• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AWD Cars and Wheels question

I'm looking to purchase an AWD Lexus IS and I want to get a set of stock 18 inch wheels they had for it at the dealership.

When looking at the accessorie book though- it says that I can't purchase the 18's I want for the AWD version....that the wheels are only available/compatible for the RWD version.

Anyone know why that is? Why wouldn't you be able to interchange wheels from the same car- the only difference being RWD vs AWD?

The sales guy couldn't give me a reason and the parts guy wasn't there.

Let me guess; you can only get 17" or less for the AWD - Right? My guess is that the 18" could provide more torque/traction than the AWD system was designed for and stress the axle, CV's or differentials. The systems probably just weren't ever tested with 18" wheels by the manufacturer, therefore they don't offer it. My best guess????

Are the 18" wheels the same width and offset front and rear? My 1st guess is that maybe they are different.

Also, the AWD car could have a different suspension, brakes, hubs and so on that aren't compatible with that specific wheel.

O and if you are going to buy an AWD car, go Audi or go home ;)

Tire Rack is usually the benchmark when it comes to fitment. They show only TPMS as the only footnotes when it comes to the IS250/350 wheels which come in 17-19in sizes.

Let me guess; you can only get 17" or less for the AWD - Right? My guess is that the 18" could provide more torque/traction than the AWD system was designed for and stress the axle, CV's or differentials. The systems probably just weren't ever tested with 18" wheels by the manufacturer, therefore they don't offer it. My best guess????

They (Lexus) do offer other 18 and 19 inch wheels for the car...:frown:

O and if you are going to buy an AWD car, go Audi or go home ;)

~210 HP car for 44k. :eek:

power.jpg

price.jpg

The reason is that the AWD Lexus IS doesn't have staggered wheels like the RWD version does.
The 18" option on the RWD is a 18x8 front and a 18x8.5" rear with staggered tire sizes being 225/40/18 and 255/40/18.

The AWD 18" option is 18x8 all around with a 225/40/18 tires all around.

My suggestion is to buy the car as is (with factory 17" wheels), then buy aftermarket wheels and tires.

The wheels: 1) usually be cheaper than the dealership 2) you can get the tires you want 3) you can sell the original wheels and get some of you money back (or have a spare winter set) 4) have a wheel that most/no other IS has.

IS Detailed Specs (note tire size differences):
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/detailed_specifications.html#JChassis

IS Factory Options (AWD can only get the 18x8 F-Sport Forged Wheels)
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html#JOptionsandAccessories

Last edited:
My wife had an 06 IS250 AWD. It was a fantastic car. Not to mention the color combo of Glacier Frost with Black interior. At one time I looked at getting the upgraded factory rims for it as well. I had extensive conversations with the service manager, and he insisted that regardless what the book said that they would fit with no issues. The car ended up getting hit from behind and we got rid of it before I ever pulled the trigger. Anyhow, Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis is the place we deal with. On our 5th Lexus now, and everyone of them have been rock solid vehicles. My wife will never own another brand.

As far as aftermarket goes, I've not seen too many sets of aftermarket wheels that look good on this car. They all cheapen it in my opinion, so I know your motivation for going OEM. I love the look of the RWD IS line with the OEM 18's on it. You can get them on Ebay for MUCH less than the dealer will charge. But again, the service manager insisted there would be absolutely no issues. My only concern was the stance of the vehicle. The AWD version seems like it sits higher than the RWD version. I was skeptical in regards to the size of the wheel gap, and if I'd also be stuck modifying the suspension to get it where I'd want.

Good luck in your quest!

Joe

Check out the Linea Corse line of wheels at Wheeldude.com (http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=257_283). My fiance' has a IS250 and I had considered getting some of these but we decided to keep her 18" Lexus Spyder wheels instead..

You'll have to check for sets with non-stagger, but here's some pix of RWD versions to get an idea. Also these are 19" sets and their cars are lowered :tongue:. . .

Linea Corse Dyna 19" - $1300 a set
5203_1.jpg

Linea Corse LC818 19" - $1300 a set
6894_1.jpg

Linea Corse Lemans 19" - $1300 a set
4392_1.jpg

I put the wrong wheels on the X5 we had in 2000 and did a lot of damage to the vehicle. knowing that I would only put recommended wheels and tires on anything in the future. I not only did damage to the drive system I also damaged some of the suspension components too. Dealer said it was ~18k in damage. I didn't fix it, I just traded it in.

I put the wrong wheels on the X5 we had in 2000 and did a lot of damage to the vehicle. knowing that I would only put recommended wheels and tires on anything in the future. I not only did damage to the drive system I also damaged some of the suspension components too. Dealer said it was ~18k in damage. I didn't fix it, I just traded it in.

That's BMW for you. If it was consistent with my experiences with the local BMW dealer, it was probably 3 hours of labor at $6k and hour. :tongue:

The reason is that the AWD Lexus IS doesn't have staggered wheels like the RWD version does.
The 18" option on the RWD is a 18x8 front and a 18x8.5" rear with staggered tire sizes being 225/40/18 and 255/40/18.

The AWD 18" option is 18x8 all around with a 225/40/18 tires all around.

My suggestion is to buy the car as is (with factory 17" wheels), then buy aftermarket wheels and tires.

The wheels: 1) usually be cheaper than the dealership 2) you can get the tires you want 3) you can sell the original wheels and get some of you money back (or have a spare winter set) 4) have a wheel that most/no other IS has.

IS Detailed Specs (note tire size differences):
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/detailed_specifications.html#JChassis

IS Factory Options (AWD can only get the 18x8 F-Sport Forged Wheels)
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html#JOptionsandAccessories

I think you win the prize.

After tons of research and eyeing OEM accessory books this seems to be the reason.

But I can't see why I couldn't put a staggered set on the AWD version.

As long as the wheel diameter is the same (front and rear) i can't see why the AWD system would be affected.

As far as aftermarket, I think all of them cheapen the car. I like the look of the stock five spoke wheels.

I do find the Linea Corso LC818's attractive, but the spider design is too aggressive for me.

I'm think that I will just buy the 18X8's and put them all around with the 225/40/18 tire...or if I get advernturous try and stagger them putting 255/35's on the 8.5 rim.

My wife had an 06 IS250 AWD. It was a fantastic car. Not to mention the color combo of Glacier Frost with Black interior. At one time I looked at getting the upgraded factory rims for it as well. I had extensive conversations with the service manager, and he insisted that regardless what the book said that they would fit with no issues. The car ended up getting hit from behind and we got rid of it before I ever pulled the trigger. Anyhow, Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis is the place we deal with. On our 5th Lexus now, and everyone of them have been rock solid vehicles. My wife will never own another brand.

As far as aftermarket goes, I've not seen too many sets of aftermarket wheels that look good on this car. They all cheapen it in my opinion, so I know your motivation for going OEM. I love the look of the RWD IS line with the OEM 18's on it. You can get them on Ebay for MUCH less than the dealer will charge. But again, the service manager insisted there would be absolutely no issues. My only concern was the stance of the vehicle. The AWD version seems like it sits higher than the RWD version. I was skeptical in regards to the size of the wheel gap, and if I'd also be stuck modifying the suspension to get it where I'd want.

Good luck in your quest!

Joe

Thank you sir. I am looking at the Glacier frost on black as well.

And i completely agree about aftermarket wheels cheapening the appearance of the car.

This will be my 5th Lexus. Love these cars. :smile:

I'm think that I will just buy the 18X8's and put them all around with the 225/40/18 tire...or if I get advernturous try and stagger them putting 255/35's on the 8.5 rim.

I wouldn't do that!!
Stick with the 225/40/18 and the same size wheels front and back. I'm sure the AWD system is assuming that the wheel & tire combo are the same size all the way around.

A 225/40/18 is ~25" in diameter
A 255/40/18 is ~26" in diameter. This 1" (or 3.65%) difference could cause BIG problems if the system wasn't designed for it.

I did alot of research before I bought my last car 3 months ago. I wanted an AWD with lots pf torque, but would fit 4 adults comfortably.

I bought the Volkswagen cc VR6 4motion. I absoluely lovedriving this car. It handleslike it is on rails, and when I put it in manual mode, the paddle shifters on the steering wheel work awesome.:cool:

I get alot of looks in the car, and it comes stock with 18's.

I did alot of research before I bought my last car 3 months ago. I wanted an AWD with lots pf torque, but would fit 4 adults comfortably.

I bought the Volkswagen cc VR6 4motion. I absoluely lovedriving this car. It handleslike it is on rails, and when I put it in manual mode, the paddle shifters on the steering wheel work awesome.:cool:

The CC is a beautiful car! But as a former VW owner, I know the reliability & resale value tend to be unfavorable.. :frown:

Last edited:
I wouldn't do that!!
Stick with the 225/40/18 and the same size wheels front and back. I'm sure the AWD system is assuming that the wheel & tire combo are the same size all the way around.

A 225/40/18 is ~25" in diameter
A 255/40/18 is ~26" in diameter. This 1" (or 3.65%) difference could cause BIG problems if the system wasn't designed for it.

I had mentioned:

225/40/18 and
255/35/18. :biggrin:

.3% difference is what i calculated.

Last edited:

A lovely car indeed.

Everytime i see one I stare as well.

It's a little bigger than I want...and i must admit that i'm a loyal lexus guy so i'm biased. :biggrin:

As a (former) NSX owner you should know it isn't all about HP.

Interior, AWD system, handling, build quality > the Lexus.

But I digress.

Eh... Audi having better build quality than lexus? Come on, you can't really believe that. Does the 2.0 that they put in all VW / Audi's still have a plastic water pump housing? AWD maybe, handling maybe, but if you think build quality you are just drinking the cool aid.

BTW, I like the IS very much but the rear leg room is at a premium. I am more of a TL man as they have gotten quite roomy.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MQgXEqX-JH0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back