• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

How about the fuel pump- you mentioned the oem is more reliable than walbro but what are it's limits in terms of boost/HP supported or flow in terms of injectors? Obviously it will support the 410cc RDX injectors but how about 550?

Now that this kit has been out for a while, can we get a general list of which clutch holds up the best? My future plans are to get this APX kit, but I will be replacing a clutch relatively soon. I would like to put in a clutch now, to be prepped for turbo later, while still staying mostly streetable.

TIA!

The stock pump when new can support 400hp or so.

The thing is these pump are old now, so many people find it better to change the pump - there are many good options out there for pumps now, that being said - I like the OEM supra pump.

Last edited:
Thanks m-p

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.suprastore.com/tosu2jfupufa.html. so just want to make sure this is the pump I need and from what I have read I have to get the fuel pump power distribution kit also?

Your kit is coming along Win!

I finished installing and tuning my AP-X turbo a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd share my experience, though there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread.

The quality of the entire kit is top-notch and Wil was a true professional through the entire process. He was always available to answer questions - before and after the purchase - and was more concerned that I ordered the correct options for my kit than the most expensive ones.

I elected to get the Precision 6266 turbo, upgraded oil lines, HKS BOV, Borla exhaust, and 550 injectors. The rest of the setup on my '96 NSX consists of stock NA2 headers, disconnected VVIS, SOS sport clutch and lightened flywheel, AEM FIC, AEM meth injection kit, AEM failsafe wideband gauge, AEM Tru-Boost EBC, stock Supra TT fuel pump with 12 gauge wiring all the way to the pump, a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter, #7 spark plugs, and misc. brake and suspension upgrades. I'm probably forgetting some of the mods, but you get the idea.

Installing the kit was the easiest part of the process. Though I've never installed a turbo before, it didn't take more than about 10 hours to do the mechanical work in my garage with hand tools. Installing the electronics took a lot of time, because I soldered and shrink wrapped all electrical connections and ran all of the wires in stock-looking wire looms. Running the vacuum lines took a couple more hours. The meth tank and controller are in the trunk.

After installing the kit and testing the electronics, I tested the system for leaks using a PVC cap and air compressor. The system actually holds air pressure for several minutes, and there are no leaks at all.

I put about 500 miles on the system before having it tuned. It was tough staying out of boost for that long! The tuner did a great job and the car runs like stock (when hot or cold) until you get into boost. There are no CELs.

The seven-pound spring that came with the kit held nine pounds on the dyno. My goal was 400 whp; she made 435 whp at 9 pounds on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Based on his back-to-back testing of other cars, my tuner said a Dynopack would have shown 475 whp! Since that's more stress than I want to put on the motor, I installed a five pound spring and am using the boost controller to maintain seven pounds, which should give me around 400 whp. The AEM AFR gauge and meth kit both have failsafes that will cut boost back to spring pressure if anything gets out of wack, and the meth gives me an extra margin of safety.

Performance is incredible! The car feels so fast now. A couple of days after having it tuned, I drove 2,000 miles from Virginia to Michigan and back to run in the American Gumball rally, which included some road racing track time at Gingerman speedway and drag strip time. My first time ever to the drag strip I won four of four races; one against a modded Camaro SS, one against a Chrysler something-or-other, and two against a Camaro Z28, once with a passenger in the car. I was running on crappy Firestone tires and spun through most of first and second on the track.

Driving to Michigan, I averaged 28 mpg @75 mph. After 2,000 miles, the turbo still performs flawlessly, and the car is a blast to drive! I recommend this kit to anyone who wants a couple hundred more horsepower in their NSX.

Here are a couple of pics of my car. The decals are from the Gumball Rally and will come off in the next day or two.

NSX front-side after rally.jpg
3.jpg

I finished installing and tuning my AP-X turbo a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd share my experience, though there's not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said in this thread.

The quality of the entire kit is top-notch and Wil was a true professional through the entire process. He was always available to answer questions - before and after the purchase - and was more concerned that I ordered the correct options for my kit than the most expensive ones.

I elected to get the Precision 6266 turbo, upgraded oil lines, HKS BOV, Borla exhaust, and 550 injectors. The rest of the setup on my '96 NSX consists of stock NA2 headers, disconnected VVIS, SOS sport clutch and lightened flywheel, AEM FIC, AEM meth injection kit, AEM failsafe wideband gauge, AEM Tru-Boost EBC, stock Supra TT fuel pump with 12 gauge wiring all the way to the pump, a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter, #7 spark plugs, and misc. brake and suspension upgrades. I'm probably forgetting some of the mods, but you get the idea.

Installing the kit was the easiest part of the process. Though I've never installed a turbo before, it didn't take more than about 10 hours to do the mechanical work in my garage with hand tools. Installing the electronics took a lot of time, because I soldered and shrink wrapped all electrical connections and ran all of the wires in stock-looking wire looms. Running the vacuum lines took a couple more hours. The meth tank and controller are in the trunk.

After installing the kit and testing the electronics, I tested the system for leaks using a PVC cap and air compressor. The system actually holds air pressure for several minutes, and there are no leaks at all.

I put about 500 miles on the system before having it tuned. It was tough staying out of boost for that long! The tuner did a great job and the car runs like stock (when hot or cold) until you get into boost. There are no CELs.

The seven-pound spring that came with the kit held nine pounds on the dyno. My goal was 400 whp; she made 435 whp at 9 pounds on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Based on his back-to-back testing of other cars, my tuner said a Dynopack would have shown 475 whp! Since that's more stress than I want to put on the motor, I installed a five pound spring and am using the boost controller to maintain seven pounds, which should give me around 400 whp. The AEM AFR gauge and meth kit both have failsafes that will cut boost back to spring pressure if anything gets out of wack, and the meth gives me an extra margin of safety.

Performance is incredible! The car feels so fast now. A couple of days after having it tuned, I drove 2,000 miles from Virginia to Michigan and back to run in the American Gumball rally, which included some road racing track time at Gingerman speedway and drag strip time. My first time ever to the drag strip I won four of four races; one against a modded Camaro SS, one against a Chrysler something-or-other, and two against a Camaro Z28, once with a passenger in the car. I was running on crappy Firestone tires and spun through most of first and second on the track.

Driving to Michigan, I averaged 28 mpg @75 mph. After 2,000 miles, the turbo still performs flawlessly, and the car is a blast to drive! I recommend this kit to anyone who wants a couple hundred more horsepower in their NSX.

Here are a couple of pics of my car. The decals are from the Gumball Rally and will come off in the next day or two.

View attachment 126997
View attachment 126998

Thanks for the kind words and I am happy to see everything worked out!

A couple thousand miles later the AP-X turbo is running as well as the day I installed it. It's actually better now that I've swapped the original 7 pound spring for a 5 pounder. Coupled with an AEM EBC that keeps the spring closed until almost 5 psi, I'm seeing some boost around 3.5k RPM and linear boost until redline. With this setup, you really don't need to run it over 5k RPM to get great acceleration.

I've limited max boost to 7 pounds for everyday driving, but installed a scramble boost button that gives me 9 pounds for 20 seconds, 'cause sometimes you need it!

No overheating, detonation, stalling, or anything like that. With the AEM meth kit and conservative tuning on the FI/C, AFRs never get dangerous. The AEM failsafe AFR will dump boost anyway if it starts running lean.

At 7 or 8 pounds of boost, it'll really scare your passenger!

People looking for a quicker spooling turbo may be pleased to know that I will soon be offering the Borg Warner S300 as an option.

This will also allow me to lower the cost of the kit to 2008 pricing!!

Wil, do you have any used kits? I have been thinking of going from CTSC to turbo for a while now. I have narrowed down to LoveFab or Angus. My power goals are very minimal, right around the 400 rwhp range.

Last edited:
The info on page 1 of this thread has just been updated, so be sure to check that out.

Also, for anyone who is thinking about a kit - there will be a VERY special price on a limited number of kits coming up. I am still finalizing details of the "springtime sale" but it'll be a very significant savings so keep an eye out for it!

Details will very soon be posted! It'll most likely be a "sale" thread for all the products.

While that would be nice, I don't think it's possible.

However I always do what I can to help repeat customers - so maybe you need a turbo kit for your 2nd NSX?

- - - Updated - - -

In the very near future I will have turbo kits pre-built, ready to ship!

Pm if interested.

Back