• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

aluminum corrosion

Aluminum does not rust, but it does corrode.

Have any NSX owners seen any evidence of aluminum corrosion on their cars?

If so, on what part(s) of the car?

Technically I believe rust is corrosion :D

I live close to salt water so it is nice to have a car that that really doesn't affect too much.

Aluminum does not rust, but it does corrode.

Have any NSX owners seen any evidence of aluminum corrosion on their cars?

If so, on what part(s) of the car?

Dood, I'm not sure what your question is? Rust is corrosion.

Is your question: What on the NSX deteriorates due to corrosion??

Answer: nothing aluminum.

AL will oxidize (corrode), but that oxidation forms a coating that arrests further oxidation. So once your AL is oxidized: done deal. Don't worry about it as that is now the protective covering.

I suspect you mean "rust" is corrosion that does not stop at the outer layer and will destroy any untreated metal until there is none left?

Doesn't really apply to the NSX, don't worry about it...that is the beauty of it it. It doesn't deteroriate.

drew said:
Is your question: What on the NSX deteriorates due to corrosion??

Answer: nothing aluminum.

Wrong! (Well sort of) Aluminum is susceptible to galvanic corrosion. This occurs when metals having different electrochemical properties come in contact with each other. The NSX uses specially coated steel bolts in many places for this special reason. You can also experience galvanic corrosion inside of your engine and entire cooling system if you are not very careful about changing/adding coolant and replacing the existing coolant regularly

As you mentioned above, the good part though is that unlike iron which will continue to rust until it's dissolved, when aluminum rusts it forms a protective coating with similar chemical properties as sapphire which protects the underlying aluminum from further deterioration. "Anodized" aluminum is treated with acid to force an extra thick protective coating of rust.

STFW for galvanic corrosion

Wrong! (Well sort of) Aluminum is susceptible to galvanic corrosion

I misstated, I realize that AL can be worn complete away. I'm trying to figure out what his question actually is and trying to answer in those terms.

He seems to drawing a parallel of the following:
Steel/Iron oxidizes and causes rust.
Rust is damaging because it can completely deteriorate the item completely.

Therefore, his premise seems to be: "While AL doesn't rust, it does oxidize." What on the NSX that is AL completely deteriorates via oxidation (like rust).

Maybe westernb4 can shed some light on what his question actually is?

I have a '91 which originally lived in southern California; then Arizona; and for the last 4 years in Western Canada where I drive it in the Winter....137K miles in total. Oddly enought, the only part that I've noticed significant corrosion on is the trunk latch and the electrical box on the firewall just above the a/c compressor. The only thing I've noticed actually rust on is the battery tray and exhaust components.

Technically rust is an oxide of iron, while corrosion is a general term referring to the oxidation of any metal. Galvanic corrosion is driven by the potential difference between 2 materials in the presence of an electrolyte. However, aluminum oxidizes so fast galvanic corrosion isn't really an issue. Aluminum will oxidize so fast on its own that if you break an aluminum bar underwater, the new surfaces will pull O2 out of the water, and H2 bubbles will form. No other metal is required for this to happen. As stated, this oxidation tends to protect the underlying substate, preventing further conversion. Al oxide doesn't tend to scale like rust does.

Don't try this on your NSX but take a piece of aluminum and spill some mercury on it. :)

There's a reason they don't allow mercury thermometers on aircraft.

Oxidation is also reffered to as "rusting" is a chemical reaction that involves a metal combining with an Oxygen atom to form an oxide. Oxidation will happen independent of another metal being present. Salt water and fresh water or even pure water actually slow the oxidation reaction down. Oxidation is actually at its most aggressive when a metal is exposed to air.

During the course of continuing my flying as a hobby, I come across a few older aircraft which do get the "bubbling" of the paintwork like cars with rust get. But like has been said above here, once Aluminium has oxidised, it form a protective coating which prevents further corrosion. Galvanic corrosion is deiierent though...

Galvanic corrosion cannot take place without the presence of an electrolyte. Without an electrolyte there can be no electron flow!

The potential for galvanic corrosion is a measure of how dissimilar metals will corrode when placed against each other in an assembly. Metals close to one another on the Galvanic chart generally do not have a strong effect on one another, but the farther apart any two metals are separated, the stronger the corroding effect on the one higher in the list. The presence of an electrolyte (eg. "salt" water, is any water containing dissolved ions) is necessary for galvanic corrosion.

Last edited:
The manufacturers of the NSX considered galvanic corrosion as an issue and evidence of this concern are throughout the vehicle. Preferred procedures for repair as outlined in their technical manuals underscore this concern.

Classes training in aluminum repair in automobiles consider corrosion specifically, galvanic corrosion the major issue and concern.

To your original question, for the unmolested NSX, IMO, corrosion on the body of the car should not be a reality in your lifetime, even if you are very young.:smile:

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
The manufacturers of the NSX considered galvanic corrosion as an issue and evidence of this concern are throughout the vehicle. Preferred procedures for repair as outlined in their technical manuals underscore this concern.

Classes training in aluminum repair in automobiles consider corrosion specifically, galvanic corrosion the major issue and concern.

This is very true! If you get any steel dust on a bare aluminium surface, and then paint it, you will get galvanic corrosion happening to the Aluminium surface before the paint dries! In some cases you only need a few minutes of electrolytic action for pitting of the surface to occur. Other areas will have coated bolts and nylon washers insulating the dissimilar metals.

However, you will note that it is for external areas of the car that may get wet. See, rain water still contains enough dissolved ions travelling through the atmosphere to work as an electrolyte, as would water containing disolved salt from salted roads.

Honda were not as concerned with areas inside the cabin which will not get wet. Inside the cabin you will find the same rules were not followed with steel intrusion bars bolted directly to aluminium.

Hello, im looking at purchasing a 2001 targa nsx with 50000 miles on it, it has two tiny spots of paint which has bubbled over the o/s rear wheel arch and near the vin plate which looks very similar to rust bubbles on a steel car so it does worry me

if the nsx is all aluminium then why is this happening and is it something i should be worried about?

ive done a lot of reading about aluminioum oxidisation but it still worries me

any advice would be appreciated

I would say that if there are bubbles on the fender, then this area was repainted due to some type of collision.

I'm sure Joe can comment on the quality of the body work and paint on an NSX, but it is excellent from the factory.

Bram

Back