• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftercooler for the Comptech SC

Just wondering is there an aftermarket gauge that can monitor the {IAT} Intake Air Temperature. If there is one avilable where is the sensor mounted?

thanks

I have an AEM serial gauge that monitors IAT as a readout from the AEM. Just another option. I like the peak memory feature for checking the highest reading.

A little off topic here but does anyone know if Comptech or any other vendor would sell all the parts to the comptech SC without the blower and electronics?

Would be a nice option for someone who wants to run a bigger blower and use the AEM FIC - this would include the cooler that is being discussed here in this thread... With this cooler it seems plausable now to run a larger SC instead of Comptechs 1.6 liter unit and not damage a standard 3.0 or 3.2 liter engine... (lets say 11 psi boost to just throw a number out there)

Any thoughts; prices?

Many times I thought there would be a market for "universal manifold" and pulley system you could use for any size screw type charger. Shad quickly brought me back to reality when he told me of the cost of the cast manifold and the machining that it needs after casting. He also mentioned the fact I forgot about the snout needed between the TB and the charger would be different for each charger. The pulleys would all have a different bolt patterns and different manifold mounting plates would be needed for different chargers.:frown:

The two pieces that might work are the cast manifold and the pulley bracket unit.:smile:

Joe

Okay, with that being said would it be far to say that this cooler as remarkable and wonderful as it is (I mean this in the most respectable way) would only be useful to those with a custom SC kit. I'm guessing here so feel free to correct me but I break it down like this.

Comptech 1.6lt SC kit - makes about 90-100hp at the crank
Intercooler - makes ? addititional at the crank via cooling the charge temp and upping the boost
(Let's say your looking for power levels a little north of 400hp at the crank on a standard 3.0 or 3.2 engine)

I'm not thinking you could push the 1.6lt unit much further than 10lbs without the air temperature sky rocketing to above 200+ degrees. I wonder though if this cooler will be able to lets say take this 200 degree temperature and drop it to 120-160 degrees at heat soak or even lower at the above mentioned performance targets.

In the end, regardless of what your heat level is, it will boil down to the volume of air your pushing so what type of real power gains could we expect from this system for someone that has the standard CT SC unit if the temps could be controlled resulting in a denser air charge (more volume per pound)... There is a point of no return on reward (point of no return) that I would like to understand based on the above criteria, basically the CT SC.

Lastely, and most importantly, thanks to Shad with Driving Ambitions for taking the time to put this cooler together, as stated above he picked up the ball and ran with it unlike Comptech - quality of work is outstanding, Shad you're a true craftsman!!!!

Last edited:
Shad at Driving Ambitions put it together and like everthing he does it is first class.

Your description is correct and the cooler will work for Comptech systems with some modification. The returns can be very rewarding by hitting higher boost earlier in the RPM range with a smaller pulley.Temps that allow more timing and "cool" air power increases(I think from increase density). Motor health is also a benefit from the cooler temps.

I can tell you from first hand expierence with this setup how much fun the car is when it hits 9-10 lbs of boost at 3500 RPM.

Joe

Last edited:
I am game for one. I picked up a whipple 1.6 today for my car. Current onwer runs the 9lb pulley with a custom fabed intercooler, engine mods from comptech and aftermarket ECU.

I will use the standard pulley with factory ECU until I get the this unit and an aftermarket engine mangmt system, injectors and other goodies to avoid any problems. I will then probably jump up to the 9lb pulley and let er' rip:)

Let me know what I need to do to get you the funds you need for my unit.

regards

camber_combover
You haven't replyed to my pm about your supercharger.
Are you keeping it now?
Whats your name?
Your new to this forum it appears.
Are you a car dealer?
Where are you from?
I see you like coins.
Hope your enjoying your nsx.
Is it the one you have for sale here?
Have you changed your mind and are keeping it?
Did you get that charger for 5-6k like your where hoping to?
Its nice to see you here and that your moding the car up.
That cool boost will certainly be a joy to you.
You'll be one of the first
Enjoy
Trev
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=958409#post958409
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102720

Best Match Oversize Undersize
SPRINTEX S3-335 WHIPPLE 1600 AUTOROTOR OA3133 Designed by: Greg Barr
Enter values in white squares to calculate results

Engine Capacity (litres) Maximum RPM Boost Required (kpa) Litres of air consumed per second naturally aspirated
3 8000 69 186.00
Select best match from drop down list below Litres of air required per second for boost
(Cubic in) (lb) 128.34
183.07 10.1 TOTAL Litres of air required per second
LYSHOLM 1600 TOTAL Litres of air required per minute
Supercharger Displacement Supercharger Max RPM 18,860
1.60 (litres per rev) 13,500
Power output at sea level 12.5:1 Air Fuel Ratio
Horsepower Kilowatts Total air flow cfm
401 299 666
Supercharger RPM Increase Boost or Max RPM Drive Ratio Req
11,788 FALSE 1.47
Within desired range Low drive ratio
Engine modification or intercooling required

Yes, from 10 pounds looks like 400 hp at 11,788 rpm but you do need the cooling!!!
Trev

Can we see some higher resolution pictures? It sounds pretty promising :)

Sorry, I was just excited that day about all this supercharger talk and all the h.p. coming around.
I had no one to talk to I guess.
Lonely Trev.

Just wondering is there an aftermarket gauge that can monitor the {IAT} Intake Air Temperature. If there is one avilable where is the sensor mounted?

thanks

If you have OBD II connector on your car (I think NSX '95-up) you can use this:
http://www.scangauge.com/products/

I put one in my '98 CTSC last week (just think of a place to stick on and plug in, cannot get easier).
Can be used as a OBD error code reader, can give you info from almost all onboard sensors and can act as a tripcomputer too :smile:
Very versatile piece of kit, and cheap!! pricing in region of U$160-190, the newest version can even display your A/F info from the OE Lambda sensors! I like it:biggrin:

looks like a winner here. the s/c has enough displacement for the engine (a 3.5 yes!) and the i/c plenty of capacity.

the important thing here is in boost cooling and recovery.

if iats are 95 or so at start of pulls and peak 130 then back down to 95 in 10 seconds or so, then the i/c and heat exchanger are kicking ass.

a charger this size on 3.5 liters is a decent match and near ambient temps at start with just a 30 degree climb at under 10 psi is excellent. bouncing back that fast after a pull is also excellent. road race on this car should be entirely possible with an endurance tune.

props out there for a well thought 'change' to the nsx.

now, let's see an LS6 stroker with a .600 cam and 12:1 pistons.

mmmm, displacement.......

Back