• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

And so it begins...the Quest for 200 in an NSX.

This is actually a goal I had for my NSX as well. I would like to make it a true 200mph supercar. I think I am pretty close to achieving this goal. I purchased and installed a 6 speed transmission with the regular 4.06 final drive, which in theory should top out at 203mph when it hits redline. I've also lightened the car to 2700lbs to help the car accelerate a bit faster. Only thing left is power increase which I'm assuming I need at least 425whp to achieve a top speed of 200mph. Hopefully I can do the power upgrade in a year or two. I want to spend more time on driver mods for now :D.

Probably mentioned already but the 02 front is more aerodynamic and would really help here. And those sideviews can go.

I think you'll need more than 425rwh to break a 2 handle

425rwhp translate to about 488hp at the crank. I believe 476hp at the crank is actually where you'll hit 200mph drag limit for the NSX aero characteristics. It's been a while since I did the calculation but it's somewhere around there. I should check it again just to make sure.

Weight doesn't play a huge factor in terminal velocity, and probably not much of an appreciable acceleration difference either.

Agree with the first part but removing 10% of the weight off the car will definitely help with acceleration even if it's not a drastic difference it still helps reach that terminal velocity just a bit quicker.

Probably mentioned already but the 02 front is more aerodynamic and would really help here. And those sideviews can go.

The 02 front definitely would help and also remove about an additional 25lbs of weight too. It's something which I've kind of considered but man I do love the pop-ups, so it would be a hard for me to part way with it. I have to say seeing your NSX in person has made me a little more open to the change though :D.

Last edited:
If 488hp is needed to hit 200mph, then he will need more with his draggier widebody. Drag becomes the primary opponent in acceleration very early on, so a 300lb/10% weight reduction will help acceleration at low speeds, you will quickly be battling pushing the car through the air and the vehicles weight becomes somewhat irrelevant. Any small change in frontal area or drag will make a far bigger difference in acceleration than weight at triple digit speeds.

I hope someone will get to 200mph on a standing mile in an NSX. Would take a ton of power though. I did the Texas Mile in 2014 in my ProCharged 2013 Mustang GT. That car was heavy, not very aerodynamic, but it did have 575 RWHP. I trapped 167 MPH on my street tune, didn't get a chance to run my race tune which was the 575 RWHP tune. It takes a lot to get to 200 MPH. This is actually a goal of mine, but I don't see my NSX being the car to do it in lol.

Now that I have the LS powered SS Sedan...maybe I'll strive to be the first to do it in a Chevy Sedan.

SOS supercharged, Inter cooled , 10 lb boost (408 RWH) =199mph
+ 100 HP NOS = 206 mph

4 mile run last mile 18 sec 12 sec from 195 to 206

6/25/2015
Did you actually run this or is it calculations because with 403rwhp I was right at redline at 185mph so you would have to change gearing or redline to make it to those numbers.

The radio was at 97.7

nice response to a good question asked by a pro racer who will be competing at a little 24 hour race in France for Ford......

our points of view should be aligned by the thread topic...simple math.....and how one gets to 200mph is very important

on the internet on a public forum everything should be viewed through the prism of doubt.....performance milestones and benchmarks need support with data, honesty and integrity.

Your effective gear ratio is a product of transmission ratios, final drive, and wheel diameter. Combined with RPM, it determines your theoretical top speed. They are simple and are the key factors that determine top speed so it would be nice if you would share your setup.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity using 2002 NSX body
71.3 inches wide.
.32 Cd x 19.2 frontal area = 6.13 CdA

Can someone guestimate these numbers improved with mods?

lowered car
underbody aero panels
smaller mirrors
AC vents plugged
Diffuser
Maybe smaller radiator opening plug for high speed runs

Interestingly I read the original Pinnafarina ugly HPX (nsx first design) had a Cd of .25. Which is incredible

Last edited:
Lowering the car 2" should only reduce the frontal area of the tires by 2". So if you have a 8" wide tire: 8x2" x2 = 32sq-in reduction, I don't think the air under the car counts as frontal area.

I edited post with the wrong 2" math. And it was only up for a min.... but then deleted when i realised that 1 min before your post... man your fast.. :) don't miss anything..

so frontal area reduced by 32sqin, (.22 sqft) but the Cd improves by unkown factor with 2 lowering.

Last edited:
4.06 ECU Valve Springs = 206

Your effective gear ratio is a product of transmission ratios, final drive, and wheel diameter. Combined with RPM, it determines your theoretical top speed. They are simple and are the key factors that determine top speed so it would be nice if you would share your setup.

I think ricky is saying he has valve springs and raised RPM limiter to acthive speed with 5-speed transmission (or he has 6-speed and the ECU/valves are just for more power). If he's raised the RPM limit I hope he has billet oil pump gear also.

Back