend after that.
2012-03-24_12-23-31_368.jpg

PLEASE TAKE LOTS OF PICS!!!!!
I'm looking at taking on the same project and would love as much info as possible. Good luck

Looking forward to your pics and progress

Nice kit, take lots of pictures man. I would love to see the step by step installation. I am sure many prime members would love this as well.:biggrin:

Can you show us this elbow repair kit please?

I have it. I put it on when we moved the SC from one car to the other. I bought it from Shad.

I haven't seen any pics of it, but it replaces the rubber hose with a metal one. It was a simple swap and solves any future leaking issues.

I am not sure how easy it is to swap out because I think you have to take the blower off to get at it.

This is it in case someone isn't sure in that pic.

Attachments

• elbow.JPG
    elbow.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 278
This is it in case someone isn't sure in that pic.
Thanks for sharing. Where can I order this from? I think I'm leaking out of this hose. Wondering how long it will take to pull the blower off to replace it but I definitely need to do this either way.

Back