• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Re: DIY Turbo kit

Also - if you look at the curves, my turbo most closely replicates the shape of the stock curve - preserving the driveablity and "feel" of the car.

Thanks for posting the graph cozmo!

Fed Ex just dropped off two nice big boxes:biggrin:

I'm surprised that nobody has posted up one of those lame unboxing videos yet :wink:

Ok guys a few questions from a guy getting close to pulling the trigger on the Angus set up.

I run a '93 completely stock with about 94k miles on it. I've owned her since 2005. She has been 100% worked on by Acura dealers only from day 1 so I'm good to go as far as preventative maintainance. Clutch replaced at 65k or so.

1) What items will I need to purchase outside of what comes with the kit? Keep in mind this will be done in my garage on jack stands. I have one mechanic friend that I can pay to help with the dirty work(swappng manifolds)
and other friends that will probaby stand around and drink beer and tell me what not to do. ;) The dyno and tuner are roughly 30 miles away. Is it safe to drive this car there without a tune?

2) What is the deal with aftermarked oil collectors like STMPO make. Not the one by the turbo but the one by the top of the motor. Is this recommended or necessary?

3) Why do some turbo kits put the BOV near the turbo under the car and the ANGUS BOV is near the intake?

4) Temperature seems like a big problem (high ones) Should this kit be ceramic coated?

5) Where is the air intake filter located? In STMPO's kit it looks like the intake is near the rear left tire under. Won't that get all wet and dirty real quick?

6) If I were to ask for an upgraded BB turbo, what would be the benefit? Longevity? Cooler running? Faster spool? Any downsides besides cost? How much trouble is it to route cooling lines to the turbo and would I require a larger radiator?

7) Will this kit require an oil cooler or larger one. Embarrased to say I don't know if the NSX has a stock oil cooler.

8) I want to keep my dash STOCK looking and don't like the standard round guages, is there an lcd option? I like what SOS sells that mounts the LCD above the air ducts.

9) How does the Borla sound for those that went with it? Is the noise crazy loud when driving long distances? I sometimes drive to the Keys and that's like 280 miles one way.

10) FIC or EMS? Cost difference? I know Angus says FIC but those with EMS seem to be happy with it. Remember I am obd1.

11) Do I have to change from stock spark plugs and what about oil? Stock or Mobil 1? How do you power the pump that routs the oil from the turbo back to the pan?

12) Goal high 300's rwhp. 1/4 mile @112mph. Is that realistic? Thinking of 7 lbs boost.

Ok guys a few questions from a guy getting close to pulling the trigger on the Angus set up.

I run a '93 completely stock with about 94k miles on it. I've owned her since 2005. She has been 100% worked on by Acura dealers only from day 1 so I'm good to go as far as preventative maintainance. Clutch replaced at 65k or so.

1) What items will I need to purchase outside of what comes with the kit? Keep in mind this will be done in my garage on jack stands. I have one mechanic friend that I can pay to help with the dirty work(swappng manifolds)
and other friends that will probaby stand around and drink beer and tell me what not to do. ;) The dyno and tuner are roughly 30 miles away. Is it safe to drive this car there without a tune?

2) What is the deal with aftermarked oil collectors like STMPO make. Not the one by the turbo but the one by the top of the motor. Is this recommended or necessary?

3) Why do some turbo kits put the BOV near the turbo under the car and the ANGUS BOV is near the intake?

4) Temperature seems like a big problem (high ones) Should this kit be ceramic coated?

5) Where is the air intake filter located? In STMPO's kit it looks like the intake is near the rear left tire under. Won't that get all wet and dirty real quick?

6) If I were to ask for an upgraded BB turbo, what would be the benefit? Longevity? Cooler running? Faster spool? Any downsides besides cost? How much trouble is it to route cooling lines to the turbo and would I require a larger radiator?

7) Will this kit require an oil cooler or larger one. Embarrased to say I don't know if the NSX has a stock oil cooler.

8) I want to keep my dash STOCK looking and don't like the standard round guages, is there an lcd option? I like what SOS sells that mounts the LCD above the air ducts.

9) How does the Borla sound for those that went with it? Is the noise crazy loud when driving long distances? I sometimes drive to the Keys and that's like 280 miles one way.

10) FIC or EMS? Cost difference? I know Angus says FIC but those with EMS seem to be happy with it. Remember I am obd1.

11) Do I have to change from stock spark plugs and what about oil? Stock or Mobil 1? How do you power the pump that routs the oil from the turbo back to the pan?

12) Goal high 300's rwhp. 1/4 mile @112mph. Is that realistic? Thinking of 7 lbs boost.
LOL, I had all the same questions. As far as your HP Goal. At 7 psi your looking at 400 to 420. I would also, start thinking clutch. I would also splurge for the Full EMS.

The borla is very quiet. I really like it because I like driving my car without it giving me a headache.

You'll need a 1995+ rear sway bar and new spark plugs.

Q) What items will I need to purchase outside of what comes with the kit? Keep in mind this will be done in my garage on jack stands. I have one mechanic friend that I can pay to help with the dirty work(swappng manifolds)

Q) What is the deal with aftermarked oil collectors like STMPO make. Not the one by the turbo but the one by the top of the motor. Is this recommended or necessary?

Q) Why do some turbo kits put the BOV near the turbo under the car and the ANGUS BOV is near the intake?

Q) Temperature seems like a big problem (high ones) Should this kit be ceramic coated?

Q) Where is the air intake filter located? In STMPO's kit it looks like the intake is near the rear left tire under. Won't that get all wet and dirty real quick?

Q) If I were to ask for an upgraded BB turbo, what would be the benefit? Longevity? Cooler running? Faster spool? Any downsides besides cost? How much trouble is it to route cooling lines to the turbo and would I require a larger radiator?

Q) Will this kit require an oil cooler or larger one. Embarrased to say I don't know if the NSX has a stock oil cooler.

Q) I want to keep my dash STOCK looking and don't like the standard round guages, is there an lcd option? I like what SOS sells that mounts the LCD above the air ducts.

Q) How does the Borla sound for those that went with it? Is the noise crazy loud when driving long distances? I sometimes drive to the Keys and that's like 280 miles one way.

Q) FIC or EMS? Cost difference? I know Angus says FIC but those with EMS seem to be happy with it. Remember I am obd1.

Q) Do I have to change from stock spark plugs and what about oil? Stock or Mobil 1? How do you power the pump that routs the oil from the turbo back to the pan?

Q) Goal high 300's rwhp. 1/4 mile @112mph. Is that realistic? Thinking of 7 lbs boost.

I would like to answer you questions, as I feel they are all very good points and I am sure there are many prople who have the same questions but I also welcome other owners to chime in here since it is always helpful to hear it from other customers as well.

Q) What items will I need to purchase outside of what comes with the kit? Keep in mind this will be done in my garage on jack stands. I have one mechanic friend that I can pay to help with the dirty work(swappng manifolds)
and other friends that will probaby stand around and drink beer and tell me what not to do. The dyno and tuner are roughly 30 miles away. Is it safe to drive this car there without a tune?

A)You will only need to supply gauges if desired and a mounting solution, I have tried to make this kit as complete as possible.
I usually recommend that the car be driven to the tuner with the stock ECU and injectors then have the aftermarket ones installed once you reach the tuner, the factory ECU will protect the engine since it will pull a CEL and cut fuel if it sees boost, as long as you drive "normal" and keep out of boost, the car will drive just like stock.

Q) What is the deal with aftermarked oil collectors like STMPO make. Not the one by the turbo but the one by the top of the motor. Is this recommended or necessary?

A) Those "catch cans are designed to collect any "blow by" expelled from the motor, they are not necessary unless you encounter a problem.[/COLOR]

Q) Why do some turbo kits put the BOV near the turbo under the car and the ANGUS BOV is near the intake?

A) BOV placement is largely personal choice and mildly debatable, I can put it anywhere you like (ok - insert jokes here...)

Q) Temperature seems like a big problem (high ones) Should this kit be ceramic coated?

A) the high temp is inherently kept out of the engine bay with this kit, since the hotside parts are under the car, ceramic coating is always better but not necessary, if you have the $$ to spend you can choose this and I can have it done for you.

Q) Where is the air intake filter located? In STMPO's kit it looks like the intake is near the rear left tire under. Won't that get all wet and dirty real quick?

A) The intake is mounted high in the pass. side rear fender, away from water and contaminants, it recieves fresh air from the pass side vent.

Q) If I were to ask for an upgraded BB turbo, what would be the benefit? Longevity? Cooler running? Faster spool? Any downsides besides cost? How much trouble is it to route cooling lines to the turbo and would I require a larger radiator?

A) if you choose the BB turbo, it requires two very easy to run coolant lines and no, you will not need a larger rad. You may acheive faster spool, but mostly you will notice slightly better "transient" response.
Please keep in mind that a BB "upgrade" will consist of an off the shelf turbo, while the turbo supplied with the kit benefits from many hours of dyno time and is custom made to my specs to match the NSX motors' HP curve.

Q) Will this kit require an oil cooler or larger one. Embarrased to say I don't know if the NSX has a stock oil cooler.

A) you will not need an aftermarket oil cooler unless you plan on abusing the car or extended boost like running on a large road course - yes the nsx has a factory oil cooler.

Q) I want to keep my dash STOCK looking and don't like the standard round guages, is there an lcd option? I like what SOS sells that mounts the LCD above the air ducts.

A) You may choose to do the nav pod with a system like HKS CAMP2, but also you can use one of the numerous other digital monitoring devices available.

Q) How does the Borla sound for those that went with it? Is the noise crazy loud when driving long distances? I sometimes drive to the Keys and that's like 280 miles one way.

A) The borla has a more refined, higher pitch sound, neither are overly loud though.

Q) FIC or EMS? Cost difference? I know Angus says FIC but those with EMS seem to be happy with it. Remember I am obd1.

A) I am not the only one using FIC on OBDI cars, it is widely done now, even though it was originally made for OBDII, remember - the FIC uses the factory calibrations for things like cold start, slow driving, cruising etc. and with the EMS, all of those things need to be programmed - the EMS is a very powerful device and most of the feautures will probably go unused for most street cars or cars under 500hp.

Q) Do I have to change from stock spark plugs and what about oil? Stock or Mobil 1? How do you power the pump that routes the oil from the turbo back to the pan?

A) If you are going to run over 6-7PSI, and/or your plugs are older, I suggest replacing with heat range 7 plugs (OEM NSX-R plug)
For oil, I like mobil 1 or valvoline.
The pump is wired to the fuse box in the engine bay through a supplied relay and harness which is triggered by the fuel pump relay so it only runs when the engine is running.

Q) Goal high 300's rwhp. 1/4 mile @112mph. Is that realistic? Thinking of 7 lbs boost.

A) If you look at the others who have this system, your goals are very easily attainable.

Last edited:

Good stuff, Angus. I may have to take you up on one of those kits sometime in the near future. I'd just hate to remove my ARC exhaust :biggrin:

Sean

Good stuff, Angus. I may have to take you up on one of those kits sometime in the near future. I'd just hate to remove my ARC exhaust :biggrin:

Sean

Once you hear your car with the turbo you will never look back, not only that, you can sell the ARC to fund the turbo kit!

The borla is very quiet. I really like it because I like driving my car without it giving me a headache.

You'll need a 1995+ rear sway bar and new spark plugs.
I have aftermarket sways. (Dali racing street/race). I do not want to give up the way my handles. What other options are out there without removing my sway bar? I do not track my track much...10 years of ownership 3 track days..I know I'm bad...But I just like the way handles now and do not want to change it.

I have aftermarket sways. (Dali racing street/race). I do not want to give up the way my handles. What other options are out there without removing my sway bar? I do not track my track much...10 years of ownership 3 track days..I know I'm bad...But I just like the way handles now and do not want to change it.

Aren't the dali sways '95-up style? As long as the rear one is straight, you are ok.

Aren't the dali sways '95-up style? As long as the rear one is straight, you are ok.

Let me look I'll let you know. I remember they were pretty much all over the place. This was the first I did to my car back in Oct 1999 when I bought it..

Hey you shipped my 4" intake yet? :biggrin:

OK - For those who have previously contacted me and are interested or considering this system, I have a discounted kit ready to ship, this was purchased by a local member who has decided not to install it. The kit is set up for a 95-99 car (OBDII with 95-99 headers) and includes HKS BOV, 440cc injectors, PNP harness and FIC.

Please PM me.

I telephoned Angus(Wil) as I was parking my car for Church today. Little did I know that at 9:55 am my time (West Coast Florida), it was probably 6am or so his time. Oops! Nevertheless Wil called me back and....................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I ordered the kit! :rolleyes:

Now this will be a TRUE test of customer service because I am really bad when it comes to mechanical related things. I am the type of guy that removes a fuse, goes 5 feet away to get a new fuse and then forgets which slot it goes in. The only way I can do this project is to break it down into 5-6 small mini projects completing one at a time. This system is being installed in a dealer maintained, gently driven, completely stock car with 95k miles.
I will run a 1/4 mile at a local track prior to the install to get some base numbers. That way I can run the same track afterwords so people can see the real world difference a system like this can make.

Never has there been a statement more correct: IF I CAN DO THIS ANYONE CAN!

My kit is being sent out this week. I have an Iphone and will attempt to video some of the installation as it goes along. If someone could recommend some Iphone editing software that would be great. I also have an Imac at home. My goal is somewhere between 370 and 380 reliable rwhp.

Wish me luck! Brian

If you change the pic, I'm adding $500 to the price of your kit.

N/K:wink:

Wow, I think kookoo actually changed his pic. :frown: I was just kidding. Need to see other pics in the set. Your sister appears to be a very wholesome young lady.

While I'm here, I'll throw out a question. Maybe it's been answered elsewhere, if so, mea culpa:

Let's say I've got a stock 3L motor, and want to put on the turbo kit today and aim for 400 whp (assume dynojet here). Stock motor should be fine.

What if later I aim for 500 whp, 600whp, 700whp?

What changes should be made to the motor for each increment in hp to run safe and extend the motor's life?

Back