• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

bad bike accident

newby said:
You bring up a good point. For those of your who are so paranoid about dying or getting hurt on a motorcycle... your right it's not the thing for you.
However for me.... I'm comfortable enough on a motorcycle to feel safe riding. I only wear a helmet when I'm on the highways (or it's cool out). [If you think that's stupid..then I'm sorry you judge people so quickly.] Riding to me is more then just going down a road on a motorized bike. I love the wind through my hair and the breeze on my face. It's a feeling of freedom.....
I have a safety gear, but only wear it when I'm doing agressive riding (going for a ride through the twisties).
If you are attentive while riding, your odds avoiding an accident are 100X better. For instance...watch the other drivers...not the vehicles. If someone is on the cellphone, pay more attention to them. When you are passing....look to see that the person in front of you sees you in their mirror...if not, be ready to hit the brakes or accelerate if they began changing lanes. It's called defensive driving. A bike (most bikes anyway) can respond twice as good as any car (including the NSX). It's faster, it brakes faster, and it turns faster. These are all to your advantage when it comes to avoiding an accident.
Some people just aren't motorcycle people. A friend of mine is like me....he enjoys nice fast cars... loves the feeling of acceleration...and things motorcycles are great. That is until he finally bought one. I told him to start out small....so he picked up a 96 Yamaha FZR (YZF?) 600 for about $3000. He drove it a few times and then dumped it once after hitting a gravel shoulder (didn't get hurt). He sold it a month after buying it. He said he just didn't feel safe on it.
It comes down to control. If you feel as though the bike is a part of you when you ride....you have more control then those who feel like they are just riding on something. Some have it...some don't. I'm not saying just because you have it means you are safe from all accidents....but I do mean you are more likely to avoid an accident.

DocL.... I understand your position for not wanting to get back on a Motorcycle. Just like my dad's accident...I wouldn't have blamed him if he never road again. Luck is a funny thing....kind of like lightening... :smile:

Paraniod? I havnt heard one comment that would indicate anybody experiencing paranoia.

I am all about pro-choice on things but when other people choices affect my insurance rates, then I have some issues. Just like I don't give a damn if someone wants to kill themselves with cancer sticks byut why should I have to breathe the second hand smoke that is worse for you than the filtered smoke that people inhale? Cali is a screwed up regulatory mess on a lot of things but I do like their smoking laws. Wish we had them in KS.

Just my .02.

newby said:
You bring up a good point. For those of your who are so paranoid about dying or getting hurt on a motorcycle... your right it's not the thing for you.
However for me.... I'm comfortable enough on a motorcycle to feel safe riding. I only wear a helmet when I'm on the highways (or it's cool out). [If you think that's stupid..then I'm sorry you judge people so quickly.] Riding to me is more then just going down a road on a motorized bike. I love the wind through my hair and the breeze on my face. It's a feeling of freedom.....
I have a safety gear, but only wear it when I'm doing agressive riding (going for a ride through the twisties).
If you are attentive while riding, your odds avoiding an accident are 100X better. For instance...watch the other drivers...not the vehicles. If someone is on the cellphone, pay more attention to them. When you are passing....look to see that the person in front of you sees you in their mirror...if not, be ready to hit the brakes or accelerate if they began changing lanes. It's called defensive driving. A bike (most bikes anyway) can respond twice as good as any car (including the NSX). It's faster, it brakes faster, and it turns faster. These are all to your advantage when it comes to avoiding an accident.
Some people just aren't motorcycle people. A friend of mine is like me....he enjoys nice fast cars... loves the feeling of acceleration...and things motorcycles are great. That is until he finally bought one. I told him to start out small....so he picked up a 96 Yamaha FZR (YZF?) 600 for about $3000. He drove it a few times and then dumped it once after hitting a gravel shoulder (didn't get hurt). He sold it a month after buying it. He said he just didn't feel safe on it.
It comes down to control. If you feel as though the bike is a part of you when you ride....you have more control then those who feel like they are just riding on something. Some have it...some don't. I'm not saying just because you have it means you are safe from all accidents....but I do mean you are more likely to avoid an accident.

DocL.... I understand your position for not wanting to get back on a Motorcycle. Just like my dad's accident...I wouldn't have blamed him if he never road again. Luck is a funny thing....kind of like lightening... :smile:

92NSX said:
for sure. here in FL you don't have a wear a helmet riding a motorcycle but you do a pedal bike???
That's news to me. AFAIK if you're over 18 you don't have to wear a helmet whilst riding a bicycle.

I sold my CBX last year and now after almost 30 years of riding don't have a motorcycle. I never liked wearing helmets and never did when it was legal to go without. Yeah, I know it's safer and all that but it diminished the enjoyment of riding so much I never could bring myself to wear it.

Anyway, 30 years riding and I never once put my bike down while moving. I retired undented and unrashed. :)

Hi

I am reading what you guys are writing and I do not understand.

Here is what I do not understand. First of all there is a million reasons to wear protective gear including a good helmet.

As I see it there are no good reasons to not wear protective gear. I seldom use my bike in town, but when I do I have driven without my protective gear. But always with a helmet, jacket and gloves. I live in a small town and can get anywhere within five minutes so the traffic is not that bad. But I usually use my bike to go on the "highway" (what you guys call twisties is what we have as our best roads..great actually). When I go for a ride I always (and I mean always) wear my protective gear.

Defensive driving? Yes that is what all who rides motorcycles need to do. Act as they do not know you are there. But that is not enough to survive on the street. If you dump it on gravel or oil or anything it does not matter if you have the talent or not. It can kill you and if you are lucky you are unhurt.

Expirience will get you far and will help you to survive on the street. Practice in safe inviroments on a track will also give you skills that can save you, but why not increase your possibility to survive by wearing protective gear?

I understand the "freedom" feeling you get from riding "naked". But I do not understand that that feeling is more importent than your safety.

I have had my fear share of accidents. Both my fault and other peoples fault. I have not gone down because of road conditons yet, but you never know. I have had 2 years on crutches after a bad accident, but I could not stop riding. I am more paranoid than those that follow me so I am "scared"/attentive of everyone when in traffic. :)

I wear Dainse two piece suite. Back protector. Shoei (the best), leather gloves with padding race type and good motorcycle boots. I also wear "sleep tight" or whats there name in my ears to protect my hearing.

If I am hit or go down these things will give me a better chance to survive. The freedomfeeling from wearing no helmet is worth not having because of that last reason.

Regards

Last edited:
DB92 said:
Yes well said , but Arai makes a better helmet.

My expirience (still can not spell that word correct ) is that I have a "Shoei head". I did not like the Arai interior.

Who makes the best helmet? I do not know. I know that Shoei make helmets that are at the top in safety tests.

Are Arai even better? Will check out some helmets tests in a couple of magazines I have laying around here.

Regards

But why ride around paranoid? If anything it will make your safety level decline. I you sure you ment paranoid?

Paranoid;Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others.

If i was in any way irrational when on a motorcycle i wouldnt admit to it!

Or maybe Im misunderstanding the defintion of the word.

The difference is most likley trivial. I was just messin. I just prefered the quality look and feel of the Arai's. They just seemed better quality to me.

DB92 said:
But why ride around paranoid? If anything it will make your safety level decline. I you sure you ment paranoid?

Paranoid;Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others.

If i was in any way irrational when on a motorcycle i wouldnt admit to it!

Or maybe Im misunderstanding the defintion of the word.

Hi

Well maybe a little bit over the top.

I do not distrust all drivers when I am out riding my motorcycle. But I consider all the time what people in cars can do and I try to be prepared (and not suprised) when they do something that could be potentially dangerous for me.

I do not feel that I am at danger all the time because that would break my concentration, but I am as focused as I can be. That is why I sleep like a baby after I have been out riding :)

Regards

martin said:
I understand the "freedom" feeling you get from riding "naked". But I do not understand that that feeling is more importent than your safety.
Do you wear a helmet when you drive your car?

Just thought I'd share one example, in my opinion, of why bikes get a dangerous reputation and why the statistics are so bad.
Two good buddies of mine just bought brand new R6's late last year, so between the both of them they have a total of about two months of riding experience. They are both 22 years old. Neither of them are insured or registered or licensed, but they have permits. One guy wears a helmet 90% of the time, the other 10% of the time. One guy is a pretty safe rider he doesn't screw around, no wheelies or any high speed stuff yet, actually he isn't riding right now because he's waiting to register his bike and get his license etc. The other guy is telling me he is working on his wheelie and he can almost shift gears while on one wheel, and he got a 115mph in a 55 ticket on his first day riding this year. And he rides with a bunch of guys who think they are in the movie "Biker Boyz". I don't ride with these guys too much because they live a ways from me and they're younger and have a different group of friends they hang out with too. Anyways I guess what I'm saying is what I see happening in front of me happens everywhere and probably a lot more than I know, I'm sure everyone who rides a rocket has someone they know who pretty much rides illegally and dangerously at the same time. Unfortunately these seem to be the guys that become the statistics that make bikes seem so dangerous, granted there are very unfortunate unavoidable accidents that happen to the safest riders, but unfortunate accidents can happen anywhere. Anyways just my opinion, and it sucks that rockets have such a bad reputation for those of us who ride respectfully and safely.

bodypainter said:
Do you wear a helmet when you drive your car?

Hi

No I do not.

Not sure where you are going with that, but to be completly safe I should lay on my sofa wearing full leather suite with helmet and all wrapped in "bubble paper". :)

At Nurburgring I used my motorcycle helmet when I drove the NSX and also was passanger in some other cars.

Regards

martin said:
Hi

I am reading what you guys are writing and I do not understand.

Here is what I do not understand. First of all there is a million reasons to wear protective gear including a good helmet.

As I see it there are no good reasons to not wear protective gear.
You have to remember that to many riders (especially in my area), posing is very important. The chopper craze is alive and well in America. These particular riders want to be seen, that means no full-faced helmets, which is not acceptable to use when riding a Harley or a custom chopper.

These comments aren't directed towards any member here, just my observations as a former rider. A close relative of mine likes to ride no helmet, one-handed, and a cigarette going. :confused:

Last edited:
headshot99r6 said:
Unfortunately these seem to be the guys that become the statistics that make bikes seem so dangerous, granted there are very unfortunate unavoidable accidents that happen to the safest riders, but unfortunate accidents can happen anywhere. Anyways just my opinion, and it sucks that rockets have such a bad reputation for those of us who ride respectfully and safely.

Great write up.... that makes a good point because I think there are more safe riders out there then crazy. I was talking with this one guy who owns a sportbike. He was telling me that he never stops for the police...he just get up to 140-160 and out runs them. He's done this 3 or 4 times. To me it's just stupid.
I don't always wear protective gear or even a helmet...but I ride safely. Sure anything can happen....but I could also get hit by a semi at an intersection wearing all the protective gear in the world.....including Martin's bubble wrap....and it wouldn't help me a bit. Yeah, my brain may be partially saved by that $500 Helmet.....but I'll be a veggie the rest of my life. Not for me. I believe when your time comes...there's no avoiding it. So why fear that moment. Sure I don't like broken bones, but the thrill of riding "naked" as you put it supersedes the risk of a broken bone or two….at least for now. I don't have any kids yet so my life is still mine.....I'm going to enjoy it while I can. :smile:

By the way Martin….thanks for including the road hazards out there like sand on the roads and oil spots. A buddy of mine slid is bike out on some sand his first day out. I wasn’t surprised…he’s not a very experienced rider. The only time I take corners aggressively is if I know the corner….especially after a winter where they must have dumped a truck load of sand on every street…. :mad: .

Here’s another funny story about a friend of mine who recently took up riding. He bought an older motorcycle (late 80’s 500cc??). Well he dumped it going around a corner. I asked him if he hit some dirt….”no” he said. Take it too fast?? “ahhh no”, he said. What happened then??? "I put Armor all tire cleaner on my tires… :frown: ….." Since he didn’t get hurt…..I laughed and laughed. Experience prevails in almost every aspect of life.

newby said:
. I don't have any kids yet so my life is still mine.....I'm going to enjoy it while I can. :smile:

I think you make the best point here. You don't have kids.... this is the exact reason I do not ride anymore. Having two kids that depend on me to put food on the table and be there for them makes a big difference. For the enjoyment I would get out of riding (and it's one of the things I enjoy most), it is not worth the risk to me.

Quote:[I'm sure everyone who rides a rocket has someone they know who pretty much rides illegally and dangerously at the same time. Unfortunately these seem to be the guys that become the statistics that make bikes seem so dangerous]

That dosnt make any sense. So would you rather it be the responsible riders
the ones that become the statistics? The majority of deaths and veggies will always be the individules with little or no control over themselves over responsible people who choose to be safe.

Why does it matter so much that the sport is veiwed as dangerous. Each person creates there own experience, most people are generaly stupid. There experience on a bike will reflect. The only possible way i can see the over all general veiw of bikes beinging dangerous negatively effecting responsible riders is insurance rates. They are not high so it dosnt really matter what the general populations veiw on bikes is,Does it?

Does anyone have any other reasons it would matter?
Other than your wife saying NO!!

DB92 said:
That dosnt make any sense. So would you rather it be the responsible riders
the ones that become the statistics? The majority of deaths and veggies will always be the individules with little or no control over themselves over responsible people who choose to be safe.

Why does it matter so much that the sport is veiwed as dangerous. Each person creates there own experience, most people are generaly stupid. There experience on a bike will reflect. The only possible way i can see the over all general veiw of bikes beinging dangerous negatively effecting responsible riders is insurance rates. They are not high so it dosnt really matter what the general populations veiw on bikes is,Does it?

Does anyone have any other reasons it would matter?
Other than your wife saying NO!!

What I simply meant was it is unfortunate that these people wind up crashing, as it is unfortunate that anyone crashes. yeah they probably have it coming if they screw around all the time but it still sucks when anyone crashes, moron or not. And you are correct it shouldn't matter how the sport is viewed, I was just stating one opinion on why it is viewed in such a way. But when you are talking to someone and you tell them you ride a crotch rocket, and if they don't ride themselves, 9 out of 10 people will say something to you along the lines of, oh my god that's soooooo dangerous, my friend crashed his doing a wheelie and was in the hospital for three months, how can you ride something like that. When I get that response it doesn't effect me or the way I think about what I ride, it just seems to be the most common response to crotch rocket related conversations. oh yeah another thing you are right about is the fact that most people are generally stupid, and all those stupid people out there are allowed to ride a motorcycle that can do 170 mph. oh well, as long as they don't take anyone else out in the process right.

headshot99r6 said:
What I simply meant was it is unfortunate that these people wind up crashing, as it is unfortunate that anyone crashes. yeah they probably have it coming if they screw around all the time but it still sucks when anyone crashes, moron or not. And you are correct it shouldn't matter how the sport is viewed, I was just stating one opinion on why it is viewed in such a way. But when you are talking to someone and you tell them you ride a crotch rocket, and if they don't ride themselves, 9 out of 10 people will say something to you along the lines of, oh my god that's soooooo dangerous, my friend crashed his doing a wheelie and was in the hospital for three months, how can you ride something like that. When I get that response it doesn't effect me or the way I think about what I ride, it just seems to be the most common response to crotch rocket related conversations. oh yeah another thing you are right about is the fact that most people are generally stupid, and all those stupid people out there are allowed to ride a motorcycle that can do 170 mph. oh well, as long as they don't take anyone else out in the process right.

Well put.

I never enjoyed those conversations that included a negative non rider or previous rider that couldnt hang with the sport. As for me I didnt hang with with the sport of street riding though i was an advanced rider but i dont bash the sport either. Not saying you did, just saying in general.

DB92 said:
Well put.

I never enjoyed those conversations that included a negative non rider or previous rider that couldnt hang with the sport. As for me I didnt hang with with the sport of street riding though i was an advanced rider but i dont bash the sport either. Not saying you did, just saying in general.

right on

I have had several bikes over the past 10 years. I have been in 4 accidents, all of which were mostly my fault. The worst was a 100 mph spill in the rain going through a turn. I was wearing shorts and a tank top and a Shoei helmet. I broke my hip and had some pretty raw road rash, but nothing over the top. Last summer I sold my last bike when God gave me my "freebie". I was going over 175 mph across a bridge that I wasnt too familar with. I forgot that it was a drawbridge and hit the metal grating going full speed(if you've riden across one of these, then you know what I am talking about). The handlebars were completely ripped from my grip and started slapping the tank violently. The bike was out of control. By the grace of God I did not fly off, nor did the bike go down. I was able to slow down and get it back under control before crashing. I sold the bike two days later.

There are only two types of motorcycle riders: Those who have crashed and those that will crash. Keep the shinny side up. :redface:

SNDSOUL said:
The worst was a 100 mph spill in the rain going through a turn. I was wearing shorts and a tank top and a Shoei helmet. I broke my hip and had some pretty raw road rash, but nothing over the top.

damn...I wouldn't even attempt a 100mph turn on city roads; especially in the rain...that's some crazy stuff... :eek:

SNDSOUL said:
I sold my last bike when God gave me my "freebie". I was going over 175 mph across a bridge that I wasnt too familar with. I forgot that it was a drawbridge and hit the metal grating going full speed(if you've riden across one of these, then you know what I am talking about). The handlebars were completely ripped from my grip and started slapping the tank violently. The bike was out of control. There are only two types of motorcycle riders: Those who have crashed and those that will crash. Keep the shinny side up. :redface:

If Gods grace was involved in any of your accidents i would say it was that turn! Tank slappers from my experience work themselves out. I had the 2001 R1 that was known to slap just a bit.

DB92 said:
The majority of deaths and veggies will always be the individules with little or no control over themselves over responsible people who choose to be safe.

Hi

My point is that there are people more crazy than me on the street. I can choose to be as safe as I want to be with helmet and gear, but when some moron takes a uturn or comes head on throug a turn it does not matter how much in control I am. I will probably be injured.

If I wear as much gear as I can, the chances are better to survive. Also if I have had a lot of practice I increase my chances to survive because I can control the bike better and "keep cool" throug a stressfull situation.

Regards

Back