• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any "independents" doing Tming Belt/Water Pump

OTTO HONDA SERVICE.... KCMO $300.00 you can provide the parts. HONDA only repairs by factory trained people.. 2 own NSX's.. JD I sold #7052 PANTERA GTS, I no longer belong to the multi-brand mid engine club. I am working on a NSX / MR2 swap so who knows..

OTTO HONDA SERVICE.... KCMO $300.00 you can provide the parts. HONDA only repairs by factory trained people.. 2 own NSX's.. JD I sold #7052 PANTERA GTS, I no longer belong to the multi-brand mid engine club. I am working on a NSX / MR2 swap so who knows..

That is a heck of a drive from North Carolina on an old timing belt! :)
I was hoping for something a little more "local" to Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC

Well of course I was just trying to be helpful... HA! Just loader on up, on a C-147 and drop in. JD

Tom,

I know Steve is trying to allow more time for NSX service. I would give him a call before seeking out other mechanics.

John

Tom,

I know Steve is trying to allow more time for NSX service. I would give him a call before seeking out other mechanics.

John

No email response...I don't want to bother him (maybe I have an old eddress).
Anyway, any other reliable options in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem area?

Tom,

Are you mechanically inclined? I did this service myself twice ... in one month!

It really is not that hard. If you have the patince and take your time it will take you maybe a full day. If you are familiar with doing mechnic work ... maybe 4 hours at the most.

I have ALL the tools if you need them. Crank pully tool, valve adjustment tools (if you plan to do them), cam pins (to hold cams in place) and large paper clip springs (to hold TB in place).

The toughest part of the entire project is removing the belt cover bolts then removing the rear cover. What's even more frustrating is getting the rear cover back in. But if you take your time ... it will all fall into place

There is a great DYI in the wiki area (or I can email it to you) and the if you have the shop manual the job is easy! I have the shop manual as well if needed.

Just let me know if you want to borrow the tools, manuals or what ever and I will be more then happy to somehow get them to you.

Good luck!

Darrin

Tom,

Are you mechanically inclined? I did this service myself twice ... in one month!

It really is not that hard. If you have the patince and take your time it will take you maybe a full day. If you are familiar with doing mechnic work ... maybe 4 hours at the most.

I have ALL the tools if you need them. Crank pully tool, valve adjustment tools (if you plan to do them), cam pins (to hold cams in place) and large paper clip springs (to hold TB in place).

The toughest part of the entire project is removing the belt cover bolts then removing the rear cover. What's even more frustrating is getting the rear cover back in. But if you take your time ... it will all fall into place

There is a great DYI in the wiki area (or I can email it to you) and the if you have the shop manual the job is easy! I have the shop manual as well if needed.

Just let me know if you want to borrow the tools, manuals or what ever and I will be more then happy to somehow get them to you.

Good luck!

Darrin
Same car twice? :)
Good idea...and I should try it myself...but my ultimate goal is to watch the independent or get someone with experience to show me how its done...and I don't really have the time right now. I'm also concerned about "learning" on the NSX.

Same car twice? :)
Good idea...and I should try it myself...but my ultimate goal is to watch the independent or get someone with experience to show me how its done...and I don't really have the time right now. I'm also concerned about "learning" on the NSX.

Yes the same car twice!

I had a sensor decide to stop working on the front cam bank (which is located behind TB pulley a month after I just did the TB and WP. So what do you know I had to take all a part once again! It went MUCH faster the second time.

Nothing to be scared about with learning on the NSX. I had no experience with the NSX TB and or WP rreplacement, but I did have experience doing other cars. If you follow the DYI and the shop manual it's hard to mess up.

If you change your mind, loaning the tools etc. still stands. Just let me know.

Darrin

I did get an e-mail response from Steve to my inquiry about his time for NSX work. Seems he just had some recent bad luck (mechanical) with his truck (expensive repairs). While he didn't directly respond to my question about TB/WP work on 3 NSX's in the area, he did indicate that he may have about a 3 month break in the fall.

Not sure how urgent your service interval is, but I'll try to get an idea from Steve just what he is thinking time-wise as far as fitting these into his schedule.

Regards, John

There is a factory Acura NSX tech who has set up his own shop here in the Tri Cities of NE Tennessee. He did the timing belt and valves on mine, it is Import Pro, 423-863-7150. 6709 Kingsport Highway. IMO, he does good work.

Last edited:
I did get an e-mail response from Steve to my inquiry about his time for NSX work. Seems he just had some recent bad luck (mechanical) with his truck (expensive repairs). While he didn't directly respond to my question about TB/WP work on 3 NSX's in the area, he did indicate that he may have about a 3 month break in the fall.

Not sure how urgent your service interval is, but I'll try to get an idea from Steve just what he is thinking time-wise as far as fitting these into his schedule.

Regards, John

Same here, i need to get my timing belt change done too. He said he will let me know along w labor cost if i bring him all the oem parts.

Back