• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.
I have attached a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. to my 91 NSX. I have placed the charger to the posts on the battery and am having trouble getting it to charge the battery. I am wondering if this is a proper way to keep the battery charged. I am open to all feedback.

thanks

I have attached a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. to my 91 NSX. I have placed the charger to the posts on the battery and am having trouble getting it to charge the battery. I am wondering if this is a proper way to keep the battery charged. I am open to all feedback.

thanks

Are the battery posts clean? Make sure you disconnect the battery from the car and charge this way to eliminate backfeeding the cars electronics (this is precautionary) as I have not looked at the electrical drawings for the car to see if there is a relay protecting any sensitive electronic componenets.
If your battery was taking a charge from the cars charging system then you should have no problem charging from an external source.

thanks

The trickle chargers often won't work if your battery is dead or close to it. These devices are really meant to prevent drain, not to add charge to a weak battery.

Try connecting the leads when the battery is fully charged and see if you get a positive connection.

Use the ring terminal connector from the batt. tend. & hook it to the fuse box on the RF wheel well/inner fender. Run the pos. wire along the wires entering the fuse box on the inboard side. Connect it to nut on the bus bar inside the fuse panel. Run the neg. wire to the mounting nut on the outboard side of the fuse box. You will need to pull the 2 halves of the wire apart some to get enough free play. there is a thread with pics of this, which is where I got the idea, somewhere on here. Possibly by malibu rapper. When you want to plug in slide the wire from the batt. tend. under the car, grab it with one of those flexible extending claw thingies near the open space by the bottom radiator hose, pull it up & connect. Unfortunately, Deltran doesn't make a 6 or 8 ft extension cable, just a 25 ft. Then you can run it to the grill opening & just connect easily.

PM me your email & I will send u a pic of mine.

Last edited:
This is how the book says to hook up the cables: red to the positive buss in the fuse box in the engine compartment (drivers side) - black to the engine bolt that has a " - " (negative) slash on the top of the bolt (it's about 10 inches from the fuse panel and sits right on top). I do mine this way and it works fine.

This is how the book says to hook up the cables: red to the positive buss in the fuse box in the engine compartment (drivers side) - black to the engine bolt that has a " - " (negative) slash on the top of the bolt (it's about 10 inches from the fuse panel and sits right on top). I do mine this way and it works fine.

I think mine are hooked up directly to positive / negative terminals. Is that bad? I need to go look.

I'm pretty sure my instructions told me to hook it up directly to the terminals....

wish I didn't throw it away

:confused:

I hook directly to the battery of all my vehicles with no problem. I'm not messing with the fuse box. Not sure why you would. Just make sure your terminals are clean. If they are, you're battery is probably shot anyway.

Because the battery is hard to get at & the terminal wire from Deltran is only about 10-12 inches long. Just disconnect your battery, hook up the ring terminals to the fuse panel on the RF fender as I described, reconnect battery, & you're done.

If you want to get fancy & convenient, get one of these and run it to the grill opening.

Just talked to the nice lady at Deltran & she said they are working on a 6ft extension cord. For now, a 12 ft is the shortest & she recommended this place to get one

Post 61 here

Perhaps someone will start using the Search Tender?

What do clean terminals have to do with his battery being shot?

I hook directly to the battery of all my vehicles with no problem. I'm not messing with the fuse box. Not sure why you would. Just make sure your terminals are clean. If they are, you're battery is probably shot anyway.

Last edited:
I think he's got the clamps hooked up to the battery properly...there can be other reasons like a bad battery or more likely the fact that the trickle charger isn't designed to charge a battery from zero to full. It might take weeks to trickle charge a battery to the point of cranking. That thing puts out very, very low voltage and is really designed to prevent drain. The trickle charger itself may not work unless the battery already has some life in it when you connect it. Mine doesn't.

I'm not sure how he knows the charger isn't working but I would guess he left it on for a few days and the battery was still fairly weak. Or the indicator light on the charger unit (if there is one) isn't on denoting an active charge or good connection.

I would put a meter reader to the charger and make sure that's working and then I would test the battery and make sure it can hold a charge. If the battery is toast it's going to drain faster than a trickle charger can charge it.

The Deltran Battery Tender Junior is a "Float" charger, not a trickle charger. The difference is that many conventional chargers will have a trickle mode - which essentially is just a mode with lower current. A float charger is unique in that it has the ability to "float" on and off as it senses the degree of charge. (A trickle charger stays on constantly and can be VERY damaging to a battery if connected continuously.)

The nice feature of the Battery Tender Junior is that it has a multi-colored LED that will tell you what is going on.

Blinking Red = Not connected to a battery or connected improperly.
Solid Red = Charging
Green = Charged (Standing by)

Also, assuming your battery is good AND that you do not have a drain that exceeds the output of the Tender, the Float charger is perhaps the BEST way to fully charge a battery - assuming you have the time. IOW, the low amperage, slow charge rate is much better for the longevity of your battery as compared to a quick, high-amperage charger.

I now have the car in storage and the charger/tender is working fine. I used a charger to charge the battery and then hooked up the tender and all is well. I have connected the ring connector to the posts as sugggested by PhiAlp44. I believe NSXGMS is correct in his statement that "It might take weeks to trickle charge a battery to the point of cranking. That thing puts out very, very low voltage and is really designed to prevent drain."

Thanks all for the input. Great help as always.

Back