• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

air tool recommendation?

ANYTIME said:
As always, I go for the Costco stuff! You get the forever warranty, which is priceless....... :biggrin:

I didn't see anything on Costco website. Can you give me an idea of the pricing/spec?

You'll need to visit the store, as the online is not the whole product line. Product also varies from store to store. My compressor is the stand up, 30 gallon type and was priced @ $299 (if memory serves me correctly). I can take a look if you'd like on the smaller ones and also the airtool packages they have.
Take care,
John :smile:
00916731000-190.jpg

Last edited:
Volume is very important for an air compressor. 6.5 gallons is not a good choice. I had a 20gal, a little small, now a 30gal. I would look at a 30 for sure. That $299 price sounds good. Also lately they are making "oilless" compressors. They are good in regard to maintenance, but louder then the oiled type. I put a baffle on mine:).

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
They have a new a compressor made by Ingersoll Rand that is awesome.
It is as quite as a home refrigerator. It is incredibly energy efficient. Cost is a bit more but wow wait until you see and don't hear it work.

http://www.air.ingersoll-rand.com/IS/product.asp/id/50,188,51,77

That thing looks like a monster! After looking around, my friend showed me this one.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916870000

I think this is quality stuff and plus come with wrenches so I may settle with this one. The only thing I don't like is the weight and size. I guess I have to compromise some...

ANYTIME said:
As always, I go for the Costco stuff! You get the forever warranty, which is priceless....... :biggrin:

Are you saying Costco would take this thing back (or anything purchased from there) after any length of time? Even on stuff like this? Refund or credit? Holy Cow!

as for a compressor, I got a 30-gal Craftsman and I love it...and as for air tools, I also go with Craftsman....that way, if it breaks; I just take it to a local Sears store and exchange it... :wink:

I just finished my new garage addition (extra two bays) with a full size twin post lift in one bay and I bought the Champion 5HP Advantage series compressor:

http://www.tptools.com/prod_list_di...sors&mscssid=RQBWBQ17R4MV8LCKVKHJGQWLSSCUBS67

These some of, if not the best American made units available. They are sold by most automotive shop equipment suppiers (check the local yellow pages), the people who sell, install and service lifts etc.

I payed $1565 for mine delivered. I know this is serious money but this is also a serious piece of equipment that will last a life time and then some. I do run a bead blast cabinet (read uses a lot of air) off of it and it catches up with even it's air needs. Note that the pump is turning at 805 rpm's so it makes very very little noise. Best machine I have ever owned.

rjp said:
Are you saying Costco would take this thing back (or anything purchased from there) after any length of time? Even on stuff like this? Refund or credit? Holy Cow!

The main reason to keep the receipt is spelled out below.

Say you bought a Craftsman compressor in 2002 for $299 and you decide to take advantage of the return policy and upgrade to the new oilless version eyeballing you on the shelf. You decide to take the compressor back and.......

A. With a receipt - You get every penny back of your $299 purchase. Score!

B. With no receipt - You get back the lowest price it sold for, no matter what you payed. It happened to get marked down in 2003 to $229 and that's what your getting back. Kinda good

C. After 5 years with receipt - You get every penny back of the $299. Score!

D. After 5 years without a receipt - Most of the time, it has been purged out of the system at this point. If they can find records of the item (not likely at this point), you get the lowest price it sold for. < I would not suggest doing this

NSXSOON said:
I just finished my new garage addition (extra two bays) with a full size twin post lift in one bay and I bought the Champion 5HP Advantage series compressor:

http://www.tptools.com/prod_list_di...sors&mscssid=RQBWBQ17R4MV8LCKVKHJGQWLSSCUBS67

These some of, if not the best American made units available. They are sold by most automotive shop equipment suppiers (check the local yellow pages), the people who sell, install and service lifts etc.

I payed $1565 for mine delivered. I know this is serious money but this is also a serious piece of equipment that will last a life time and then some. I do run a bead blast cabinet (read uses a lot of air) off of it and it catches up with even it's air needs. Note that the pump is turning at 805 rpm's so it makes very very little noise. Best machine I have ever owned.
It is a very nice piece of equipment,( I have one for my shop) but it is overkill for home mechanics. The size alone would frighten small children, and it is not protable. OTOH, you will have the best compressor among all your friends.

Back