• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody still have one if these bad boys???

image.jpg

The original owner raved about how good of a phone that thing was back in the day... I'm leaving it in just cuz it is such a relic and a cool conversation piece... Going to try and get it working again someday..

View attachment 110853

The original owner raved about how good of a phone that thing was back in the day... I'm leaving it in just cuz it is such a relic and a cool conversation piece... Going to try and get it working again someday..

I still have mine in a box in storage somewhere. LOL I much rather have the space than the non working phone.

I still have one too. :smile:

yeah I have about 8 complete units I take them out the owners don't want them any more.

too bad you cant get them to work would def be cool since its an ANALOG device and everything is digital now LOL

it would prob work in a 3rd world country though LOL

Most of the third world has a more sophisticated mobile infrastructure and network, than the U.S. Sad, but true story.

You might be wrong on that statement.

I wonder if those would be a collector item years down the road even if they don't work?

Probably could do some sort of bluetooth type of retrofit of a "smart" watch or digital GSM/CDMA phone into the (Motorola) NSX factory-phone handset.

You might be wrong on that statement.
I wish I was, but I'm not.

Yep, you are 100% correct, and they have more advance services on these Networks too, and at a fraction of the cost that we pay in North America.
Word.

Still have mine.

I have a similar 'car phone' in my 86 300zx Turbo.........it powers up which is funny to see the reaction I get with some kids who were too young to know what car phones were back then.

My son always referred to it as the 'bat phone' ... although you probably have to be a certain age to appreciate that reference. Still have it but not in the vehicle.

This reminds me back in the day my friend and I used to borrow his dads 1980's Toyota truck. It had a "car phone", this was before cell service he was definaltely the only one in town with such advanced technology!

I still have mine in a box in the garage somewhere.

I actually had it activated when I first got the car, but when all the cell carriers went digital, the phone got taken out.....But, I still have the Antenna on my back window :)

...I heard that it can still work but only if you call Don Johnson.........

When I got my car, that non-functional phone was the first thing I ripped out. Weight and space are at a premium, and I don't regret freeing up the arm rest space and getting that boat-anchor transponder out of the trunk.
But I could've sworn I saw a thread on here just a couple of years ago that explained how the phone could be reactivated with a minimum of fuss. I almost regretted taking mine out at the time.

I still have my phone in my BMW 850, and it is possible to reactivate, in the sense that it can be setup to connect via bluetooth to your mobile. The phone in and of itself is, as said above, analog, and that just no-longer works.

This reminds me back in the day my friend and I used to borrow his dads 1980's Toyota truck. It had a "car phone", this was before cell service he was definaltely the only one in town with such advanced technology!

Yep, in the early days you had to go through a "mobile operator" to make a connection.

I have my first mobile phone form 1988. It looks like a black phone book with a handset in the center. I think I will bring it to Starbucks and pretend I am making calls to look cool.

Most of the third world has a more sophisticated mobile infrastructure and network, than the U.S. Sad, but true story.

Yea, I had full bar reception in the middle of nowhere when I was on vacation in Viet Nam.

Ive got a cell phone so big it looks like a walkie talkie from WW2!!

they used it in "night at the roxbury movie" that was so darn funny!!

I used to use it.. even thought it was not operable any longer... just to outrage my then teenage dauther!! I'd carry it in front of her friends and pretend to talk on it.

regarding your phone in the console glove box... I doubt that would work any longer... I think it's analog as opposed to digital

Back