• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there any interests for a NSX-specific HID kit?

ryan1926 said:
Hi Steve,

Are you using a particular turn signal/parking light bulb (the white bulb of course) to try and match to the HID's? I tried using the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, but they don't even come close. I also tried the Imported PIAA HID wedge bulbs. They come close but there is too much of a blue tint to them.
Hi Ryan,
I am using the Rice Rocket wedge bulbs from Mark 3 on Ocean Avenue. They are $9. they are still a tiny bit yellow compared to the HID but I think they are closed enough. Another option is th PIAA LED wedge but beam is too small and is too focus forward and does not give the white glow that I want.
Regards,
Steve

I got the PIAA "super plasma" - $14.50 / pr at my local Monument autoparts (they have them up your way Steve?) These are a really nice bright white - only problem is my McCulloch GB HID's (not Steve's) supposed 6000K bulbs are seriously blue - I suspect they are really 8000K's. I expected a tinge of blue at 6000, but not to this extreme.
I think the super plasma's would be great with "real" 5300 or 6000K bulbs.
Maybe I'll hit you up for some spare bulbs if you can get those seperately Steve?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will search for the perfect wedge bulbs! Steve, do will you be selling replacement wedge bulbs just in case? I was also interested in seeing what the 4300K bulbs look like.

Malibu Rapper said:
I've heard of good results from SuperbrightLEDs . They are a lot cheaper than the PIAAs. I use the PIAA wedge bulbs and they are a very white color.
Thanks for the lead. The problem is there are so many bulbs there and I do not know which will give the matching color.
Steve

Hey guys,

Check these out as well. I've purchased from them and they have great LED lights. The one thing I liked are the side facing LEDs which make the bulb act much more like a traditional bulb and makes full use of the existing reflectors. I've tried standard forward facing LEDs and you just get a concentrated beam instead of the proper illumination. I've going to get some Hyper White 168 for the front markers and see how they turn out.

http://stores.ebay.com/CTLumination_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Am very interested in upgrading my Zanardi. I don't want anything visually to change with the car, want to keep the pop ups... everything as stock as possible... I just want HIDs and not the old lights.

I am also, well, an idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff and installation (tho I suppose my dad could help me). Software is my thing, not hardware :)

Tell me what to do! :)

[email protected]

I'm interested in a set. However, I am a track junkie and I would like to know how much these weigh.Do they require an additional electronic box that ads much weight? If it's under 5lbs or so, cool. If not, please let me know.
Ryan

I just installed a kit but not from White..

HID kit will not change anything cosmetically. The ballast will sit somewhere near the headlight but will not be visible unless you open the hood.

Kit will be well below 5 lbs. but even if it is 10 lbs i will install it. The better light quality and brightness is worth the money and additional weight.

I have a 8000K kit and it is great.. It is slightly purple but mainly white light when heated up.

This isn't related to the weight of the HID kit but rather to where I mounted the ballast. I was able to tuck both ballasts underneath the pop-up headlight cover so you can't tell that HID kit is even installed.

ryan1926 said:
This isn't related to the weight of the HID kit but rather to where I mounted the ballast. I was able to tuck both ballasts underneath the pop-up headlight cover so you can't tell that HID kit is even installed.

I did that. Tuck everything under the headlight cover. But...... looking at it there isn't anything sealing water out of that area. I didnt want the ballast to get wet when I wash the car. so I routed the ballast to reside underhood.

I'm going to order one eventually. I've got a few other mods I want to do first to my NSX.

I compared my OEM lights to the whiteNSXs' HIDs on peiserg's NSX, and you can see how much better the HIDs look.

hid1.jpg

I got a set of special-order 4300K HIDs from Steve last week and installed them this weekend. I went for 4300K because I'm doing this to see better at night and that's closest to what manufacturers have determined gives the best visibility. 4300K is brighter and less blue than higher color temps, and apparently our eyes like it that way.

I'm very happy with the results. I can see so much better, it's ridiculous. The color is very white overall with tinges of blue around the very edges. It almost exactly matches my wife's TL's oem HIDs.

Installation wasn't too hard. I'm smart, but I tend to be a bonehead with hardware, so I probably average out to a typical person.

I carefully took pictures with a digital camera on the same manual settings for exposure, aperture, white balance, etc. before and after. I took the shots from inside the car, with the nose of the car 60" from a screen I set up with a couple of old white tablecloths.

Here are the results, starting with before:

Attachments

• headlightsbefore.jpg
    headlightsbefore.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
HID is pretty new to me so any and every bit of information from you guys would be helpful. My situation is that my NSX came with head light already converted to HID. However high beam was left unchanged. Looks to me that the current wiring has one ballast driving the HID bulb. High beam bulb is still connected to the original head light wiring.

So how do I get high beam converted to HID?

You dont really need to convert your high beam. You probably only use the high beam 1% of the time when driving with light on.

Almost everyone leave high beam the way they are.

fkong777 said:
You dont really need to convert your high beam. You probably only use the high beam 1% of the time when driving with light on.

Almost everyone leave high beam the way they are.

So no one minds the color mismatch, blue + yellow when high beam on?

icefire said:
So no one minds the color mismatch, blue + yellow when high beam on?

You can match it if you want. it will just cost you about $300 for another 9005 HID Kit.

Actually, HIDs can be so bright that it really isn't safe to use them in your hi-beams. Unfortunately, people routinely forget to turn off their hi-beams, and having a HID shining straight into your eyes can be utterly blinding.

Back