• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

My question still stands, if any of you girly men think you're up to it:

Let's say I've got a stock 3L motor, and want to put on the turbo kit today and aim for 400 whp (assume dynojet here). Stock motor should be fine.

What if later I aim for 500whp, 600whp, 700whp?

What changes should be made to the motor for each increment in hp to run safe and extend the motor's life?

Odd job.

I'll jump in with my limited knowledge. The stock motor is good for 400rwhp but there are those here that acutally have pushed the motor to 600rwhp. That is of great risk.

To get to 500 hp most will agree you will need to replace the head studs and run methanol injection at a minimum. 600 hp you will need lower compression pistons, increase the size of the oil cooler and radiator and run more advanced engine management like AEM EMS. Once you venture into that territory things like clutch and brakes will need to be considered.

If you are considering a project like that you may want to speak directly with some of the vendors on here.

Actually, you will need a clutch for anything over about 425-450 - I do not think cooling will really be an issue at any power level, although an oil cooler will be a good idea if you are going to track it. If you want to go over 450whp, at least forged pistons and head studs with metal head gaskets.

The stock sleeves, while capable of quite a bit of power if you avoid detonation (just like the factory pistons) should be replaced if you are going over the 500-550 range - as well as rods - I might do this to mine in the future -

Last edited:
Okay, cool, so I'm looking at forged pistons, head studs, metal head gaskets, sleeves, and rods.

Sounds expensive. Unless...someone would give me these parts. I'd take some free tires to start, though. :biggrin:

Thanks, Angus, good info.

Last edited:
Okay, cool, so I'm looking at forged pistons, head studs, metal head gaskets, sleeves, and rods.

Sounds expensive. Unless...someone would give me these parts. I'd take some free tires to start, though. :biggrin:

Thanks, Angus, good info.

You know, the 400-450WHP that you could get from your stock motor would be pretty impressive...

You know, the 400-450WHP that you could get from your stock motor would be pretty impressive...

I'm getting 405whp/290tq (dynapack?) w/ a blower+intercooler now, and while it's okay, it's not the earth-shattering experience others describe.

I've only had the setup a few thousand miles, it's summer in Phoenix, so I'll see what it's like in the winter.

In the meantime, I figure I'll do some research on alternatives. If I'm going to go to the trouble and expense, I want the most cost-effective route to a safe 500 or more.

I'm getting 405whp/290tq (dynapack?) w/ a blower+intercooler now, and while it's okay, it's not the earth-shattering experience others describe.

I've only had the setup a few thousand miles, it's summer in Phoenix, so I'll see what it's like in the winter.

In the meantime, I figure I'll do some research on alternatives. If I'm going to go to the trouble and expense, I want the most cost-effective route to a safe 500 or more.

What blower are you using? Dynapack reads notoriously high - almost like crank HP.

What blower are you using? Dynapack reads notoriously high - almost like crank HP.

Ya, I suspected...wouldn't mind getting another dyno sometime.

I've got the kenne bell, SoS's setup w/ laminova intercooler. It's a nice setup, thinking of getting a smaller pulley, upping the boost, seeing if I can get that up over 450whp.

Then again, pulling and selling that setup would pay for the turbo, and I really like the idea of taking a shot at installing that myself...well, okay, with the help of a friend.

If I went that route, I'd like to have the engine overbuilt a bit to be on the safe side.

If you look at the chart posted on page 30 (post 750), you can see the difference in midrange power between this turbo kit and the blower you have, it is a pretty significant gain.

If you look at the chart posted on page 30 (post 750), you can see the difference in midrange power between this turbo kit and the blower you have, it is a pretty significant gain.

I've seen that, it's estimable.

For your kit, if one later wanted to dial up more power, what would be involved? For example, let's assume the kit made 400 whp today, and tomorrow one wanted to go up to 500 whp.

What's necessary to do that, in terms of the turbo kit alone (leaving out engine mods)?

> A different turbo?
> Intercooler, meth?
> AEM EMS?
> Can it be done on pump gas?
> ...etc.

I've seen every page in this post, and I don't remember seeing anything about this specifically, but if it's been covered, let me know and I'll dig it up.

If you are going to try making over 450whp, you will seriously want to run methanol injection with the stock compression. The supplied turbo has done 615whp @21psi w/ methanol injection - it will flow 75lbs/min. - enough for well over 700hp at the crank.

You may wish to run the EMS for higher HP applications.

If you are going to do a low compression build then you could easily do 500whp on pump gas - it would still be better with the methanol...

So after some delay none of which was Wil's fault I received box 1 of 2 yesterday. I had decieded to go with the Borla exhaust, stainless return line, meth injection with the custom meth tank upgrades. I also had the turbine housing ceramic coated just for corrosion control really. Target power is 420-430 rwhp.

I had planned to start once the other box showed but I had some free time today so I jumped in. Between me and KooKoo4nsx FL is finally seeing some of these kits on the road.

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

Where is fl are you? I would love to see the kit when it is done.

So after some delay none of which was Wil's fault I received box 1 of 2 yesterday. I had decieded to go with the Borla exhaust, stainless return line, meth injection with the custom meth tank upgrades. I also had the turbine housing ceramic coated just for corrosion control really. Target power is 420-430 rwhp.

I had planned to start once the other box showed but I had some free time today so I jumped in. Between me and KooKoo4nsx FL is finally seeing some of these kits on the road.

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

Myaddiction2

I live in JAX. We've met at Cars and Coffee about a year ago. Ya no problem after I wrap it up. PM me sometime.

Oh. I remember you Gary. You need to cone to cars and coffee again. It is now at wild wings.

When do you think your car will be done?

Who is going to tune it? Mase?

Is it possible for you to do a side-by-side comparison on a list of parts that come with this kit as it compares to the Lovefab kit? There is a significant price difference yet the capabilities of both seem to be about the same and I'm trying to understand/justify the difference in price. I fully understand both kits are great quality and I personally have total trust in both vendors (I would probably lean to you as I'm a returning customer and already trust you).

However, I just want to be sure that I can achieve the same power, with the same power curves on each. My target is to reach 425+ WHP on my 2004 3.2L while still allowing myself room to grow down the road. I must be able to pass emissions (sniff and ODBII).

I'm targeting a FI upgrade just after Christmas towards mid/end of winter. :)

Is it possible for you to do a side-by-side comparison on a list of parts that come with this kit as it compares to the Lovefab kit? There is a significant price difference yet the capabilities of both seem to be about the same and I'm trying to understand/justify the difference in price. I fully understand both kits are great quality and I personally have total trust in both vendors (I would probably lean to you as I'm a returning customer and already trust you).

However, I just want to be sure that I can achieve the same power, with the same power curves on each. My target is to reach 425+ WHP on my 2004 3.2L while still allowing myself room to grow down the road. I must be able to pass emissions (sniff and ODBII).

I'm targeting a FI upgrade just after Christmas towards mid/end of winter. :)

If you are looking for a comparison, you can easily see me first post for the list, as far as the other companies, they do also list their components so a comparison should be easy.

Cost is decided by many factors, as you have seen, the quality of my products should easily be on par with what others have to offer so you must choose what is best for yourself based on your needs, HP goals, cost, etc.

The available kits all seem to have a very different HP curve, I spent considerable time developing this kit to have a curve as close to stock so that the car still feels like an NSX - only way faster.

If you run the FIC, you should be able to pass OBDII test, and with cats you could also pass the sniff test too.

When you are ready, I can walk you through it.

It would be... If I had sent him the injector clips!

They are getting overnighted to him as we speak.

Back