• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Plans to Limit Sales to No More than 800/Year

So, what is the spirit of the NSX? Some say mid-engine, V6... but it's name is New Sportscar Experimental... it's a flagship with new technology. NSX 2.0 doesn't need to be the same technology as the NSX 1.0 to be an NSX as long as it is new technology. I'd have to say that hyrbid gas/electric with torque vectoring sounds pretty high tech to me. I'm sure there will be other technologies we haven't heard about yet that are in the pipeline for it. I'm quite excited to see the new NSX and I hope I can get one.

One thing I've like about the NSX (and I hope the new one adheres to) is it's price range. It's hard to be a fan of exotic sports cars when they cost an arm and a leg. The NSX has always been just at the limit of what I can afford. I don't expect it to be a Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo... I can't afford any of them. But I don't want a Corvette or Porsche either. And the GT-R looks too much like a sedan (and yes... I *almost* bought one when it first came out.)

Yes. Let's just hold the critique until this car has officially been released or some real production specs are announced. The original NSX never really had any strong paper specs even when it first debuted but still outdid Ferrari even though they had "better" paper specs. Just look at the R32 GTR, Z32 300ZX and MK4 Supra from the same time. They all supposedly made more power than the NSX thanks to some turbocharging, but yet the NSX is was still more refined and kept up if not bested them in performance with its spartan NA V6.

Honestly though, it is surprising how many NSX admirers know nothing of the NSX idea or history... I think the issue is that many want to fuse their own ideologies with the NSX. V8 this or that. If the V8 criteria is so important, why not just go buy the R8, M3 or C6/C7? :rolleyes:

If you can't see the difference between the refinement, design language or platforms, then maybe you really should get the C7?

Acura’s “biggest negative is we are known as a value company in the premium space,” Mike Accavitti, Honda’s U.S. marketing chief, said in a Detroit interview last month. “What we have to do from a marketing perspective is ramp up the emotional element.”

Why do car makers keep talking about "emotion" when it comes to cars? That last thing I want is a bunch of guys wearing black eyeliner watching Twilight while designing a car. How about just building a freaking damn good car?

price is going to be very important as the competition will be around 120k for the bmw i8, hybrid r8, next gtr and lexus sc.
will they make it fully loaded with a few minor accessories like their models now or let clients customize it out and add another 30k to the price.

How will a V6 ever do this....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lpB1yR9Sz9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A V6 will never do that no matter how much we want it to.
However if Honda can deliver a 3000 lb car with 410 hp it will have the same 7.3 lbs per hp as the Audi R8 V10 Plus has.
I think lightness is the next big thing and Honda has to deliver lightness in a big way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lpB1yR9Sz9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a really nice commercial (Audi is good for that), but I still would never buy the R8 because of form factor even if money was no object. What about revolution on the outside? I fail to see how revolutionary the inside is too...

The Porsche 991 gt3 starts at $150K in Canada which is out of the new NSX market segment.
I'm thinking the new NSX is more correctly positioned against the 911 Carrera 4 which starts at $103K here.
Perhaps a future nsx type R might go against the gt3?

Right. B/c no one in their right mind would pick a sports car with a v6 when they can have a v10.

Wait. What board is this? ;)

You make a very interesting point about a 6 cylinder engines in general.
Porsche has been making 6 cylinder engines forever and has to be one of the most successful car companies ever.
On the other hand a Japanese 6 cylinder car is not seen in the same light and many people ask why no V8/V10?
Must drive Honda and Nissan nuts trying to understand why their 6 cylinder cars lack the aura of a Porsche?

Right. B/c no one in their right mind would pick a sports car with a v6 when they can have a v10.

Wait. What board is this? ;)

But these go to 11. They are one louder.

SpinalTap+11.jpg

Some reference "starting" price-points (add 15%-25% for options/etc):

• $230k+ '13 Ferrari Italia
  • $229k+ '13 McLaren MP4-12C
  • $196k+ '13 Ferrari California
  • $192k+ '13 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • $190k+ '13 Mercedes-Benz SLS
  • $174k+ '13 Bentley Continental GT
  • $132k+ '13 Jaguar XKR-S
  • $126k+ '13 Maserati GanTurismo
  • $116k+ '13 Aston Martin Vantage
  • $114k+ '13 Audi R8
  • $111k+ '13 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
  • $110k+ '13 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
  • $108k+ '13 BMW M6
  • $100k+ '13 Nissan GTR
  • $97k+ '13 Viper SRT
  • $67k+ '13 Lotus Evora

Interestingly, the purported ~$130k+ NSX-Concept fits right in the middle...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lpB1yR9Sz9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Just noticed that those wheels look so similar to the nsx concept wheels that originally debuted. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Those wheels are very similar. LOL

Well yeah I am OK with a V6 if other things really make up for it. I am ok with a V6 in my NSX because what it lacks in sound it makes up for in looks and feel. It's still a weakness, just like it is in the GT3 too.

Sound is 25% of the experience and the more you cost, the better you need to sound. If this car is north of 150K, it needs to sound AMAZING.

But these go to 11. They are one louder.

SpinalTap+11.jpg

Thank you. You understand.

- - - Updated - - -

What I find interesting is the response I am getting from customers. I have had several comment that they thought the 'New" NSX was already on the market and on the street. They thought they saw one at my shop when it was a old NSX.
I guess that's what the Superbowl/Seinfeld ads did and when I tell "no new NSX yet" they always screw of their faces and looked puzzled. I go to tell them one "might" be released in 2015 but even that is not a sure thing. They always shake their heads like they don't understand and are confused.
I think Acura already accomplished the sizzle they wanted. Sadly, I don't believe the car will be brought to market.
IMO they are just waiting for the right set of circumstances, economic or otherwise to announce it is being shelved again and save face about another cancellation of this car. Another "we wanted to but because of_________ we can't right now".

Thank you. You understand.

- - - Updated - - -

What I find interesting is the response I am getting from customers. I have had several comment that they thought the 'New" NSX was already on the market and on the street. They thought they saw one at my shop when it was a old NSX.
I guess that's what the Superbowl/Seinfeld ads did and when I tell "no new NSX yet" they always screw of their faces and looked puzzled. I go to tell them one "might" be released in 2015 but even that is not a sure thing. They always shake their heads like they don't understand and are confused.
I think Acura already accomplished the sizzle they wanted. Sadly, I don't believe the car will be brought to market.
IMO they are just waiting for the right set of circumstances, economic or otherwise to announce it is being shelved again and save face about another cancellation of this car. Another "we wanted to but because of_________ we can't right now".

Doubtful

Back