• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Interest in Right Hand NSX Floor Mats?

MarkC, glad to see you on this forum :wink:

As I noted before, we have enough to make the project a go but first I need to secure the templates. Ideally, a set of really used/old floor mats would be the best way to go - then we can make the templates to the exact measurements of the OEM. I will be happy to pay for the shipping of these mats.

Hrant

Hrant,

I don't have any oem mats myself but I will ask around the UK community to see if we can borrow a set for the template.

There're not that many of us tho' so I can't promise anything.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Henry. Yes, I am still looking for a template otherwise we can't get this project off the ground. Either a cut out template by tracing the OEM RHD or a used one would do.

Do you need a custom made one for yours? If so, let me know and I'll work out a deal if I get the template :wink:

Cheers.

Hrant,

You know what? I've been using the Zanardi floor mats on my RHD for years and they fit very well. In any case, if you still want my jdm oem mats, you can 'borrow' them, just ship them back afterwards :)

Henry.

Henry, I may take up on your offer if all else fails but first, I need to make sure all the interested parties will come through. I was going to say no template no RHD floor mats; but now I will have to say no PayPal commitment, no project :wink:

Do you have a picture of how your Zanardi fits the RHD, or overlaying the RHD floor mats next to or on top of the Zanardi? I know it can't be a perfect or custom fit due to the console and fender wells.

Cheers.

I am happy to commit by paying my money upfront, but I'm not keen to base the mats on the Zanardi mats. If you can get the OEM mats to use as template that would be good. Maybe AU_NSX and I will get together to draw an outline of the Aussie OEM mats as well just to be 100% sure.

NSXclubofAustralia said:
I am happy to commit by paying my money upfront, but I'm not keen to base the mats on the Zanardi mats. If you can get the OEM mats to use as template that would be good. Maybe AU_NSX and I will get together to draw an outline of the Aussie OEM mats as well just to be 100% sure.

I think what Henry was offering was his OEM right hand drive mats since somehow he is able to fit/use the Zanardi mats.

As I said, the OEM RHD mats would be the perfect template if we can get one. Otherwise tracing a template is the next option and then we have to rely on the tracers accuracy. Surely those of you who are looking for a replacemnt must be willing to get rid of the old worn OEM one no? So ship the old worn out OEM to our museum so we get going with project. There appears to be enough interested parties :wink:

Edit: Had the wrong quote!

Last edited:
I'm up for a set 100% but I'm overseas at the moment so can't help with the template.sorry

hrant- can u make it like Type R all red ?? or black with red stitching and red Honda logo ?

hrant- can u make it like Type R all red ?? or black with red stitching and red Honda logo ?

Yes we do offer red carpets but we don't offer the Berber looped style pile, just the same floor mat pile. See here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14931&d=1112549864

The black with red stitching or just red logo (my preferred) is one of our most popular seller. Can't do a Honda logo, but we are thinking of doing this logo in NSX font by about 1"x5" :wink:

TYPE-R

Hrant said:
I'm still waiting for that elusive template to get this project off the ground :wink:

C'mon guys.... What's going on?

Hrant, I am quite emabrrased about this, can't believe no-one in Australia (or England for that matter) has stepped up to the plate with this one yet! :redface:

As you know I'm in India at the moment and will get back to Australia at the end of March (6 weeks time). So, if none of my fellow countrymen have been able to do this then I will send you my OEM ones for the template...

Mike

just dunno...

AU_NSX said:
... I am quite emabrrased about this, can't believe no-one in Australia (or England for that matter) has stepped up to the plate with this one yet!...

Mike

Yea, I'm somewhat dumb-founded by that as well!?! :confused: In the UK/Europe, the NSX'ers seem to have shown preference for a different style floor-mat, made by a local fabricator. I've seen that particular style in person on a few occasions, hence why I surprised at the NSX owners inclination.

nutz...

Hrant said:
The one sold in UK is offered by DTA Motorsport, and only the driver side has reinforced heel. Cost is about $218. You make the comparisons :wink:

Oh, my friend... I compared, I contrasted, and I concluded! :biggrin:

Guess they don't know what they are missing out on... real ironic too, since the English public are rather pretentious about auto carpets in that they are all bourgeous in demanding deep-pile, lamb's wool, wursted, contrasted piping, 'weight'/density, fit-n-finish, shaken-not-stirred, etc'... go figure!?!

Hmm,

Would it be pretentious of me (etc etc) to be pleased to see pics of my car pop up in this thread even if it is in a negative way?

As we discussed on NSXCB I really don't see the problem supporting local manufacturers...

As 25% of my business is export to the USA I know just how hard it is becomng to compete due to various insentives for USA companies not to import - so it hardly seems fair to have a pop at us for doing the same and keeping it local!

Anyway hope the sales go well for you guys.

Here are the details of what the shop found out with the Type - R template.

1) In the lower corners of the mats there are flattened areas of the carpet that are designed to allow the seat tracks to go over them. Our mats are too think for this and instead we will need to cut out the corners for them to fit properly very much like the ones we currently offer. We want to make sure this is alright.

2) These mats have oval shaped grommet holes in them. We do not have oval shaped grommets available. We can mark on our pattern the grommet locations but if the customer requests grommets we can only put round ones in. I will look at the shape of the posts and whether such a round option would work with our grommets. One option would be to cut this part of the mats a little shorter so that it doesn't go over the posts, as they are located on the part of the mats that go under the seats.

Let us know what you think; your suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

Hrant said:
Here are the details of what the shop found out with the Type - R template.

1) In the lower corners of the mats there are flattened areas of the carpet that are designed to allow the seat tracks to go over them. Our mats are too think for this and instead we will need to cut out the corners for them to fit properly very much like the ones we currently offer. We want to make sure this is alright..

No worries...

Hrant said:
2) These mats have oval shaped grommet holes in them. We do not have oval shaped grommets available. We can mark on our pattern the grommet locations but if the customer requests grommets we can only put round ones in. I will look at the shape of the posts and whether such a round option would work with our grommets. One option would be to cut this part of the mats a little shorter so that it doesn't go over the posts, as they are located on the part of the mats that go under the seats.

Let us know what you think; your suggestions are appreciated. TIA.

The oval holes are necessary because of how the floor mat locking mechanism works. Round holes will not work with this mechanism. The holding mechanism is one where you put the mat over the "catch" and you turn the top part of the catch 90 deg and then this locks the mat down so that it can not lift.

Having said that I suppose a grommet that would allow the post to go through would be prefereble to a cutting that section out altogether even if the locking mechanism does not work

The oval holes are necessary because of how the floor mat locking mechanism works. Round holes will not work with this mechanism. The holding mechanism is one where you put the mat over the "catch" and you turn the top part of the catch 90 deg and then this locks the mat down so that it can not lift.

We are going to test a few ideas before finalizing this issue. We have four options.

(a) Offer them without a hole since we are confident that our foam backing will not move. It has been tested for years now with no issues. Not sure how this will affect the male locking mechanism if it is removable from the floor carpeting.

(b) Make pencil size holes in the floor mat and leave it unfinished. The customer would have the option of inserting the male locking mechanism.

(c) Offer the round grommet - either preinstalled or as a kit.

(d) We have a positive locking device that does pretty much the same thing but works differently. The top piece that goes through the floor mat is the male and sits flush with the carpet and snaps into the female which is secured in the floor carpeting. I will soon get a picture to upload. This would work if the current male locking mechanism is removable.

Most OEM floor mats have round holes - we have not encountered oval ones yet. We have also found out that the new Corvettes have a locking mechanism for their floor mats but they are plastic and they are easily breaking. The shop is a licensed GM supplier of floor mats (also car covers, harness pads, fender mats) so we we asked for some grommets. Apparently the grommet and the male counterpart are not replaceable but you have to buy a new floor mat!

We will not change the design of the floor mats where it goes over the rails. For those who have found this to be an issue, we have suggested that they shave a 1"x2" to resolve the height of our more plush pile :wink:

Edit: I just realized that I had received this picture from Grant in Australia of his 1991 model year. Since here in the US the grommets were used only as of 2002, just curious if all later models have the same grommet design elsewhere as well.

Last edited:
Well we got the samples to test the fit, and the shop tried two templates - in quicksilver color which is closest to the OEM gray. The idea was to test the rail/seat motor issue, as well as showcase the three options for the secure down/grommet.

I prefer the top template in the pics below, the one without the cut out since that eliminates the lip that goes under the seat and hence interferes with the motor when the seat is pushed too far to the front. I also recommend not to have a secure down lock or grommet but including the positive locking drive (PLD) as a kit that you may install at your option if you find the mats not secure enough. Ignore the actual location of the PLD on the lower mat. It was placed there to showcase it. The actual locations are the the two black dots on the two edges of lower center of the mats. The backing is foam.

Please note that the PLD is made of plastic and it is not targeted to those who will constantly put and remove the floor mats. The round grommet is still too big but that it is the smallest one that we use for most other floormats that have such a set up.

I also checked with the local Acura dealer regarding the male/hold down for the 02+ floormats here in the US. The part number is 836055L0A00 and retails at $14.12 a piece, and they come in only one piece, not in pairs. However, you can't buy the floor mat grommet separately, you have to buy a pair of floor mats! Some of you may prefer going this route by securing the Acura holder and tinkering/finding the necessary female to mate it with. Testing here in the US without a RHD is a challenge :wink:

HTH. Looking for your final comments. TIA.

Last edited:
We have pretty much finalized the template and are now looking to make the first test run for final testing in an actual RHD NSX. We will use the version without the cut out (top mat in the pics above), without the holes, and offer two PLD as an option.

Interestingly, the RHD floor mats (using the Type R mats for template) are 1/2" wider than the OEM ones sold here in the US!

Just to make sure that the Type R floor mats do not have any distinctively unique measurements, can one of the interested parties give us the width and height of of their OEM (not aftermarket) RHD floormats? Please measure the widest section of both the passenger and driver mats. TIA.

Back