• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Plans to Limit Sales to No More than 800/Year

I have no doubt this car will come to market and sooner than expected. This doesn't feel anything like the last ones Ill take bets if any of you are willing! :)

Last edited:
ALMS LMP1 category using the ARX-01e powered by the HPD 3.4 liter V8 engine.

Well they are racing it in ALMS and JGTC it can't be all that slow unless the race cars are just completely different.

- - - Updated - - -

The ILX is really a failure since Japanese really are bent on delivering their lowest end model as a POS.

Look at the Benz CLA starting at $29k.

Sure at that price you get 120HP for people that are not into power.

but that car loos 1000x more sexy than anything from Asia or even here in the states for that price.

800 a year is not from Honda, and I'm pertty certain that if they can move more than 800 a year, they will.

The original NSX was slated for 24 cars a day, and they doubled it due to demand the first year. If there is money to be made, they'll be stupid not to produce the car.

Than again, if the car don't deliver in performances, no one will by it.

It has to best the GTR in every aspect other than interior space.

That's the thing Vance it bugs me that they're doing all the frou frou but no numbers. Why should I rush or even put a deposit on something knowing Acuras current record? Tell me some engine stats? Everyone else has released their stats before talking limited availability. What did we get ...interior shots?? Happy as I am interior shots ain't cuttin it!

The issue as I see it is more in the styling of their models than anything else. As the article noted aptly, Acura is seen as a value car (noted it in another thread!). But Acura needs to step away from Honda's shadows - which they did in the early years.

Wholeheartedly agree. The issue is in styling. Every other perceived mistake can be covered under the skin of a beautiful exterior (at least for a little while). Acura's engineering is phenomenal but the styling is, by conventional wisdom, just ok. But we've seen evidence of this for a bit haven't we? Either design apathy or weak/little direction from management. I believe the latter.

To be frank, they've been hamstrung by The Great Recession and the tsunami. Financially, they're fighting for their life. Gross profit margin in '11 was great (at 25.5% vs. 15.3%, way above industry average) but their net pre tax was very close to the industry average (3.2% vs. 2.6%). Which means that they incurred a ton of non-operating expenses and interest. Automobile sales make up 73% of Honda's business and they operated at a loss last year. Things will need to change or at least show signs of change before Honda makes a major shift in redesigning their lineup. They just need to get back in their fiscal feet again.

Their '13 annual report is coming out soon so we'll see if there's encouraging news.

On paper, Good looks(to some), efficient V6 350+-HP, AWD, Electric motors and battery all combined is really groundbreaking---------------for 2010.

This new NSX is going to be a day late and dollar short. Is Acura aware that there are $45,000 Camaro's and Boss Mustangs with 425hp, pretty reasonable mpg at 70mph AND they go around the track like lightining? Are they aware that just to be in the supercar game, you need 500HP TO START! Not some 350hp +150hp number either because THE ELECTRIC MOTOR BATTERIES ARE FULLY DEPLETED IN 20 MINUTES!!!!!! What a joke. So you take your HALO car to the track and it's useless by 10:30am and has no more power than a grocery getter. And, once those batteries do go dead, you will probably need to take a break for at least 2 hours for them to charge.

The new NSX needs one thing and one thing only, 650 fucking horsepower, under 3200lbs, AWD and a 2000 watt stereo. (ok that's 3 things). Supercar and batteries go together like a supermodel and locking underware. Are you listening Acura, OF COURSE YOU AREN'T. YOU BARELY HAD TIME TO TAKE A MOMENT TO LISTEN A CURRENT NSX OWNER AT YOUR STUPID AIR CONDITIONED TENT AT THE NEW ORLEANS JAZZ FESTIVAL LAST YEAR. AND I HAVE THE DOUGH TO BUY YOUR NEW CAR.

Supercar and batteries seem to go ok together these days, many manufacturers are going the hybrid route including ferrari, Porsche, and Mclaren. What goes together a lot less than supercar and batteries is supercar and a V6 IMO. I agree with you kookoo that these power numbers we are hearing.... for a supercar in 2015... will be quite anemic. They don't want déjà vu again I hope.

Honda really does its homework; they’re really in touchwith U.S. consumers,” Kevin Tynan, Bloomberg Industries auto analyst,said Feb. 19<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>
That statement really pisses me off! Honda/Acura stopped listening to their customers a long time ago. We in North American have been clamoring for years that Honda needs to up its game. I am so tired of the "environmentally friendly" 4 and 6 cylinder FWD cars that Honda keeps throwing at us! Let the Acura brand be the crazy drunk uncle that everyone wants to party with and give us the V8s V10's with 350+ HP and RWD or AWD that Toyota/Lexus and Nissan,Hyundai and the German manufactures are already giving us and give Acura a fighting chance!

We are Americans! We love the big numbers! Given the choice,an average consumer would look at the RLX 310 hp V6 ($48,450) and a Hyundai Genesis with 430 hp V8 ($46,800) and not give a rats ass as to the overall quality of the vehicles and 8 out of 10 times buy the Hyundai or the Lexus or the .....with the bigger motor, RWD and more HP.

They keep saying that is not what the American consumer wants. Well guess what,THAT is exactly why Acura is getting it's arse kicked

Last edited:
Not to mention, you can go into a Hyundai dealer and negotiate down close to 30 (34 MSRP) on a genesis. So both V6 models, the RLX is $14,000 more money. Yes, the Acura is better but $14,000 will get you a genesis and an accent as a bonus.

the new nsx has to come to life. acura's dying brand and image needs this car to be successful to stay in the game.

I have no doubt this car will come to market and sooner than expected. This doesn't feel anything like the last ones Ill take bets if any of you are willing! :)

- - - Updated - - -

agreed on all points.

]

The ILX is really a failure since Japanese really are bent on delivering their lowest end model as a POS.

Look at the Benz CLA starting at $29k.

Sure at that price you get 120HP for people that are not into power.

but that car loos 1000x more sexy than anything from Asia or even here in the states for that price.

Here is what I don't understand. Why does Acura assume that if I want the sportier ILX in the 6spd manual I would not want a Navigation/Tech Package? The bigger 2.4L with a manual option is not available with the Tech Package which has the basics like Navigation, BT, etc...

I was about to suck it up and buy a mediocre ILX for the GF because she's insistent on a manual but it must also have some semblance of a tech package. The fact that Navigation isn't available on the ILX with a 6spd drives me up the wall. Lexus also employs the same bogus strategy.

I'm sure it's some dumb issue in regards to strategic price points between their models. @#$%!@#$$!@#$

i wonder if bmw is the same with their 3 series 6 spds.

Here is what I don't understand. Why does Acura assume that if I want the sportier ILX in the 6spd manual I would not want a Navigation/Tech Package? The bigger 2.4L with a manual option is not available with the Tech Package which has the basics like Navigation, BT, etc...

I was about to suck it up and buy a mediocre ILX for the GF because she's insistent on a manual but it must also have some semblance of a tech package. The fact that Navigation isn't available on the ILX with a 6spd drives me up the wall. Lexus also employs the same bogus strategy.

I'm sure it's some dumb issue in regards to strategic price points between their models. @#$%!@#$$!@#$

i wonder if bmw is the same with their 3 series 6 spds.
My brother has the new F30 328is with the M-Sport option in a 6spd with Navigation. It's a super fun car to drive. Though at only ~3k miles it's already had a warm, red carpet, visit to the dealership - no thanks.

The German business model - pamper your buyers/owners when something does go wrong (inevitably) and the customer's think the dealerships are doing them a favor. LOL

Last edited:
Honda really does its homework; they’re really in touchwith U.S. consumers,” Kevin Tynan, Bloomberg Industries auto analyst,said Feb. 19<o:p></o>
That statement really pisses me off! Honda/Acura stopped listening to their customers a long time ago. We in North American have been clamoring for years that Honda needs to up its game. I am so tired of the "environmentally friendly" 4 and 6 cylinder FWD cars that Honda keeps throwing at us! Let the Acura brand be the crazy drunk uncle that everyone wants to party with and give us the V8s V10's with 350+ HP and RWD or AWD that Toyota/Lexus and Nissan,Hyundai and the German manufactures are already giving us and give Acura a fighting chance!

We are Americans! We love the big numbers! Given the choice,an average consumer would look at the RLX 310 hp V6 ($48,450) and a Hyundai Genesis with 430 hp V8 ($46,800) and not give a rats ass as to the overall quality of the vehicles and 8 out of 10 times buy the Hyundai or the Lexus or the .....with the bigger motor, RWD and more HP.

They keep saying that is not what the American consumer wants. Well guess what,THAT is exactly why Acura is getting it's arse kicked

Well, to be frank, you may have misinterpreted that portion of the article. The person being quoted is comparing Honda and Acura and that "Honda" is in touch with their customers but that Acura is "anonymous."

And Acura isn't necessarily getting it's ass kicked. They've had record sales in '12 and are up 13.2% in January '13. That said, I'm not sure if the RLX is going to be sell any better than the outgoing model. Interior is good, features awesome, end design....ho hum.

I was about to suck it up and buy a mediocre ILX for the GF because she's insistent on a manual but it must also have some semblance of a tech package. The fact that Navigation isn't available on the ILX with a 6spd drives me up the wall.

Well according to automotive "expert" and bloomberg analyst Kevin Tynan, it's because "Acura is really in touch with American consumers"

The price tag will automatically limit NSX sales. There is no need to place an arbitrary limit. The last Generation NSX sales were so low they cancelled production, sadly. I really hope that Acura will sell as many as they can, and use the profits from the sales to improve future Generations of models so they keep getting better. This is what Nissan is doing with the GT-R. It is so hard to catch up with them now.

The price tag will automatically limit NSX sales. There is no need to place an arbitrary limit. The last Generation NSX sales were so low they cancelled production, sadly. I really hope that Acura will sell as many as they can, and use the profits from the sales to improve future Generations of models so they keep getting better. This is what Nissan is doing with the GT-R. It is so hard to catch up with them now.
The thing is I don't think Honda will make any real profit on the NSX. These types of cars hardly ever do.

The thing is I don't think Honda will make any real profit on the NSX. These types of cars hardly ever do.

If they spend the kinda moula that they did then to build it now...they won't ..but if they use an existing plant with some mix and match parts, more robotic involvement..they might get much closer to break even.

This is so True. Acura not even close to Infiniti!

If they spend the kinda moula that they did then to build it now...they won't ..but if they use an existing plant with some mix and match parts, more robotic involvement..they might get much closer to break even.

One of the top Acura execs at a preview noted about 80% of all Acuras are made in the US and their target is to make it pretty much 100%; they are already exporting from the US to China and Asia. The Exec noted that Acura is a US brand/market. Whether the new NSX will be built in one of the US plants not clear.

That is a false statement. Honda sold half of the total 180,000 NSXs during the first two years of it's production. If that didn't happen, NSX would have been a true dud.

However, no car company with a right business practice will limit the production of a $100k car if there is a demand. NSX 2.0 will not be a limited edition one shot wonder like the Carrera GT, F40, F50, Enzo, etc. It is a regular production vehicle like any other Honda and they will sell as many as the market demands it.

That is a false statement. Honda sold half of the total 180,000 NSXs during the first two years of it's production.

Uh, you need to proof read this. Too many zeros.:wink:

I don't think they'll actually bring the car to market.
If they do, and make only 800, world wide, I still am willing to bet they linger at the US dealerships waiting for buyers.

At this point, I think the NSX 2.0 has lost a lot of its luster. We are a bunch of NSX fanbois but honestly, I don't see why there should be so much buzz about it from the car community in general. Yes, the original was (and is) a masterpiece. But Honda started the hype machine way too early for this car--they should have had something ready for delivery quickly after their Feb 2012 Super Bowl commercials.

Already, I have heard of other sports cars combining hybrid technology that will beat the NSX 2.0 to the market. That was supposed to be one of the hallmarks of the car, one that would make it a unique selling point. I do think that Honda can bring a reliable supercar but I think reliability is better now in exotics and other high performance cars--making it less of a selling point.

Also, performance is so amazing in all cars now that it's not like it can take the bar any higher. And anything less than the GTR (which has set the standard) will disappoint. People will compare Japanese supercar to Japanese supercar. Styling is subjective but I think the Italians still look more exotic than the latest concept.

I know a lot of you want this car (and I'm intrigued being an NSX guy) but I don't really care if it ever comes to the market. If the NSX remains a one-production car, I will be more than happy with that. In fact, if they rebrand or rename it as something than an NSX that would be preferable.

If the NSX remains a one-production car, I will be more than happy with that. In fact, if they rebrand or rename it as something than an NSX that would be preferable.

This is actually exactly what I've thought all along about this concept. The NSX 2.0 just isn't true to the spirit of the NSX. If they wanna call this something else like what happened with the ASC/HSC/whatever, that's fine. Hell, even go NSC. However to call it an NSX links it back to a well-established car with a relatively safe spot in automotive history... and an unsuccessful second generation may be just enough to drag it off the pedestal.

Back