• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any shop Recommendations for Timing Belt/Water Pump Job in Chicago?

I've read that most dealers are quoting around $1,800. Do you know of a good mechanic that can do better price wise?

thanks

Saul

Unfortunately, I didn't find any independent NSX experienced mechanics in the Chicagoland area. I purchased the parts online, and went to Mullers Acura (Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates) based on recommendations here. Ted is the only guy who touches NSX's @ Mullers and has been working on them since '91. The other option is to try Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin. Another highly recommended dealer.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any independent NSX experienced mechanics in the Chicagoland area. I purchased the parts online, and went to Mullers Acura (Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates) based on recommendations here. Ted is the only guy who touches NSX's @ Mullers and has been working on them since '91. The other option is to try Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin. Another highly recommended dealer.
iagree.gif

Well got my car running today, and was thinking about tb/wp. It was done in 05. When should i do that service again? Sorry I missed the dinner but broke my leg in Feb and still in rehab. Hope to see the everyone soon.

Brian

Well got my car running today, and was thinking about tb/wp. It was done in 05. When should i do that service again?
According to the manual for the '91, it should be done every 90,000 miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. So if you haven't put 90,000 miles on it since it was done in '05, it wouldn't be due until next year.

Sorry to hear about the leg; hope you're back in good shape soon!

i would recommend going to a shop called Auto Tecx. they are very honest mechanics and know what they are doing. i have had nothing but good experiences with them. i take my s2000 their all the time. i have seen some pretty nice cars go their for service too.

Last edited:
How is McGrath Acura in Morton Grove... they treated me really well. I took my "new" nsx there last week and they quoted me 150 for an inspection. When the time to pay came, they simply said "this ones on the house".

Mechanic seemed super friendly, and he seemed to know his way around my car pretty well. He is the only guy there that works on the NSX. I think his name was Jim....

Any feedback on them???

Thanks
J

i would recommend going to a shop called Auto Tecx. they are very honest mechanics and know what they are doing. i have had nothing but good experiences with them. i take my s2000 their all the time. i have seen some pretty nice cars go their for service too.

Regardless if they are a good shop or not, I think most ppl would prefer to go somewhere with an experienced NSX mechanic.

How is McGrath Acura in Morton Grove...
I took my NSX there many years ago for something minor, so my feedback is old, but there were no issues. I can tell you that they don't service all that many NSXs. Even though they are the closest to my home geographically, I still take my NSX to Ted at Woodfield Acura, who works on more NSXs than anyone else in the area. If I didn't want to go that far, I would consider Pauly Acura in Highland Park; they used to have two experienced NSX techs, Chuck and Craig, and last time I heard one of them is still there.

Many jobs on the NSX are routine; you can take it anywhere, even an independent mechanic, for things like fluid changes, brake work, tires, etc. But a timing belt replacement is one of the most complicated jobs on the NSX, and it's the kind of thing I prefer to have done by someone who has done it numerous times before.

Last edited:
Regardless if they are a good shop or not, I think most ppl would prefer to go somewhere with an experienced NSX mechanic.

true but that does not mean they cannot apply their knowledge to a nsx or any other car. i dont see how a timing belt job is different on a nsx than any other car....

i dont see how a timing belt job is different on a nsx than any other car....
It's all about what you have to do to get access to the timing belt, which is indeed different on the NSX. If you've already done it on another car, try doing it yourself and see how much you learn for next time.

With any complicated job, there are "short-cuts" and "gotchas" that you can only learn by experience.

^ Agreed. When I first researched this service, I looked up a ton of threads. Initially I thought I could take the NSX to my regular mechanic. Unfortunately, changing a timing belt on an NSX is a whole different ball game. Rather then saving a few bucks every 6-7 years, this is something you want someone with EXPERIENCE to do. Of course, IMHO.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement :biggrin:

Timing belt is one thing I would never mess with on this car on my own... By the time I learn from my mistakes I will have no cash left in my account!

It's all about what you have to do to get access to the timing belt, which is indeed different on the NSX. If you've already done it on another car, try doing it yourself and see how much you learn for next time.

With any complicated job, there are "short-cuts" and "gotchas" that you can only learn by experience.

You definately cannot go wrong with Acura of Brookfield. They are the best in the Midwest. I used to work in sales at Joe Rizza Acura. After my first 6 months there, I got to know the shop pretty well. Had Jack do my timing belt. Jack knows his stuff but you have to ask for him to do the work.

Ted at Muller's Woodfield Acura is the best in the Midwest. I've never had a problem that Ted couldn't diagnose and fix properly.

Acura of Brookfield is very good too.

I made an appiontment with Ted at Muller's to perform the 45K service on my 04 for Tuesday. Nice thing is I get a free loaner, I never expected that.

Ted in Woodfield does great work.. Replaced clutch and Transmission under warranty as well as fixed those pesky window leaks and aligned the tracks for me!:biggrin: When the tranny was out I stopped in just to see it... Kinda felt like my baby's heart was out of the chest thumping in front of me! Ted showed me all the cool stuff going on inside of the thing that is different from other Honda cars. Great tech and easy to work with!

Back